Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Zack Sabre Jr.
Marty Scurll
Asuka
Takashi Sugiura
KENTA
Johnny Gargano
Kenny Omega
Dragon Lee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Dalton Castle
Marty Scurll
Asuka
Takashi Sugiura
Velveteen Dream
Sammy Guevara
Jushin Liger
Dragon Lee

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
ZSJ/Castle: While Castle has been extremely enjoyable, he's been physically a shell of his former self for a while now. Stretchy submission boi stole my heart in his PWG debut and has only gotten better. ZSJ goes over.
Wyatt/Scurll: Wyatt has been more or less hosed for, what, five years? Scurll's Progress run made him for me and has been good/great ever since.
Asuka/Brookes: Asuka might be the best women's worker in the WWE, but C C K 4 lyfe.
Rollins/Sugiura: I'm the first to admit I haven't seen as much material form Sugiura as I have from Rollins. But that Kiyomita match from this summer was better than anything Rollins has done since... 2015? also Sugiura is not a poo poo head on social media. Or well, I wouldn't know if he was, since I don't understand any Japanese.
Dream/KENTA: KENTA was always good.
Gargano/Guevara: Neither really stand out to me, but Gargano/Ciampa feud clears this hurdle.
Omega/Liger: uuuuuuuuuh *coin toss* yeah, Liger.
Lee/SCU: This is... the worst... possible pairing for Lee, since I genuinely enjoy SCU's shtick and Fallen Angel as almost two decades of quality matches in his back pocket.

Zack Sabre Jr.
Marty Scurll
Chris Brookes
Takashi Sugiura
KENTA
Johnny Gargano
Jushin Liger
SCU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Zack Sabre Jr.
Marty Scurll
Chris Brookes
abstain
KENTA
Johnny Gargano
Jushin Liger
Dragon Lee

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Zack Sabre Jr.
Marty Scurll
Asuka
Takashi Sugiura
KENTA
Johnny Gargano
Jushin Liger
Dragon Lee

Oops, I mistakingly voted for Rollins at first. Even if Rollins wasn't bootlicking to kill any goodwill he may have had, anyone involved in that Rollins/Fiend thing doesn't deserve a vote.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Zack Sabre Jr.
Marty Scurll
Asuka
Takashi Sugiura
KENTA
Johnny Gargano
Jushin Liger
Dragon Lee

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rather than just having Sugi win by default because no one likes Rollins, let's watch some 2019 Sugiura and recognise he's cool in his own right.
vs Go Shiozaki, Spring Navigation: Thank You & Goodbye Hakata Starlanes, 17th March
vs Kaito Kiyomiya (c), GHC Heavyweight Championship match, Global Junior Tag League, 9th June
vs Go Shiozaki, N1 Block A, 9th September
vs Kenoh, N1 Final, 16th September

There's plenty great 2018 matches too when he was GHC Heavyweight Champion, there's some very good 2019 tag matches, also the Marufuji match was great in this years N1, but that's plenty to be going on with. If you watch just one, watch the Kiyomiya match, it's NOAH's match of the year (that I've seen)

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Zack Sabre Jr.
abstain
Chris Brookes
Takashi Sugiura
KENTA
Sammy Guevara
Jushin Liger
Dragon Lee

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

forkboy84 posted:

Rather than just having Sugi win by default because no one likes Rollins, let's watch some 2019 Sugiura and recognise he's cool in his own right.
vs Go Shiozaki, Spring Navigation: Thank You & Goodbye Hakata Starlanes, 17th March
vs Kaito Kiyomiya (c), GHC Heavyweight Championship match, Global Junior Tag League, 9th June

There's plenty great 2018 matches too when he was GHC Heavyweight Champion, there's some very good 2019 tag matches, also the Marufuji match was great in this years N1, but that's plenty to be going on with. If you watch just one, watch the Kiyomiya match, it's NOAH's match of the year (that I've seen)

Thanks for this. I look forward to voting for these in the MOTYC thread next year.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Dalton Castle
Marty Scurll
Asuka
Takashi Sugiura
Velveteen Dream
Sammy Guevara
Kenny Omegaaaaaaaaa
Dragon Lee

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Zack Sabre Jr.
Marty Scurll
Asuka
Takashi Sugiura
KENTA
Sammy Guevara
Kenny Omega
Dragon Lee

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Zack Sabre Jr.
Marty Scurll
Chris Brookes
Takashi Sugiura
KENTA
Sammy Guevara
Jushin Liger
Dragon Lee

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

forkboy84 posted:

while trying to decide who to vote for in the first round i watched specifically these four matches and sugiura is my favorite wrestler now

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
Zack Sabre Jr.
Bray Wyatt
Asuka
Takashi Sugiura
Velveteen Dream
Johnny Gargano
Jushin Liger
Dragon Lee

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Zack Sabre Jr.
Bray Wyatt
Asuka
Takashi Sugiura
Velveteen Dream
Johnny Gargano
Jushin Liger
Dragon Lee

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Zack Sabre Jr.
Bray Wyatt
Asuka
Takashi Sugiura
Velveteen Dream
Johnny Gargano
Kenny Omega
Dragon Lee

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Zack Sabre Jr.
Bray Wyatt
Chris Brookes
Takashi Sugiura
Velveteen Dream
Johnny Gargano
Kenny Omega
Dragon Lee

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Zack Sabre Jr.
Marty Scurll
Asuka
. Takashi Sugiura
KENTA
. Sammy Guevara
Kenny Omega
SCU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Zack Sabre Jr.
Bray Wyatt
Asuka
Takashi Sugiura
KENTA
Sammy Guevara
Jushin Liger
SCU

all the funhouse stuff is on youtube and i like asuka's cabbage video & sweet hair

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

almost time for me to votey

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Results:

Zack Sabre Jr. 41, Dalton Castle 4
Marty Scurll 28, Bray Wyatt 13
Asuka 26, Chris Brookes 16
Takashi Sugiura 33, Seth Rollins 1
KENTA 32, Velveteen Dream 13
Sammy Guevara 26, Johnny Gargano 18
Jushin Liger 27, Kenny Omega 18
Dragon Lee 34, SCU 11

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

ban the Seth vote imo

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

That voter #isnotcool

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Hello, and welcome to the third round of the Rowdy Ringsports 256. We’re down to the final 64.

Special formatting request: Please only list the name of the person you are voting for from each match-up. This will be easier for me to count than bolding names from match-ups. I can work around this if necessary, but if you can vote by just listing the name of your choice, that would be great.

You can abstain from votes. You are not required to list that vote as ‘abstain,’ you just need to skip it.

Tomohiro Ishii
Finished 2nd in Favorite Active Wrestlers thread
Eliminated in Round 4 of 2017 WH-128 by Kenny Omega
Eliminated in Round 3 in 2015 by Adam Cole
Eliminated in Round 2 in 2013 by Kevin Steen

The Stone Pitbull is defying age by continuing to put on tremendous matches every time he steps in the ring. The MVP of the 2019 G1 Climax, everyone he faced he one of their best matches of the tournament with him, if not their best performance. A key part of the New Japan card, he could easily be the IWGP World Champion is given the chance.

Pete Dunne
Eliminated in Round 3 of 2017 WH-128 by Kazuchika Okada

Dunne is slowly being featured more by WWE after he was initially put in NXT UK, where he held the United Kingdom Championship for 685 days and defended it 19 times, though it felt more like five. Still, the Bruiserweight is a great worker, which you can see in his matches against WALTER, Roderick Strong, Velveteen Dream, and Joe Coffey.

Undisputed Era, Kyle O'Reilly, Bobby Fish, & Roderick Strong
O’Reilly: eliminated in Round 2 by Pentagon Jr.
Fish: eliminated in Round 1 of 2017 WH-128 by Shinsuke Nakamura
Strong: eliminated in Round 2 by Hiroshi Tanahashi

Undisputed Era is the hottest heel stable in WWE today. While this trio is lead by Adam Cole, the performances of O’Reilly, Fish & Strong this year have been very strong. Fish & O’Reilly are on their second run as NXT Tag Team Champions, while Strong now holds the North American Championship. They’ve all had great matches in the last two years, and should continue to do so going forward.

Katsuyori Shibata
Eliminated in Round 4 of 2017 WH-128 by AJ Styles
Eliminated in Round 2 in 2015 by Brock Lesnar
Eliminated in Round 2 in 2013 by Mark Henry

Shibata was on his way to a fantastic match with Kazuchika Okada in April 2017 when he did a shoot headbutt and gave himself a subdural hematoma that nearly killed him. While it’s still said he won’t be wrestling again, he did get physically involved in an angle with KENTA at this year’s G1 Final, so there’s still hope.

PAC
Finished 17th in Favorite Active Wrestlers thread
Eliminated in Round 2 of 2017 WH-128 by Zack Sabre Jr.
Eliminated in Round 1 in 2015 by Chris Hero
Eliminated in Round 3 in 2013 by Shinsuke Nakamura
Eliminated in Round 1 in 2011 by Daisuke Sekimoto

Another underutilized talent in WWE, PAC left in 2018 and returned to Dragon Gate. He reestablished himself as a top player there and won their Open the Dream Gate Championship two months after his return. He’s also toured the world, putting on great matches. He has joined AEW and already had a great match with Kenny Omega. With another win against Adam Page, he’s poised for a title shot in the near future.

Kento Miyahara
Eliminated in Round 4 of 2017 WH-128 by Minoru Suzuki

Arguably the best male wrestler in Japan outside of New Japan, Miyahara has revitalized AJPW. He’s charismatic and an extremely smooth worker who has great matches without pulling out crazy moves. He already has sixteen singles matches on Cagematch’s list of recommended matches, and Dave Meltzer has given him four ****3/4 matches this year against KAI, Yuji Okabayashi, Jake Lee, & Naoya Nomura.

Nick FUCKIN Gage
Finished 18th in Favorite Active Wrestlers thread
Eliminated in Round 2 of 2017 WH-128 by Kenny Omega

Still the craziest motherfucker on the planet.

Hiromu Takahashi
Eliminated in quarter-finals of 2017 WH-128 by Kazuchika Okada

Hiromu was well on his way to establishing himself as one of the best junior heavyweights when he broke his neck in a match with Dragon Lee at last year’s G1 Special in San Francisco. It has been rumored that his return should be announced soon. If you’re unfamiliar with his work, he had great matches with Will Ospreay, Taiji Ishimori, and El Desperado last year, as well as with Dragon Lee.

Will Ospreay
Finished 9th in Favorite Active Wrestlers thread
Eliminated in Round 3 of 2017 WH-128 by Kento Miyahara

Ospreay was always a very exciting worker, but he’s hit another level in 2019. No longer just a high flyer, he’s combined his extreme athletic talents with a smarter approach in the ring and has made himself one of the fan favorites in New Japan. Still working his way up the card, Ospreay continues to amaze in every match.

Yuka Sakazaki
Did not appear in 2017 WH-128

One of the three surviving members of TJPW's first class, Yuka's infectious personality and in ring ability have made her a crowd favourite for years. It took only one match to endear her to the hearts of an all new audience at AEW's Double or Nothing PPV and with an upcoming Princess of Princess title shot at the legendary Sumo Hall against former partner, Shoko Nakajima, it's only a matter of time before the whole world is hearing AYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY Thanks to George W Bushi for his help with this profile!

LAX, Ortiz & Santana

LAX has been establishing themselves as one of the top U.S. tag teams over the past two years. They spent most of that time with Impact Wrestling as their home promotion, where they won their tag team championship four times. They also had entertaining feuds with Hernandez & Homicide and then the Lucha Bros. They also expanded their presence on the indies, making acclaimed appearances in PWG and PROGRESS. They’ve now signed with AEW and made their debut on All Out with a run in on both the Young Bucks and the Lucha Bros.

Roppongi 3k, SHO & YOH

Sho & Yoh are already a great tag team, having won the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship three times just six years into their career. They both had great runs in Best of the Super Junior tournament as individuals, and they’ve had really good matches against BUSHI & Shingo Takagi and Aussie Open.

Pentagon Jr.
Finished 10th in Favorite Active Wrestlers thread
Eliminated in Round 3 of 2017 WH-128 by Kota Ibushi
Eliminated in Round 2 in 2015 by Kota Ibushi

Pentagon Jr. is one of the most charismatic workers in the world. He shines in solo and tag matches, the latter with his brother Fenix, and has basically gone on a world tour while still showing up on occasion in his home company of AAA. His Cero Miedo catchphrase might be the most over in wrestling.

Kevin Owens
Lost in ultra-finals of 2017 WH-128 to Daniel Bryan

Kevin Owens has had an interesting couple of years. He’s in the middle of a feud with Shane McMahon, which is giving him promo time. That’s good. It’s also having him wrestle Shane McMahon and use a lawyer to get his job back. That’s less good. Still, in the past year, he’s had good matches with Seth Rollins, Kofi Kingston, and a triangle match with Daniel Bryan & Mustafa Ali. He’s still one of the best on the mic.

Maki Ito
Finished 25th in Favorite Active Wrestlers thread

In a weird industry, Ito’s story stands out for how bizarre it is. A former J-Pop idol, she’s shifted to being a wrestler and has become one of the top names in Tokyo Joshi Pro. She also enjoys learning curses in English and tweeting about them. All in all, she’s the most complete wrestler in this bracket.

Rush
Eliminated in Round 2 of 2017 WH-128 by Minoru Suzuki
Eliminated in Round 1 in 2015 by John Cena

Rush was always the most charismatic regular with CMLL. And then a dispute between the company, Rush, and his brother Dragon Lee broke up that relationship. Rush is a very talented wrestler, with tons of charisma and a very capable in-ring worker. He just won the RoH World Championship from Matt Taven in a very good match. If he can be marketed properly by RoH, he should revitalize that company.

Your ballot:

Tomohiro Ishii vs. Pete Dunne
Undisputed Era vs. Katsuyori Shibata
PAC vs. Kento Miyahara
Nick Gage vs. Hiromu Takahashi
Will Ospreay vs. Yuka Sakazaki
LAX vs. Roppongi 3k
Pentagon Jr. vs. Kevin Owens
Maki Itoh vs. Rush

Voting closes at 7 p.m. Eastern on Friday, or whenever I get in front of a computer after that.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Tomohiro Ishii
Katsuyori Shibata
Kento Miyahara
Nick FUCKIN Gage
Yuka Sakazaki
LAX
Pentagon Jr.
Maki Itoh

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Tomohiro Ishii
Undisputed Era
PAC
Nick Gage
Will Ospreay
LAX
Pentagon Jr
Maki Itoh

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Tomohiro Ishii
Undisputed Era
PAC
Hiromu Takahashi
Will Ospreay
LAX
Pentagon Jr.
Maki Itoh

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Here are a couple of stats I put together for the second round.

Results for WWE wrestlers opposite non-WWE: 3-25 (winners: Matt Riddle, Daniel Bryan, Asuka)

Results for the top 32 (from the J-Ru vote): 26-6
Losers from that group: Adam Cole, Cesaro, WALTER, Samoa Joe, Kenny Omega, Velveteen Dream

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tomohiro Ishii
Katsuyori Shibata
PAC
Hiromu Takahashi
Will Ospreay
Roppongi 3k
Pentagon Jr.
Maki Itoh

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Pete Dunne
Undisputed Era
PAC
Nick Gage
Yuka Sakazaki
LAX
Pentagon Jr.
Maki Itoh

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Tomohiro Ishii
Undisputed Era
PAC
Hiromu Takahashi
Yuka Sakazaki
Roppongi 3k
Kevin Owens
Maki Itoh

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Tomohiro Ishii
Katsuyori Shibata
Kento Miyahara
Nick Gage
Yuka Sakazaki
LAX
Pentagon Jr
Maki Itoh

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tomohiro Ishii
Katsuyori Shibata
Kento Miyahara
Hiromu Takahashi
Yuka Sakazaki
Roppongi 3k
Pentagon Jr.
Rush

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tomohiro Ishii
Kento Miyahara
Nick Gage
Yuka Sakazaki
LAX
Pentagon Jr
Maki Itoh

PAC/Kento is the most conflicted I've been yet

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Tomohiro Ishii
Katsuyori Shibata
PAC
Nick Gage
Yuka Sakazaki
LAX
Pentagon Jr.
Rush (at least until somebody teaches Maki "chinga tu madre")

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

If you vote against Ishii you should be banned

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

Tomohiro Ishii
Undisputed Era
PAC
Hiromu Takahashi
Will Ospreay
LAX
Pentagon Jr.