Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I hope Auralnauts dubs one of the scenes with Shrimply Pibbles' dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

AccountSupervisor posted:

He was in the D23 leaked footage as Doctor Pershing.

They must have recast him into that new role.

I don't think he was ever confirmed as Doctor Pershing. His character in the leaks:
https://twitter.com/citizengrange/status/1117687850995265541

Looks the same as the character from the second trailer released a few weeks ago (timestamped):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmI7WKrAtqs&t=88s

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

teagone posted:

I don't think he was ever confirmed as Doctor Pershing. His character in the leaks:
https://twitter.com/citizengrange/status/1117687850995265541

Looks the same as the character from the second trailer released a few weeks ago (timestamped):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmI7WKrAtqs&t=88s

Wow I absolutely Mandela Effected my self with this :psyduck:

I have memories of reacting to him in that 5min clip leak in that outfit and everything.

Thanks for correcting me.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

lol u poz bro posted:

The Mandalorian good
No, it's goddamn amazing.

Favreau and Filoni "get" Star Wars better than anyone not named George Lucas.

This is the ROTJ sequel I've been waiting for over 30 years. It blows away all other post Lucas live action movies out of the water.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel like George Lucas would fit in very well on SA.

The Darth Icky story is like something out of golden age FYAD, the man absolutely has a taste for loving with people.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Cheesus posted:

This is the ROTJ sequel I've been waiting for over 30 years. It blows away all other post Lucas live action movies out of the water.

that may be so, but im still not giving disney another cent

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Cheesus posted:

pump the brakes dude its one episode of a series

it felt really fan-service to me. like borderline den film with a mid budget

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I'm a Filoni fanboy, but the direction of the pilot was... it was ok/fine/serviceable. It's for sure a good start for him, and I'm legit excited to see him grow as a live-action filmmaker because the dude is 100% an artist and I want to see what he can bring to the medium for Star Wars.

The rest of the pilot was good. I mentioned this in the Star Wars TV thread, but the big shootout at the end of the pilot was superb, and I felt like Filoni really found his footing there. Though, some of the CG—notably the first couple shots of the The Mandalorian's ship, and those first land speeders—looked fairly low-to-mid tier budget VFX. It all definitely felt like a TV show most of the time production wise, but overall I dig the aesthetic. It's odd though; the trailers made it seem like the production values were way higher, even specific shots exclusive to the pilot episode. Dunno, might just be me.

Ammanas posted:

I don't know if fanservice is the right word to use. Fan-film maybe? The pilot gives heavy Rogue One vibes (which felt like a big budget fan film), but without the fanservice for me. The pilot was more interested in establishing the Mandalorian mythos, which like 99% of the Star Wars fandom probably knows nothing about. There weren't any groan-worthy callbacks tbh. Some easter eggs, sure, but nothing overtly obnoxious.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I just finished it. I want to copy the sentiments and say that I did enjoy it. If they eased up on the winky nods to poo poo we already know, it will be the best Star Wars thing since clone wars. It shows more promise now then the premier of clone wars showed, that’s for sure.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It felt a lot like Samurai Jack to me.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Samurai Jack comparison nails it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ammanas posted:

I laughed my rear end of at the miniaturized Carbonite chamber. Such dumb fan bullshit.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched The Phantom Menace again (Blu-ray, biznatch) and I have to state the obvious: it’s a great movie and the podracing scene is aces.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

If there isn't a Chewie-Kylo Pieta pose in this new star war movie it was all a waste. Also, if threepio doesn't get to go into a gigantic oil bath at the end on the droid version of that hedonist toga spa planet on Next Generation

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

I laughed my rear end of at the miniaturized Carbonite chamber. Such dumb fan bullshit.

the portable carbonite, the dumb posing in the zek's office, the little monkey thing being roasted, the entirety of the 'ig88' scene, and what the bounty target is

the most eyerolling of them all is the clan of mandolorians sitting around chilling and they all have their helmets on. like they never take them off. its ludicrous

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

freezing someone in carbonite was never exclusive to Han in the chamber on Bespin. the issue in ESB was recalibrating that particular chamber to freeze people safely, not that nobody had ever been frozen in carbonite before.

this is reinforced by leia knowing han has hibernation sickness and is pretty confident about the symptoms and that he’ll get better soon.

its weird to me that people get bent out of shape about other people being frozen in carbonite in other Star Wars fiction

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

it speaks to a lack of creativity seen in sw properties especially under Disney's reign. there are literally endless possibilities to how else a bounty hunter might bring in a target but of course it's carbonite because thats something from when star wars was good!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alec Eiffel posted:

I just watched The Phantom Menace again (Blu-ray, biznatch) and I have to state the obvious: it’s a great movie and the podracing scene is aces.

My roommates love for the prequels is infectious. I don’t like them but I enjoy watching them, and not even ironically.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's a balance to be struck between recycling familiar imagery and introducing new. A more conservative approach isn't inherently wrong, but it's become more than a bit tendentious of Disney's productions.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

My roommates love for the prequels is infectious. I don’t like them but I enjoy watching them, and not even ironically.

Infectious is right. They're contagious. Goofy in a lot of ways, but they're just so interesting.

The whole "Prequel Memes" cultural movement (despite likely being a disney psyop to some level) has created some pretty funny content and made a lot of people look at some weird movies more fondly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The memes helped a lot. No doubt.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ammanas posted:

the portable carbonite, the dumb posing in the zek's office, the little monkey thing being roasted, the entirety of the 'ig88' scene, and what the bounty target is

the most eyerolling of them all is the clan of mandolorians sitting around chilling and they all have their helmets on. like they never take them off. its ludicrous

This is nitpicky as poo poo but I guess it's true that Star Wars fans don't like Star Wars.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ammanas posted:

Disney Star Wars has broken you.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The real antagonist in the show is Maclunkey.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MacClunky means no worries
For the rest of your days
It’s our problem free
Philosophy

MacClunky

*pew pew*

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I saw The Mandalorian last night. I went to bed screaming and crying at the lack of seriousness in this franchise where a Muppet fights Dracula with a laser sword.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Halloween Jack posted:

I saw The Mandalorian last night. I went to bed screaming and crying at the lack of seriousness in this franchise where a Muppet fights Dracula with a laser sword.

Well, does a Muppet fight Dracula with a laser sword in The Mandalorian?

Yeah, I thought not.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Solid performance from Ron Perlman though.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

wasn't that Nick Nolte?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Grendels Dad posted:

Give it time? Herzog did direct Nosferatu the Vampire. Get ready for Yaby to flip out on him.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In the battle of yaby vs boda, I'm taking a strong pro-boda position

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, I thought not.

Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
If Bill Burr somehow gets cut out, the show is forever dead to me.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Why? His latest special sucks.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In the prequels, isn't it kinda weird that facism uses capital as a hapless pawn in it's grand scheme instead of them working hand in hand and the captilist trade federation being just as evil instead of hapless fools?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Fsmhunk posted:

In the prequels, isn't it kinda weird that facism uses capital as a hapless pawn in it's grand scheme instead of them working hand in hand and the captilist trade federation being just as evil instead of hapless fools?

By a quirk of fate the capitalists are all minorities.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Fsmhunk posted:

The government and capital working together is just what the Republic was normally. It was terrible for a lot of people.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah obviously but it's pretty clear to me Lucas is trying to show that capital is a big part of how facism grows to power, but they're all ignorant about what they're actually doing. I don't feel like that fits into the movies overarching themes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Naboo is also capital. The humans at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah it's all a bit..mmm clunky. Which is coincidentally what all those dudes are yelling when Anakin chops them up in the latest version of episode 3 only on Disney Plus