Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Ranzear posted:

There is also a trope that each of the 'combining' mecha is a classical element: Earth, Fire, Wind, Water. A big excavation drill goes with the 'Earth' element.

What’s the Fire element vehicle? I imagine the classic fire truck is actually water, ya know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

OptimusShr posted:

Can you go into detail?

no

edit: not to be glib, but literally no. I know it aired in Japan in the 60s and was very popular and influential to mecha and Tokusatsu stuff, but I have no more information than that

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 12, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Japanese Animation Guide History of RobotAnime, page 10 posted:

The 20-year anniversary of the end of the war in the Pacific ushered in a worldwide boom for war dramas. A great number of war films were being produced both domestically and abroad, and Japanese kids' magazines teemed with special features and dramatic illustrations of wartime vehicles. Plastic model kits of the Zero Fighter and the battleship Yamato flew off store shelves.

Models of military tanks, aircraft, and ships, each featuring the distinctive design sense of their respective nations, came to function as communication tools for adults and their children. The nationality, year of production, and model number for each military vehicle stimulated the natural categorizing and collecting instincts of young boys. And the "mechanics" of the Zero fighter, with its retractable landing gear, sliding canopy, folding wings and landing lights, greatly appealed to kids and would eventually inspire the gimmicks incorporated into later robot designs.

Children born during this first generation of TV anime (around the early 1960s) were not only raised by parents who had experienced World War II themselves as elementary and junior high school students, but grew up in an atmosphere of fascination for weaponry stoked by kids' magazines of the day. Yoshiyuki Tomino and the other creators of "Mobile Suit Gundam" certainly fit this mold; the use of model numbers to distinguish the robots as weapons was inspired by memories of the World War II fad from their youth. In other words, the worldwide boom for war dramas represents another one of the roots of robot anime.

That said, World War II weaponry represented classic, antiquated designs, and came with the moral issues inherent in that they were used to kill and maim during war. "Thunderbirds" upended this paradigm by re-casting these weapons as "rescue vehicles" endowed with tremendous power. They stimulated imaginations not as war machines, but rather as examples of cutting edge scientific progress.

Thunderbirds featured vehicles numbered one through five, each optimized for a different mission and with distinctive silhouettes. Thunderbird 1 was a hypersonic rocket plane with a swing-wing mechanism, an early "transformation" system. Thunderbird 2 was a heavy transport carrier aircraft equipped with detachable containers, representing an early "combining" system. These "transforming/combining" elements represent the roots of similar gimmicks that would be used to great effect in later Japanese robot anime shows.

[...]

"Thunderbirds" greatly influenced the sequel to the 1967 show "Ultraman," called "Ultraseven." In "Ultraseven," the Science Patrol's base was constructed deep in the mountains and housed three vehicles, Ultra Hawk 1, 2, and 3, whose launches visually echoed those of the Thunderbirds machines – and blazed another path for Japanese robot anime as well. Shows of this era, including anime, tokusatsu, and marionette shows, came to be collectively called "TV manga" in Japan.

Thunderbirds was influential not on just mecha anime, but basically all Japanese science fiction.

But in particular: Mazinger Z and all the other early Dynamic Pro robot shows are loaded with naked Thunderbirds references. Also, Tohoku Shinsha, which produced the first non-Dynamic Pro robot show after Maz Z became super popular, straight-up held the Japanese broadcasting rights to The Thunderbirds.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 12, 2019

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

What’s the Fire element vehicle? I imagine the classic fire truck is actually water, ya know?

You know what? It might have just been a transformers thing when I was a kid. I can't really find any mecha series that really follows it. I just always thought of the drill one being earth and air being the one that flies.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I never watched the Transformers stuff that was made for Japan, but I’ve heard they get wild.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
I'm still waiting for Super God Masterforce to get into SRW.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

Thunderbirds was influential not on just mecha anime, but basically all Japanese science fiction.

But in particular: Mazinger Z and all the other early Dynamic Pro robot shows are loaded with naked Thunderbirds references. Also, Tohoku Shinsha, which produced the first non-Dynamic Pro robot show after Maz Z became super popular, straight-up held the Japanese broadcasting rights to The Thunderbirds.

hideaki anno was a big fan of Century 21 stuff (he was a member of anime club called SHADO, named for the secretive anti-alien taskforce in UFO), and eva specifically has tonnes of little shoutouts.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Is there an easy explanation for what's what with Getter Robo? I saw some of Shin Getter Robo recommended to me randomly on youtube and it piqued my interest but looking into it I found a Go Nagai 15 series long multiverse nightmare. According to wikipedia the manga and TV series are connected to themselves but not each other, and the OVAs are all standalone? Is this accurate? Am I in for a deep dive or can/should I just pick one or two?

I'm generally not much of a mecha guy, and the ones I like tend to be of the bombastic/hotblooded nature, rather than the space opera or serious political/personal drama stuff. Whatever I saw in that video seemed like my kind of thing.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

TriffTshngo posted:

Is there an easy explanation for what's what with Getter Robo? I saw some of Shin Getter Robo recommended to me randomly on youtube and it piqued my interest but looking into it I found a Go Nagai 15 series long multiverse nightmare. According to wikipedia the manga and TV series are connected to themselves but not each other, and the OVAs are all standalone? Is this accurate? Am I in for a deep dive or can/should I just pick one or two?

I'm generally not much of a mecha guy, and the ones I like tend to be of the bombastic/hotblooded nature, rather than the space opera or serious political/personal drama stuff. Whatever I saw in that video seemed like my kind of thing.

the manga is the core narrative of getter robo, though it will forever remain unfinished in the full sweep of its story because of the passing of its creator. any animated adaptations are zooming-in or reinterpretations of segments of that manga, whether that's the old toei series making it into saturday morning cartoon form, new getter robo giving certain premises a(n even more) turboviolent reimagining, getter armageddon extrapolating an alternate future from the first two arcs of the manga, and so on.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TriffTshngo posted:

Getter Robo is a set of distinct continuities that just happen to have the same character and robot designs. You can mostly pick up anything and be good to go, and each of the OVAs + the 2004 New Getter Robo range from good-to-great. There isn't any real interconnected multiverse beyond some vague gesturing. Don't expect much plot.

Aside from those, the Getter Robo Go manga is fantastic, and veers between being preposterously dumb and more clever than you'd expect. The Shin Getter Robo manga is a follow-up to that, and Getter Robo Arc was the (tragically never completed) follow-up to that.

Other stuff exists, but is mostly not worth seeking out.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

If all you want is hot-blooded robot action any of the ovas are fine.

Shin vs Neo is probably the most accessible and is a good introduction to the characters and concepts that carry across the series. Probably the best looking Getter anime

Getter Robo Armageddon is a post apocalyptic reimagining that's a lot of fun but pretty uneven writing wise because it's jamming together a ton of references to the manga and a lot of the author's other works.

New Getter Robo is a remake of the original manga that also covers some of the later manga material in an entirely new way, and throws in samurai and oni for good measure. This one is wild and unpredictable and best manages to nail the balance of hot blooded manly action and weird sombre horror that makes the Getter series so unique

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

All you need to know going into Getter Robo

The entire manga is in English and is worth reading

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Shin vs Neo is probably the most accessible and is a good introduction to the characters and concepts that carry across the series. Probably the best looking Getter anime

Getter Robo Armageddon is a post apocalyptic reimagining that's a lot of fun but pretty uneven writing wise because it's jamming together a ton of references to the manga and a lot of the author's other works.

New Getter Robo is a remake of the original manga that also covers some of the later manga material in an entirely new way, and throws in samurai and oni for good measure. This one is wild and unpredictable and best manages to nail the balance of hot blooded manly action and weird sombre horror that makes the Getter series so unique

Armageddon also had a director change after the first three episodes... and they lost all the notes. So, that doesn't help things in being coherent, basically.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

GorfZaplen posted:

I showed Shin vs Neo to some friends as an introduction and turns out it's actually really hard to get into if you don't already have a basic concept of what Getter is and who these Ryoma/Hayato/Musashi jokers are. New Getter starts slower and went over a lot better. If you already have some backing in what is a Getter then Shin vs Neo is a good starter anime, but if you're coming in blind I'd say New is the better choice.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Read the entire manga on a nice highres monitor.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Thanks for the breakdowns. I'll start with the Shin/New OVA, then Shin vs Neo, and if I'm into them I'll give the manga a shot.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TriffTshngo posted:

Thanks for the breakdowns. I'll start with the Shin/New OVA, then Shin vs Neo, and if I'm into them I'll give the manga a shot.

That seems good. New is definitely the best way to start, it's a self-contained story that properly explains everything, is brutal as Getter should be and has pretty good music. I'm also a giant fan of the manga but it takes a while to get going, better to get into it with an idea of what it will become.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

All the OVAs are good but New is definitely the best place to start.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

chiasaur11 posted:

Armageddon also had a director change after the first three episodes... and they lost all the notes. So, that doesn't help things in being coherent, basically.

By all accounts Imagawa lost the notes on purpose and still cackles about it to this day, even if it was one of a long string of production shenanigans that probably torpedoed his career

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

By all accounts Imagawa lost the notes on purpose and still cackles about it to this day, even if it was one of a long string of production shenanigans that probably torpedoed his career

I don't think he cackles about it, or purposefully hosed it over. He's pretty reluctant to talk about it in interviews and typically says that it's best left in the past.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I don't think he cackles about it, or purposefully hosed it over. He's pretty reluctant to talk about it in interviews and typically says that it's best left in the past.

Really? Last time I read an interview on the subject it had a pretty strong vibe of "they wouldn't let me do what I wanted so gently caress em, hope they had fun without any notes." This was like a decade ago, though.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Really? Last time I read an interview on the subject it had a pretty strong vibe of "they wouldn't let me do what I wanted so gently caress em, hope they had fun without any notes." This was like a decade ago, though.

Oh, I found it and read it again and you're right, he says he hopes that it ended up inconsistent. That's a pretty mean thing to say

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Oh, I found it and read it again and you're right, he says he hopes that it ended up inconsistent. That's a pretty mean thing to say

I mean, I love his work but there's kind of a reason imagawa hasn't had a major project in the last decade

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Crap. Shin Mazinger is just over a decade old, isn’t it?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think Shin Mazinger's SRW debut is a decade old at this point.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Probably 8ish. The TV show ended 10 years & 2 months ago.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

srwz2.1 came out in 2011, so yeah, 8.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, I finished Big O.

Figured that having handled Eva, Lain, FLCL, Monster A Go Go, and Inferno Cop would make this one pretty easy to digest, even with all the talk about the ending being a weird one.

I think that teaches us all a valuable lesson about hubris.

So!

First off, I know there were contracts for the possibility of more episodes, but apparently Chiaka J. Konaka wasn't planning on actually explaining everything no matter how many episodes he got, and the initial plan was for 26 episodes. Add in it ending with "We have come to terms" rather than "To Be Continued", and it seems like this ending was at least accepted by the team that made the show as an ending. We're not getting an easy out. Instead, we have to negotiate with the episodes we got.

So, since we need to start somewhere, it's fair to start where the show does, with Roger O. Smith. What do we know?

First, he's a louse. That's the one indisputable truth of Paradigm city. But that one's so obvious we can leave it alone for now. Second, though, he's not a Tomato. Despite the whole season implying it, we see in the finale that Gordon knew the "crop" he grew in the city, and that Roger's not part of it. He's probably not an android, despite the assembly line flashback, because he's not so heavy elevators have problems. What he is, though, in addition to a louse, is a Negotiator. More than likely, THE negotiator. Someone who meets with the prince of the world and somehow arranges the state of things once the world ends. (Whatever Paradigm city is, Roger and Dorothy step out of it for the final negotiation. Somehow.) And he probably did it at least once before. Somehow.

I feel like I made some progress here, but trying to go further at the moment feels like a way to go mad, so... stopping now.

Basically, there is no Carol in HR, and this office is a ghost town.

Overall, I think I liked season 1's case of the week stuff better, but season 2 was definitely interesting.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

chiasaur11 posted:

So, I finished Big O.

Figured that having handled Eva, Lain, FLCL, Monster A Go Go, and Inferno Cop would make this one pretty easy to digest, even with all the talk about the ending being a weird one.

:allears: That about sums it up.

Also, it's looking like SRW GC's translation patch is wrapping up, at least the main story is. No idea what's left, or how long that means it'll take to be released, but huzzah more english SRW.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

chiasaur11 posted:

So, I finished Big O.

I wanna be a jerk here and say to watch 12 oz mouse next

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watch the original 60's The Prisoner

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
SSSS Gridman is also very similar to Big O (plot wise if not aesthetic wise).

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Sakurazuka posted:

Watch the original 60's The Prisoner
This is just a good recommendation in general.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Schwarzwald posted:

SSSS Gridman is also very similar to Big O (plot wise if not aesthetic wise).

Yup, watch SSS Gridman next, but don't dig too deep as to how they might be similar.

I quite enjoy quoting Schwarzwald in this context, too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ranzear posted:

Yup, watch SSS Gridman next, but don't dig too deep as to how they might be similar.

They should have brought over his Dub Voice Actor for Super Robot Wars.

He's so good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ranzear posted:

There is only one truth: that my opinions are good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

There is only one truth: that my opinions are good.

We all have choices. Some people like to stand in the rain without an umbrella. That's what it means to live free.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Schwarzwald is the most relatable villain because he uses the power of God wielded by man to airdrop printed out copies of his effortposts

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Look, when you go to the trouble of printing out your zine, you want literally anyone to take a copy.

(I'm enjoying this Big O discussion, because it's been years since I've watched it and it has a warm, fuzzy place in my heart)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

Schwarzwald is the most relatable villain because he uses the power of God wielded by man to airdrop printed out copies of his effortposts

Something I've seen pointed out is that the viewers generally relate to Schwarzwald's monomaniacal quest for TRUTH, but the show endorses Roger, who accepts there's always going to be poo poo he doesn't know. While Smith faces down harsh realities when they come up, he generally tries to let sleeping dogs lie. He's not a reporter seeking facts, he's a negotiator trying to find a solution everyone can live with. And in the end, the show gives an ending that's satisfying if you can just accept it in the broad strokes, and completely maddening if you try to find the Real Answer.