Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Hey guys excited to play the pokemans for the first time since Red, what starter are you guys picking????

That skull looks like a real jerk.

Gonna box my starter for Falinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Hey guys excited to play the pokemans for the first time since Red, what starter are you guys picking????

If were to buy Sw/Sh, it would go for Sobble Squad.
Scorbunny is a close second, leaks considered.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Live Free posted:

Again huh? Are you visiting from 8chan or /pol/ or something?

Get a better gimmick.

Anyway, dumb question about the Pokémon anime (wow, it is weird and unsettling how my browser inserts the é): What happened to Gary? I remember him being knocked out of the first tournament, then I think we was in the next section for a bit, but by that time I fell off the series.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Scorbunny owns and is the best starter

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

qnqnx posted:

If were to buy Sw/Sh, it would go for Sobble Squad.
Scorbunny is a close second, leaks considered.
can't believe so many people are choosing the Incorrect starters, aka: not grookey

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

My starter shall be purchasing a different game entirely, ha ha

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Control Volume posted:

My starter shall be purchasing a different game entirely, ha ha

Start your monitor

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Unlucky7 posted:

Get a better gimmick.

Anyway, dumb question about the Pokémon anime (wow, it is weird and unsettling how my browser inserts the é): What happened to Gary? I remember him being knocked out of the first tournament, then I think we was in the next section for a bit, but by that time I fell off the series.

He was a major recurring character during the Johto arc. He was an actual rival to Ash this time around, and actually did things besides just show up and be a jerk. He and Ash ended up having a full 6-on-6 battle during the Johto League tourney, which Ash won. It's a pretty awesome battle, tbh.

After that he retired from active Pokemon training and became a Pokemon Professor like his grandfather. He had at least one of the special Chronicles episodes focusing on him, and he appeared in in the main series again a handful of times after that.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

my brain says Scorbunny, but my heart says Sobble

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm probably gonna go with the bunny but I may try to nab the others. There's so many cool new mons and I'm also a sucker for Eeveelutions too...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Blaziken386 posted:

can't believe so many people are choosing the Incorrect starters, aka: not grookey

we're brothers in a sin cursed world, a world of goddamn crybaby lizards and way too humanoid bugs bunny rear end bunnies. Grookey Gang is the only true path.

(actually I love all three of them and this is the first gen in a long while I'll want to get all of the starters)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
If they had actually given grookey a gun he'd be the best, but alas, game freaks are idiots who cannot make a game Correctly!!!!!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If they had actually given grookey a gun he'd be the best, but alas, game freaks are idiots who cannot make a game Correctly!!!!!

Pokemon Gun is slated for release next year as the third in the gen, can't go spoiling it

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

I like Sobble's final form the most, but its movepool is almost non-functional, so Grookey it is.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

gimme the bonny

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I like Sobble's final form the most, but its movepool is almost non-functional, so Grookey it is.

i'm picking sobble because my entire team is decided solely by how the pokemon look

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently to evolve Farfetch’d you need to KO 3 Pokémon with it in a single battle. That’s kinda annoying.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Scorbunny owns and is the best starter

I know this probably isn’t intended, but I love the loose Burger King feet lettuce implication here.

Also, I’m kind of sad SwSh is apparent poo poo. I just got a Switch for my birthday with the expectation this would be the main reason.

I slightly happier news, I’ve been replaying Black and plan on restarting Black 2 after finishing the post game and it has been super fun. It really is the best generation. (I just wish the encounter rate wasn’t so drat high. Gotta keep those repels stocked.)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

RatHat posted:

Apparently to evolve Farfetch’d you need to KO 3 Pokémon with it in a single battle. That’s kinda annoying.

i dunno, that sounds rad as gently caress as an evolve condition. it's neat when they do interesting stuff with it.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Vandar posted:

He was a major recurring character during the Johto arc. He was an actual rival to Ash this time around, and actually did things besides just show up and be a jerk. He and Ash ended up having a full 6-on-6 battle during the Johto League tourney, which Ash won. It's a pretty awesome battle, tbh.

After that he retired from active Pokemon training and became a Pokemon Professor like his grandfather. He had at least one of the special Chronicles episodes focusing on him, and he appeared in in the main series again a handful of times after that.

Wait, how does a 10 year old retire from a career and become a professor? Is Pokemon studies still an emerging field without much of an apparatus for professionalization or gatekeeping because wowie zowie.

Edit: then again, Gary stepping right into his grandfather's field is typical of the intellectual and literal nepotism that we might expect from academia. So who knows?

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 13, 2019

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

What versions are you guys getting? I'm thinking of getting Shield tonight (I can get it early yay) but the Farfetch'd evolution is in Sword which I really want

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

AlternateNu posted:

I know this probably isn’t intended, but I love the loose Burger King feet lettuce implication here.

Also, I’m kind of sad SwSh is apparent poo poo. I just got a Switch for my birthday with the expectation this would be the main reason.

Don't let psychotic reddit mancholdren dictate if you like the friend slavery game

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I'm planning to get Shield because I like the legendary better. I'm gonna wait a few weeks for reviews to come out though because I refuse to pre-order games.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Give me da bunny!

I've never actually used a fire starter before so I'm excited :3:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

a7m2 posted:

What versions are you guys getting? I'm thinking of getting Shield tonight (I can get it early yay) but the Farfetch'd evolution is in Sword which I really want

I was sold on Sword with Sirfetch’d

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

a7m2 posted:

Shield has Tyranitar, Cursola, and psychic/fairy Rapidash. The decision was easy for me.

Don't let psychotic reddit mancholdren dictate if you like the friend slavery game

Or anyone, for that matter. There's a monolithic amount of hate for the game and while people are entitled to opinions it doesn't stop you from being entitled to yours and enjoying it, warts and all.

If you wanna play pokemon, buy the game and join us. If you don't, then play other stuff! Breath of the Wild is a drat masterpiece and is essential gaming for any Switch owner tbh

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

alpha_destroy posted:

Wait, how does a 10 year old retire from a career and become a professor? Is Pokemon studies still an emerging field without much of an apparatus for professionalization or gatekeeping because wowie zowie.

Edit: then again, Gary stepping right into his grandfather's field is typical of the intellectual and literal nepotism that we might expect from academia. So who knows?

Presumably he wasn't ten at that point. The whole 'Eternal 10 Year Old' thing didn't get established until Best Wishes, so I would assume that he and Ash were around 13-14 at that point?

Still pretty lol but more understandable, especially if you hand-wave it with 'oh, but he's a prodigy, and he's going to study hard, etc'.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Gary Oak had 10 badges in an 8 badge league

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
Such amazing animations.

https://m.twitch.tv/clip/TameZanyMagpieSpicyBoy

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ROFL Octopus posted:

Gary Oak had 10 badges in an 8 badge league

The anime consistently shows that theres more than 8 badges in a region every time someone other than Ash opens a badge case.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Part of me is really hoping that they intentionally made this look so bad to pre-emptively spite leakers and will fix this in a day 1 patch or something

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Scorbunny, really gonna lean into that football theme the games have.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I've been completely out of the loop on this but when I noticed it was coming out soon I encountered the abstract idea of controversy without any details. Someone explain: is this game good or bad?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can I please get an image of the 3 starts and their evos please

Namaste

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is there a new eevee

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Clarste posted:

I've been completely out of the loop on this but when I noticed it was coming out soon I encountered the abstract idea of controversy without any details. Someone explain: is this game good or bad?

wooloo

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

is there a new eevee

No

Yes

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Clarste posted:

You're really going to struggle to get an objective answer anywhere because it's extremely polarizing. Some people are thinking it's the absolute worst most insulting thing ever, and others are very excited.

The game has flaws, some of which may be frustrating. If you can accept that, get the game and have fun! If not, you're probably better off giving the game a miss and either playing something more worth your money or join the dead horse beating riot.

I think it's gonna be ok. Not amazing, not mindblowing. But it'll be ok and I'll grab it.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

We should have never left 2D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Infinitum posted:

Can I please get an image of the 3 starts and their evos please

Namaste