Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Did anyone ever figure out why Chris Carter got fired from Fox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lockback posted:

Did anyone ever figure out why Chris Carter got fired from Fox?

Deadspin would’ve figured it out by now

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jack Patterson, a local reporter from Columbus, GA, was having a brutal time with his recorded stand-up recap of the Alabama/LSU game, then runs into Marty Smith from ESPN:

https://twitter.com/JPattersonTV/status/1194095819655393284

If you have worked any sort of news or sports segments like these, this is the realest fuckin' thing. Recorded stand-ups are the loving woooorrrrrrst.

https://twitter.com/rexcastillotv/status/1194104970246795265

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1194283793760296962?s=21

https://twitter.com/laurawags/status/1194279108575928321

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 12, 2019

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

Jack Patterson, a local reporter from Columbus, GA, was having a brutal time with his recorded stand-up recap of the Alabama/LSU game, then runs into Marty Smith from ESPN:

https://twitter.com/JPattersonTV/status/1194095819655393284

If you have worked any sort of news or sports segments like these, this is the realest fuckin' thing. Recorded stand-ups are the loving woooorrrrrrst.

https://twitter.com/rexcastillotv/status/1194104970246795265

He’s my new favorite for rocking the Kenny Omega shirt

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

That was quick

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

tucker carlson looks like an emoji of a smiling ice cream cone

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

sportsgenius86 posted:

He’s my new favorite for rocking the Kenny Omega shirt

Oh hell yes. That guy has good taste all around.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gigi Galli posted:

That was quick
It's incredible to think that what used to be Tucker Carlson's claim to fame was that he was known as a dorky-looking, bow-tie-wearing, policy wonk of a Conservative who spent his TV time on CNN and MSNBC because he was considered too liberal for Fox.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Crazy Ted posted:

It's incredible to think that what used to be Tucker Carlson's claim to fame was that he was known as a dorky-looking, bow-tie-wearing, policy wonk of a Conservative who spent his TV time on CNN and MSNBC because he was considered too liberal for Fox.

jon stewart bullied him and changed the course of his career

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/BenFischerSBJ/status/1194681606306295808

lmao oh boy

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

If the league tries to exert this pressure, start expecting more populated injury reports, leading to the same issue. It's not going to change unless the schedule changes.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The solution is shortening the schedule but they'll never do that.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The strike-shortened ‘11-12 season was really fun to watch. Games felt a lot more meaningful and dudes weren’t broken down by the end.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

58 game season where you play everyone twice. The games would all matter and you can space the schedule out better.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I also think we don’t need the first round of the NBA playoffs. Just cut it to 8 teams.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Niwrad posted:

The solution is shortening the schedule but they'll never do that.

didn't they say they were considering cutting games and adding an FA Cup-style midseason competition to make up for it?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I know that this is like a year over year comparison thing but it just cracks me up that these people panic over NBA ratings during a period where nobody gives a poo poo about the NBA.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"I'm a daughter of a father"

lmao jesus

https://twitter.com/HQonESPN/status/1194773722491707393?s=20

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 14, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Man people just write poo poo about ratings and hope no one bothers to look it up all the time. NBA ratings are very solid, seem to be up, not down and it's even stronger if you excuse all the Warrior games that don't have super high ratings for obvious reasons.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Kibner posted:

If the league tries to exert this pressure, start expecting more populated injury reports, leading to the same issue. It's not going to change unless the schedule changes.

We call that "The Patriot method", where nearly every player on the Patriots is listed as questionable on the injury report for a given week.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Man people just write poo poo about ratings and hope no one bothers to look it up all the time. NBA ratings are very solid, seem to be up, not down and it's even stronger if you excuse all the Warrior games that don't have super high ratings for obvious reasons.

They're down from a couple years ago but I think it's mostly just LeBron moving to a west coast team.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 14, 2019

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MourningView posted:

They're done from a couple years ago but I think it's mostly just LeBron moving to a west coast team.

Yea, I'd be surprised if the NBA wasn't down considering nearly every big star is on the west coast now, and two of the largest markets have terrible teams (Knicks and Bulls).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

They're done from a couple years ago but I think it's mostly just LeBron moving to a west coast team.

It's absolutely this, yeah. The early slot games are getting hammered.

This was almost exactly a year ago on Sports Business Journal:

quote:

NBA viewership is down 26% on TNT and 6% on ESPN one month into the season. Much of the sharp decline can be attributed to LeBron James’ move to the Western Conference, which has hit viewership for the early-window primetime NBA telecasts particularly hard so far. TNT is averaging 1.79 million viewers after 12 game telecasts, the net’s slowest start to a season in at least a decade.

…For TNT’s early windows this season to date, the net is averaging 1.61 million viewers compared to 2.75 million viewers at the same point last season (zero James games this year vs. two in ’17). But the late windows, which feature more prominent Western Conference teams, are seeing a less-pronounced drop, with two Lakers games to date. Meanwhile, ESPN is down 6% overall after 18 telecasts, averaging 1.69 million viewers compared to 1.79 million. But the net is up compared to the same time frame two years ago (1.61 million viewers for 14 games) … Similar to TNT, ESPN’s early window is seeing a drop (-16%), as there were three Cavaliers/James games at this point last year compared to zero Lakers/James games in the early window so far this season

Doesn't help that Toronto's in a non-Nielsen market, and Milwaukee's like the 35th largest market.

E: that's not to say the league's doomed by any means. Like someone said earlier, early season articles about ratings drops are a tradition, but nobody's paying that close of attention to early season basketball when the football goliath is still rolling.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 14, 2019

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Giving Golden State and New Orleans a combined 72 national TV games was probably not a good thing in hindsight.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lockback posted:

Giving Golden State and New Orleans a combined 72 national TV games was probably not a good thing in hindsight.

Wasn't hard to see why they gave New Orleans a bunch, didn't Zion only get hurt like right before the season started?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DJExile posted:

Wasn't hard to see why they gave New Orleans a bunch, didn't Zion only get hurt like right before the season started?

Yeah...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
It's also worth noting that TNT's streaming service is extremely bad, and their iOS app is abysmal. I wouldn't be surprised if they lose some viewers from the cord cutting contingent like me who either stream from a 3rd party site or skip the game entirely.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

There's been so much movement in the NBA lately that I feel like a lot of casual fans probably don't even remember who's on what team at this point.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DJExile posted:

Yeah, that's why its hindsight. NO was probably not a bad decision though I think they'd do well in general spreading that out a bit more.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, I'd be surprised if the NBA wasn't down considering nearly every big star is on the west coast now, and two of the largest markets have terrible teams (Knicks and Bulls).

the bulls are about two years and a new coach away from being Good and the knicks accidentally stumbled their way into what looks like a pretty good draft choice but by the time those things pay dividends lebron will have retired (presumably) and the ratings news cycle will churn again

DJExile posted:

the warriors also still had steph who is a very popular player and generally exciting to watch

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So you don't NEED another reason to believe Kevin Harlan owns, but have these wonderful bombs he dropped on the knicks during an interview with Awful Announcing:

quote:

And while there will be plenty of emotion inside the arena for Porzingis and interest in how the Fizdale situation turns out, Harlan said that the national audience doesn’t really care that much.

“The Knicks nationally have been so irrelevant that I don’t really even think they draw a ripple,” he said. “Maybe a snicker because people are just amused at the constant chaos that seems to surround the team in trying to get themselves in gear. But nationally, it probably doesn’t go much beyond that. When they had Carmelo Anthony, they were a story. Porzingis, when they had him, he’s a story.”

And while Harlan acknowledges that New York brought in free agents Marcus Morris and Julius Randle and drafted Duke’s R.J. Barrett third overall, the casual fan tuning in may not know much about the Knicks.

“Right now, you’d be hard-pressed for NBA fans to name who is on the team,” he said.

quote:

Casual fans, Harlan said, are focused on bigger NBA storylines early in the season like LeBron James and Anthony Davis in Los Angeles, James Harden and Russell Westbrook in Houston and Doncic in Dallas.

“You’ve gotta be sensitive to what your national audience wants to see, what will appeal to them,” he said. “It’s the same old, same old New York, same issues, same turbulence, same things that continually just regenerate.”

Fans will tune in to see how Porzingis is received by the New York crowd and how he’ll perform under the spotlight, but Harlan said the focus should and will be on Doncic, who’s averaging nearly a triple-double per game early on in the season at age 20.

“Really what I think the country will care about tonight on our broadcast is going to be Doncic,” Harlan said, “because he’s not on our air all that much, he’s not on national TV all that much, but he is a huge story.”

What won’t be the main thrust of the TNT game presentation Thursday night, according to Harlan, is the latest drama surrounding the New York Knicks.

“To be quite honest, it’s the same old story,” Harlan said. “And nationally, people just don’t care about it.”

DJExile fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 14, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1195095492184739842

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I feel like for most casual fans the NBA season doesn't really start until Christmas, so the concern-trolling over November ratings always seemed weird to me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

They're down from a couple years ago but I think it's mostly just LeBron moving to a west coast team.

That lead to a bad year last year, but there has been a nice uptick which had been lead by them finally having a Clipper team that is drawing interest and a Lakers team that is winning. But they definitely need a good team as a draw for the early game for sure.

But those early games are still generally beating their competition though so they don’t have to worry that much.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the only thing the NBA isn't beating is football but that's not new, and nothing else is coming close to them.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Rick posted:

That lead to a bad year last year, but there has been a nice uptick which had been lead by them finally having a Clipper team that is drawing interest and a Lakers team that is winning. But they definitely need a good team as a draw for the early game for sure.

But those early games are still generally beating their competition though so they don’t have to worry that much.

it’s also worth mentioning that the celtics are Good again so they’ll probably bring an influx of fans in and the raptors are holding steady even without kawhi but neither of those teams has a certified star on them to draw in people who otherwise wouldn’t be watching; durant coming back would also help shore up those early tv schedylea

i would think giannis would be on tv as often as the nba could get away with but hey what can you do

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

The play in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsAQDkisqWI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Ratings fluctuate sometimes, same thing happens with the NFL.

I wouldn't read too much into lower ratings in the first month of of an 82 game season.