Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Yes, I post in there as well. Camping is the only side of this event that I have virtually no experience in.

What would you recommend for hot meals that fit in a 1 gallon ziplock?

You could fit a week's worth of that beans and rice recipe that was linked above in a gallon bag (minus water).

A brick of ramen, half cup of dried veggies and a foil packet of tuna is another popular recipe.

Or just buy some premade cook in a bag meals that any outfitting store will sell (though there's better brands available online). All they need is heat and water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The more I think about this the more I feel the need to ask why do you insist on 2-3 hot meals a day? The average weather in April is high of 72 low of 50, you'll be eating lunch in the field presumably. You should have a peanut butter and honey sandwich so you don't have to worry about fiddling with pots and pans and stoves as you get gassed and shot at.

Overnight oats are the best breakfast because you can make infinite variations and it takes 10 seconds of prep the night before
https://www.msrgear.com/blog/backcountry-breakfastsovernight-oats/

If you must have something hot make a cup of tea or coffee

Dinner of course go hog wild since you'll have a few hours. That beans and rice recipe looks like fantastic. I've also done the mac and cheese where it's just pasta and the sauce packet.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Tigren posted:

I'm guessing you don't share a tent with anyone...

You kidding? It’s dinner AND a show!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

The more I think about this the more I feel the need to ask why do you insist on 2-3 hot meals a day? The average weather in April is high of 72 low of 50, you'll be eating lunch in the field presumably. You should have a peanut butter and honey sandwich so you don't have to worry about fiddling with pots and pans and stoves as you get gassed and shot at.

Overnight oats are the best breakfast because you can make infinite variations and it takes 10 seconds of prep the night before
https://www.msrgear.com/blog/backcountry-breakfastsovernight-oats/

If you must have something hot make a cup of tea or coffee

Dinner of course go hog wild since you'll have a few hours. That beans and rice recipe looks like fantastic. I've also done the mac and cheese where it's just pasta and the sauce packet.

The actual experience in the game is variable depending on your desires and others. There’s no objectives so some people spend most of their time in camp or loving around instead of getting into combat. I have as much time as I want (possible attacks notwithstanding) to relax and cook.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

chitoryu12 posted:

The actual experience in the game is variable depending on your desires and others. There’s no objectives so some people spend most of their time in camp or loving around instead of getting into combat. I have as much time as I want (possible attacks notwithstanding) to relax and cook.

These are my favorite dehydrated meals:

https://www.packitgourmet.com/

Mountain House pro packs are also good for the serving size. I definitely second PB&J, trail mix, pepperoni and cheese bagels, oatmeal cups, clif bars, that kinda stuff first though. Pan friend spam sandwiches on Hawaiian rolls are also delicious, or if you wanna cook (and deal with dishes), you could whip up a pouch of chicken and instant mashed potatoes with a side of cranberry. Add some stovetop stuffing and rolls and you’ve got a three person thanksgiving meal. Tasty bites madras lentils plus chicken, corn and Hawaiian rolls is also fantastic for cheap and easy warm up shelf stable chili.

Also, if your tent is possibly gonna get shot up, I’d just get something like a 20$ tent off aliexpress:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32994...eQ1571881879435

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Packit Gourmet is amazing.

Their ramen rescue and their kickin' chicken wraps are meals I could eat at any time, not just on the trail. The corn chowder and the bean and cheese burritos are good options too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OSU_Matthew posted:

These are my favorite dehydrated meals:

https://www.packitgourmet.com/

Mountain House pro packs are also good for the serving size. I definitely second PB&J, trail mix, pepperoni and cheese bagels, oatmeal cups, clif bars, that kinda stuff first though. Pan friend spam sandwiches on Hawaiian rolls are also delicious, or if you wanna cook (and deal with dishes), you could whip up a pouch of chicken and instant mashed potatoes with a side of cranberry. Add some stovetop stuffing and rolls and you’ve got a three person thanksgiving meal. Tasty bites madras lentils plus chicken, corn and Hawaiian rolls is also fantastic for cheap and easy warm up shelf stable chili.

Also, if your tent is possibly gonna get shot up, I’d just get something like a 20$ tent off aliexpress:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32994...eQ1571881879435

Are those tents relatively durable and easy to set up as an individual? I wouldn’t want to cheap out on a tent to end up with something that’s constructed weird or ready to fall apart at a moment’s notice.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I have to reluctantly get on the Packit bandwagon, at least the few I've tried have been delicious. It seems like their dehydration process preserves the vegetables' structure a bit better and they include plenty of protein. That said I think some of the meals that *also* require tortillas or something else are a bit overpriced, and have not tried them - tuna packets are just so much easier and cheaper.

e: you can definitely set up a tent like that single-handed (it probably requires a trekking pole or equivalent piece of stick), they're not tricky. a $20 aliexpress tent is going to be made of tissue and spit though

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chard posted:

That said I think some of the meals that *also* require tortillas or something else are a bit overpriced, and have not tried them - tuna packets are just so much easier and cheaper.

They do and I was pretty annoyed by it at first but the wife bought some so we had to eat em!

Trip report: totally worth it. Stash some tortillas in an opsak and get an awesome meal. Tortilla chips work great too but are obviously gonna get ground into powder in a backpack.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chard posted:

e: you can definitely set up a tent like that single-handed (it probably requires a trekking pole or equivalent piece of stick), they're not tricky. a $20 aliexpress tent is going to be made of tissue and spit though

Yeah, that was my concern. I wouldn't want a tent that crumbles if it starts raining or gets torn up just trying to pack it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You also wouldn't want any halfway decent tent to get shot full of holes the first time you use it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I would look at one of the Walmart Ozark Trails tents if you want something cheap that might get beat. They have some in the $30 range that ape some of the big name designs but just use cheaper materials, more seams, smaller rainfly, etc...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-2-Person-4-Season-Tent-with-2-Vestibules-and-full-fly/884400665
$30 gets you a two person, two vestibule tent that copies the MSR designs

If you want a lighter tent, look into this one
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-1-Person-Hiker-Tent-with-large-Door-for-Easy-Entry/49382131

A little smaller but only around 4lbs so if you have to carry this stuff it's pretty nice. This was my first backpacking tent and I used it on a few trips, had no issues with it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

poo poo- the Walmart tent game has been stepped up since I bought a lovely bootleg Coleman from them in 2014.

I’m real tempted to go buy both of those to have as backups or loaners and toss my current lovely Walmart tent that smells like barf (because I threw up in it) (a lot) (on two separate backpacking trips)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah, that one-man tent I still have around. I keep it in my car for emergencies and and pull it out when the kids use my 2-man tent for backyard camping stuff.

It drops down to $18 on sale pretty regularly too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

withak posted:

You also wouldn't want any halfway decent tent to get shot full of holes the first time you use it.

Depends on how strong the tent is. Rules for the game set most weapons at 1.50 joules of energy at the muzzle and sniper rifles at 1.86 to 2.32 joules at the muzzle. I'm not sure how strong cheap tents are, but I don't think it would take very much for a halfway decent tent to resist BBs hitting it.

Depending on space and weight available, I might go for that Ozark 2-man tent for the extra space. I'm 6'2 with a 46-inch chest so I take up some room.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, that one-man tent I still have around. I keep it in my car for emergencies and and pull it out when the kids use my 2-man tent for backyard camping stuff.

It drops down to $18 on sale pretty regularly too.

That price is insane for anything above total-piece-of-poo poo.

I may get one just to loan out to friends that want to try camping without buying.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

On the same note (just bought my ticket so I'm locked into this now), are there any benefits to using a hammock and tarp rather than a tent? The camping experience will likely be a community of a dozen or so people in the same wooded area. I've seen people do hammocks before in pictures of past events.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hammocks are typically smaller and lighter to pack, don’t have poles, and they get you off the ground. I feel less vulnerable in a small hammock than being on the ground and my hammock setup is so much smaller I was able to downsize the pack I bring (or more realistically, I can bring more crap now.)

Things to consider when hammocking are warmth (a sleeping bag will compress under you and give you Cold Butt), comfort if you’re not a back or side sleeper, and having an actual place to hang it. Underquilts are an easy fix. Also this varies wildly with gear but my hammock setup was more expensive than my 2p tent setup by a couple hundred. So just like with a tent you need warm insulating layers, a way to keep bugs out and a rain thingy.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, this is the mess kit I've got and was thinking about using for cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w25xjdRH9uo

I've cooked with it once on a regular stove burner so I know it's in safe condition to use and it can withstand heat. Since I probably won't need to carry any of my gear more than about a mile from the car judging from the field size, I can probably afford to include this and a small stove.

I was thinking a white gas stove so I wouldn't need to worry about the bulk and disposal of JetBoil cans. I generally know the basics of working a Primus-type.

I use that exact mess kit a lot with my cheap rear end Coleman stove or just parked in a fire pit and it works great. I absolutely love that thing.

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.
Does anyone have recommendations for walkie talkies? Target group is about 10 people including kids spread around a few campsites. It would be for checking in on other groups to plan meals and lunches and coordinating kid activities. Range would be <5 miles (US). Being usable by kids is a plus, being able to be used later for skiing communication is a plus.

I used to have an old set of Motorola hourglass looking guys but I lost them in a fire and it looks like there are multiple tiers of Motorola radio now. I don't even know if Motorola is still any good.

Price ~$50/pair unless strong reason to move up in range.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I found a good video showing people walking into the camping area and setting up at a previous event to the one I'm attending. It's about a 1 mile hike, but you can see how eclectic everyone's gear is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoPdq35p9Ls

TurdBurgles posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for walkie talkies? Target group is about 10 people including kids spread around a few campsites. It would be for checking in on other groups to plan meals and lunches and coordinating kid activities. Range would be <5 miles (US). Being usable by kids is a plus, being able to be used later for skiing communication is a plus.

I used to have an old set of Motorola hourglass looking guys but I lost them in a fire and it looks like there are multiple tiers of Motorola radio now. I don't even know if Motorola is still any good.

Price ~$50/pair unless strong reason to move up in range.

The go-to cheap radio is probably the Baofeng. People have gotten as far as 10 miles range with them, so they'll likely be just fine for your purposes. Ignore any handwringing about them being "illegal", as that doesn't apply if you're using them on amateur frequencies and the chance of you actually getting in legal trouble even if you slip up is absurdly low.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The difference between those who have backpacked/hunted and those who have not is really obvious. The guys walking in with a well packed backpack and both hands free (or on their gun) vs the guys looking like a gypsy wagon with pots, pans, stuffed animals and weird fornite emote items dangling off while they carry things like tents and gun cases into the field by hand. I especially like the guy carrying a trash bag. Assuming he just ripped his bedding off his bed at home and stuffed it in there.

Baofeng radios were the standard when I was still playing regularly. Their cost/power/performance ratio is really high. In general they work a bit better than most cheap 2 way radios.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The trashbag wasn't nearly as funny as heading off to war with a jansport backpack.

"Thanks for letting me borrow your backpack kids, don't worry it'll be clean and ready for school by Monday."

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I’m the person hiking with a Coleman cooler and a box on top of it at 4:25

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

whatever gets people out of doors, man

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

xzzy posted:

The trashbag wasn't nearly as funny as heading off to war with a jansport backpack.

"Thanks for letting me borrow your backpack kids, don't worry it'll be clean and ready for school by Monday."

The guy in the brown shirt at the front? I think he's an NPC so his site is already set up before the rest of the players get there.

Keep in mind that you need to carry everything onto the field in one go. That dude with the school backpack and garbage bag? He's got everything he's using for 40 hours in the woods packed in there, including any mandatory gear like food, water, flashlights, etc. What are the chances he's actually got a tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad in any of that?

I also wonder how many of them actually tested their poo poo before the game. Some of those tents may have never left their packaging before getting to the field.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

TBF it was just a mile I’d be carrying a cooler full of beer too.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

The go-to cheap radio is probably the Baofeng. People have gotten as far as 10 miles range with them, so they'll likely be just fine for your purposes. Ignore any handwringing about them being "illegal", as that doesn't apply if you're using them on amateur frequencies and the chance of you actually getting in legal trouble even if you slip up is absurdly low.

Allow me to be a big hand-wringing baby: Operating on amateur frequencies without a license is illegal. No, the FCC will not do anything about it, but you're definitely being That Guy if you start blatting out airsoft military cosplay chatter on top of the local repeater output.

If your radio has a frequency display, stay off 144.0-148.0MHz and 420.0-450.0MHz unless you're licensed. If you've got a small crew of people you hike with frequently, you might consider getting them all licensed since you do get better flexibility on ham radio & the test is very easy.

FRS does not require a license and you can get FRS-only radios in big packs for like $12 a unit. As I understand it, Baofengs can also transmit on FRS frequencies, but they're more expensive and take more work to teach users vs. saying "ok guys we're on channel 11".

Edit: also if you post up in the woods outside town all weekend using Baofengs on the amateur frequencies, you may get a visit from grumpy old men with direction-finding antennas on their mobility scooters.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 6, 2019

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Absolutely do not use baofengs on amateur channels without a license and an understanding of what is and is not illegal. Baofengs also have notoriously sloppy broadcasting so even if you’re not transmitting on an amateur frequency you’re still generating a bunch of signal noise that can overlap into other people’s freqs. You’re not super likely to get caught by the FCC but it’s fun, easy, and completely legal for randos to monitor and track down anybody crapping up the spectrum.

What you want is an FRS radio like those Motorolas. There are other brands that are probably a better value but Motorola’s been in the game for a long time and makes good stuff. 5 miles will probably be a stretch for any sort of handheld radio though, especially if you’re in a wooded area. You could look into maybe getting handheld CB radios, those also don’t require extra licensing but they’ll generally cost more and you’re restricted to the CB channels so any passing trucker can join in your conversation.

Whatever you end up going with be careful about what details you pass over the radios.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Pham Nuwen posted:

Edit: also if you post up in the woods outside town all weekend using Baofengs on the amateur frequencies, you may get a visit from grumpy old men with direction-finding antennas on their mobility scooters.

Also, if you just use the stock frequencies on some of the Baofengs, you could be overlapping with itinerant / business / color dot frequencies which will have not old grumpy hams chasing you down but actual businesses who have actual licenses to use those frequencies for work, and they will gently caress your day up if you start interfering with their business operations.

Just use FRS bubble pack radios if your need is for FRS bubble pack radios - you get very little by upgrading to chinese illegal radios for this use case.

If you want more power, pay the $70 for a GMRS license and go hog wild with tiered up gear that has far better range and power, but still is on frequencies dedicated for this exact specific use case, and not overlapping with people who will get annoyed.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Internet Wizard posted:

You could look into maybe getting handheld CB radios, those also don’t require extra licensing but they’ll generally cost more and you’re restricted to the CB channels so any passing trucker can join in your conversation.

Since CB is a way lower frequency you're probably going to get pretty crap performance out of a handheld's antenna but on the other hand you will be the loving King of Postapocalyptic Cosplay if you roll up with one of these bad boys: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handheld-GE-CB-Citizen-Band-Tranceiver-Model-3-5975A-3-Channel-date-code-3651/163879467848

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
(Don't do CB though unless you really wanna pack infra for it.)

It's not going to buy you any better range (Don't let the 4 watts trick you) - and you need serious large antennas for the frequencies around 27 Mhz, where standard UHF radios like FRS, GMRS are in the 400 Mhz range. The higher the frequency, the smaller the antenna needed to resonate.

Needless to say, it is also not compatible with any other radios that anyone might be using EXCEPT for CBs, so outfitting everyone with CB is going to be huge/clunky for the radios, gigantically huge for the antennas, and for no real benefit while out and about vs. any bubblepack FRS radio in the first place.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of ham radio stuff, I got my license awhile back but never could get anything out of the cheap handheld I bought at the time.

Now I’ve got a house with the ability to permanently install a big fuckoff antennae, does anyone have any recommendations for either diy antennaes or transceivers for a stupid newbie?

I’m thinking I’m probably just about at the point where need to testify and recertify anyways.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

Speaking of ham radio stuff, I got my license awhile back but never could get anything out of the cheap handheld I bought at the time.

Now I’ve got a house with the ability to permanently install a big fuckoff antennae, does anyone have any recommendations for either diy antennaes or transceivers for a stupid newbie?

I’m thinking I’m probably just about at the point where need to testify and recertify anyways.

Head on over to the ham radio thread, I've picked up lots of good info there. Make sure to tell us what bands you want to operate and your house / lot / tree situation.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Pham Nuwen posted:

Head on over to the ham radio thread, I've picked up lots of good info there. Make sure to tell us what bands you want to operate and your house / lot / tree situation.

Oh perfect, much appreciated!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Does anyone know of a lightweight, wind/waterproof, and slightly insulated glove that doesn't suck? It seems like every review I read has at least a few people reporting leaks or soak-through, to the point I think what I'm trying to find might not exist. Bought some Seirus Hyperlite All-Weather gloves but they didn't pass the sink test at all so I am taking those back. I think the closest to what I want might be the Outdoor Research Versaliner, but REI doesn't seem to carry them anymore and I want to try them before buying.

The other option I'm considering is just sticking with my lovely fleece gloves and getting a wind/water mitt to go over them, but I'd like to be dexterous enough to set up camp in inclement weather without giving up hand protection.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Chard posted:

Does anyone know of a lightweight, wind/waterproof, and slightly insulated glove that doesn't suck? It seems like every review I read has at least a few people reporting leaks or soak-through, to the point I think what I'm trying to find might not exist. Bought some Seirus Hyperlite All-Weather gloves but they didn't pass the sink test at all so I am taking those back. I think the closest to what I want might be the Outdoor Research Versaliner, but REI doesn't seem to carry them anymore and I want to try them before buying.

The other option I'm considering is just sticking with my lovely fleece gloves and getting a wind/water mitt to go over them, but I'd like to be dexterous enough to set up camp in inclement weather without giving up hand protection.

If you don’t mind looking slightly dorky Showa 282 should fit the bill. https://www.outsideonline.com/2270896/review-showa-281-and-282-gloves#close

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Honestly some leather patrol gloves or work gloves with a liner might be your best bet

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
I used Hatch Winter Specialist gloves for my time in the army. They were the only gloves that could keep my hands warm. Completely waterproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Chard posted:

No, not really. WPB membranes tend to fail pretty quickly on gloves. Gloves made from truly waterproof (but not WPB) materials will sort of work, but your hands will sweat a lot unless its very cold. And if it's very cold, waterproofness is usually not that important. In either case, once water gets into your gloves, which it will if its really wet out, your waterproof or WPB gloves are going to stay wet for ages. An adequately insulated and windproof glove will still be perfectly comfortable when damp, though, so that's what you're shooting for.

Anyway neither of the gloves you mentioned are for very cold weather, in which case I'd say your best bet is just to use any old softshell glove and who cares if your hands get damp? If you really want something more substantial, OR Extraverts are decent, reasonably durable, medium-weight weather resistant gloves that aren't crazy expensive (though they sure aren't cheap). Heastra Czone Kobalt winter work gloves are a bit warmer, bigger, and more durable, but still have OK dexterity and have great value (you can get a pair for under $20. For a mostly-camp glove, Montane Prisms are very dexterous for their warmth, and have a light but relatively weatherproof pertex shell that is a lot less bulky than e.g. leather or goatskin, but these gloves are not cheap (~$40-60) and will not hold up to heavy use. Super Prisms are a little more durable but not really.

The option you mentioned of just putting a rain mitt over your fleece glove is not a bad option for camp. A simple rain mitt will be made of a pretty thin material so in terms of dexterity it's not very different than just having a plastic bag over your hands. Honestly light fleece gloves + rain mitt is more dexterous than a lot of heavier gloves. Only problem is rain mitts aren't very durable, but if you're just walking around with them or doing camp chores it should be fine.