Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Hargrimm posted:

Why would you pre create a merge request at the beginning of feature development before you are ready to request the code be merged?

It's a good way to get incremental feedback from people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Walh Hara posted:

This is all interesting to me. Next year I'll partly take over a project of 3500 man days (core team 12 people). Currently, they're using bitbucket and jenkins for git/CI and excel for Sprint planning, organisation and backlog stuff. Obviously, I don't want to use excel, but am unsure what the best alternative is.

The company promotes Jira a lot, but I've never used it. In previous projects, I simply used a task list in confluence, which worked quite well so far, but I've never done a project anywhere as big as this new one. We could use trello (or some other website) if we use the free version and make sure we don't put anything confidential on it.

Any advice?

You might as well stay in the Atlassian ecosystem if there's already an investment and you're not looking to change any of the other parts of the stack.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Actually, the weird thing about the Atlassian ecosystem is that Atlassian products don't generally interoperate with each other especially well. Pretty much all of their products are independent acquisitions that were rebranded and then minimally integrated.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Yeah, we have some rather fragile webhook things to do stuff like change ticket state when PR states change. They've been broken for a while now because we renamed a ticket state :wtc:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah, we have some rather fragile webhook things to do stuff like change ticket state when PR states change. They've been broken for a while now because we renamed a ticket state :wtc:

I have no idea if that would solve your problems, but Jira has support for "Smart Commits", which let you transition issues via magic strings directly in commit messages: https://confluence.atlassian.com/fisheye/using-smart-commits-960155400.html

It's...alright, I suppose?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
A bone stock jira is pretty alright.

People go crazy with customizations and make it terrible. If it's on-prem they under resource the infrastructure and everything crawls.

The problem is almost never the tool and the tool will almost never solve the problem.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Inacio posted:

Well, the worst possible thing that could happen has happened: I've lost access to my GitHub account.
Went on vacation for two weeks, came back to find out that my 2FA authentication codes no longer worked and neither do my recovery codes.

Is your clock up to date on your machine? I once had 2FA codes stop working because the laptop I got them from had gotten a full minute off. The site was fairly strict with their timings, so the codes were too early or too late to work (I forget which). Once I fixed time syncing they were good again.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Munkeymon posted:

Brave of them to be so open about their mental illness
I’m not so sure if company anti-discrimination policies would protect JIRA sympathizers as a protected class. Granted, discrimination based upon hair style is now illegal in a number of places so we may get there soon enough.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Progressive JPEG posted:

Is your clock up to date on your machine? I once had 2FA codes stop working because the laptop I got them from had gotten a full minute off. The site was fairly strict with their timings, so the codes were too early or too late to work (I forget which). Once I fixed time syncing they were good again.

I did go around the world during my vacation, but I tried syncing my time (an option on Google Authenticator) but no luck.
GitHub support has replied and I could use my SSH key as proof it's really me, just waiting on them now.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Walh Hara posted:

jenkins for git/CI and excel for Sprint planning, organisation and backlog stuff.

While fixing things I’d recommend getting off Jenkins while you’re at it. Doesn’t have to be all at once but at least set up an alternative system and start moving the early adopters over. People may already have a preference for what they’d like.

Everywhere I’ve seen or heard of Jenkins being used, it’s involved lots of time spent just fixing Jenkins when it regularly shits itself. At the current place we’re still on it and this is the case here too. We’re very diligent about using Jenkinsfiles for everything, rather then inputting everything by hand into a UI as is standard with Jenkins, so we aren’t at risk of losing a bunch of hand edited UI build configuration when it does fall over. But it’s seriously in net time sink territory at this point with how much poking and babysitting it requires.

Fun Jenkins facts:
- It was originally built to be a tool that you’d run locally on your machine to define useful jobs, like a worse and more complicated cron. All the networking and “machine” support was hacked in later as an afterthought.
- The Jenkins method for telling a machine to do something is to create a Java object that when executed will run the command. This object is then serialized and sent to the target machine, which then deserializes the object and executes it. I call this “RPC by RCE” and it’s why the JVM version between the master and all machines must be identical.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i liked the jenkins bug in an old version that sometimes checked out files from svn and somehow duplicated the content of those files, leading to all kinds of entertaining and baffling build failures

this bug was of course fixed in 2013. we were still running into it in 2018

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Xguard86 posted:

A bone stock jira is pretty alright.

People go crazy with customizations and make it terrible. If it's on-prem they under resource the infrastructure and everything crawls.

The problem is almost never the tool and the tool will almost never solve the problem.

Every time we updated TFS at my old job it was a worry mostly because of our obnoxiously customized workflow not migrating correctly. So, I'm inclined to agree with this post.

We did finally move away from on-prem source control to Azure DevOps, though, so that was nice.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

e: wrong thread

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

Brave of them to be so open about their mental illness

JIRA is super attractive to bureaucrats who mistake busywork with productivity. At my current job this exists in the form of a QA department who refuse to learn any skills more technical than manually clicking our application and checking off a list. But look at all the JIRAs they're working on!!!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
JIRA is an ideal way to practice SCRUM in an AGILE environment

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Thanks! To be honest, I'm still unsure whether to use Jira. Is there any resource about it that I can trust (i.e. is not just marketing material)? Something about when it's actually worth using it. On the one hand I'm worried my current way of working won't scale to a project much bigger than any I've worked on so far, on the other hand I don't know what the benefit could be for me and don't trust the marketing material (nor my colleagues who promote it).

Regarding Jenkins: yes I know, but sadly not something I can change. We have a whole separate team dedicated to supporting atlassian products in our company.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
^^^ eh. Jira works as well as any “enterprise agile software” when it starts to scale. I’ve never used one that was great.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
A lot of tools like Jira et al are used in areas where the current agile processes are already failing or a company that is decidedly not agile wants to pretend to be agile. So long as it is used correctly it's mostly fine, it's just that the marketing gobbeldygook often hooks the same idiot managers who have mucked up the process in the first place.

It's better than nothing, but that could be likened to saying that using a belt sander to file your nails is better than nothing.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Jira is the Jenkins of Agile management software. Everyone uses it because it's what they've always used and when trying to use anything else so much bikeshedding happens in most companies they wind up back in the same spot once again.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Jira’s mature and enterprisey enough that its warts induce eyerolling instead of incredulity or rage. It’s Generally Fine.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

rt4 posted:

JIRA is an ideal way to practice SCRUM in an AGILE environment

i'll have you know that jira also supports kanban and scrumban

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

raminasi posted:

Jira’s mature and enterprisey enough that its warts induce eyerolling instead of incredulity or rage. It’s Generally Fine.

At a previous large enterprise job, the BAs had filled the Jira board with so many queries stacked on queries that it crawled and suffered loading anything at all.

Eventually this was discovered and fixed but it had to have been months of terrible performance just to view your equally terrible tasks.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

rjmccall posted:

Actually, the weird thing about the Atlassian ecosystem is that Atlassian products don't generally interoperate with each other especially well. Pretty much all of their products are independent acquisitions that were rebranded and then minimally integrated.

:capitalism:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

qsvui posted:

i'll have you know that jira also supports kanban and scrumban

Of course, KANBAN is also supported

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

rjmccall posted:

It's a good way to get incremental feedback from people.

I wish this actually worked. I've tried so many times to tell people to review my work in progress stuff only to get ignored every time. Of course actually getting people to review your code at all is a struggle.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

netcat posted:

I wish this actually worked. I've tried so many times to tell people to review my work in progress stuff only to get ignored every time. Of course actually getting people to review your code at all is a struggle.

We dedicate a portion of our morning standup to dole out pending merge requests waiting for review/approval. It's not perfect and it can still sometimes take 24 hours to get someone to look at something, but it improved drastically from what it was before.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

netcat posted:

This was one of the many banes of my existence at my old job - I would put up a WIP and invite everyone to comment on it and review progress so it wasn’t a huge chore to review all at once at the end, but nope. And then after you finished and submitted your poo poo on time and everyone else failed to review it before the end of the sprint, the failure was still on you.

At my new job, we’re pretty good at reviewing in a timely fashion - tasks are divided into much smaller chunks and are easy and fast to review.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

We dedicate a portion of our morning standup to dole out pending merge requests waiting for review/approval. It's not perfect and it can still sometimes take 24 hours to get someone to look at something, but it improved drastically from what it was before.

there's this really good slack thing that pesters people until they review PRs. it's great and has really changed how PRs are done in our org.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If no one reviews it then it doesn’t go in by the end of the sprint and it is not my fault. I am not my coworkers’ keeper, do your drat job.

I’m one of the only people that reviews PRs on my team.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
How does that work? Do you mean others on your team just rubber stamp LGTM on the PR and send it through?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Not literally, just that work can stall for a good 4-5 days to be approved and deployed if nobody gets around to reviewing it without being explicitly asked to do so.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I’d always hesitate reading this one developers PRs because they were always changes to dozens of files and had thousands of SLOC changes.

But I learned I often had to because they’d leave debug poo poo or just hundreds of lines of commented code in the change.

Not sure if they’re still employed but I called it out as tactfully as I could when I left that job.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This happens even for one-liners.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I think I'm going to just allow 'push direct to master' for a while, so that people maybe stop feeling like they can do poo poo work and let someone else worry about the quality.
Because as it stands right now, its either aggressive rubberstamping: +3000/-30 PR? Approved 10 minutes after creation!
Or its the worst kind of limp PR: checking out the branch. Building it. And then just requesting changes for anything ReSharper comments on that hasn't already been done.

Along with it still being an 11th hour process. What's that? Code freeze on Monday afternoon for the next release? *three PR's pop up right before lunch, with comment in teamchat "CODE REVIEW PLZ, URGENT, THIS IS FOR NEXT RELEASE"

So that anything meaty that *does* get requested turns into //TODO: comments for the next generation to handle.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I implemented two things that you should probably do:

No code pushes 48 hours before release
All merge requests must only do one thing only.

Those two things really cleaned up merge requests.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

My goto PR comments:
"Please do not check in commented out code." on the files and then request changes with "Please clean up files before submitting a PR. I will look at the functionality after it is cleaned up."
Another one would indeed be: "This change is out of scope for the PR and the story you reference, please create a separate PR for this." And simply return it marked "request changes".
Third: "You change the functionality of the public API of the class/system, but not change any tests. This means that either the tests were not properly covering the code to begin with or you add functionality without adding any tests. In either case, please add tests on the unit/system/integration level to cover your functionality."

Short term people complained a lot, after a few months the PRs were clean and single topic and thus understandable. Code quality improved a ton as well. I work as a contractor and these three get used in every new project I join.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

netcat posted:

Of course actually getting people to review your code at all is a struggle.
ouch

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
In my experience what happens is a mix of two things,

One is its possible for a couple people to kinda duck having to do PRs, focusing on their own work, and the rest of the team just ends up picking up the slack.

The other is a sort of bystander effect where everybody is busy and everybody thinks "well, I've gotta get this done, somebody else will surely take care of this pr!" and as a result nobody does, and you reach pr gridlock.

We've implemented a standard template for PRs where you have to fill out certain steps as part of the git request message, it saves a lot of headaches and reminds the person who wrote it to check the original ticket and makes sure everything's cleaned up.

ratbert90 posted:

No code pushes 48 hours before release

Embrace CICD :unsmigghh:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
We assign our PRs to people who either made the ticket (if it's made by an engineer), someone with direct knowledge of the features in question, or just the engineers who have been around forever.

Most people who do these reviews are extremely sketchy on when they'll get them done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Keetron posted:

My goto PR comments:
"Please do not check in commented out code." on the files and then request changes with "Please clean up files before submitting a PR. I will look at the functionality after it is cleaned up."
Another one would indeed be: "This change is out of scope for the PR and the story you reference, please create a separate PR for this." And simply return it marked "request changes".
Third: "You change the functionality of the public API of the class/system, but not change any tests. This means that either the tests were not properly covering the code to begin with or you add functionality without adding any tests. In either case, please add tests on the unit/system/integration level to cover your functionality."

Short term people complained a lot, after a few months the PRs were clean and single topic and thus understandable. Code quality improved a ton as well. I work as a contractor and these three get used in every new project I join.

That is a very nice ruleset and I'll steal that when next I have problematic PRs.