Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And it's the truth, the Kurds are national minorities in Syria, Turkey, Iraq and Iran, not a nation.
Do you even understand what you're saying? National borders are a man made construct and the Kurds are the majority in Kurdish areas of those nations you mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Deketh posted:

Is there much/any freelance work for coders? Do you get many people working remotely? What's the office culture like? Sorry if these are dumb questions, just trying to get a sense of the field compared to my current.

Freelance work: there can be if you're good at marketing yourself. Everyone needs a website and most people don't need one that's much more complicated than a shiny brochure. Things like SEO and social media marketing also play well in this sort of work, if you can position yourself as someone who can do branding and website design/creation. There's also space for more complicated 'web app' style website development for clients, or developing tools for integrating some of their disparate systems in some way - importing Shopify orders into some accounting software or similar. If you get the right clients and market yourself well you can easily charge silly money for incredibly basic work because you can price based on "value provided to client" rather than "value of time spent" - like multiple thousands for what amounts to a pretty HTML/CSS template you bought for £30 and edited slightly.

Sort of related to freelance work: contract work is big in the industry. Often there are a few contractors embedded at a company for a temporary boost in resources while a big project happens. You'll see these advertised as 3 or 6 months "with the possibility of extension" but every software project overruns and every contractor I've ever met says that they almost always get at least one contract extension from each company they go to. This can pay £300 per day at the lower end, maybe £600 a day at the higher end (of course depending on where you live and work). Bigger money for the same work but you're self-employed so no pension, you have to pay an accountant or sort out your own self-assessment tax. There's also the potential for gaps which can presumably make life more stressful.

Remote work: It's not like "every other company" or anything, but it exists and I feel like it's becoming more common. Some companies have started bribing people with 2-3 days per week remote, some are full time remote (after onboarding in the office for a couple of weeks). Even lots of jobs that don't really provide 'remote work' still allow working from home on an ad-hoc basis if you need to be in for a boiler service or your car doesn't start or something. If you can get a remote job with a London salary outside of London you're probably set.

Office culture varies wildly. One of my previous jobs was very chill despite being an Experian subsidiary - turn up at whatever time, leave at whatever time, as long as the work gets done, lots of joking around, IT's "lock your goddamn computer" security policy was enforced through the mechanism of "if someone can get onto your PC and send out an email about cookies, you have to buy cookies for everyone". On the flip-side, my friends have in the past gone to work for a company that requires a full suit and tie every day and don't allow you to have an 'in-between' beard so you either have to have full facial hair or be clean-shaven. One of their 'benefits' is that they dry-clean the suits they force you to wear. I avoid companies like this, personally.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And it's the truth, the Kurds are national minorities in Syria, Turkey, Iraq and Iran, not a nation.

So only established countries get to be nations, or do you think we should split European countries back into their original tribes? Israel? The US??

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The fact that people need to resort to sex work just to survive is loving depressing.

Also Gove is coked up to the roof again, though totally unsurprising for this slimy amphibian piece of poo poo.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

coffeetable posted:

this is all careers. software is similar, but makes you far more cashmoney - even in 2019 - than anything else you can accomplish with a couple of months of retraining. the pay scale looks more like a doctor's or an engineer's, but without the decade of qualification.

Indeed, this is all careers under capitalism. But I feel the need to counterbalance the massive amount of "learn to code and you'll have a fantastic high paying career. Only £30k for a coding bootcamp!" stuff with a dose of reality. It can work but you need the right mindset for, and frankly a good dose luck to make it in an oversaturated global market.

After a quick google, this seems like a decent article: https://techbeacon.com/app-dev-testing/bootcamps-wont-make-you-coder-heres-what-will

Honestly I'd also argue that you'd be far better off going down a tradesman route, something like a sparky or plumber where there's always going to be consistent demand. While I've always enjoyed tech as a hobby, if I was living this life all over again I wouldn't touch an IT career with a bargepole.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol the Lib Dumbs are doubling down https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1194570124793171968

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Diet Crack posted:

The fact that people need to resort to sex work just to survive is loving depressing.

Also Gove is coked up to the roof again, though totally unsurprising for this slimy amphibian piece of poo poo.

The interviewer could've asked for a good cake recipe and Gove would have given the exact same line back to him

These loving p zombies

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/Lafargue/status/1194572231046598656?s=20

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Surprise T Rex posted:

Freelance work: there can be if you're good at marketing yourself. Everyone needs a website and most people don't need one that's much more complicated than a shiny brochure. Things like SEO and social media marketing also play well in this sort of work, if you can position yourself as someone who can do branding and website design/creation. There's ...

Thanks man, appreciate the effort

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

TACD posted:

I had a prophetic dream last night where Labour won 370 seats, which I consider to be a more reliable data point than most polls.

On the other hand I had a nightmare last night that the exit poll showed a Tory majority. Fortunately I don't believe in prophecy so the abject despair I felt (in my dream) walking home from that will probably just galvanise me to donate more large sums toward the campaign.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

This was deleted, :rip:

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

RockyB posted:

...Only £30k for a coding bootcamp!" stuff with a dose of reality. It can work but you need the right mindset for, and frankly a good dose luck to make it in an oversaturated global market...

I do feel like the bootcamp things are churning out a lot of candidates with the basic "Javascript plus Angular or React" skillset which is probably oversaturating that specific niche, but honestly "oversaturated" feels like a bad word to use to describe my experience as a dev. I'm nothing special, skills-wise, and I've been able to move jobs quite a lot without too much hassle so far. Perhaps that's just the C#/.Net scene in Nottingham, or perhaps I'm just very very lucky, but it feels like companies are constantly hiring developers.

It also feels like a 'safe' career to get into, because while a lot of jobs are at risk of being replaced with robots, software developers building bespoke tools are probably a likely candidate for being one of the harder jobs to automate.

The burnout stuff is different though and definitely a real problem, but again, capitalism and "you must work or you will starve".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Which is literally all I proposed, I disagreed that sex work is a necessary and inevitable industry until work itself is abolished. How the gently caress is that Victorian puritanicalism?
Because you're proposing 'full employment' while saying that sex as an industry shouldn't exist, that's going to lead to forced relocation of people within that sector to other sectors, which historically has always been more abusive than just having a decent social safety net, because it always gets cast as some kind of moral failure for sex workers who push back against that. Also it completely ignores how rife other service sectors (especially food and drink services) are with misogynist and sexual abuse towards workers, and yet nobody calls for bartending to be abolished even though it's not a 'necessary' role in society (it probably should be eventually though, as we end formal work), they call for people who harass or assault barstaff to face more penalties, which they should.

Flayer posted:

Do you even understand what you're saying? National borders are a man made construct and the Kurds are the majority in Kurdish areas of those nations you mentioned.
Most so called Welsh do not even speak yr iaith Cymraeg, nor practice Druidism, nor observe the traditional Welsh customs of playing the pibgorn and wearing tall hats, therefore Wales isn't real.

Miftan posted:

So only established countries get to be nations, or do you think we should split European countries back into their original tribes? Israel? The US??
European countries are pretty bad. Maybe we should let a table of African investors loose on it with a pencil and a straightedge.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

This is going to backfire so hard lol. loving lib dem fightback against anything even resembling competence right here.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm always suspicious of the big tech companies doing coding boot camps etc, it feels a lot like them intentionally flooding the market so they can drive wages in that sector down.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm always suspicious of the big tech companies doing coding boot camps etc, it feels a lot like them intentionally flooding the market so they can drive wages in that sector down.
The solution to that is, as always, unionize.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Who gives a gently caress about petit-bourgeois women's agency to enjoy sex on camera when they're providing the plausible deniability that allows the vast majority of adults to live with themselves enjoying the fruits of sexual slavery and survival sex work though?

Commentariat?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

https://twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/1194572893394481153?s=19

what a prick

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's right though, one of those two groups does do that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beweuMOVmBI

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My dad is a lifelong Lib Dem to the point that he's volunteered to be my area's PPC's secretary, and the way he's dealing with his party being absolute poo poo is flat out denial. He even defends the loving bar charts. I confronted him about them being deliberately misleading and he smugly said "they are often misinterpreted" like that's not exactly what they were going for. Naturally the only issue you can get an actual feeling out of him on is Brexit, but I'm pretty sure he's cultivating a nasty islamophobic streak.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Surprise T Rex posted:

I do feel like the bootcamp things are churning out a lot of candidates with the basic "Javascript plus Angular or React" skillset which is probably oversaturating that specific niche, but honestly "oversaturated" feels like a bad word to use to describe my experience as a dev.

Fair enough, it's true that there always seems to be a lack of good, experienced developers. But I'm arguing more that the process of going from naif starry eyed 'learn to code' guy to 'actually like the work and are good at it' is being underestimated. 'Oversaturated global market' was a way of not trying to sound like a bit of a racist oval office when pointing out that at the low level you're competing with work offshored to hundreds of thousands of people over in eastern Europe or India who also want some of that sweet, sweet development moolah.

Actually I'm just going to quote directly from that article I linked earlier because I think it makes two good points:

quote:

Mike Hadlow, a freelance C# developer with more than 20 years of software development experience, points out that software development is harder than people think. It's one of the few highly skilled occupations that requires no professional certification (although some believe it should), and it might just be the only highly skilled job where other workers in the industry give copious amounts of their free time and energy to help train people off the street.

That free entry is both good and bad, because, as Martin, author of the Clean Code Handbook, points out, the industry usually doesn’t benefit from hoards of novices, but needs carefully trained individuals. He compares good developer training to a flight school, adding that not many bootcamps are that intense, nor require as many hours of training.

Jeff Atwood, the co-founder of StackOverflow, perhaps sums it up best:

“While I love that programming is an egalitarian field where degrees and certifications are irrelevant in the face of experience, you still gotta put in your ten thousand hours like the rest of us.”

Ask yourself: Are you cut out for coding?
You've felt that first sip of power that programming gives you. You finish your first program, then all of the syntax starts to make sense after you build a few more, and perhaps complete a course on Codecademy or Coursera. At that moment, you think: “I could do this for a living.”

But at this stage of the game you still have no idea what you're doing. You haven’t stayed up until 2 AM three nights in a row trying to fix a bug or solve a problem. You haven’t had to spend the rest of your day sorting out version control issues and getting stuck going down multiple rabbit holes. You haven’t had your app stop working, even though you're sure that you didn't change anything.

You need an extreme level of commitment and patience to work all the way up to an entry level developer position, and exponentially more for the rest of your career. "It was—and is—that persistence that allows me to stay in this field," says Farag.

Going in, bootcamp students may not realize that computer science is actually a low-success educational field. And there’s plenty of evidence showing that computer science programs don’t have stellar graduation rates. Between 30 and 60 percent of first-year students in university computer science departments fail their first programming course. So why would anyone expect bootcamps to be significantly more successful?

What's more, developers who get computer science degrees say that they are largely self-taught, according to the 2016 Stack Overflow Developer Survey. Even computer science departments can’t keep up with the rate of change in the industry. Developers can never stop learning.

1.) Low barrier to entry doesn't mean that everyone is cut out for it
2.) You aren't going to know until a couple of years into the job if you can actually tolerate it as a career

E: RE: "I'm nothing special, skills-wise"

Actually you are. You've spent years getting to that point, and much of what you do is incomprehensible to the general public. Much like a mechanical engineer, doctor, plumber or sparky.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 13, 2019

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Surprise T Rex posted:

:siren: Coding job effort post incoming :siren:

Most Computer Science education focuses on the theoretical side of things - algorithms, CPU architecture, data structures and so on. While this stuff is really interesting and useful in some cases, it's not really the most direct route to "learning just enough to get paid to code".

Quick little addendum to this cool post. My original career plan was to do software development for industrial applications, programming robots, PLCs, etc. The CS degree I did around 15 years ago was focused heavily on C, C++ and assembly programming. I really struggled to get anywhere with these until I'd spent more time on the modules that covered CPU architecture, logic gates, memory and generally how computers work on a physical level. At a certain point everything just clicked into place, and it was definitely down to having a clear idea of what was happening 'under the hood'. This really helps to avoid common mistakes and to learn another language when needed. Generally the best programmers I've worked with are the ones who have a good sense of what their software actually does with the processor, memory and other resources.

If you can find some material out there that explains the general theory of how computer hardware operates it will make your learn-to-code journey soooo much easier.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Guavanaut posted:

Because you're proposing 'full employment' while saying that sex as an industry shouldn't exist, that's going to lead to forced relocation of people within that sector to other sectors, which historically has always been more abusive than just having a decent social safety net, because it always gets cast as some kind of moral failure for sex workers who push back against that. Also it completely ignores how rife other service sectors (especially food and drink services) are with misogynist and sexual abuse towards workers, and yet nobody calls for bartending to be abolished even though it's not a 'necessary' role in society (it probably should be eventually though, as we end formal work), they call for people who harass or assault barstaff to face more penalties, which they should.

Actually some bartenders like being sexually abused and it robs them of their agency to suggest otherwise.

Guavanaut posted:

Most so called Welsh do not even speak yr iaith Cymraeg, nor practice Druidism, nor observe the traditional Welsh customs of playing the pibgorn and wearing tall hats, therefore Wales isn't real.

Wales and Scotland aren't nations, no. You're all British. You all share a common economic life, a common national language and a national character. Next you're going to pretend Cornwall's a nation.

Miftan posted:

Of course not only established countries are nations. There are differences between what constitutes colonised nations and oppressed nations in Europe and West Asia. Two very different contexts.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Ratjaculation, as a fellow lover of Skills Wallets, I thought you might appreciate this.

https://www.libdems.org.uk/skills-wallet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RockyB posted:

quote:

You need an extreme level of commitment and patience to work all the way up to an entry level developer position, and exponentially more for the rest of your career. "It was—and is—that persistence that allows me to stay in this field," says Farag.

quote:

Farag.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Actually some bartenders like being sexually abused and it robs them of their agency to suggest otherwise.
If that's the case then they can procure that on their own time, perhaps from some kind of industry that deals in such through mutual consent.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/GetDisneyPlus/status/1194371507427909634?s=20

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Chucat posted:

Ratjaculation, as a fellow lover of Skills Wallets, I thought you might appreciate this.

https://www.libdems.org.uk/skills-wallet

Powerful meme game from those crazy kids at LDHQ

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Cerebral Bore posted:

This is going to backfire so hard lol. loving lib dem fightback against anything even resembling competence right here.

We asked someone to stand, and they stood down, so we went down the list and found your candidate, the first person without a backbone!

VOTE SPINELESS JOE!

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

My favourite part is the republic of london not including most of the dot representing london.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
[/quote]

:frogleave:

Also,

https://twitter.com/cstross/status/1194585377434193926?s=19

Of all the Eldritch abominations Charlie has summoned into being, this is truly the most pissening

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm a QA tester and have been trying to learn to code for the past year in quiet periods of my job. I'm learning Python and have written a couple of simple automation scripts. I'd love to get into development but it feels like learning to code is such a slow process. I also don't feel like I've actually learnt much, sure I've written scripts and things that work but it's mostly just finding similar pieces of code by googling the problem, pasting them together and modifying them slightly until they work.

I'm completely fine with the workload and actual job of developers though. As a QA I seem to get a lot more pressure and last minute problems to deal with, I just get paid a lot less than the devs to try and sort them out. I'm definitely going to stick with learning Python though, it is very satisfying to figure out a problem you've been stuck on for ages.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

probably worth cross posting this, cos given whats just happened in bolivia and the credible threats made against corbyn by the CIA and US state department, i genuinely think he should 180 on nukes and amp up what a maniac he is now about them. there is a reason they won't do more than send strongly worded tweets in north korea's direction you know?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So is all work engaged in inherently abusive? Because I'd agree but that speaks to abolishing work.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

sebzilla posted:

Powerful meme game from those crazy kids at LDHQ

This feels like high camp.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I just have to point out how loving gullible the lot of you are for not even interrogating the possibility that these sex workers who make it known how much they love their job might need to say so to keep traffic up and keep their job, or like many abused women are completely in denial about their abuse and simply have a warped sense of what's healthy due to the need to survive that abuse.

Josef bugman posted:

So is all work engaged in inherently abusive? Because I'd agree but that speaks to abolishing work.

I'm not against the abolition of work (provided it's abolished in the third world long before the core), it's just a very long process and not necessary for the abolition of sex work.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Nov 13, 2019

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

xtothez posted:

Quick little addendum to this cool post. My original career plan was to do software development for industrial applications, programming robots, PLCs, etc. The CS degree I did around 15 years ago was focused heavily on C, C++ and assembly programming. I really struggled to get anywhere with these until I'd spent more time on the modules that covered CPU architecture, logic gates, memory and generally how computers work on a physical level. At a certain point everything just clicked into place, and it was definitely down to having a clear idea of what was happening 'under the hood'. This really helps to avoid common mistakes and to learn another language when needed. Generally the best programmers I've worked with are the ones who have a good sense of what their software actually does with the processor, memory and other resources.

If you can find some material out there that explains the general theory of how computer hardware operates it will make your learn-to-code journey soooo much easier.

If you want to learn about computers down to the very bottom I’ve never found a better overview than this.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLowKtXNTBypGqImE405J2565dvjafglHU

It’s an amazing video series where a guy called Ben Eater makes a fully functioning 8 bit computer from logic gates. I learnt more about what computers actually do than I have in my entire 25 year programming career. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ms Adequate posted:

Porn has no inherent problems.

Porn as it exists in our society can easily have a variety of problematic elements, ranging from its production to what impact it may have on viewers.

In short, dismantle capitalism and usher in a world-ending communist bacchanal.

Porn has no inherent problems.

Industry does.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I just have to point out how loving gullible the lot of you are for not even interrogating the possibility that these sex workers who make it known how much they love their job might need to say so to keep traffic up and keep their job, or like many abused women are completely in denial about their abuse and simply have a warped sense of what's healthy due to the need to survive that abuse.

oh well ok yeah if you assume everyone who says something is good is lying, I guess that does show that nobody likes it

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry if any of this "arguing in favour of coding" comes across as argumentative or defensive, I'm trying not to discount other people's experiences or feelings on it. :ohdear:

RockyB posted:

1.) Low barrier to entry doesn't mean that everyone is cut out for it
2.) You aren't going to know until a couple of years into the job if you can actually tolerate it as a career

These are definitely true. Coding is a skill anyone can learn, but being a software developer is only partially coding. A good chunk of the job is navigating incredibly vague requirements, tracking down bugs that seem impossible, working out why your thing won't deploy properly, estimating stuff wrong by an order of magnitude and then getting stressed that you're taking too long, learning new stuff constantly because everything you work on is going to involve a set of slightly different skills and knowledge, and just plain having the sheer patience to smash your head into understanding why something that SHOULD work just... isn't.

It's not something everyone would enjoy or want to do for sure, but again, I suppose neither is telesales or insurance claim management and at least this pays pretty good.

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1194588477289091072?s=20