Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

IGN 9.3

Saying its best game in entire series

Ah, this further confirms my suspicions that IGN is receiving kickbacks from Team Magma to quash any games with water and promote games with none. IGN will rue the day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Cant wait for Nintendo to realize they can update pokemon into the game

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Why thank you, goon sire. 5 epic golden manbabies for you :five:

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Average Bear posted:

This. Wife's boyfriend isn't letting me get this quite yet, but I've already spent my internet time allowance watching every review of it out there. Looks amazing.

?????

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^he was pretty clear, man!

Zodack posted:

Eh, the Twitter quote is right only if the people complaining are using that as their argument. Not including the National dex is an interesting design decision that worries me but also is interesting. It's more about not having the guys you like, and not knowing when they'll ever be available again, than not having them all.

It's also a wildly unprofessional tweet regardless of its correctness. That being said, looking forward to more reviews.

She was being reductive for sure but there absolutely were a ton of 'HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO CATCH EM ALL NOW GF?!' mixed in with 'man I fuckin really like that pokemon, lame that they got snapped'

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

sexpig by night posted:

She was being reductive for sure but there absolutely were a ton of 'HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO CATCH EM ALL NOW GF?!' mixed in with 'man I fuckin really like that pokemon, lame that they got snapped'

pokémon are just pixels, it's dumb to get attached to them anyway

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

^^^he was pretty clear, man!

Oh yeah, the replies to that tweet made my head implode. Her tweet was annoying in tone but is vastly outweighed by all the manchildren.

I mean hell, I have a living dex and I don't even care that I won't be able to carry it over to SwSh.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

There has been online some really loving weird spite against anyone saying the Sw/Sh might not be god's gift to gaming and what I can say, social media was a mistake as is almost all of the videogame journalism industry.

Live Free posted:

pokémon are just pixels, it's dumb to get attached to them anyway

They are imaginary, just like your good posts.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

qnqnx posted:

social media was a mistake

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

qnqnx posted:

There has been online some really loving weird spite

If only there was some aphorism that could summarise the mentality and behaviour of people on the internet

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I feel like my main worry with the IGN and Gamespot reviews is they don't really touch the actual problems that the leakers and Eurogamer savaged the game for. Like yes dexit bad, people overreacted and it's not that bad. That was their main rebuttal and I agree but like the lack of post game, exp share being mandatory, bad story, crappy wild areas, just looking and animating bad etc are much bigger problems though.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

qnqnx posted:

There has been online some really loving weird spite against anyone saying the Sw/Sh might not be god's gift to gaming and what I can say, social media was a mistake as is almost all of the videogame journalism industry.

They are imaginary, just like your good posts.

my posts are streamlined and have just the right amount of water, why are you being such a crybaby?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

A Sometimes Food posted:

I feel like my main worry with the IGN and Gamespot reviews is they don't really touch the actual problems that the leakers and Eurogamer savaged the game for. Like yes dexit bad, people overreacted and it's not that bad. That was their main rebuttal and I agree but like the lack of post game, exp share being mandatory, bad story, crappy wild areas, just looking and animating bad etc are much bigger problems though.

Most of the reviews touch on the wild areas, exp share & post game and don't seem to think they were bad!

Sounds like they balanced the game for the EXP Share, personally.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

DemoneeHo posted:

Ah, this further confirms my suspicions that IGN is receiving kickbacks from Team Magma to quash any games with water and promote games with none. IGN will rue the day!

IGN is working with Big Groudon. It all makes sense now! :tinfoil: Groudon is not in the dex because he is too important to gently caress around in Galar, he’s orchestrating the new Poke-world order.

I heard that you outlevel the game pretty handily with exp share on unless you skip trainers but can’t you access your PC in the open world now? The solution is simple: have rotating teams. It’s one of those design decisions that’s stupid but not the end of the world; SwSh has soooo many bigger problems to focus on.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

So what extinct animal was the basis for Gorillaboom? My guess is the Piltdown Man.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

extra row of teeth posted:

IGN is working with Big Groudon. It all makes sense now! :tinfoil: Groudon is not in the dex because he is too important to gently caress around in Galar, he’s orchestrating the new Poke-world order.

I heard that you outlevel the game pretty handily with exp share on unless you skip trainers but can’t you access your PC in the open world now? The solution is simple: have rotating teams. It’s one of those design decisions that’s stupid but not the end of the world; SwSh has soooo many bigger problems to focus on.

I think that's absolutely a fair design consideration, but also not exactly an intuitive one. Especially since up until now the games had team rotations be a lot more permanent, with some Pokemon like your starter almost never leaving the party. I don't know how you'd do more to highlight having a rotating party, tbh, but I feel like there has to be a way.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Yeah you can swap out pokemon at any time. Not the worst issue with the game. But it is a needleesly tedious solution to a problem that didn't exist before.

Edit: vvv oh, i did not know about that limitation before. That makes it dumber than before

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

You can only access the PC at Pokemon centers or in the Wild area. On regular routes or dungeons etc its works the same as always

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I don't understand the hate for James Turner. Everything he's designed has been gold and that includes the silly sentient ice cream creature. Vullaby using a skull as a diaper and Mandibuzz using the mandible of another skull as an apron is goddamn inspired. Golurk is a perfect Ancient Giant Robo ghost. Everyone loves the spooky haunted tree and he blessed us with the immaculate perfection that is Buzzwole. I won't hear a word against him. :colbert:

Also he has my dream job and I may be jealous.

All the ultrabeasts are dogshit and the only benefit to them culling the pokedex is that we'll hopefully never have to see them ever again.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pentaro posted:

So what extinct animal was the basis for Gorillaboom? My guess is the Piltdown Man.

It'd be really funny if the theme this gen was just fuckups of science. Fake Piltdown Man inspiring the gorilla pokemon, jacked up fossils, wheezing who eats pollution instead of makes it, just Galar is a nation where they just hosed all their science right up.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

MelvinBison posted:

Does anyone have hands on experience with the switch lite who can tell me if it's worth it?

If you live near a Best Buy, you may want to go there and check it out. My local one had a Lite by the Switch display set to demo mode. It will give you a good idea on the dimensions and all that. Just remember that tabletop* and dock/on tv mode aren't possible with the Switch Lite. Joy cons and other accessories are still compatible, but I find it hard to believe too many people will play multi player Smash or the movement games on a Lite.

If Let's Go is anything to go by, this game was likely made to be played in handheld mode.

Any word on if the Pro Controller works with Sword/Shield?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Zore posted:

You can only access the PC at Pokemon centers or in the Wild area. On regular routes or dungeons etc its works the same as always

Never mind, its silly again now.

IMO Gamefreak should've either made just the Wild Area or just a regular Pokemon game. I respect what they went for but man are the ideas fraying against each other.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Zore posted:

uuuUUUUUGGHHHH

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Framboise posted:

You're really going to struggle to get an objective answer anywhere because it's extremely polarizing. Some people are thinking it's the absolute worst most insulting thing ever, and others are very excited.

The game has flaws, some of which may be frustrating. If you can accept that, get the game and have fun! If not, you're probably better off giving the game a miss and either playing something more worth your money or join the dead horse beating riot.

I think it's gonna be ok. Not amazing, not mindblowing. But it'll be ok and I'll grab it.

I think this is where I land, too. I love these games but I've never been a super fan, I've never done a ton of postgame or any competitive stuff. I just really like picking up a new pokemon game every couple years and being like yeah this is Pokemon this is the good poo poo

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Borsche69 posted:

All the ultrabeasts are dogshit and the only benefit to them culling the pokedex is that we'll hopefully never have to see them ever again.

I really, really disagree with you and your general attitude towards these games, but...this is just...MODS?????

Are the nature mints an end-game only thing? I'd like to have access to them earlier.

Are EV lowering berries easy to get?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

They never indicated it wouldn't be that otherwise?

To clarify: they said that it would be accessible in wild area, but never said anything about PC access outside of it.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

iospace posted:

They never indicated it wouldn't be that otherwise?

I thought when they said outside they meant routes too, which meant the difficulty issue would be nullified because you could easily swap teams.

I guess it still won’t be too bad, just have them on deck whenever you go to heal team A or B, but that’s just one more pain in the rear end step that is there where a toggle would have fixed it. I always had exp share off because the newer games are so easy you could mash buttons blindly while reading your phone and as long as you didn’t spam Agility like Gen 1’s enemy AI, you would win.

Maybe I’ll do a monotype run :shrug:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I think this is where I land, too. I love these games but I've never been a super fan, I've never done a ton of postgame or any competitive stuff. I just really like picking up a new pokemon game every couple years and being like yeah this is Pokemon this is the good poo poo

this is interesting because I'm into both the casual pve playthrough and competitive pvp but the former is leaving me alot colder based on what we've been seeing. it really feels like the competitive players are gonna have a better time at the end of the day

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Avalerion posted:

Yes you’ll just need to find someone who wants to trade. Your best chance will be trading your legendary for theirs.

Nanigans posted:

Yup. Gotta hope someone is willing though. Given enough time, you'll 100% be able to find someone to do this.

Awesome thanks, yea I'll be happy to trade shield cat for sword cat and def not in a hurry

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

MelvinBison posted:

All things considered, I don't mind waiting on getting a copy until next year since I still need to get a switch. Does anyone have hands on experience with the switch lite who can tell me if it's worth it?

In the meantime I'm just going to grab a copy of BW2 on Ebay. Still need to play that one.

As a person who almost exclusively buys handhelds, I'm very happy with the Lite.

I hope this pokemon makes me want to go back and play the versions I missed/didn't finish.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nanigans posted:

I really, really disagree with you and your general attitude towards these games, but...this is just...MODS?????

Ultrabeasts are wierdos, and not proper pokemon. They were first on the block. :colbert:

....That said, I feel bad for anyone who considered them a favorite, and they were definitely one of the more interesting/creative additions. They might be one of the better sidequest/tangential "lengendary" pokemon/content of the last few gens?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I really feel like I might need both a Scorbunny and a Sobble, they are both just so good and so are their evolutions

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

this is interesting because I'm into both the casual pve playthrough and competitive pvp but the former is leaving me alot colder based on what we've been seeing. it really feels like the competitive players are gonna have a better time at the end of the day

That’s exactly how I am. I like them both but thank god I like competitive because the pve seems hollow this time around.

That being said they have never done this much for the competitive side before and that side has the most longevity, at least personally, so :neckbeard:

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
I don’t care at all about the National dex cause I don’t import Pokémon over anyways but the review talking about how there are literally no dungeons and everything (besides the wild area) is just a hallway with maybe a fork in it, and how tons of landmarks are closed off or just empty streets, is really disappointing.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Does anyone end up with the starter you and your rival don’t pick btw?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Avalerion posted:

i think bede does?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Fancy Hat! posted:

Most of the reviews touch on the wild areas, exp share & post game and don't seem to think they were bad!

Sounds like they balanced the game for the EXP Share, personally.

Maybe. All that leaked footage looked pretty bad though. I'm gonna wait a month or two see what's up I guess, watch some streams.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

it really feels like the competitive players are gonna have a better time at the end of the day

good.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

RatHat posted:

Apparently to evolve Farfetch’d you need to KO 3 Pokémon with it in a single battle. That’s kinda annoying.

Blaziken386 posted:

oh wow that's a cool mechanic actually - until I remember watching the stream and seeing that most trainers had 2 pokemon with them

Is the wild pokemon calling for help mechanic back? That could help alleviate the scarcity. Otherwise how would we evolve any Sirfetches after beating all the trainers in game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Avalerion posted:

It's Leon, the champion