Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That strikes me as a stretch, honestly. It doesn't talk about gender norms or behavior; it's all about a few specific classes of discrimination that were in the public discussion heavily at the time. It was about things like specifically refusing to hire women at all or paying them less because they're women. A company that didn't give a crap what you were so long as you weren't gay isn't doing any gender discrimination at all.

Think about it this way. Is discrimination again miscegenation discrimination on the basis of race, or is it just discrimination against misceginizers? After all, I might not give a crap what race you are so long as you don't misceginize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Stickman posted:

Think about it this way. Is discrimination again miscegenation discrimination on the basis of race, or is it just discrimination against misceginizers? After all, I might not give a crap what race you are so long as you don't misceginize.

This was a key concept in the oral arguments this week, and it's actually kind of difficult to argue against. However, I think Sotomayor and Ginsburg raising the fact that sex discrimination for sexual harassment was later read into Title 7 is one of the better arguments. That puts the onus on the defense in these cases to demonstrate why their objection to reading Title 7 as protecting trans or gay people doesn't also overturn decades of settled law on sexual harassment.

The arguments by the defense in these cases stating that the discrimination is actually one step removed so therefore outside the bounds of the text of the law are very weak. I don't think this was ever brought up so explicitly, but sexual orientation discrimination and other kinds of discrimination necessarily follow the "but for" rule when it comes to the class in question. The concepts themselves are defined in those terms. Being gay is fundamentally linked to the sex assigned at birth. Whether or not you're engaged in marrying outside your race or religion is inherently linked to your race or religion. You can try to do sleight of hand to claim some kind of separation, but that's meaningless in practice.

I was really frustrated with the oral argument on this. There was a lot of "well both sides have their way of looking at it, and it's all so close..." going on, and I really reject that thinking. I know the advocates know they have to convince a 5-4 Republican majority on these points, but it just felt like low-hanging fruit. There isn't a both sides to this. One side makes logical sense and jives with the text of the law as written and the concepts themselves. The other side is just making poo poo up.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ErIog posted:

I was really frustrated with the oral argument on this. There was a lot of "well both sides have their way of looking at it, and it's all so close..." going on, and I really reject that thinking. I know the advocates know they have to convince a 5-4 Republican majority on these points, but it just felt like low-hanging fruit. There isn't a both sides to this. One side makes logical sense and jives with the text of the law as written and the concepts themselves. The other side is just making poo poo up.

yeah fundamentally it's really hard for it to simultaneously be true that

(1) I am forbidden from discriminating against a woman for being 'not feminine enough', as it is impermissible gender stereotyping (Price Waterhouse v. Hopkins); and also
(2) I am permitted to use that same failure-to-meet-gender-stereotypes to infer that she is a lesbian and discriminate against her for this reason instead

the only way to make the doctrine make sense and still allow you to discriminate against gays is to go back and overrule all the gender stereotyping jurisprudence that's like 20-30 years old

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

No. And don’t listen to tweets from people unaware that Bush v Gore didn’t change the outcome of the election, just the timetable.

That's not his point. The court in Bush v Gore *thought# they were stealing an election, and did it anyway.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's not his point. The court in Bush v Gore *thought# they were stealing an election, and did it anyway.

Repubz gonna repub.

Seriously that single decision helped cement permanent Republican rule for the next 20 years or more so, with a brief blip of 2008-2010-- with 2010 being so successful for Repubs that this country will most likely have minority rule by them until they are able to cause such a Constitutional crisis that they get those re-writes cement permanent apartheid to turn this place into an even shittier combination of Russia and China that they all seem to be jerking off to the idea of.

They will have no problem doing it again in another 5-4.

That was the whole reason for denying Obama another seat and pushing through vaguely 100% conservative loyalist Gorsuch and then insane 1000000% masturbating to being the best loyalist ever Beerboi

jeeves fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 13, 2019

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

jeeves posted:

Repubz gonna repub.

Seriously that single decision helped cement permanent Republican rule for the next 20 years or more so, with a brief blip of 2008-2010-- with 2010 being so successful for Repubs that this country will most likely have minority rule by them until they are able to cause such a Constitutional crisis that they get those re-writes cement permanent apartheid to turn this place into an even shittier combination of Russia and China that they all seem to be jerking off to the idea of.

They will have no problem doing it again in another 5-4.

That was the whole reason for denying Obama another seat and pushing through vaguely 100% conservative loyalist Gorsuch and then insane 1000000% masturbating to being the best loyalist ever Beerboi

There will never be a Constitutional rewrite that is not favorable to the right wing without an earth-shattering political shift that would all but certainly result in widespread violence from the increasingly insane fascist fringe. The number of low population deep red states protects the GOP the same way it provides them a huge advantage in the Senate.

Like if the stars align and Trump actually gets impeached and the MAGA CHUDs vote against Republicans out of spite next year then we MIGHT get close to the numbers but the Dems would still lack the political will unless the entire leadership gets ousted and replaced, which needs to happen regardless but isn't too likely.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

eke out posted:

yeah fundamentally it's really hard for it to simultaneously be true that

(1) I am forbidden from discriminating against a woman for being 'not feminine enough', as it is impermissible gender stereotyping (Price Waterhouse v. Hopkins); and also
(2) I am permitted to use that same failure-to-meet-gender-stereotypes to infer that she is a lesbian and discriminate against her for this reason instead

the only way to make the doctrine make sense and still allow you to discriminate against gays is to go back and overrule all the gender stereotyping jurisprudence that's like 20-30 years old
Sounds like a win-win for conservatives, op.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

don’t listen to tweets from people

Fixed your post.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

This seems bad...

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1185268299862556674

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Wouldn't saying the CFPB is too independent of the executive also destroy the Federal Reserve as well?

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

This however seems good!

https://twitter.com/srl/status/1185298980013522944

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i think southpaw probably got the wrong idea here

https://twitter.com/deepakguptalaw/status/1185280777619234818

unfortunately it's really not, that holding extends the injunction but only for the plaintiffs - that is, the specific dozen people named here, not the class of disenfranchised voters as a whole.

it's maybe a sign they'll have a favorable outcome from this judge, but unfortunately the 11th circuit is nuts and unlikely to uphold any favorable outcome imo

that said, if we actually managed to end up with the "genuinely unable to pay" standard here, it'd be incredibly good for us. it'd depend on how it's defined, but i assume it will be similar to qualifying for civil indigent status here (and literally every person i've ever met who would want reenfranchisement qualifies for CIS).

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 21, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

So is the DoJ in charge of defending the constitutionality of the CFPB? Because that seems like it wouldn’t be great...

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

eke out posted:

i think southpaw probably got the wrong idea here

As he points out, striking down all of Dodd-Frank for a single clause's mistake would be ludicrous. However, that just raises the question of why they need everyone to argue it in the first place.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Stickman posted:

So is the DoJ in charge of defending the constitutionality of the CFPB? Because that seems like it wouldn’t be great...

Yes, it's the Solicitor General and DOJ as the respondent. And yes, they have terrible opinions.

Petitioner is the debt scam person who wants a ruling that the CFPB can't make them stop doing scummy stuff

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/19/19-7/116040/20190917144324154_19-7%20Seila%20Law.pdf

This link is CFPB/DOJ's response, and an excerpt where they opine on why they are unconstitutional, emphasis mine.

quote:

Petitioner contends (Pet. 18-25)that the structure of the Bureau, including the for-cause restriction on the removal of its single director, violates the Constitution’s separation of powers. The United States previously informed this Court that it has also concluded the statutory restriction on the President’s authority to remove the Director violates the Constitution’s separation of powers, and that the question would warrant this Court’s review in an appropriate case. See Gov’t Br. in Opp., State Nat’l Bank of Big Spring v. Mnuchin (No. 18-307). The Director of the Bureau has since reached the same conclusion. This case presents a suitable vehicle for the Court’s review of the question.The government thus agrees with petitioner that certiorari is warranted.

The Director is taking the position that the law granting her her powers is unconstitutional, because she does not believe in the agency's mission.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Is there any non-bullshit basis for "creating a Bureau whose leadership can't be fired by the POTUS on a whim" is Unconstitutional?

In other "burn them all and salt the earth news" Roberts and co appear to have dropped any pretense of caring about fair elections:
https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/supreme-court-vacates-ruling-finding-michigan-unconstitutionally-gerrymandered-congressional-districts/

Can't wait to see the 2020 census maps result in every GOP-held state getting gerrymandered to give them a permanent supermajority.

No amount of bad poo poo could happen to that man that would ever make me feel an ounce of pity for him or the other conservative justices.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 21, 2019

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can't wait to see the 2020 census maps result in every GOP-held state getting gerrymandered to give them a permanent supermajority.

Given the likely result of next year's elections, there's a decent chance that the Dems end up banishing the GOP into gerrymander hell for a decade.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is there any non-bullshit basis for "creating a Bureau whose leadership can't be fired by the POTUS on a whim" is Unconstitutional?

I think the standard answer is the first sentence of Article II, Section 1: "The executive power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America." Obviously there's disagreement as to how far this principle should be taken.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I think the standard answer is the first sentence of Article II, Section 1: "The executive power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America." Obviously there's disagreement as to how far this principle should be taken.

The Federal Reserve has lasted independent of the President since 1913 though, and the first 20 years of that had very conservative courts.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1187120842536374275?s=21

So I assume that this means the DOJ is not defending CFPB?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Has the judicial system ever considered whether any legislation that regulates for the sake of global climate change, such as regulating intrastate zoning policy, should be considered interstate commerce

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

galenanorth posted:

Has the judicial system ever considered whether any legislation that regulates for the sake of global climate change, such as regulating intrastate zoning policy, should be considered interstate commerce

Well if you look at the historical record, you see that the Framers clearly didn’t intend for the federal government to deal with climate change, and therefore

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The racist, rapist, extremely wealthy, slaving aristocrats that set up our government to interfere with other people but not them wouldn't want to fix problems for those people. Therefore, we rule that driving the bus off a cliff is constitutionally valid and essentially required

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1187120842536374275?s=21

So I assume that this means the DOJ is not defending CFPB?

Yea the republicans want to kill it so their plan is to just not defend it. The CFPB’s own position currently is that the CFPB is unconstitutional and should be destroyed. It’s all very stupid

Paul Clement was solicitor general for the W administration. He’s also probably one of the best Supreme Court litigators in America currently. I don’t know how he feels about the CFPB but I know how he feels about his reputation so I doubt he tries to throw the case or anything like that

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

EwokEntourage posted:

Yea the republicans want to kill it so their plan is to just not defend it. The CFPB’s own position currently is that the CFPB is unconstitutional and should be destroyed. It’s all very stupid

Paul Clement was solicitor general for the W administration. He’s also probably one of the best Supreme Court litigators in America currently. I don’t know how he feels about the CFPB but I know how he feels about his reputation so I doubt he tries to throw the case or anything like that

Yeah, this is a good appointment. Clement is one of the few people I'd trust to argue effectively for something he doesn't agree with, high school debate style.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/KellyO/status/1194643355797508097

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Well if there is one thing that will guarantee* 0 Republican votes to convinct in the Senate, it's RBG's seat opening up :suicide:

*Not that there was a chance anyways

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm honestly surprised Putin has not just assassinated the liberal justices.

Our system is already so broken due to the Senate that it seems a very easy thing to do. Even if Democrats attempt to filibuster any new somehow-worse-than-Beerboi 18 year old new justice, the simple majority to pass + Pence's vote means they can have their way. And even if somehow the process gets bogged down, it would still be a smaller court with even more of a Republican advantage.

It's almost as if running a country using a pretty outdated set of rules written 240 years ago isn't such a great idea.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

President Pence can sign off on a Heritage Foundation pick just as easily as Trump, though (probably more easily!) There's maybe one Republican who would conceivably be opposed to ramming through a SCOTUS nominee on January 19th, probably none.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

RBG only has to hang on until January 1st. Then it'll be an election year so any SC nomination will have to be decided by the elec...hahahahaha

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Christ this makes me nervous as an oncologist.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

If the worst happens to RGB I'd fully support her family just spending a year+ saying RGB is refusing all visitors because of her health and no she's not resigning.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Evil Fluffy posted:

If the worst happens to RGB I'd fully support her family just spending a year+ saying RGB is refusing all visitors because of her health and no she's not resigning.

I still kinda suspect they did this for McCain.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

jeeves posted:

Even if Democrats attempt to filibuster any new somehow-worse-than-Beerboi 18 year old new justice, the simple majority to pass + Pence's vote means they can have their way. And even if somehow the process gets bogged down, it would still be a smaller court with even more of a Republican advantage.

Don't worry, it won't come to that. Republicans removed the filibuster for SCOTUS nominees in under an hour when Neil Gorsuch was up for confirmation.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bubbacub posted:

RBG only has to hang on until January 1st. Then it'll be an election year so any SC nomination will have to be decided by the elec...hahahahaha

McConnell straight-up said they'd vote to confirm in that situation. Like, no hesitation.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Don't worry, it won't come to that. Republicans removed the filibuster for SCOTUS nominees in under an hour when Neil Gorsuch was up for confirmation.

fukken laffff

Mod edit: nope

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 14, 2019

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

jeeves posted:

fukken laffff

Yeah there certainly wouldn't be any response to this air-tight plan you came up with. Are you Scooter Libby?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 14, 2019

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Knock knock knockin' on Lowtax's door.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Clearly you're the first person to ever think of that, which is why the justices take no security precautions whatsoever at any time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Evil Fluffy posted:

I feel like they'd actually impeach her at that point