Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Mr. Lobe posted:

I wonder what is going to happen to her body with her mask on Alison.

I feel like it will either reform when allison removes her from her face, since it seems like the body is already disintegrating from just putting her mask in her hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Demiurges stronger!

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Gay marriage fusion dance powers activate!

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

"I dunno if I'm ready for a serious relationship right now."
"Okay cool anyway put my face on your face do it do it doitdoitdoitdoitdoit"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Glagha posted:

"I dunno if I'm ready for a serious relationship right now."
"Okay cool anyway put my face on your face do it do it doitdoitdoitdoitdoit"

I'm pretty sure a bit of casual facesitting is nothing unusual to these two.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This is extremely horny and gay and I’m here for it.

Edit: Cio is going to eat Allison inside out.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I AM SO loving HYYYYYYPE.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Lemme ride yo face girl!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Well at least one of them trusts Cio.

Yag when?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

thechosenone posted:

I feel like it will either reform when allison removes her from her face, since it seems like the body is already disintegrating from just putting her mask in her hands

Probably, yeah. Devils ARE their mask, the rest of them is just pure chaos formed into a body. Same way we're just a bunch of cells. She does say "put ME on", not "put my mask on".

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Yeah, Allison will just have to cram that mask back onto some black flame and the black flame will be shaped by the mask.

It's all just Himself all the way down.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Probably, yeah. Devils ARE their mask, the rest of them is just pure chaos formed into a body. Same way we're just a bunch of cells. She does say "put ME on", not "put my mask on".

A devil is an ember of the hungry black flame. The mask binds them to a recognizable form, but it is not the totality of their consciousness and self. If it were, Princess would be an entirely new being, since she was bound by a fresh mask. But she remembers being Vladok, which means that there is a sense of self that persists through bindings.

Saying a Devil is their mask is like saying an Angel is their shell. Much like water poured into a container, they might change to fit the vessel, but they are not the vessel itself.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Amusingly devils in KSBD seem to function a lot like people do in Buddhism, i.e. all one essential consciousness that goes through iterative changes such that we can't say there is an essential being. Instead it's just a union of appearance and emptiness of inherent characteristics that gives rise in the moment to a thing we might call a "person."

There are big differences obviously too (inherent qualities and dualisms and etc.) but it's a pretty cool and robust concept overall.

tl;dr I like KSBD devils, they are good, and KSBD is good

Thank you for coming to my TEDX

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

madam i wear no mask

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I do wonder what will happen to Cio's body though. Will it merge with Allison's? Dissipate into unbound black flame stuff? How permanent is this?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Who What Now posted:

A devil is an ember of the hungry black flame. The mask binds them to a recognizable form, but it is not the totality of their consciousness and self. If it were, Princess would be an entirely new being, since she was bound by a fresh mask. But she remembers being Vladok, which means that there is a sense of self that persists through bindings.

Ah, but the reverse is also true. Cio's husband brought her back just by piecing her mask back together. I'd wager if you put Vladok's original mask back together, you get something closer to Vladok than Princess. But instead Alison took a fresh mask and made something new.

The chaos that made up Vladok was still in one piece at the moment it was masked. That's probably why Princess has memories of being Vladok.

Who What Now posted:

Saying a Devil is their mask is like saying an Angel is their shell. Much like water poured into a container, they might change to fit the vessel, but they are not the vessel itself.

Nah, I don't agree. They're exact opposites. Devils ARE their masks, and the chaos is just the body that forms around that personality. Angels are beings that can be in ANY shell, and are unchanged by whichever one they're in.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 13, 2019

Tomoe Goonzen
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
JESUS CHRIST

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The chaos that made up Vladok was still in one piece at the moment it was masked. That's probably why Princess has memories of being Vladok.

Didn't she literally rip the mask off a different devil? What happened to that devil anyway?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Glagha posted:

I do wonder what will happen to Cio's body though. Will it merge with Allison's? Dissipate into unbound black flame stuff? How permanent is this?

The flame dissipates without a mask to bind it. Meanwhile she'll just eat Allison's soul flame directly to survive. But Allison's soul flame is basically forever with that key.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Didn't she literally rip the mask off a different devil? What happened to that devil anyway?

It was a fresh mask intended for another devil, but Allison gave it a name.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Grand Prize Winner posted:

No, there was a group of humans making a pact with a devil and creating a new mask for it: https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-1-13/

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-2-32/

So it was ABOUT to be a devil's mask, but never was used.

Beaten, but I have LINKS!

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Also of note the situation with Princess is apparently unprecedented and should not have worked.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Talk about taking your relationship to the next level.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

What, you mean you don't normally bind devils by just shoving a mask at it and screaming names until its under control?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Glagha posted:

What, you mean you don't normally bind devils by just shoving a mask at it and screaming names until its under control?

You know, it wouldn't surprise me if this would have always worked, but nobody was bold stupid and drunk enough to try it before now.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Just noticed this while looking back:

Is Alison some magnet for horny blue devils, or do they just all have a type?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

that's cio

I didn't see the arrow. Yeah, I guess

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
One of the qualities of Furious Dumbass is that you try a lot of things that end up working even though people can't figure out how.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think that one's just giggling about Cio's comment

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Glagha posted:

I think that one's just giggling about Cio's comment

Could be, but I like the story in my head where all blue devils are uncontrollably horny for Alison.

habeasdorkus posted:

One of the qualities of Furious Dumbass is that you try a lot of things that end up working even though people can't figure out how.

That's the main quality that makes this story so fun. Almost every plot point could be boiled down to, "Here's how things are, they can't be changed or done differently" and then Alison blusters in and goes "gently caress that". I love it.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 13, 2019

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
Devils are characterized by their desire to consume and presumably Allison's got the most powerful soul flame in the multiverse so I mean it makes sense

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

No, there was a group of humans making a pact with a devil and creating a new mask for it: https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-1-13/

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-2-32/

So it was ABOUT to be a devil's mask, but never was used.

Beaten, but I have LINKS!

Man, the drinking contest is so good. It's probably my favorite segment.

It's even better if you picture it animated and voiced like a Disney musical, perhaps "I've Got a Dream" from Tangled.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ConfusedUs posted:

It's even better if you picture it animated and voiced like a Disney musical, perhaps "I've Got a Dream" from Tangled.

Srsly. That whole section should be studied in a class somewhere as an example of masterful worldbuilding. It's essentially an introduction to devils and how they work - and it's all done either visually or through loving song. gently caress this comic is so goddamn good.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ah, but the reverse is also true. Cio's husband brought her back just by piecing her mask back together. I'd wager if you put Vladok's original mask back together, you get something closer to Vladok than Princess. But instead Alison took a fresh mask and made something new.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, the black flame isn't pure chaos, there is indeed a consciousness within it the persists regardless of the mask. The mask helps solidify it and is probably a part of determining a demon's personality, but if you put two identical masks on two different black flames you would not get identical demons. You probably wouldn't even get similar demons.

quote:

Nah, I don't agree. They're exact opposites. Devils ARE their masks, and the chaos is just the body that forms around that personality. Angels are beings that can be in ANY shell, and are unchanged by whichever one they're in.

If angels can be in any shell then the needles that banished White Chain would be worthless. She could have just searched for another vessel instead of sulking in the Void. And further the Thorn Knights wouldn't have any reason to change their shells. It's not a coincidence that 6 Juggs looks hella thorny.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Glagha posted:

Is this not the case? To my knowledge the alt texts said they made masks and gave names. The manner in which either happened was never explained.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Who What Now posted:

Princess thinks she's Vladok, therefore she's Vladok. Identity seems to be more a matter of "ehh, close enough" to formless chaos monsters whose life cycle involves revolving through multiple totally different bodies and personalities

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, the black flame isn't pure chaos, there is indeed a consciousness within it the persists regardless of the mask. The mask helps solidify it and is probably a part of determining a demon's personality, but if you put two identical masks on two different black flames you would not get identical demons. You probably wouldn't even get similar demons.

That's exactly what happened with Cio, though...? Her husband reassembled her mask, not the exact flame.

Who What Now posted:

If angels can be in any shell then the needles that banished White Chain would be worthless. She could have just searched for another vessel instead of sulking in the Void. And further the Thorn Knights wouldn't have any reason to change their shells. It's not a coincidence that 6 Juggs looks hella thorny.

They can't randomly choose to randomly inhabit anything, though, they have to be armor specially made for them. There's no example yet of an angel possessing armor (or anything else) not made for them. They couldn't even do it until humans created the armor, just like devils and masks.

As for the Thorn Knights and Petal Knights, they likely changed their shells to suit their personality, not the other way around. Remember when White Chain was offered a thorn armor?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So either allison accidentally gets her headspace perforated like those weird slave.. doll... things we saw at the court of evil, or Cio underestimates just how strong the key is and explodes.

Alternatively this is close to the same as Cio gaining the key the normal way. In which case we could be getting another bout of good ol Yabbie. Now souped up on turbo royal furious dumbassery.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

It's great but the lyrics need a bit of adjustment to fit it to a meter. Either that or I was just too drunk last time I tried to sing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's exactly what happened with Cio, though...? Her husband reassembled her mask, not the exact flame.

We have no idea whether it's the same flame in Cio's mask, though. Vladoks flame being in a new mask still produced something that was in some part Vladok. Obviously it's not just the mask that makes a demon.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They can't randomly choose to randomly inhabit anything, though, they have to be armor specially made for them. There's no example yet of an angel possessing armor (or anything else) not made for them. They couldn't even do it until humans created the armor, just like devils and masks.

As for the Thorn Knights and Petal Knights, they likely changed their shells to suit their personality, not the other way around. Remember when White Chain was offered a thorn armor?

I mean, if specific flames require specific vessels, then it stands to reason that the flame matters just as much as the vessel.

The cold white and the hot black flames might be opposites, but they are also identical, because they are both YISUN, who is a paradox and a liar.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 13, 2019