Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hellioning posted:

Edelgard's thirst for Byleth is uncomfortable and strange, especially in non-CF routes.

Like come on. Go date Hubert or something and leave Byleth alone.
edelgard gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Endorph posted:

edelgard gay

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

edelgard gay

then she should date dorothea tbh

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

then she should date dorothea tbh

no

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Edelgard is simultaneously very gay but also bylethsexual, so she can have an S support with a male Byleth but it gives off a really weird vibe.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bi people exist.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sydin posted:

male Byleth

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The mechanics of this series mean that characters will always be bi at most and we won't see any exclusively gay characters. Edelgard is massively obsessed with Byleth, even more so femByleth so it's very easy and fun to read her as a lesbian and only bi for game mechanics. Meanwhile Dorothea is very much bi just within the text of the game ignoring game mechanics. In this way I choose to see El as a lesbian and you can't take that from me. :colbert:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Bi people exist.

what does that have to do with Edelgard

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

The mechanics of this series mean that characters will always be bi at most and we won't see any exclusively gay characters

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

STOP RUINING MY REASONING!

Also I mostly mean after we got avatars and went full on dating sim.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thats why we should kill avatars forever

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

thats why we should kill avatars forever

What if we made all the avatars lesbians though?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

avatars are bad and force awkward writing decisions and make people not realize that non-avatar content exists, even when theyre gay

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

avatars are bad and force awkward writing decisions and make people not realize that non-avatar content exists, even when theyre gay

but but Edeleth... :ohdear:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Eimi posted:

What if we made all the avatars lesbians though?

gotta rep the bis,

but also, avatars suck even when gay and that character slot could instead be filled with a gay not avatar

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Eimi posted:

but but Edeleth... :ohdear:

imagine

byleth

with a personality

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

imagine

byleth

with a personality

so not byleth at all?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Junpei Hyde posted:

imagine

byleth

with a personality

:monocle:

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Andrast posted:

so not byleth at all?

i like the design and the voice so we can keep that

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

They really need to have lesbian and gay characters who can date the avatar in addition to bi or straight characters. And they also need characters who aren't interested in the avatar at all. Having an avatar is not a good excuse for making everyone either straight or bi.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Endorph posted:

edelgard gay

so what

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Eimi posted:

The mechanics of this series mean that characters will always be bi at most and we won't see any exclusively gay characters.

this isn’t true at all tho? if they can put in characters that are off-limits for dating the same sex like they do, then they can also put in characters that are off-limits for dating the opposite sex, there’s nothing stopping them

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Genovera posted:

They really need to have lesbian and gay characters who can date the avatar in addition to bi or straight characters. And they also need characters who aren't interested in the avatar at all. Having an avatar is not a good excuse for making everyone either straight or bi.

This really. The avatar shouldn't get to date everyone. And as a lesbian we already deal with this, let the straights get a taste!

Junpei Hyde posted:

imagine

byleth

with a personality

I really like Byleth how she is though. Like the game uses that she's a silent protag to the hilt, and I really like how she's a weirdo learning how to human. It's as relatable as Bernie and Marianne are to me. I really enjoy those kind of awkward protagonists. And I mean they could've written her more, but when I think about Byleth I don't find her lacking personally.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if byleth wasnt an avatar they could have that exact personality but there could be writing adjustments/allowances for certain things

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Would this proposed non avatar game allow you to pick the gender of your protag because honestly that's the most important thing to me. I do not like playing games where I cannot play as a woman.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Byleth could have been better with a personality, like Robin in Awakening, but without the personality of "she's just real fuckin' weird, y'all," we would never have lines like this.

e:

Eimi posted:

Would this proposed non avatar game allow you to pick the gender of your protag because honestly that's the most important thing to me. I do not like playing games where I cannot play as a woman.
yeah same
couldn't get into Witcher 3 for that reason

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eimi posted:

Since you wouldn't have a character no, I wouldn't think so

(not that Byleth has character heyooooo)

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Bring back fire emblem where there is no player stand-in protagonist. Just the Lord(s) and their band of chucklefucks.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

i mean, they could totally do "pick gender of main character with personality" I guess

or just like

have a woman protagonist

you can do that

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Junpei Hyde posted:

have a woman protagonist

you can do that

Well obviously but that's not really answering the hypothetical presented

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

:yeah:

The closest the whole MC avatar thing got to being fine was in Blazing Sword where they were a silent mute tactician who was punted to the side for the real characters pretty quickly. But then IntSys had to go back and even ruin that retroactively by having Lyn obsess over the player in all her subsequent appearances as if they're the FE7 tactician.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Eimi posted:

Does it make a difference how in Fire Emblem the player perspective is pretty far removed from the protagonist most of the time when they don't do the avatar thing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Does it make a difference how in Fire Emblem the player perspective is pretty far removed from the protagonist most of the time when they don't do the avatar thing.

Not really, I like identifying with the main character and even in the older games it never feels like I'm a distant third character like the commander in Xcom. Like in say Sacred Stones I see myself as Eirika rather than some other character, or not a character. :shrug:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

At the very least give avatars full voice acting. Having Byleth's half of the conversation be silent sucks and makes every scene where they talk significantly worse.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hellioning posted:

At the very least give avatars full voice acting. Having Byleth's half of the conversation be silent sucks and makes every scene where they talk significantly worse.

I'd be for that, especially with their limited dialogue options to begin with. Or alternatively if you want them to be silent, go full on early crpg and give them a ton of written dialogue to choose between and say.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah there was really no reason for Byleth to be a silent protagonist. Everybody else is fully voice acted and Robin/Corrin were also avatar characters who got tons of dialogue in their games. I get that there's a plot point that Byleth is basically a zombie until Sothis starts waking up, but if anything that could have been driven home even harder by having Byleth barely speak at all at the start of the game, and then by lateish Part 1 be talking normally and often.

Basileus777
Jun 13, 2013

Eimi posted:

The mechanics of this series mean that characters will always be bi at most and we won't see any exclusively gay characters. Edelgard is massively obsessed with Byleth, even more so femByleth so it's very easy and fun to read her as a lesbian and only bi for game mechanics. Meanwhile Dorothea is very much bi just within the text of the game ignoring game mechanics. In this way I choose to see El as a lesbian and you can't take that from me. :colbert:

Even more so femByleth? Edelgard treats Byleth identical no matter the gender.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
The right way to do it would been to follow Mass Effect's example.

The Silent protag is a JRPG staple though. It's normally fine in games like Dragon Quest or even Persona but it doesn't work for a serious political story where your character is supposed to a major political leader. I'm not sure even with a great writer a silent protagonist could work for a game like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Basileus777 posted:

Even more so femByleth? Edelgard treats Byleth identical no matter the gender.

One of the big things is after Byleth collapses she makes it a point to carry femByleth while Hubert carries Boyleth.