Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

jonathan posted:

Unrelated: I giggle anytime I read or hear someone say touristenfahrten

In ETS2, all roads lead to Ausfahrt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is the Thrustmaster th8a a good shifter ? I have the t500rs wheel.
Trying to decide between sequential or H pattern.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes the th8a is a very good shifter. Also I believe they all do both sequential and manual mode

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I think the TH8A has a swappable gate to switch between H-pattern and sequential.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

njsykora posted:

Yeah I think the TH8A has a swappable gate to switch between H-pattern and sequential.

And switch it to analog mode to use it as a handbrake.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

jonathan posted:

Is the Thrustmaster th8a a good shifter ? I have the t500rs wheel.
Trying to decide between sequential or H pattern.

I have one and like it a lot.
There are also custom gates available if you want to make it a 4, 5, or 6 speed.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I recently dragged my Logitech G27 out of the cupboard where it's been gathering dust, and have been having some fun with it again. Unfortunately while I own a few newer racing games they were all ones I played with an Xbox controller, i.e. not very sim-y, and the wheel doesn't feel worth using. In particular the force feedback seems very underwhelming, though trying with my old games the wheel itself is fine.

Do any modern sims have decent singleplayer 'career' modes? I don't really have the time or interest for online racing or setting up my own challenges, so something a little more structured would be nice.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

uvar posted:

I recently dragged my Logitech G27 out of the cupboard where it's been gathering dust, and have been having some fun with it again. Unfortunately while I own a few newer racing games they were all ones I played with an Xbox controller, i.e. not very sim-y, and the wheel doesn't feel worth using. In particular the force feedback seems very underwhelming, though trying with my old games the wheel itself is fine.

Do any modern sims have decent singleplayer 'career' modes? I don't really have the time or interest for online racing or setting up my own challenges, so something a little more structured would be nice.

If you want VR I think PCars 2 is probably your best bet for AI racing, and has some decent career tracks. If not then either PCars2 or Forza?

The Codemasters F1 games have a pretty darn detailed campaign but only if you really like F1 and also don't support VR.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
PCars2 yeah. It's the most "video game" of the sim racer crop, and I mean that in a good way. Gamey career poo poo is fun!

There's also Dirt Rally, if you're into rally. Rally is a loving blast in VR.

For other poo poo to gently caress around with:

It doesn't have a nice career mode, but RaceRoom Racing Experience has VR support, good AI, and runs well.

There's also Live For Speed, which has the benefit of being an older game, thus it runs well in VR and you can crank up the supersampling to make it look nice and clean. No fancy career mode, but it has a fun driving school with challenges/medals, similar to the Gran Turismo license tests, if you were into those.

Both are free-to-play (demos, basically) so no harm in messing with either.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did they ever fix the PCars2 AI? I remember when it came out, the AI cars would all just pile up at the start. I never ended up buying it because I only wanted it for a fun career.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Thanks for the suggestions. Man, I didn't even think about using it in VR!

Edit: 10 hours left on 75% off for Project Cars 2, even better

uvar fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 12, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

uvar posted:

Man, I didn't even think about using it in VR!

Oh man, if you have a feedback wheel and an HMD you have got to get on that asap.

Racing sims are like easily one of the best applications of VR right now.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh man, if you have a feedback wheel and an HMD you have got to get on that asap.

Racing sims are like easily one of the best applications of VR right now.

Racing sims and Beat Saber are all I use mine for. Everything else I've tried feels like a bad tech demo.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Mr. Powers posted:

Racing sims and Beat Saber are all I use mine for. Everything else I've tried feels like a bad tech demo.

Flight sims and Elite Dangerous are okay too. Though you might need a Rift S/Vive Pro in order to have a decent enough display resolution to enjoy flight sims, and you might need a keen interest in big balls of rock/fire/farts in order to enjoy Elite Dangerous.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
sim racing in VR is the most immersive and best thing in VR currently because the tactile feedback from FFB and that you're seeing your arms working just like they should be makes it the most complete sensory input out of any scenario.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Helicopter sims are also amazing in VR, for a similar reason as driving sims: the 3D projection makes it easy to "feel" the movement of your vehicle as you gently caress with various controls. For vehicles, that's the dipping and lifting of the frame as your brake and accelerate (which really helped me "get" the idea of using pedals to manipulate your steering) and the start of a spin. For helicopters, that's the "tilt" as you move the cyclic, especially when hovering.

Not that these are impossible to process in 2D, but man, it really clicks for me in 3D.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jonathan posted:

sim racing in VR is the most immersive and best thing in VR currently because the tactile feedback from FFB and that you're seeing your arms working just like they should be makes it the most complete sensory input out of any scenario.

Also it creates and environment where you can move around really fast in an exciting way and change directions fast, but you also feel totally comfortable with zero motion sickness, because we're all totally used to sitting in cars and feeling like you're suddenly moving one way or another while your brain thinks you're just sitting still.

Combined with yeah, interacting with things physically feels way better than grabbing onto holograms with no feedback. But nobody has like, a giant sword-fighting servo robot rig in their homes. Racing rigs though are totally a thing and are affordable and common, and provide a perfect force feedback and also just the physical shape and feel of a steering wheel, so what you see in VR you feel too, it all matches, and the experience is complete.

Even in really good VR games like Job Simulator you're still aware that the objects you're "picking up" have zero weight and you can't feel them.

The only time I've ever gotten motion sickness from a racing game was Driveclub on PSVR which I think just had poo poo frame rates or horrible latency or something.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I get so motion sick if I'm doing Minecraft or zero Caliber where there's not a teleport move option. Teleporting doesn't gently caress with the brain but walking totally makes me get queazy in about 15 min because my brain is like "hey dopus you're moving but also not".

I have not had this issue in my many hours of iracing. Driving in vr rules. You can look through turns, you can check your sides etc. It's p nice. It just gets hot as gently caress during races when there good action...

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
I got pretty bad motion sickness when I started simracing in VR, but I've grown used to it now. Generally, the older you are, the more you're likely to get motion sickness. My nephew (21) has never had a problem, I (48) had to get used to it, and my stepfather (79) was dizzy and nauseous for several hours even though he only tried driving for five minutes!

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
I have an Oculus DK2 sitting in a closet ever since I got the Vive way back. Can the DK2 be used for anything these days? I hate just tossing a thing out and would rather donate it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

osker posted:

I have an Oculus DK2 sitting in a closet ever since I got the Vive way back. Can the DK2 be used for anything these days? I hate just tossing a thing out and would rather donate it.

Definitely not most VR, since there's no input and input is actually probably a bigger part of most VR than the HMD.

But for sim racing, maybe. You'd have to do some hacky stuff but I bet you could get iRacing to render to a DK2 if you really really tried. There may be issues though since its not supported officially anymore and the resolution wouldn't be as good anyways. But anybody serious about VR sim racing probably already owns a VIVE or Index.

I also have a DK2 (and a DK1 lol) sitting in my closet. I'm keeping them as museum pieces like my virtual boy, but I can appreciate wanting to find some use for it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VR racing has ruined me. I normally do iracing and have for about the last year. Before that I was 100% GT Sport in 2D (I dont have PSVR).

I fired up GT Sport the other night just to check in on it and try Spa and................I'm just horrible now. I blow all the corners, I cant judge my speed well, my braking points are all over the place, I have a hard time anticipating upcoming corners on tracks I dont know by heart, its all just bad now.

I know the driving models are different, and that takes some getting used to, but after two solid nights of trying, I'm going back to iracing full time.

I think 2D sim driving might be dead to me

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think 2D sim driving might be dead to me

Its like going from racing in 3rd person camera to racing in first person with a wheel. Once you make the bump, its real hard to go back and find the old way satisfying.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I was unsatisfied with the non-racing VR software a few months back because there’s like, nothing good out for it so I sold my headset and got a big ultrawide monitor and I’m really not missing VR very much. The image clarity makes up for not being able to look left or right.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For me the big draw of VR is the depth perception. I'll take the depth and really being "in the car" any day over the enhanced clarity of a monitor. To each their own I guess

If you have a beefy rig you can supersample your sims for added clarity. I run iracing at like 125% on a 1080ti and its pretty sharp.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GutBomb posted:

I was unsatisfied with the non-racing VR software a few months back because there’s like, nothing good out for it so I sold my headset and got a big ultrawide monitor and I’m really not missing VR very much. The image clarity makes up for not being able to look left or right.

You're missing out then though. I was disappointed with non-racing VR software a couple years back, but I got back into VR this year and there's so many good and incredible VR games now.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for the info on that shifter. I have it ordered on Prime and should be here in a couple days. My real life Ice Racing league got cancelled which im pretty choked about after prepping the car. I guess there wasnt enough entries to justify having my class so they dropped it, they're keeping motorcycle and atv though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Love the concept of the th8a but I hate that it always gets scalped on amazon for like $150

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Zaphod42 posted:

You're missing out then though. I was disappointed with non-racing VR software a couple years back, but I got back into VR this year and there's so many good and incredible VR games now.

I just sold my headset in August so I’m not sure what has come out since then that would change my mind but there wasn’t anything out with any depth. Beat Saber didn’t interest me, fallout 4 and skyrim were flawed at best, and everything else feels like tech demos. In the VR thread whenever anyone would ask which games were good everything is from 2017 aside from beat saber and blade & sorcery with nothing decent looking on the horizon. The few attempts by AAA devs fell flat because they were poo poo afterthought games like wolfenstein cyberpilot.

I got my original rift when they dropped the price to $400 so I had it for a while and then got the Rift S when it came out so I definitely gave VR a chance but with no good games it just got old. I’m enjoying games in general on my ultrawide monitor way more than VR and using that monitor for racing is good enough for me.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Love the concept of the th8a but I hate that it always gets scalped on amazon for like $150

Scalped? That’s the MSRP.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 13, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh? I thought msrp was like 80. I guess I’m not mad then

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For me the big draw of VR is the depth perception. I'll take the depth and really being "in the car" any day over the enhanced clarity of a monitor. To each their own I guess

If you have a beefy rig you can supersample your sims for added clarity. I run iracing at like 125% on a 1080ti and its pretty sharp.

This, at places like Daytona (in indy or nascar) it's really nice to be able to see the end of your hood and know where it is instead of it beign a flat thing. Some tracks / races it doesn't matter.. but *my imersion*

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Project Cars 2 career stuff is pretty much what I was looking for, which is great! But (1) I forgot how noisy force feedback gets, at least with this wheel, and (2) I upgraded from a wood desk to tempered glass and I know theoretically how strong it is but I'm genuinely concerned it'll shatter. I might have to find an old book or bit of plywood to spread out the force a little and soothe my paranoia.

I haven't tried VR yet, that'll wait until I figure out what buttons do what.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Pcars 2 in VR is a treat. Yeah I’d spread the load on that table. The clamping forces plus twisting forces might be too much

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oh? I thought msrp was like 80. I guess I’m not mad then

The logitech version is pretty cheap but it's only 6 speed, and many vehicles now are 7 +
My pickup truck is a 10 speed
Also Logitech's software is kind of bloated and I was glad to uninstall it when I unhooked the old DFGT wheel

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
There's very few 7+ speed H-pattern manuals out there anyway. I think the only one in pcars is the Corvette.

(Range-splitter heavy truck gearboxes notwithstanding, those typically only require a 4-6 speed pattern and a couple switches)

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

What's the consensus on the Fanatec shifter? I like the look of it and the fact that it'll just plug straight into my CSL. I also like the look of the Thrustmaster but after dealing with 4 dead T300s in a year, I'm pretty sure the Mrs. would raise an eyebrow at me letting that particular logo back in the house.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

TremorX posted:

What's the consensus on the Fanatec shifter? I like the look of it and the fact that it'll just plug straight into my CSL. I also like the look of the Thrustmaster but after dealing with 4 dead T300s in a year, I'm pretty sure the Mrs. would raise an eyebrow at me letting that particular logo back in the house.

I have the club sport shifter, the ability to go from H to Seq with the flip of a switch is the poo poo. It is built really well and worth it if you have a sturdy thing to mount it to

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TremorX posted:

Yeah I'm with osker, the ability to flip between sequential and H-shifter at a literal flip of switch, no swapping necessary, and you don't have to have 2 shifters next to each other, its great.

Also it feels like its made out of lead and steel (it is) and so appropriately solid, sturdy, and high quality.

Its expensive but you definitely get what you pay for. Bonus, it has a pretty standard threading, so I pulled off the default shifter knob and got an exact copy of my car's shifter from a junkyard and put it on there. Feels great.

But yeah its big and heavy so make sure you can mount it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I also like the fanatec shifter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TremorX posted:

Sup dead t300 Buddy.

My t3pa pros have outlasted 2 T300 bases. As has my th8a.

I feel like TM just can't build a wheel that doesn't poo poo itself.