Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Call for an uber and demand a complementary Mr. Coffee machine or else no 5 star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Schadenboner posted:

From a cooling perspective, is it better to add the water/milk/cream before or after the pour?

laws of thermodynamics; heat transfer will be the same either way, with the exception of the milk or cream getting warmer after pouring it first. so maybe pouring it afterwards will make your coffee colder, but there's virtually no difference

ok just pour it after

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Good Sphere posted:

laws of thermodynamics; heat transfer will be the same either way, with the exception of the milk or cream getting warmer after pouring it first. so maybe pouring it afterwards will make your coffee colder, but there's virtually no difference

ok just pour it after

if you're going to put stuff in coffee, you should do it last, so you can watch the cool swirling

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
got some more coffee.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

prefect posted:

if you're going to put stuff in coffee, you should do it last, so you can watch the cool swirling

use the shade of tan to measure how much milk you’ve added so far

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Good Sphere posted:

ok just pour it after

the old English tea debates covered this as well, and in practice the big argument was: the poors have lovely cups so they pour the milk first to avoid too strong of a thermal shock with hot tea that would crack the ceramic or porcelain or whatever material, and the rich can just go hog wild with their quality material and pour the milk last.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DiggityDoink posted:

I’m on day 9 of drinking instant coffee because I’m living out of a motel. I have to wake up at 3:30am and the motel doesn’t make coffee until 6. there’s also nowhere within walking distance that sells it before 530.

I’m going to kill someone if this goes on for much longer

Lol, owned.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
ive never been in a motel so crappy that they didnt even have a coffee machine in the room, and i've been in some insanely crappy motels in my time

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
neither had I before this. I’m down in San Bernardino for truck driving school and it’s the shittiest motel I’ve ever seen. there are broken down cars in the lot, only 1 working outlet in the room other than the ones the tv and fridge plug into, rats in some of the rooms and about 5 hookers who are here with the approval of the manager.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
yeah i'm at panther

DiggityDoink posted:

neither had I before this. I’m down in San Bernardino for truck driving school and it’s the shittiest motel I’ve ever seen. there are broken down cars in the lot, only 1 working outlet in the room other than the ones the tv and fridge plug into, rats in some of the rooms and about 5 hookers who are here with the approval of the manager.

oof that's the kind of place i've only heard about in a voodoo glow skulls song

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

DiggityDoink posted:

I mean, welcome to the exciting and glamorous world of OTR truck driving?

:shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Good Sphere posted:

ok just pour it after

I was also thinking that putting cold where the temperature gradient is greatest (the top of the stack of liquid since heat rises?) might get a faster cooling effect?

:shrug:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DiggityDoink posted:

as someone who grew up in southern California this checks out, san bernardino is one of the most wretched drivethrough towns in existence

goondolences

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I'd seriouspost about just ordering a coffemaker delivered from amazon or walmart, but sounds like the chances of you actually getting the package vs it being stolen at the front desk are uh...not good?

Have you considered theft yourself? See if the motel's machine is bolted down or not, take it back to your room.

"We had this when we checked in, how dare you"

edit: also drinking instant, ordered drip machine arriving tomorrow

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

MononcQc posted:

the old English tea debates covered this as well, and in practice the big argument was: the poors have lovely cups so they pour the milk first to avoid too strong of a thermal shock with hot tea that would crack the ceramic or porcelain or whatever material, and the rich can just go hog wild with their quality material and pour the milk last.

so that's why. well i guess it's not an excuse anymore

i guess i can see pouring in cream first could help with measuring purposes, but you could also observe the height offset of the coffee after you pour the cream

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/atlasobscura/status/1195032414529212422

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

finally, i have something substantial to call someone that drinks decaf, and has actual truth to it

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
wearing my 'death before decaf' socks today

about to go get some Good Spro after some Mediocre Spro yesterday

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I had a second coffee today

psiox posted:

about to go get some Good Spro after some Mediocre Spro yesterday

where’d you end up going yesterday?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I had a second coffee today

where’d you end up going yesterday?

pret a manger because there didn't appear to be much else in the part of the west village i was in- not within walking distance between my hotel and where i was interviewing, anyway. it was Fine! the breakfast sandwich was super good, too

but hompf I think I will also be getting a Second Coffee soon

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

psiox posted:

pret a manger because there didn't appear to be much else in the part of the west village i was in- not within walking distance between my hotel and where i was interviewing, anyway. it was Fine! the breakfast sandwich was super good, too

but hompf I think I will also be getting a Second Coffee soon

last time I was in the garment district we hit “culture 36” https://maps.apple.com/?address=247...mmAx/UsA%3D&t=m

e: this place

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I am going to have another sip of that

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
https://twitter.com/Russia_NC/status/1191710882872606722

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

lmao

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

:eyepop:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
hav#ing a little coffee

i let my 'spro sidecar sit and it got a little cold and now i can get distinct tomato-y notes out of it

coffee is so neat

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

psiox posted:

i let my 'spro sidecar sit and it got a little cold and now i can get distinct tomato-y notes out of it

hmmm not a fan of tomato taste in espresso. it joins my banned flavor list:

espresso that tastes like tomato
wiskey that tastes like peanut butter
beer that tastes like bananas

HOWEVER

psiox posted:

coffee is so neat

your drat right

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

lord funk posted:

beer that tastes like bananas

yeah i mistakenly purchased a banana bread flavored beer one time, that poo poo was foul.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DiggityDoink posted:

yeah i mistakenly purchased a banana bread flavored beer one time, that poo poo was foul.

nah there’s something in some wheat beers that evokes bananas, just like lots of coffee–flavored coffees evoke other fruit or food tastes

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
belgian yeast makes beer taste too bananas for some people too

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

nah there’s something in some wheat beers that evokes bananas, just like lots of coffee–flavored coffees evoke other fruit or food tastes

ah yeah I know what you mean now. that’s probably why I’m not a huge fan of wheat beers. I do like Belgian ales though and I’ve never gotten a banana flavor from one

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

ahhahaha lmao

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
forgot to post yesterday but after 12 days of drinking nothing but instant garbage I finally had a cuppa real stuff and some ‘spro. it was magical

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
drinkin' that office sludge

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cocoa Crispies posted:

it's isoamyl acetate aka "banana oil," a byproduct of fermentation

RustyKnight
Jul 11, 2016

every day is a new horror

turned my camera bag into coffee bag, because america is busy with turkey day we are pretty much doing nothing in the office with only 2 hours of actually being on calls so I will make aeropress cofu for everybody.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
cold coffee and cold pizza today

a good start tbh

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/RussianMemesLtd/status/1200308913406648320

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

had a free coffee today because there was a mistake in another order at my regular coffee house and I happened to be at the counter then, made a nice addition to my morning coffee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

Agile Vector posted:

had a free coffee today because there was a mistake in another order at my regular coffee house and I happened to be at the counter then, made a nice addition to my morning coffee

living the dream