Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
That's the spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Phanatic posted:

That's the spirits.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

See if you can get Pusser's gunpowder proof rum too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Missing Name posted:

See if you can get Pusser's gunpowder proof rum too.

It's surprisingly hard to find at retailers here. My local tiki bar has it, but I never see it on the shelf at the liquor stores.

The big difference between Pusser's and Smith & Cross is that Pusser's is the recent blend used as of Black Tot Day in 1970, while Smith & Cross doesn't imitate any specific recipe but is made to the proof and hogo-heavy recipes common in 18th century Jamaican rum.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Sorry, I'm just thinking this ends in some kind of Sunday day-drinking GWS discord at some point.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Archaeology conferences will literally drink all the bars in and around the hotel/conference center dry.

This has happened more than once and is something of a point of pride.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 13, 2019

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Yeah, gunpowder proof often has to be custom ordered. I put in for a case, let's see if it arrives before July.

Telsa Cola posted:

Archaeology conferences will literally drink all the bars in and around the hotel/confrence center dry.

It belongs in a museum my liver

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Telsa Cola posted:

Archaeology conferences will literally drink all the bars in and around the hotel/conference center dry.

Linguistics, but same.

We did it in Manhattan once which I'm still impressed by.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
These are my options

Thinking of getting the cheaper one

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well, I've had the J Wray. Not sure what to tell you; I've used a bit of it to preserve fruit syrups, and I've used it to strengthen infused liqueurs. For such a strong rum, it tastes surprisingly little like kerosene, but I'm not drinking it on the rocks or anything.

That price is high. Virginia ABC has high prices, but they sell it for $27 USD (which is still a few CAD less than that).

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 13, 2019

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Welcome to Canadian liquor store monopolies.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I'm drinking those Belorussians under the table. drat.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
And remember, not every country has an absolute iron grip on internal control of alcohol sales.

Belarus for instance: https://belarusdigest.com/story/belarusian-samahon-folk-tradition-or-health-hazard-belarus-photo-digest/

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Xiahou Dun posted:

Linguistics, but same.

We did it in Manhattan once which I'm still impressed by.

I'll tell you where you can shove your goddamn prescriptivism

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Xiahou Dun posted:

Sorry, I'm just thinking this ends in some kind of Sunday day-drinking GWS discord at some point.

I'd be tempted to join this if it happens. Though I mostly post in the industry thread.

Telsa Cola posted:

There is a bartending conference in New Orleans every year called Tales of the Cocktail. I imagine that is a very, very good time to be a bartender - either working or as an attendee.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

uber_stoat posted:

I'm drinking those Belorussians under the table. drat.

I knew a guy in college who was from Belarus. He went home on spring break, and told us that he had a night of drinking where the first thing he remembered is waking up in the morning covered in blood. The bathroom sink was shattered and his mother was just saying “not my son, not my son” to him over and over.

I can handle my booze but I’m pretty sure there’s no way to actually out drink a Belorussian.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I knew a guy in college who was from Belarus. He went home on spring break, and told us that he had a night of drinking where the first thing he remembered is waking up in the morning covered in blood. The bathroom sink was shattered and his mother was just saying “not my son, not my son” to him over and over.

I can handle my booze but I’m pretty sure there’s no way to actually out drink a Belorussian.

:stare:

Jesus gently caress.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't have an onion bake to do, but I do have a project I'm going to do this weekend or next: drinking the Royal Navy grog ration.

I just finished Feeding Nelson's Navy last week, which is a good book when the author can directly quote journals and regulations or tried something mentioned herself. Unfortunately, she's not quite as good when it comes to alcohol. After describing how we "have no way of knowing how strong their rum was" (when in fact they had quite rigorous standards by 1816 and less accurate tests before!) and that it was "4 times stronger than modern Navy rum" (which would put it, at a minimum, 160% alcohol by volume), she claimed that Royal Navy sailors must have spent most of their day in some state of drunkenness from their half-pit rum ration per day.

I'd like to put that to the test! I have a Townsends tin pint mug coming, and I know where to get Smith & Cross Traditional Jamaican Rum. This is a funky 57% ABV rum meant to imitate the higher quality Jamaican rums of the time. Using the standard 4:1 ratio, I'm going to make myself some grog! The rum ration was issued twice per day, once before noon and once before the evening meal, and a British pint is 20 oz. This gives me 10 oz. of Navy strength rum to drink during the day. Information is spotty about whether they actually downed 5 ounces of rum in one sitting, but I might split up my test to do it twice. First by drinking 5 ounces of rum in the form of grog twice a day, then by doing 5 servings of 2 oz. each in the form of half-pint drinks so I have another mug every 2 or 3 hours.

I expect to be able to more accurately quantify how plastered you spend the working day this way!

Just remember that despite the amount they drank, actually displaying drunkenness was a flogging offence.

This reminds me of the "Drink like a Colonial American" experiment that some blogger did: http://www.fourpoundsflour.com/drink-like-a-colonial-american-day/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Notahippie posted:

Just remember that despite the amount they drank, actually displaying drunkenness was a flogging offence.

This reminds me of the "Drink like a Colonial American" experiment that some blogger did: http://www.fourpoundsflour.com/drink-like-a-colonial-american-day/

She seems to have an unusual sensitivity to alcohol if 5 drinks before noon leads to her being so crippled by the evening.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
If you're a teetotaler with low body weight, it hits hard.

Also her time scale is compressed. No colonial American is having a leisurely breakfast at 930am.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 15, 2019

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Right. Work began at sunup or a little before. 930 is almost lunchtime.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

chitoryu12 posted:

She seems to have an unusual sensitivity to alcohol if 5 drinks before noon leads to her being so crippled by the evening.

I know I'd probably be hosed and very iratable if I day drank like that. In my 20s, I had a crazy tolerance, but now into my 30s that's fallen off of a cliff. 3-4 is my limit.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Also a stiff drink is probably the only thing that could get me out of bed at sunup

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
Apparently somebody else with higher tolerance did it also and concluded that being slightly drunk all day was awesome and made boring drudgery like most of a Colonial's day entertaining

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/drinking-in-colonial-america

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When I was building houses in the summer, I was a lot more amenable to getting up as early as possible so I could end work after the hottest part of the day. And if you have to mow your lawn without podcasts and weed, I guess rum is probably the next best thing.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

When I was building houses in the summer, I was a lot more amenable to getting up as early as possible so I could end work after the hottest part of the day. And if you have to mow your lawn without podcasts and weed, I guess rum is probably the next best thing.

Porque no los tres?

I have been cutting my parents' firewood for the last like 20 years since I was old enough to hold an axe without cutting off my foot, and it's always in the absolute hottest part of the Summer so I get up at like 5AM to have had some coffee by the time it's light enough to see by.

And I can tell you there is nothing sweeter than having like a cider or a beer shandy by around 10:30 after hours of swinging an axe and holding a chainsaw for several hours. Every Summer I can see who in the neighborhood is cool because half of them look at me like I'm some kind disgusting monster, and the other half are clearly thinking "O this guy has a layer of sweat and sawdust all over him and there's a cord of fresh firewood sitting there ; these are probably related and the dude earned it".

Screw you Kathy from down the street, yeah I'm gonna have a mild alcoholic beverage and sit on the porch for a bit. We don't all just buy pre-cut firewood. (I'm not bitter. What are you saying.)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I think Americans are just weird about alcohol. Here in Australia if you wander through a CBD at lunchtime on a weekday you’ll see every pub/restaurant/cafe packed to the brim with office workers having a beer or a glass of wine with their lunch. It’s also entirely normal to have an alcoholic drink at a weekend brunch.

Nobody would give a gently caress about you sitting on your porch or whatever at 10:30 having a drink. Granted you wouldn't be chopping firewood here, but you can sub in some other labour intensive garden activity.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 17, 2019

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I imagine its tied up with the whole workday concept.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

I imagine its tied up with the whole workday concept.

Except in Australia it’s completely acceptable to drink alcohol during a workday, at least for an office job.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Except in Australia it’s completely acceptable to drink alcohol during a workday, at least for an office job.

Yeah sorry that was a late rear end post and I should have expanded more. I agree with you that Americans are weird about alcohol because I think drinking its viewed as a fun, your time activity which you are not allowed to do on company time/breaks because it would interfere with profits or whatever.

My work doesn't give a poo poo though and we tend to have six packs or bottles of wine in the fridge so who knows.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 17, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The US has a long temperance history due to both a severe alcoholism problem in the 19th century and strong evangelical religious influence for much of its existence. This is also how we got a drinking age of 21 and stigmatized letting teens have alcohol even under parental supervision.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The strong aversion to day drinking/work drinking is definitely much much more recent, though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Your neighbors might be glaring at you because you were running a chainsaw at 6 AM

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Your neighbors might be glaring at you because you were running a chainsaw at 6 AM

You might be on to something there.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I tried the recipe To make fine Cakes from the Boke of Gode Cookery and they turned out reasonably well. I substituted 1/2 tsp baking powder in place of the 1/2 tsp baker's ammonia/hartshorn and I think that worked fine. The "cakes" are interesting, somewhere between a sugar cookie and a scone in texture. The rosewater seems to be mostly in the aroma, while the flavor comes from the mace and clove. They're much lower in sugar and butter than a modern cookie.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Those look great.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

O I hold off on using that until later in the day, since I'm not a monster and the axe/splitting maul parts are the bits that suck the most in the heat. Like I try for nothing earlier than 9AM on a weekday. Also this is pretty rural so our neighbors are pretty far away. Plus the the ones glaring don't give a poo poo about mowing a lawn at 7AM on a Saturday so I have minimal pity.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

hailthefish posted:

The strong aversion to day drinking/work drinking is definitely much much more recent, though.

Its seen as fine in white collar jobs. Used to be even more so in the 50s and 60s.

Day drinking in a blue collar environment leads to injuries and liability, so is cracked down on as hard as they can while still having a pool to hire from.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
In the south in the US people sometimes get fired for having a drink at lunch even in office environments--this varies tremendously by employer of course and is more to do with Evangelical/Baptist religious ideas than any business related case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Liquid Communism posted:

Day drinking in a blue collar environment leads to injuries and liability, so is cracked down on as hard as they can while still having a pool to hire from.

You would be amazed how hosed up some construction workers get during the day. My high scorer hit .24 by lunchtime.