Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Funk dancing for :neet:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Nep-Nep posted:

Funk dancing for :neet:

:perfect:

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Steak, have you considered reaching out to the original author of the comic? I'm sure they would be thrilled to see a completely different audience appreciate the hard work (not to discount your own work).

They may also ask him to stop.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hot Stunt posted:

It'd be an eternal standoff waiting for the first one to respond

The endless plain of fortnite

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

Hot Stunt posted:

While you're not wrong, I can't imagine the author being upset that his work has been introduced to a new audience (Even if it's an unofficial translation.) The least Mr. Steak could do is link the official website in the OP so it could generate some extra traffic. Which I assume he did.

Also I've been thinking, how weird would it be if a couple years down the line, if there was a weird rear end anime produced from this comic.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Johnny-on-the-Spot posted:

While you're not wrong, I can't imagine the author being upset that his work has been introduced to a new audience (Even if it's an unofficial translation.) The least Mr. Steak could do is link the official website in the OP so it could generate some extra traffic. Which I assume he did.

Also I've been thinking, how weird would it be if a couple years down the line, if there was a weird rear end anime produced from this comic.

There already are anime like that (isn't Nichijou essentialy everyday life told dramatically?), and an entire manga genre (gekiga, I think it's called? Manga about daily life, with its little and not so little tragedies).

Still, I wouldn't read neither this comic, nor Sobutei, were it not for the OP - so thank you yet again, OP!

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.
I dunno about asking the creator what they think about their work being reproduced, even if Steak is giving credit. I've been blocked by Japanese artists on Twitter just for retweeting their stuff that they posted (or maybe because I'm from NA, I don't actually know). It's obvious there's a set of etiquette around it that isn't at all like NA's, because using platforms as intended and publicizing someone's good and cool art isn't usually enough to result in being deprived of said art, but, well...

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Jfc, please don't contact the author about a fan translation. Just don't. :can:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Yea, it’s risky. Even touhou guy has objected to his work circulating outside Japan. There’s a lot of paranoia about self-censorship and culture loss.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
there is a long history of Japanese artists shutting the gently caress down forever the second they get wind of westerners being into their stuff so yeah, don't.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Light Gun Man posted:

there is a long history of Japanese artists shutting the gently caress down forever the second they get wind of westerners being into their stuff so yeah, don't.

Is there a document one could read on this phenomenon? Sounds weird as hell

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Boiled Water posted:

not that I know of, I just have heard of it happening over the years. i'm failing to recall specific examples right now but i can vaguely recall there were entire websites where artists would post and they would close up and move to a new URL every time english comments started being commonplace and such.

maybe my brain is poo poo and i'm talking out my rear end on this one but i could swear i've seen it happen. there's been like minor twitter fights about it for sure.

edit: yeah if anyone has hard info on this phenomenon i'd like to see it too because i FEEL like i remember it happening but that's useless without specifics.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 13, 2019

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

I'd like to know if this exists too, because I see it happen a fair bit on the Twitter artist scale and have heard rumors of sites shutting down and URLs changing, but haven't got concrete evidence or confirmation of reasons.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Miss posted:

Those who can't, teach
Tohru never successfully murdered anyone, so this tracks

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Yikes, nevermind then. Wasn't looking at it from a cultural perspective. Shame though.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I doubt the author of NEET comics has a multiple circles making hundreds of hours of fan music and art for his comic. He'd just be surprised his work made it overseas.

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
You'd think, but in my experience neither the size of the account nor the severity of the reaction line up with that, or with each other.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

bob human being posted:

. He'd just be surprised his work made it overseas.

Japanese authors can and have been real sensitive about exactly this, sometimes even deleting their work wholesale from the internet.

Jfc goons don't ruin this for us

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
xenophobia has nothing to do with "cultural sensitivity" and even if not talking to this dude is ultimately the right thing to do, assuming hes gonna throw a tantrum isnt a good way to respect any artist.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kazak posted:

Japanese authors can and have been real sensitive about exactly this, sometimes even deleting their work wholesale from the internet.

Jfc goons don't ruin this for us

I don't get this, why put your art online if you don't want people looking at it? Is it some kind of cultural chauvinism or are foreign fans a real pain in the rear end somehow?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

bob human being posted:

xenophobia has nothing to do with "cultural sensitivity" and even if not talking to this dude is ultimately the right thing to do, assuming hes gonna throw a tantrum isnt a good way to respect any artist.

Laws are also involved. Don't make wild assumptions about nebulous poo poo like "respect".

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

pnumoman posted:

Laws are also involved. Don't make wild assumptions about nebulous poo poo like "respect".

I can't tell if youre quoting me because youre with what I said or against it. Either way I'm curious as to what international laws are at risk of being violated by sending this guy a message of "konichiwa i like your comic(tl note comic means manga)

edit: wait i figured it out its the "scantelators" connundrum. Dont think it applies because this isn't being published in a magazine.

guess the bottom line is he might ask mr steak to stop and even take it down.

fun that this came up tho. Theres a rule in the manga translator scene that you arent supposed to contact tite kubo with a "I changed Ichigo's dialog so instead of saying 'daijobu' he says 'youre alright fuckface' and released the chapter online an entire week before the magazine was published I hope thats okay" because of course its not okay.

Meanwhile this is a japanese guys drunkduck or keenspot hosted webcomic.

just bob fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 13, 2019

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Nah, people still nuke their accounts even when translation isn't involved at all. Unless you meant just the legal issues part, which, yeah, the translation aspect is a problem legally on top of the risk of someone getting rid of their work entirely.

Ultimately I'm just continuing to talk about it because I hope someone can provide an answer. I've dealt with this on a small scale for a long time now and I'd love to know how to show support to Japanese artists in a way that registers as respectful. So far the only working answer has been "pretend I never saw it" but man that feels so wrong.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Lysistrata posted:

So far the only working answer has been "pretend I never saw it" but man that feels so wrong.

It's a funny conflict. Dude might be a NEET himself who long ago gave up on getting any sort of fame and recognition.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Mr. Lobe posted:

I don't get this, why put your art online if you don't want people looking at it? Is it some kind of cultural chauvinism or are foreign fans a real pain in the rear end somehow?

Idk but I'm also curious for an explanation, I've seen several Japanese artists on social media delete their entire presence and art postings.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I had an ex who was heavily into Sims 3. When it came to clothes and hair some of the most talented modders were Japanese and they would fight tooth and nail to keep their stuff out of the hands of filthy gaijin. Over all there was an insane amount of drama within the Sims community but the poo poo that stemmed from Japanese mods was on another level.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
Possible ways this can go:

OR

Lodin posted:

I had an ex who was heavily into Sims 3. When it came to clothes and hair some of the most talented modders were Japanese and they would fight tooth and nail to keep their stuff out of the hands of filthy gaijin. Over all there was an insane amount of drama within the Sims community but the poo poo that stemmed from Japanese mods was on another level.

Never thought about it but I'm not surprised the "make people and play god with their lives" game community has drama regarding actual people.

just bob fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 13, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no posts in an entire hour? is this thread dead or something??

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Dark NEET Rises

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

NEET thoughts go in circles. Same topics all the time.

But it's been a surprisingly long time since we've had any food related information and I hope we get back to that soon.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

so much for the path of redemption :confuoot:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

jemand posted:

NEET thoughts go in circles. Same topics all the time.

But it's been a surprisingly long time since we've had any food related information and I hope we get back to that soon.

yeah seriously. what is he gonna have for dinner???

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

no, not that place

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Only NEET logic. “Having been in jail for a murder I didn’t commit I can’t get a job, so maybe I’ll actually commit a murder so that I’ve had the experience”.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hyphz posted:

Only NEET logic. “Having been in jail for a murder I didn’t commit I can’t get a job, so maybe I’ll actually commit a murder so that I’ve had the experience”.

*... so that i can have the credentials to make a living teaching others how to kill.

truly this man is galaxy brain

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

also this is a perfect place to stop for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I know it's a pickaxe but I prefer to read that as a reaper's scythe depicting "a job"