Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I beat it! The Mana Beast was kinda bullshit because the Mana Sword had such a low charge time. I was just about to run out of MP before I killed it. But overall, that was good.

I started up Trials of Mana. Anything I should know? Also, I'm absolutely poo poo at allocating skill points in any RPGs. Any recommendations for what to allocate skill points in for my party? I chose Duran, the purple mage woman, and the amazon. (I don't have them in my party yet and just forgot their names.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

For physical characters, priority is generally Strength>Vitality>Intelligence. You basically do the first if you can, the second if you can't do the first, and the third if you can't do either. That should cover most level ups. The reason to focus on Intelligence over Spirit is that it effects your magic attack AND defense against everything except Light-element, while Spirit covers Light-elemental attacks and defense specifically.
For mages, focus on Vitality if you can. Carlie should pump Spirit, while Angela should typically wait until you get a new spirit before you raise her Intelligence, since that's how you trigger a pre-requisite for learning new spells.

You never need to raise Luck, ever, unless you're actually out of options. Dexterity is important if you're Hawkeye as it fulfills pre-requisites, but otherwise both these stats do not do anything or do very little to influence your combat prowess, due to bugs. Other characters can have odd pre-requisites sometimes depending on class, for example Duran needs Spirit to learn some things later on, so priorities can sometimes shift, but generally you'll be fine as long as you avoid Dexterity and Luck.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I tend to focus on Intelligence with Angela to keep her spells as strong as possible and alternate between Strength and Vitality if I hit the soft cap. If you're sharing a party with Duran and Riesz there's not much need to focus on Angela's strength since those two will take care of all the physical damage you need.

Agility determines damage caused by traps and projectiles (all the Rogue spells + the Ninja's shurikens) as well as the prerequisites to learning those abilities, but it's functionally useless on other classes.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Duran/Kevin/Riesz: Strength > Vitality > Intelligence: Strength whenever you can, Vitality if you can't raise Strength, Intelligence if you can't raise either of the previous two. If you can't raise either of these three stats, raise Spirit.

Carlie: Spirit > Vitality > Intelligence: Spirit whenever you can, Vitality whenever you can't raise Spirit, Intelligence if you can't raise either of the previous two. If you can't raise any of these three stats, raise Strength.

Angela before 1st Class Change: Vitality > Strength > Intelligence: Vitality whenever you can, Strength when you can't raise Vitality, Intelligence whenever you can't raise either of the previous two or to get to the next benchmark for a new spell.

Angela after: Intelligence > Vitality > Spirit (Strength if going into her Dark Classes): Intelligence whenever you can, Vitality when you can't raise Int, Spirit when you can't raise either of the previous two. You could raise Strength instead of Spirit if you're going for Dark Angela and have someone else throwing Poto Oils or casting Heal Light since Angela only learns the base Holy Bolt spell as a light magic if you go with her Dark classes.

Hawk before 1st Class Change: Strength > Vitality > Intelligence: Strength whenever you can, Vitality if you can't raise Strength, Intelligence if you can't raise either of the previous two.

Hawk if Ranger: Strength > Vitality > Dexterity/Intelligence: Strength whenever you can, Vitality if you can't raise Strength, Agility to learn and strengthen your trap spells or Intelligence to strengthen magic defense and learn your status spells. You're required to put 2 points into both Dexterity and Intelligence to learn all your Ranger spells, so make sure you do that.

Hawk if Ninja: Dexterity > Vitality/Strength/Intelligence: Dexterity to learn your Ninja spells and strengthen Shuriken, Vitality to strengthen defense and gain some HP, Strength to strengthen your base physical attacks, or Intelligence to strengthen your Ninja spells that aren't Shuriken. Pick two of your secondaries alongside Dexterity and if you somehow can't raise either of your stats, raise the secondary stat you're neglecting instead.

Hawk if Wanderer: Intelligence/Strength > Vitality > Strength/Intelligence > Spirit: Intelligence and Strength raises your spell power with Poison Bubble and your base physical attacks respectively, and a point in both Intelligence and Spirit is required to learn all of Hawk's Wanderer spells. Once Intelligence or Strength is fully raised to max (requires two points into both), raise the other alongside Vitality, then shift to Vitality > the stat you haven't maxed yet of Strength or Intelligence > Spirit. Wanderer is Hawk's best class for Poto Oil use due to possessing the highest Spirit. One thing to take into consideration is that Wanderer is Hawk's weakest attack class both physically and magically, being just about entirely geared for Support. Thus, it might be for the best to neglect Strength entirely and focus on Vitality > Spirit > Intelligence in that order to maximize defensive stats, learn the spells you need to learn, and up the strength of his Poto Oils, or Vitality > Intelligence > Spirit if throwing Poto Oils isn't a need with your party. Hawk's Ranger spells are wasted in this class so Dexterity isn't a concern.

Hawk if Rogue: Dexterity > Vitality > Intelligence: Dexterity determines the damage of all your Rogue spells. Vitality and Intelligence for physical and magical defense alongside HP and MP boosts. Once Dexterity is filled or you can't raise any of these three stats, raise Spirit if Hawk is your healer (i.e. you lack someone with Heal Light, preferably multi-target, and are using Poto Oils) or Strength otherwise.

Hawk if Ninja Master: Dexterity > Vitality > Intelligence > Strength OR Strength > Vitality > Intelligence > Dexterity: Dexterity determines the damage of Shuriken, your most cost-effective spell. Vitality raises HP and physical defense. Intelligence raises the strength of your other spells, magical defense, and MP. Strength raises your base physical attack power. The stat priorities outlined is for whether you want to be either a group-specialized caster or mainly a multi-target debuffer, and as always you want to raise the first stat whenever you can, the second stat if you can't raise the first stat, the third stat if you can't raise either, and the fourth stat if all the previous three are somehow unavailable to you.

Hawk if Nightblade: Strength > Vitality > Intelligence > Dexterity OR Strength > Dexterity > Vitality > Intelligence: Strength determines his base physical damage & Nightblade is Hawk's best class if you want to go physical due to the highest Strength max stat + FST. Dexterity determines the power of the Nightblade spells (that includes Black Rain) & Shuriken. Vitality provides boosts to HP and physical defense. Intelligence provides power to Ninja spells that aren't Shuriken (though you're not using those spells for damage if you're going Nightblade), magical defense, and boosts MP.

On a side note, as a rule, if you already have the equipment and Vitality needed to reach 300 physical defense (only possible around endgame), then Vitality becomes considerably less important to raise compared to Strength, Intelligence, and Spirit (and Dexterity if you're Hawkeye in a non-Wanderer class). This is mainly because Vitality at that point provides only a paltry raise in HP by 1 or 2 points compared to boosting the offensive power of your attacks and spells, or the increase in magic defense in Intelligence and Spirit's case: Defense against light spells and summons for Spirit, everything else for Intelligence.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm really enjoying Trials of Mana so far. The combat is way better, and if the giant enemy crab is indication, so are the boss battles. I regret not playing this earlier in life. I'm drawn into it way more than my attempts at Secret of Mana were. I hope I can beat this before the remake comes out. (DQXI, Link's Awakening, and life are gonna derail this.)

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I think I finished Trials at 25 hours or so, it's longer than Secret of Mana but not on the level of a Final Fantasy game or anything.

Just finished a co-op run of Trials of Mana (Hawk/Reisz/Angela), the buff/debuff combinations sure make boss fights a lot smoother than I remembered. I think back in my early emulation days I was too dumb to make use of most of the magic outside of Angela's spells. Though I got kind of annoyed with player 2 pausing the game with magic spamming all the time, and trying to resist the urge to start another game using Kevin and sabers/techs instead of bringing Angela along.
I'm surprised the official translation didn't change Kevin's name into something less lame. I always think it's kind of funny when JRPGs have kewl badass fantasy characters who are given really normal sounding Western names. (The other ones I can think of off hand are FF6 Tina/Terra and the half-dragon lady in Valkyrie Profile who was named Amy in Japan).

About halfway into Secret of Mana now which I never touched for more than an hour.

Of course Secret of Mana is regarded as the classic overseas since Trials was never released, so I was curious how it was received in Japan. I was pretty surprised that in Japan it only sold about half as much as Secret of Mana in spite of being a much better game in most regards, anyone know why that is?
Did SoM just have a big novelty factor for being an early party based action RPG, and there were a lot of diminishing returns for the sequel?
I read about Square cutting back how many units of cartridges were produced due to disagreements with Nintendo but other stuff from the same time like Chrono Trigger still sold very well.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I think Trials was a very late game in the SNES lifespan. So the PSX was probably around at that time. So that must have had some impact on the sales.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Mulderman posted:

I think Trials was a very late game in the SNES lifespan. So the PSX was probably around at that time. So that must have had some impact on the sales.
This never occurred to me, but it makes sense. There's specific Trials of Mana callbacks even modern pop culture refers back to. I was overjoyed folks were as nostalgic for the game (at least certain bosses) as I was, but how many Japanese players were playing ROMs in the first place?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there a decent walkthrough for Trials of Mana written yet? I dunno if there's a current go to one. I'd check for Secret of Mana 2 or Seiken Densetsu 3 walkthroughs but they'd probably be using the old names and terms or whatever has changed.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a decent walkthrough for Trials of Mana written yet? I dunno if there's a current go to one. I'd check for Secret of Mana 2 or Seiken Densetsu 3 walkthroughs but they'd probably be using the old names and terms or whatever has changed.

There are a LOT of guides that have been written over the last two decades about Seiken Densetsu 3. Yes, they use the old names, but it's not that hard to figure out what or who they're referring to and no actual gameplay changes exist between the SNES rom and the version on the Switch. (which is the same SNES rom, bugs and all, wrapped in their own emulator)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I assume you're likely getting caught up on some sequence triggers in the early-game, of which there are a lot of annoying different ones. Is it about dwarves, perhaps?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alxprit posted:

I assume you're likely getting caught up on some sequence triggers in the early-game, of which there are a lot of annoying different ones. Is it about dwarves, perhaps?

So I had finished the Dwarves part. I went back to the start town (I'm terrible with remembering names of things) which was under attack by the mages. After that, the king said to go to Port Polo. And Von Boyage's brother was there saying he needed to set up canon. After finding a video walkthrough on YouTube, it turns out all I needed to do was talk to a random woman in a random house and the canon got built!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Yeah, that part's another annoying thing, haha. I think that's the last really oblique sequence trigger, but I can think of another thing that if you don't pick up on the clues, you won't know exactly what to do. In this case it was just a bit of Startropics Syndrome where talking to every NPC would eventually solve your problem.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Complaining on the internet seems to be the best solution. I keep running into weird problems. So I'm trying to get the Minor Mallet. I find the guy who gives it to you. And this happened:

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1172237731403063303?s=19

He won't give it to me because he says I already got one. It's not in my inventory and I don't remember obtaining one. :shrug:

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1172241048640339968?s=19

The video I watched showed him give Duran the mallet and going on his merry way.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 12, 2019

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I'd guess your inventory is full and the game won't sent it directly to storage. Put something away and try talking to her again?

e: "Enough of this item" is probably a mislocalization. There's another line that iirc talks about the Undersea Kingdom Altena, one of Richard's golden knight says it later in the game after talking to Richard after getting the turtle?

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 12, 2019

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Yeah, it says you got it but then it says you have no room, it's a bad order of operations. Make room in your inventory by hitting the Plus/Start button and putting something into storage - like the Nitromyte, since it has no use anymore.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well piss. That worked. I didn't know there even was a storage limit. I expected it to work exactly like SoM.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There’s like a bajillion battle items in Trials in case you don’t have anyone with x spell you can use a consumable. Poto Oil is the best one, it’s multi-target heal ball(?) whatever they call it in the new one. There’s also buffs in the form of monster claws/scales, coins that cast different spells, etc. Only low level spells though.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
You can only store 9 items of a kind in the ring menu but up to 99 of anything in the storage.
If you're not using a healer character you should absolutely stock up on lots of candy, chocolate, faerie walnuts etc. and then take them out of storage when you are running low in the middle of a dungeon. There are a couple of times where you will go through multiple dungeons and bosses without convenient access to a shop in between and it will be a big help.

Especially Poto Oils from the Night Market in Beiser as they are pretty cheap and let you do a full-party heal that scales up depending on the Spirit stat of the character using the item.
In general a lot of the items from the night market are extremely useful though their purpose is not explained very well in the game. Outside of the poto oils, the scales function as buffs and the claws function as saber spells. The specter's eye is useful for removing buffs from a few bosses that cast them.

Playing Secret of Mana after Trials I was kind of shocked that you can only carry 4 of anything and valuable items like faerie walnuts dropped from enemies will disappear if you are already carrying 4.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Item Getter posted:

The specter's eye is useful for removing buffs from a few bosses that cast them.

The Specter's Eye (and its magical cousin Anti Magic or whatever's the spell called in the collection) have another unsaid effect; they strip an enemy/boss of their elemental absorption properties, allowing you to do stuff like cast Thunder Diversion on a wind-based boss to lower its defense. (usually the boss would absorb the attack and the debuff wouldn't proc)

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Item Getter posted:

You can only store 9 items of a kind in the ring menu but up to 99 of anything in the storage.
If you're not using a healer character you should absolutely stock up on lots of candy, chocolate, faerie walnuts etc. and then take them out of storage when you are running low in the middle of a dungeon. There are a couple of times where you will go through multiple dungeons and bosses without convenient access to a shop in between and it will be a big help.

Especially Poto Oils from the Night Market in Beiser as they are pretty cheap and let you do a full-party heal that scales up depending on the Spirit stat of the character using the item.
In general a lot of the items from the night market are extremely useful though their purpose is not explained very well in the game. Outside of the poto oils, the scales function as buffs and the claws function as saber spells. The specter's eye is useful for removing buffs from a few bosses that cast them.

Playing Secret of Mana after Trials I was kind of shocked that you can only carry 4 of anything and valuable items like faerie walnuts dropped from enemies will disappear if you are already carrying 4.

I actually really preferred the strict item limitations in Secret of Mana. When I played the game as a kid I hated it, but now that I care about difficulty and want some challenge from games, I think it’s much better. Trials of Mana (feels really weird to write that, since I’ve only ever played the ROM, but I guess that’s its name now) gives some classes cool tools to generate MP, but they’re meaningless unless you impose restrictions on yourself because it’s impossible to run out of fairy walnuts after a certain point. Effectively unlimited healing removes any tension from easy fights, when otherwise you would have to play more carefully or consider whether you want to spend limited MP to avoid damage. Attrition is a key component of the old school RPG formula, but being able to carry effectively unlimited items in storage completely removes it from the equation.

I suspect, like with the night market items, the developers were worried that some players would create weak class combos that would get screwed, so they left some ways to brute force through the game.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I actually really preferred the strict item limitations in Secret of Mana. When I played the game as a kid I hated it, but now that I care about difficulty and want some challenge from games, I think it’s much better. Trials of Mana (feels really weird to write that, since I’ve only ever played the ROM, but I guess that’s its name now) gives some classes cool tools to generate MP, but they’re meaningless unless you impose restrictions on yourself because it’s impossible to run out of fairy walnuts after a certain point. Effectively unlimited healing removes any tension from easy fights, when otherwise you would have to play more carefully or consider whether you want to spend limited MP to avoid damage. Attrition is a key component of the old school RPG formula, but being able to carry effectively unlimited items in storage completely removes it from the equation.

I suspect, like with the night market items, the developers were worried that some players would create weak class combos that would get screwed, so they left some ways to brute force through the game.

I can see all that, it was just surprising when going to Secret of Mana after Trials was the only one I really had experience with before.
I'd be more or less fine with it if there was a minor quality of life thing where chests didn't disappear if you already have 4 of the item. I just had to start remembering which enemies drop what because of it, but it always feels like a missed opportunity when a chest disappears and I could have used the item.
Though right now in between the sunken continent and mana palace and wish there was a good way to restock a bit between them. Maybe I am missing something though.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I suspect they were right to worry because the item restrictions are kind of dependent on your party composition. For a team consisting of Duran, Kevin and Riesz, 9 fairy walnuts is pure overkill since that team is light on MP-consumption to begin with and tends to finish fights quickly due to their sheer damage output. For a team consisting of Angela, Charlotte and Hawkeye, having a steady supply of MP restoratives makes sense since their physical damage output is limited and they'd rely on their abilities to see themselves through.

Since item storage doesn't depend on what characters and classes you pick, there's no ideal way to balance this.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
More footage from the remake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3GHDpg8jFM

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, that fight against Dolan looked hectic (and fun) as hell!

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'm a little sad his full moon kamehameha that he comboed my party with is a mechanic to easily dizzy him.

This fight makes me ultra hype for Zablefahr, though.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Personally I'm really curious how they're gonna pull off the Dangaard fight, now that you're required to manually dodge stuff.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Imagine just straight up falling off of Flammie if you screw up. Whoops!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Hawkeye's harem hahaha

And of course they opened with the scene that happens when Hawkeye is not in your party, but Riesz is.

On a more serious matter, remake is looking to be extremely fun and different enough from the original game (shame they don't show ). I'm hype as hell for the rest of the Benevodon fights.

It's also gonna be interesting to see how neat fighting the final bosses will be.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The real question is how they'll redo Black Rabite

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Maybe make it accessible for every protagonist? Or maybe they’ll add super bosses for each story?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Hadn't actually gotten to look at that until now but that looks like an insanely well realized boss fight, drat.

The remixes sound pretty drat good, too.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Shmuplations just posted a couple of rare Japanese Secret of Mana interviews from the time period between that game being released and Trials first being worked on.

http://shmuplations.com/secretofmana/

Apparently some of the alternatives for Flammie as a mode of travel were a Gamera knockoff, a robot, or a spaceship, and they wanted to have weird little shmup fights in the sky for you to do before canning it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

And then almost on cue here comes Tomato with tidbits from the Seiken Densetsu 1 guide.

https://twitter.com/ClydeMandelin/status/1189233334733492225

chocobot was originally going to fly...

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Oh sweet mama these illustrations are good:

https://twitter.com/ManaGame/status/1194634126659162113

Third tier class renders are also up on the site and they look amazing:

https://twitter.com/salsacaek/status/1194663044242169859

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Basically every woman in those pictures is simpering, even Angela.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Especially Angela, wow. That's just awkward.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

y'know, i always pictured lise's armor as a bit..uh...more comprehensive than that

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Wow Angela/Duran is definitely the horniest story path.

It’s creepy as hell reading the old guides on GameFAQ’s and having some creeper talk about how Angela’s special where she taps her butt is the best attack in the game :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Man got those figures pre-ordered.
April 24th cant come soon enough