Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Patware posted:

have we even had much of a conversation with a Gold at any point?

Cio's husband. But he's also possessing another being, presumably to steal its size and powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Princess can't be used as an example for anything Devil related because Allison broke most to all of the rules regarding summoning/making/de\re\incarnating a devil through drunken furious dumbassery empowered by the Voice of God, she's been stated to be a little bit of a unique case.

Also Himself knowing He is Himself is very close to Him being I, which is the Secret Name of God and the True Shape Of The Universe. It then could be semi-safely assumed that He is close to being a pure incarnation/representation/actualization of The Hot Black Flame itself, and thus one half of YIS.

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!
Interesting note about Himself: he can see through the eyes of, or in some way know, what all devils are up to due to the shared black flame nature. That's how he knew what Cio was thinking when she first met Allison.

We also don't know anything about pale devils. Perhaps they have found a way to live without feeding their flame?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this possession lark seems like an incredibly bad idea

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Solomon David eyes the jeep keys.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

V. Illych L. posted:

this possession lark seems like an incredibly bad idea

true royalty is understanding that being in trouble is a fake idea

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
instantly after posting that it occurs to me that the same thing must have been posted fifty times in this thread already to fifty distinct situations

anyways,
still true

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Fister Roboto posted:

Solomon David eyes the jeep keys.

I wonder if Solomon is for or against careful legalistic rule-bending. Like, this seems like a legitimate loophole in his tournament rules; will he applaud it or go jeep?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

I wonder if Solomon is for or against careful legalistic rule-bending. Like, this seems like a legitimate loophole in his tournament rules; will he applaud it or go jeep?

i believe that he will sternly say "I'll allow it, but watch yourself, counselor"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

"I'm not mad at you for doing that, but I am disappointed."

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Hostile V posted:

"I'm not mad at you for doing that, but I am disappointed."

Congratulations Allison, you're officially a SolDave failson now!

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Relevant information to our current conversation:

https://killsixbilliondemons.tumblr.com/post/169190011145/princess-the-devil-seems-to-have-some-vague

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Joe Slowboat posted:

I was about to make a joke about there being nothing in the rules saying a dog can't play basketball you can't wear your girlfriend but given what we've seen of this universe and SwoleDaddy's empire there probably is.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I think that if Cio ever turns ebon again, and it isn't just fridging her or turning her into a villain (both of which I feel Abbadon would not do), then I think she would likely do so after another timeskip. 'Cio' (not Cio von maximus etc) would likely be an idealized version of what Cio wants to be, and not what she once was as Yabalchoath. I feel like it would be pretty bad message to say that a persons idealized or distilled self free of what labels other people put onto you is worse and more immoral.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Can't be the first time a competitor in the Ring has masked up. Might mean it's a known, allowable factor, though.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

thechosenone posted:

I think that if Cio ever turns ebon again, and it isn't just fridging her or turning her into a villain (both of which I feel Abbadon would not do), then I think she would likely do so after another timeskip. 'Cio' (not Cio von maximus etc) would likely be an idealized version of what Cio wants to be, and not what she once was as Yabalchoath. I feel like it would be pretty bad message to say that a persons idealized or distilled self free of what labels other people put onto you is worse and more immoral.

Look, the rule clearly states that a man cannot wear his girlfriend or wife like a mask, therefore this is all fine and dandy

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

thechosenone posted:

I mean I think Ebons are also 'most like the pure Hot Black Flame' and thus the most inherent/natural form, and one of the core themes of the setting is "Essential natures don't matter, you can determine what you want to be. Nature loses to will."

Cio's most 'pure' devil nature is Yabalchoath, but what she wants to be and chooses to be is Ciocie Cioelle Estrella von Maximus the Third. I don't think that's a bad message.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Xand_Man posted:

I was about to make a joke about there being nothing in the rules saying a dog can't play basketball you can't wear your girlfriend but given what we've seen of this universe and SwoleDaddy's empire there probably is.

I fully expect that if there is such a law, it's gender specific.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I mean, if we are gonna go with lore on things* you could say that the gods never intended to create devils, as even Koss did not try to work the Black Flame, hot or warm, and that there really isn't a 'most natural' state for devils for the most part. I would also say that I agree the level of a devil isn't the end all be all of their power or their self actualization as a person. Either way, I think if Cio ever does find herself with only her Ebon name, That the name will reflect the person she is, and not the other way around.

*:though I will note that every watsonian text on these issues is likely biased and does not hold the complete picture, and I think while Abbadon might say some things here or there, he likely isn't going to spell things out completely, and can always change his mind on what is the case later.

Edit: This is a separate argument than above, but we could even argue that technically she doesn't even have 'Yabalchoath' in her name at all anymore, and that while having been her is an important part of Cio, it doesn't define her solely, or even majoritively considering it isn't even referenced in the name. This is assuming that a Devil even has to have its name reflect its personality at all and can't just be 'I thought it sounded the best'

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 14, 2019

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

Cio, Allison, and the whole name of God piled up in a trench coat might be creeping up on what your call the limits of Solomon's jurisdiction

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This is officially too much mechanics analysis for me, even.

yeah seriously just tell me where to stand and when to press buottn

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
To answer the earlier question, especially in light of the linked word of god, I think it's clear:

You can absolutely have multiple of the same demon running around if someone willed them into being hard enough. The real question is how long they'd get along before betraying themselves.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

instantly after posting that it occurs to me that the same thing must have been posted fifty times in this thread already to fifty distinct situations

anyways,
still true

royalty is not worrying about it

that's probably also the absolute best way to explain royalty

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

One thing nobody's brought up yet:

The mask used to make Princess was intended as a replacement mask for another devil. If the devil's mind and personality is in the mask, how can it be replaced? Wouldn't that just result in a new devil (and the destruction of the old one)? Or does it actually work more like Vladok/Princess, where the new devil retains most of the original memories/personality if you immediately slap on on a new mask after removing the old one?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nostalgamus posted:

The mask used to make Princess was intended as a replacement mask for another devil. If the devil's mind and personality is in the mask, how can it be replaced? Wouldn't that just result in a new devil (and the destruction of the old one)? Or does it actually work more like Vladok/Princess, where the new devil retains most of the original memories/personality if you immediately slap on on a new mask after removing the old one?

I think it has a lot to do with the intentions of the binder. The mask was intended as a replacement, so it would've become one until it was overwritten by Allison.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm guessing that when Allison's not involved there's a magic ritual of some kind to transform the new mask to become a clone of the old.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Nostalgamus posted:

Abaddon said there's a case to be made that Vladok's dead and Princess is deceiving themselves.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

SardonicTyrant posted:

Abaddon said there's a case to be made that Vladok's dead and Princess is deceiving themselves.

Lol next you'll be saying the very concept of the self is naught but continuous deception

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Abaddon is YISUN, and thus a known liar

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

My [BRAND]!

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1195199064830287872?s=20

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i feel like we all intuitively knew that whatever this fusion looks like, it will be Horny

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

So we all agree that Allison will lose her eye when Cio's mask is shattered, right?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

pseudorandom name posted:

So we all agree that Allison will lose her eye when Cio's mask is shattered, right?

no?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

not empty quoting except in a buddhist sense

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

pseudorandom name posted:

What is with y'all and predicting that Abaddon is going to fridge Cio?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

PMush Perfect posted:

It just seems narratively likely for the protagonist to be motivated by the death of their lover, I suppose. Certainly an event like that would provoke Allison to be a Furious Dumbass like never before.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

PMush Perfect posted:

Cause I thought of it first last month? Maybe.
Fits in with Abbadon saying 'you guys are really gonna hate this chapter's ending'. That could be a good reason why.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

There Bias Two posted:

It just seems narratively likely for the protagonist to be motivated by the death of their lover, I suppose. Certainly an event like that would provoke Allison to be a Furious Dumbass like never before.
It's lazy writing made even worse by it being a straight(?) dude killing off a queer woman for cheap drama. Have some faith.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

There's also a case to be made that neither Vladok or Princess ever existed and princess is just a nonsentient chunk of the hot black flame that reacts to stimulus in such a way as to simulate a devil deceiving itself into thinking it's the continuation of another devil.

Because it's an in-universe position that all devils are P-Zombies and for the most part devils have the response of "drat you make a good point" and then continuing on as they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Al-yis-un losing her key but learning to use the power of Want without it from Maya (because why does Royalty need a key? Zoss certainly seems fine, and he was decapitated) seems more likely than a Cio fridging, tbh