Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Jamal is cool but he did leave Janet out to dry with a plan he's never revealed his hand in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
gently caress yeah janet good call

oh wow i was way wrong she was fine

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Kellee and Jamal out on the same night is a real shitshow

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Can Ponderosa just be the main show now

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Feels like a poisoned season now thats gonna fall below One World...

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
:smith:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Feels like a poisoned season now thats gonna fall below One World...
Yep

Was it the players themselves that have been pushing the "Don't sleep on 39" cuz uhh

poo poo

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Khanstant posted:

Jamal is cool but he did leave Janet out to dry with a plan he's never revealed his hand in

what should he have done, go HAY GUYS I TRIED TO RUN THIS VOTE THAT DIDN'T WORK ???

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Is it fair to change the title to Millennials Vs Janet Vs Touchy-Feely yet?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Woof

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Funny thing how Karishma, Janet, Jamal, and Noura all voted for Dan with Kellee but Noura was completely forgotten and absorbed into the majority.

Kellee should have played an idol and saved us from this.
Jamal should've still had an idol and sent Karishma home.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean with some of the crazy asses left in the game it could be "good TV" in a special way

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

... why is there a throuple on swat

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

what should he have done, go HAY GUYS I TRIED TO RUN THIS VOTE THAT DIDN'T WORK ???

fair enough, im just annoyed noura and jamal both got the perfect scapegoat who wouldnt even think to defend herself by pointing them out

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This is the grossest and least fun Survivor has been since Thailand.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pinterest Mom posted:

... why is there a throuple on swat

There is only 1 TV show on CBS.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I feel like if Karishma ever actually gets voted out, the deciding vote(s) will just spontaneously combust when Jeff tries to read them.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Honestly, I just really don't get what storyline the producers were trying to do on this 2 hour episode... like the 1st episode is, Dan is bad enough where we need to put disclaimers and have producers talking on screen. Then the 2nd hour is all, "Well it's just gameplay :smug:"

No way any of that is going to go over well for the show :(.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Honestly, I just really don't get what storyline the producers were trying to do on this 2 hour episode... like the 1st episode is, Dan is bad enough where we need to put disclaimers and have producers talking on screen. Then the 2nd hour is all, "Well it's just gameplay :smug:"

No way any of that is going to go over well for the show :(.

Seriously I feel like I'm in another universe.

They have receipts ON CAMERA that Dan is a sexual harasser but they're acting like Janet is throwing deranged accusations around. The other women going back on these claims with actual proof makes no sense.

I feel so gross.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I literally cried during the Varner/Zeke thing but this was also extremely rough to sit through

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

.... can they bring Chris back from Edge of Extinction and have him win this season too

Deceptive
Dec 27, 2012
That might have been the worst episode of this show. It was completely gross from start to finish. I felt awful for Janet through that whole tribal council. Honestly, I wish she left the game in protest.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

I think the problem with this season and many of the later seasons that have sucked is the contestants aren't so much playing a game and having an adventure but are calculating how the cast is being portrayed.
The producers having an off camera pow-wow about "boundaries" and "inappropriate behavior" is tipping them off and they are acting or reacting accordingly to their own moral compass.

Janet and Jamal's seem to have a more grounded compass while the younger contestants are using the same knowledge to further their stay, despite how gross it is coming across in the finished product.

The ladies heel turn on Janet at the beginning of the second episode was especially loathsome but that is how they choose to move forward with it.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 14, 2019

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Elizabeth never actually even had a problem with Dan, but Missy convinced her to sell the issue to Janet.

I now realize maybe the reason the show buried Dan so heavily in the first hour was in part to cover their butts for the way these votes turned out.

Much like how outing someone to try to save your game is way over the line, so is leveraging harassment allegations you're not willing to stand by in order to try to get your way.

I can't believe all the exciting possibilities we had for the direction of the game heading into a two hour episode tonight, and then we get this. My wife previously scheduled us to do some stuff next Wednesday night and I need to go tell her thank you.

Please Sia, swoop down tomorrow and give Janet and Kellee a million dollars.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Ugh, that was so gross.

Janet is too good for this world. Jamal comes off as annoying at camp but at least his head is on straight. Too bad he's gone.

If Dan wins this season, there will be a riot.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the semi-official scoop, make of it what you will. Seems like a plausible, balanced explanation.

FROM ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: (Formatted for posting by me, nothing removed or added text-wise)
On this week’s back-to back-episodes of Survivor: Island of the Idols, social and strategic intersected like never before. Kellee Kim once again expressed uncomfortableness with the way Dan Spilo kept being touchy and violating her personal space — a situation that resulted in production intervening, speaking with the entire cast, and offering an official warning to Dan.

The situation then exploded when Missy Byrd and Elizabeth Beisel concocted a plan to exaggerate and fabricate their reactions to Dan’s touching so that he would become a target instead of them, even though they appeared to have no problem with his actions. That caused Dan’s ally Janet Carbin to vote against him because she wanted to protect the women who were pretending to feel like victims. Once she found out the truth, Janet was so upset she considered quitting the game, while Dan clearly chafed under host Jeff Probst’s questioning at Tribal Council.

We caught up with the host to get his take on everything that went down, and the actions of all parties involved.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Okay, a lot to get into here. There are so many angles and things to get into with this whole Kellee and Dan situation. Let’s start on the production side. We saw Kellee say in an interview how uncomfortable she was with what she saw as Dan’s inappropriate touching, and in a Survivor rarity, heard one of your producers talking back to Kellee about it. We were later informed that the producers met with the players as a group and individually, and that Dan was issued a warning for his behavior. Take us through what was happening behind the scenes as you all discussed how to handle this situation, and then how those meetings with the players went.

JEFF PROBST: Okay let’s start with the big picture. We monitor the players 24 hours a day for 39 days. There is never a moment when a producer is not with them. And the various producing teams on both beaches have daily downloads, so everybody is always aware what is happening with every player. Personally, I am constantly being updated on what is happening on the beaches. I receive updates on everything from minor injuries to rice rations to idol finds.

After Kellee and Missy’s conversation about Dan, one of our co-EP’s interviewed Kellee. This is normal Survivor protocol. And, as you saw, in the interview Kellee got upset, so our producer stopped the interview to ask if Kellee wanted production to intervene. This is a very important moment because the producer is having to navigate a delicate balance of looking out for Kellee without taking any action that might negatively impact her game.

To her credit, Kellee stated that she felt the issue could be handled by the players involved and did not want us to take any action on her behalf. And as you saw in her earlier conversation with Missy, both women were very clear that they were not going to let one person “blow up their game.” But based on Kellee’s interview, the producer immediately shared the story with me and I immediately contacted CBS. The decision was made to meet with all players, both as a group and individually, to remind them of personal boundaries and hear of any concerns.

When we met privately with Dan, we told him that his actions were making some of the women uncomfortable and reminded him that personal boundaries must be respected at all times. We also informed him this was an official warning.

EW We saw Missy and Elizabeth come up with a strategy to intentionally play up the angle of how uncomfortable Dan made them feel as a way to move the target off themselves, even though Elizabeth admitted to the camera that she had no problems with his actions. Was this crossing the line to tarnish Dan’s reputation as a strategic tool?

JP I don’t think you can address Elizabeth or Missy’s actions without first remembering that every player is making their decisions based on very limited information and through their own filters. No individual player ever knows all of the information, and that plays directly into this situation. Let’s first address this from the women’s point of view and then look at it from Dan’s.

In the case of Missy, she was very clear when talking with Kellee that she was not going to let Dan “blow up her game” with $1 million on the line. And Missy was not privy to Kellee’s private confessional where she shared how upset she was about Dan. Then, to complicate things, Missy learns that Kellee is actually conspiring against her, to vote her out. This changes everything. Missy has a new archenemy, and voting out Kellee becomes the mission.

Elizabeth has her own entry point into the story. As you saw in the episode, Elizabeth states that she wasn’t uncomfortable with Dan’s behavior. She hadn’t spent time with Kellee, so she didn’t have any insight into how Kellee was feeling. So, from her point of view, Elizabeth didn’t see any issue in going along with the Dan story. Perhaps if she understood the impact Dan was having on Kellee she might have made a very different choice.

On the other side of this story is Dan. One on hand, it’s very clear that Dan’s touching was making some of the women uncomfortable, and we saw many of those moments on camera. There is no denying that it happened. But as Missy and Elizabeth embellished their stories about the situation, it put Dan in an unfair light and further complicated everything. Now the story has taken on a life of its own with several conflicting perspectives.

By the time Janet becomes involved, she is making very big decisions based on a dangerous mixture of truthful and untruthful information. And because no individual player has all the information, rumors now hold as much weight as truth. This is a precise microcosm of what happens in the workplace. We must use this as an opportunity to examine ourselves and how we handle these types of situations.

EW Let’s take the other side of that with Janet, who changed her vote to Dan for what she said was a moral decision because she had “a personal, emotional need to have these girls feel okay.” Did she have a legitimate reason to be upset when she found out that some of the accusations from what she said were Missy, Elizabeth, and Lauren were either untrue or overblown, saying that “I feel anything that has to do with sexual uncomfortability has no place in a game environment”? Or is everything fair game in this game?

JPThis is a great example of why this entire situation is so complex. Janet had her own unique experience as it relates to Dan. Of all the women mentioned, Janet didn’t appear to have any interactions with Dan that made her feel uncomfortable. But as the self-elected mom of the group, she felt very protective of the younger women. It was admirable to witness her decision to risk her own game in order to protect the other women, whom she was told had experienced issues with Dan.

I imagine a lot of viewers will have immense empathy for Janet, as she was truly trying to do what she thought was the right thing. Later, when she learned some of the conversations were for gameplay, she was understandably upset not only because she felt she was being played, but also because she felt she had unfairly judged Dan.

And to bring it full circle, remember, there was truth that Dan did bother some of the women. It’s extremely complicated. This situation really tests the concept of justified ethics, something that is at the heart of every Survivor season. Where does each player draw their line in the sand? What is okay to do or say and what is off limits? And the bigger question: Are there certain situations that are simply off limits, no matter what?

EW We repeatedly saw Dan get irritated at Tribal Council that you would not just let the topic go and kept asking him about it. From your interactions with him and what you saw, do you feel he ever fully understood the weight of the situation when it came to Kelle and his role in making her feel her personal space was being violated?

JP Dan was clearly frustrated with me for bringing the topic up at Tribal. My guess is that at the time he felt he had already talked with Kellee back on the beach during episode 1 and felt I was just trying to turn this into a bigger story. From my point of view, this was an obviously important story and one we had not yet talked about at Tribal Council. Tribal Council is where you are held accountable for your actions. Dan was the central figure in the story, so this was the appropriate forum for the discussion.

This situation also highlighted another layer of the changing dynamic between men and women: You don’t have to feel unsafe to feel uncomfortable and making someone uncomfortable is not okay. This is new territory for this important conversation, and my hope was that everybody could share their point of view, in an open forum, about what had gone down and we could get total clarity. But, as you saw, players were still very much in game mode and reluctant to talk. And worth noting, Dan survived another Tribal Council.

EW I watched that second Tribal Council and kept thinking about how difficult it must have been for Kellee to sit there as a jury member and not have a voice in that conversation. One of the most interesting things in this episode that may get lost with everything else going on is the way Kellee was able to separate game and personal, as her initial target with all this going on was not Dan, but rather Missy. What is your takeaway from how Kellee handled this entire situation — which began very early on in the season when she told Dan how uncomfortable he was making her feel with his touching — and through her having to live through it all again as a member of the jury?

JP I am incredibly proud of Kellee for being willing to speak up. In episode 1, she was very courageous in speaking her truth even though she knew it might mess up her game. And initially, I thought Kellee was very generous with Dan in trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. And, as you noted, despite being upset with Dan, she was clear enough in her thought process to not let Dan interfere with the bigger move that she felt was more important to her game — taking out Missy, her biggest adversary.

Kellee has all the qualities of a great Survivor player: She has a strong voice, the presence of mind to know when to use it, she’s a strategic thinker, and she walked into Tribal Council with not one, but two hidden immunity idols! Only a few people have ever had two idols at one Tribal. Yes, she was also voted out with two idols, but there is no denying Kellee is a very savvy Survivor player and hopefully someone that would consider playing again.

As for Kellee not having a voice while on the jury, we made the decision to hold true to the rule that jury members aren’t allowed to comment or ask questions. Our intention was to maintain the integrity of the million-dollar vote that the jury members make on day 39.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
I'm just at the point where Janet is talking to Liz and Missie, and what the gently caress is this show? Why are they sticking up for this trash? It sounded like Kellee got voted off at least partially for speaking up against Dan. I hope they all feel like absolute poo poo when they watch the episodes and see the footage. This is some big brother nonsense.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ugh. Gross, Survivor.

Fast Luck posted:

Elizabeth never actually even had a problem with Dan, but Missy convinced her to sell the issue to Janet.

I now realize maybe the reason the show buried Dan so heavily in the first hour was in part to cover their butts for the way these votes turned out.

Much like how outing someone to try to save your game is way over the line, so is leveraging harassment allegations you're not willing to stand by in order to try to get your way.
Yeah, I think they went so hard in on Dan in the first hour so that when Missy and Elizabeth went all "Janet made it up!" in the second hour we'd know how full of poo poo and disgusting they were being and how not only did they play up the issue a ton but that Dan really was a weirdo toe toucher. I think the part that got a little lost in the narrative was Missy's motivations in all of it in how much she was for real with Kellee about Dan, how much she was just playing Kellee to get the target on anyone but her, and how vengeful she was towards Kellee when Lauren told her she was getting played/targeted. We've seen Missy do some drastic game flips before this season.

gently caress Dan, gently caress Aaron, gently caress Missy, gently caress Elizabeth, gently caress Lauren, gently caress anyone else I missed. Man, I was not expecting THIS episode.

Bummed about Kellee, but you know. She had an idol, she had a backup idol, she had a clue that she was in trouble... that's on her. Still she was my favorite and she had to sit on that jury and listen to that bullshit so bummed. And then Jamal follows. I much rather be with that Jury than the tribe. Sorry about your luck, Janet and Karishima.

The Bloop posted:

Jamal is arrogant, but this is like his third truth bomb. His head certainly seems to be in the right place on issues, he's just got a chip on his shoulder.

I've been up and down with him but I think he's shown he's a decent dude. He just needed some humbling and he got some during this game. Hopefully he does exactly as he said and comes out a better person from this. Because a lot of these assholes aren't gonna.

"No bye, no nothing?"
Yeah, I wouldn't have said goodbye either.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Shneak posted:

Seriously I feel like I'm in another universe.

They have receipts ON CAMERA that Dan is a sexual harasser but they're acting like Janet is throwing deranged accusations around. The other women going back on these claims with actual proof makes no sense.

I feel so gross.

My wife and I are both feeling very :tinfoil: that this is somehow a conservative producer (Mark B) driven narrative to undermine the generally liberal social movements of the past several years. The first hour set up one scenario with little doubt or questioning while the second hour completely tore it apart, maybe similar to real life events, but at the end of the day when you have live video of everything that happens 24/7 you should be able to present a more objective and even view of the entire situation without making your audience feel like they’re taking crazy pills. Couple that with the Jamal du rag and “female alliance” stuff it seems like they’re trying very hard to make an average audience uncomfortable and despise social discourse.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
This poo poo sucks and it’s not like this season was good to begin with. It’s interesting that like, everybody has to draw their own line about what they’ll do to win survivor, and it is an interesting choice that so many are okay with millions of people watching them lie about lying about lying about sexual harassment. I get that yeah, it’s survivor, you lie and cheat and steal, but it feels like people on this season don’t know you go back to life afterward and there’s lines you don’t want to have publicly crossed.

idk, poo poo sucks, I’m really surprised they edited the last three episodes to be “Jamal teaches us about race”, “Jamal weighs in sagely on gender issues”, and “Jamal stands up for women everywh—oh, he’s gone”

there’s so few players left I remotely care about rooting for, I might just wait for the finale and s40

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
That was bad and Probst’s over reliance on “every1 has their own perception” when things get more complicated than Dan Foley-level controversy or even slightly less stark than the Varner-Zeke tribal is really disappointing.

That whole second hour felt like a stitched together Frankenstein hour of tv designed to convince me to ignore my lying eyes. Why was Dan allowed to repeatedly trout out his tearful “I’m sorry I glanced your shoulder while exiting the shelter” defense when Kellee and production explicitly told him the issue days ago?

Who is any of this for outside the Aarons of the world who want to put a kebab on everything by noting “they have a mother”?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's probably because Jamal and Jack are the only decent people on the season.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

That was bad and Probst’s over reliance on “every1 has their own perception” when things get more complicated than Dan Foley-level controversy or even slightly less stark than the Varner-Zeke tribal is really disappointing.

That whole second hour felt like a stitched together Frankenstein hour of tv designed to convince me to ignore my lying eyes. Why was Dan allowed to repeatedly trout out his tearful “I’m sorry I glanced your shoulder while exiting the shelter” defense when Kellee and production explicitly told him the issue days ago?

Who is any of this for outside the Aarons of the world who want to put a kebab on everything by noting “they have a mother”?

Dan acting like he had no idea days after production supposedly sat him down 1:1 is hosed up. I would loving hope production explicitly laid out the situation to him and its disgusting for either Dan or production depending on who is the bigger lying liar.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't think that the edit was slanting us towards supporting Dan or anything. I think he looked very bad. I think the shows was trying to do a "you decide" with it so they gave us the receipts and then showed us how it all played out. It turns out in played out in this disgusting way where Missy and Elizabeth blamed Janet to cover up the fact that they did call Dan a creeper, that Dan made himself into the victim of the situation, and that Aaron pulled that "if it was real I would have known about it" bullshit.

The problem with everything (besides people doing terrible things) was that Kellee got silenced by being voted out. She was the one very much upset by Dan, she was the one Missy and Elizabeth either confided in or manipulated to stir it up, and she was the one who could have directly called them out on their slimy bullshit. Janet only knew so much and was just trying to help the other girls out, Jamal was just trying to push back against Aaron's lovely misogyny, and Karishima was just there going "I don't think Janet's lying but as usual I don't really know what's happening." Meanwhile Kellee has to watch the whole thing unable to fill in the blanks and call Missy and Elizabeth out on their poo poo or say "Yes, Dan did make me uncomfortable!"

And ultimately the tribe just voted for the people trying to do the decent thing because they suck and that's how they ended up in that position.

resident posted:

Dan acting like he had no idea days after production supposedly sat him down 1:1 is hosed up. I would loving hope production explicitly laid out the situation to him and its disgusting for either Dan or production depending on who is the bigger lying liar.

Dan seems like the kind of guy who would be sat down and told "YOU should be more respectful because some people have complained, this is a direct warning" and interpret it as "Some other jackass did something and now I have to listen to it like all those other times."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 14, 2019

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I've only watched half the episode (or one of the two episodes? I guess?) and enough of the next bit that I can see how the chips are going to fall and all I can say is UGH

Can't wait to see Kellee return in a couple seasons I guess, and hopefully almost none of the rest of the cast who are left!!

I had noted that throughout the season they kept coming back to Dan being touchy-feely and I thought they were going to come back to it at some point but, and I repeat myself, UGHH.

edit: the fact that Dan is a talent manager specifically really grosses me out. He probably works with a lot of young women!!

editing again to add that I saw someone mention the "turkeyslap" incident from Australian Big Brother and I remember being pretty shocked by how little people cared about that at the time. They got kicked out of the house, but there was almost zero recognition from anyone that it was anything other than "a bit of fun." I was I think 11 or 12 at the time? So yeah, a great time to be a young girl in Australia!

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 14, 2019

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Dan thinking being a Hollywood talent manager exonerates him is the comical part of this. You look like the third Weinstein brother dude.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Man, how could you expect me of abuse? I'm a Catholic priest."

professor metis posted:

Can't wait to see Kellee return in a couple seasons I guess, and hopefully almost none of the rest of the cast who are left!!
I feel like I can say with confidence that the only people in this cast who have a chance in hell of ever being seen again on Survivor past the super awkward reunion are Kellee, Jamal, Elaine, and maybe Janet.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 14, 2019

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm probably only watching this season now for the good Sandra content

see:

https://twitter.com/SandraDTwine/status/1194811711523561472

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Next episode is going to open with the Sandra and Rob heads burned to the ground with an island of the idols pencil note nailed to a nearby tree that says “not like this” and neither will ever be heard from again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Next week Dan goes to Island of the Idols and is all "Sandra! I love you!" and things get awkward.

Two things I was reminded of listening to RHAP.

- Missy, Elizabeth, and Aaron were part of the original tribe who treated Karishima like she was the slime of the earth. And shockingly no one really seems to have had a serious problem with Karishima since the tribe swap separated them from her.

- loving Dean just got saved by Kellee and knew she was the target and didn't give her a heads up. I guess that move definitely didn't work.