Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Stellaris 2.6: RIP Verne Troyer and RIP ded gaem

e: and wiz too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Ya'll with your booksmarts on these good intelligent titles. pfff

Rip all my effort modding on this dead game and non-functional launcher :yikes:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Guilliman posted:

Ya'll with your booksmarts on these good intelligent titles. pfff

Rip all my effort modding on this dead game and non-functional launcher :yikes:

:(

Did you get any response to the feedback you gave?

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Aethernet posted:

:(

Did you get any response to the feedback you gave?

They're hard at work on it apparently. I wish we got some actual updates though, like a dev blog type thing. There are some glaring launcher issues that have to be fixed BEFORE the big federation update. The sooner they're fixed the less permanent damage to the modding scene tbh. I fear if the launcher mod tools arent improved before then a lot of people will give up on modding.

There's also 0 communication regarding some mod function requests. No one listens so it's kinda very demotivating to continue at times. I sometimes feel like the game is in a "push new content every 6 months" "maintenance" mod. Only new DLC, no fixes or improvements to the lesser base game stuff. There doesn't seem to be any time alocated to QA all the new things and even less time to go back and fix glaring infuriating bugs with base game stuff or previous DLCs.

Frankly, it reeks of management greed. It's reminding me of earlier EA. There doesn't seem to be time any more for the devs to love their creations. And people wonder why I wont try for a content creator position at PDX. The /pace/ sounds demoralizing to work in.

At least, that's how I feel the past few updates have been.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Guilliman posted:

I sometimes feel like the game is in a "push new content every 6 months" "maintenance" mod. Only new DLC, no fixes or improvements to the lesser base game stuff. There doesn't seem to be any time alocated to QA all the new things and even less time to go back and fix glaring infuriating bugs with base game stuff or previous DLCs.

"Sometimes"? That's absolutely the stage we're at. The last big change to a base game system was the Sector change, which was developed alongside DLC.

I think it's safe to assume most of the code guys were reassigned to CK3. Maybe some of those guys will be redistributed back to Stellaris when CK3 launches. More likely they'll get handed Stellaris 2: Stellar is Back

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Vengarr posted:

"Sometimes"? That's absolutely the stage we're at. The last big change to a base game system was the Sector change, which was developed alongside DLC.

I think it's safe to assume most of the code guys were reassigned to CK3. Maybe some of those guys will be redistributed back to Stellaris when CK3 launches. More likely they'll get handed Stellaris 2: Stellar is Back

Stellaris 2: How Stellaris Got Its Groove Back

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
i just discovered you can't paste passwords in the new launcher and i'm really mad about it

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
I see I made a good call in not buying any more of this game's DLC.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'd be way more excited for Juggernauts and Mega-Shipyards if megastructures weren't already such a chore.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I maintain that mega structures should be super-habitats that you build in over a period of decades with special job slots attributing to the construction process.

Give planets a great works slot type that does the same. So you might construct an orbital ring that spans the entire planet and acts as a defensive structure, or a mega dock for your fleets. Basically import the great works from CK2 as something the player can invest in over the course of an entire game.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

DD for origins is out

All 18; some require an expansion to be available:

quote:

Prosperous Unification: Start with 4 additional Pops and 2 additional Districts. (Available to everyone)

Mechanist: Start with 8 Pops being robots, and the ability to build more. (Utopia)

Syncretic Evolution: Start the game with 12 Pops being of another species. (Utopia)

Life-Seeded: Start on a Gaia World. (Apocalypse)

Post-Apocalyptic: Start on a Tomb World. (Apocalypse)

Remnants: Start on a Relic World. (Federations)

Shattered Ring: Start on a Shattered Ring World. Your empire lives on the only intact section of the ancient megastructure, and it is possible to repair most of the other sections. (Federations)

Void Dwellers: Start on a Habitat above your destroyed, former homeworld. Adept at living in habitats, and start with the technology to build new ones. (Federations)

Scion: Start as the vassal of a Fallen Empire. (Federations)

Galactic Doorstep: Start with a dormant Gateway in your home system. (Available to everyone)

Tree of Life: Only for Hive Minds. Start with a powerful Tree of Life on your homeworld. Disastrous if you would somehow lose control of it. (Federations)

On the Shoulder of Giants: Start with an Archaeological Site related to a mysterious benefactor. (Federations)

Calamitous Birth: Lithoid Only. Start with a Massive Crater on your Homeworld. You are also able to build Meteorite Colony Ships, which colonize planets in a more dramatic fashion. (Lithoids)

Resource Consolidation: Machines only. Start with a Machine World as your homeworld. (Synthetic Dawn)

Common Ground: Start with as the leader of a Galactic Union federation, and with The Federation tradition unlocked. (Federations)

Hegemon: Start with as the leader of a Hegemony federation, and with The Federation tradition unlocked. (Federations)

Doomsday: Your homeworld is doomed and it will explode after 64 years, so you need to find a new home for your species. (Federations)

Lost Colony: Another empire with the same species as you will exist somewhere in the galaxy. (Available to everyone)

Black Pants posted:

You missed Resource Consolidation, which was added after the initial list was posted, which starts you with a machine world.

Fixed, thanks

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 14, 2019

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
You missed Resource Consolidation, which was added after the initial list was posted, which starts you with a machine world.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This is all pretty solid stuff. Hype etc.

Vengarr posted:

It seems like we're getting at least the groundwork for a diplomacy revamp out of Federations, and the Origins change is a decently big deal. However, they do really, really need to do a full QA pass at some point. No new systems or content, just go over everything currently in the game, normalise and refactor and bugcheck and edge case check everything. But that's a huge hunk of work, and you need to be 100% happy with the base systems or you'll just be redoing it all again a year later, and the only moneymaking DLC you could develop anything alongside it would be purely cosmetic or you'd be introducing new bugs as you work out the old ones.

Demiurge4 posted:

I maintain that mega structures should be super-habitats that you build in over a period of decades with special job slots attributing to the construction process.

Give planets a great works slot type that does the same. So you might construct an orbital ring that spans the entire planet and acts as a defensive structure, or a mega dock for your fleets. Basically import the great works from CK2 as something the player can invest in over the course of an entire game.
I really want megastructures to be "more". Assigning governors or scientists to oversee their construction, a progress system that's more interesting and less irritating than "save up spend money press button wait repeat".

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Demiurge4 posted:

This sounds great tbh.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Origins are a thing I've been waiting for a long time. Wondering if they can limit civic selection though.

Splicer posted:

It seems like we're getting at least the groundwork for a diplomacy revamp out of Federations, and the Origins change is a decently big deal. However, they do really, really need to do a full QA pass at some point. No new systems or content, just go over everything currently in the game, normalise and refactor and bugcheck and edge case check everything. But that's a huge hunk of work, and you need to be 100% happy with the base systems or you'll just be redoing it all again a year later, and the only moneymaking DLC you could develop anything alongside it would be purely cosmetic or you'd be introducing new bugs as you work out the old ones.

I feel like you could pretty safely do another Distant Stars type content pack along with this. Sure there might be bugs in the new events and anomalies but that's less likely to spill over into established systems.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I really want to know more about Calamitous Birth. I love the concept but I want to know what it actually does.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I really want to know more about Calamitous Birth. I love the concept but I want to know what it actually does.

I hope you get to just play as Mycons, that'd be cool

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I assume you crash into it for instant colony with a crater blocker and bad times for any local presentients

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

It reminds me of the background for Silicoids in MO3. (They were born from the shards of a life-eating death crystal smashing into their planet. You know, one of the ones that was a galactic menace in the earlier games.)

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Combining Calamitous Birth with Terrorvore sounds amazing. You're a race of horrifying rock monsters that expand by smashing meteorites into other worlds and then consuming them to make more meteorites.

I will be very disappointed if they can't just ignore ground combat by firing enough meteors at inhabited planets.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aethernet posted:

I will be very disappointed if they can't just ignore ground combat by firing enough meteors at inhabited planets.
Be prepared to be disappointed.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Be prepared to be disappointed.

2.6 thread title done

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Aethernet posted:

2.6 thread title done
yep do it

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I really had a lot of fun playing as a terravore until a FE awakened and was the type to hate all sorts of war, hated me for genociding the sleeping FE (and half the galaxy), and proceeded to pick me apart system by system because I only had four fleets and it takes years to fly halfway across the galaxy.

Good times, lessons learned. I'll probably wait until the next update to try again.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hegemon and common ground seem like the strongest origins.

Having two permanent allies or vassals right from game start, and assuming they start with all the infrastructure you'd expect from a capital world for both of them, means you effectively have an advanced start ai of a federation, minus the extra tech.

The main worry I'd have is running out of colonization space, on the other hand, expansion could be incredibly quick between the three of you.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Aethernet posted:

Combining Calamitous Birth with Terrorvore sounds amazing. You're a race of horrifying rock monsters that expand by smashing meteorites into other worlds and then consuming them to make more meteorites.

Ah, the Lavos background.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I've been out of the loop for a while, did they ever buff Habitats after they removed tiles? I remember they used to suck a lot and that makes the void dweller origin less appealing.

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Guilliman posted:

They're hard at work on it apparently. I wish we got some actual updates though, like a dev blog type thing. There are some glaring launcher issues that have to be fixed BEFORE the big federation update. The sooner they're fixed the less permanent damage to the modding scene tbh. I fear if the launcher mod tools arent improved before then a lot of people will give up on modding.

There's also 0 communication regarding some mod function requests. No one listens so it's kinda very demotivating to continue at times. I sometimes feel like the game is in a "push new content every 6 months" "maintenance" mod. Only new DLC, no fixes or improvements to the lesser base game stuff. There doesn't seem to be any time alocated to QA all the new things and even less time to go back and fix glaring infuriating bugs with base game stuff or previous DLCs.

Frankly, it reeks of management greed. It's reminding me of earlier EA. There doesn't seem to be time any more for the devs to love their creations. And people wonder why I wont try for a content creator position at PDX. The /pace/ sounds demoralizing to work in.

Hey, you are doing a great job, your mod is awesome. While I do not wish for you to burn out, I do hope you can continie with it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Guilliman posted:

This is the general sense I got from talking to people at PDXcon too. Paradox sounds like a lovely employer.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Clarste posted:

I've been out of the loop for a while, did they ever buff Habitats after they removed tiles? I remember they used to suck a lot and that makes the void dweller origin less appealing.

When you build them over planets with resources you can build districts to extract them. So if you build over a planet that you could use a space mine to get minerals you can build mineral mining districts. You can actually get a pretty good haul out of uncolonizable planets that way and they are good for making the best use of your territory.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nitrousoxide posted:

When you build them over planets with resources you can build districts to extract them. So if you build over a planet that you could use a space mine to get minerals you can build mineral mining districts. You can actually get a pretty good haul out of uncolonizable planets that way and they are good for making the best use of your territory.
The ability to chose where to put it is mindbogglingly obtuse though. You can pick some planets, but not all. No asteroids, maybe some random useless moons but not the moon with the Volatile Motes deposit.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
That Ringworld origin sounds like an exciting trap for new players, because unless it's a special magic segment it won't have any mining districts and your early game mineral production will be terrible.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Energy will also be a huge problem. I'm not sure how that start could work unless they added something. Same goes for a lot of other starts, they seem pretty boring unless they add something else which they very well might.

I think relic world might actually be the best of the "weird starting places" from that list? Habitat seems like it'd be kinda rough going to start due to minerals/alloys.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Special building that turns alloys and consumer goods scavenged from precursor ruins back into minerals.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

For the Habitat start, it could start over a mineral planet so you have a mine. For the Ring World they could change it so that it can have mines (because there is all that planetary matter that goes into building it or something).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

For the Habitat start, it could start over a mineral planet so you have a mine. For the Ring World they could change it so that it can have mines (because there is all that planetary matter that goes into building it or something).

For habitats it'd have to be combined with some sort of huge buff to hydroponics farms as well as starting with the tech to build them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I wonder if they are close to a release with them announcing all of the Origins? Now I am going to have a hard(er) time playing knowing that such a big and cool change is coming.

hobbesmaster posted:

For habitats it'd have to be combined with some sort of huge buff to hydroponics farms as well as starting with the tech to build them.
Oohhh yeah, you cannot build farms on Habitats because :reasons:, I forgot (because I never build them or if I do I use them to farm pops and nothing else).

lol

Maybe they are re-working Habitats again?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I think it could work if you gave made hydroponics farms provide 4 or 5 farmer jobs?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

2.6 thread title done

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

Special building that turns alloys and consumer goods scavenged from precursor ruins back into minerals.
They said you'll be able to repair "most" sections, so maybe one section will be all busted up but space minable for energy and minerals