Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Rent-A-Cop posted:

And kids can't forget to bring their fingers to school.

Still creepy tho.

creepy and totally wasteful when you add up the cost of the scanners vs just loving giving the kids lunches

the insistence on making kids pay for the basic lunch is asinine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

And kids can't forget to bring their fingers to school.

Still creepy tho.

They're also a bitch to set up. I used to work for a company that put together point-of-sale setups for school cafeterias, and a good number of them ordered these. MotherFUCKER were they tough to get working. Plus, the people I set them up for did not understand that in order to make them work as advertised you would first need to catalogue student fingerprints, because otherwise, how was the point-of-sale program going to recognize the fingerprint? :doh:

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah this checks out

ghostintheshellwritten

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

SocketWrench posted:

Not like this is surprising. This is the way wealthy do things; Throw money at it till it fixes itself. I'd be more shocked if he hadn't done this

I'll be shocked if a large number of those purchases hadn't come from his father's re-election campaign coffers or other closely related PACs. There are apparently loose rules about buying your own books with campaign funds, but not your kids'.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My kid inputs a 4 digit code, he's done this since he was 5. Fingerprints are not necessary

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

WoodrowSkillson posted:

We aren't going to have a revolution in the US unless things get much, much, worse. Assad AA gunning people in the streets worse, literal mass starvation worse. Any change that happens will be reform, not revolution. We can radically change a lot of things, and make life a whole lot better for many millions of minorities, LGBT, impoverished, and opporessed people, but true revolution and the actual dethroning of the elites ain't happening.

Revolution is built into our system. That's what democracy is when there are radical shifts in policy. The Trump administration getting into power was essentially a soft coup not only on the republican party, but on America itself. Our democracy is old enough and robust enough that we have defenders not only of our rights, but of individuals and he's been ineffective at creating the worst cruelties and has largely been losing steam. That was never, ever guaranteed that he'd fail. It was only people working against him, his failure to understand the system through attracting talent and scaring away talented individuals that he ran out of steam.

When we think revolution, most think bloodshed and violence. I do not. In fact, non-violent revolutions are more successful because the barrier to entry is lower. The lowest barrier of them all would be an election of a candidate who actually gives a poo poo. Sanders is calling for mass action if he is elected because he will not be able to get congress to do what he wants to course correct out of our current spiral into decline and very possibly death due to climate change. That is revolutionary. It challenges the powers that be for needed change that needed to happen decades ago. It ends the age of unrestrained corporate power. Through decentralization of power and capital, we can begin to unfuck our situation.

That is revolutionary change. Not from the barrel of a gun, but through solidarity with your fellow people. I'm not interested in dropping guillotines on necks because creating that kind of environment tends to lead towards bad ends not just for those being slain, but for the culture when you supercharge it with violence. To discharge all of that pent up anger through violence not only drives regular people away, not only can it be hijacked by evil people if it didn't start that way, not only makes us worse people, but discharging our stress through cruelty relieves that tension before the job is done. The odds of us getting what we need plummets dramatically. Political violence has a purpose. Without antifascists on the streets, fascists will consistently go nuts and beat the poo poo out of people, spreading fear and chaos to try and rule. We saw that in Charlottesville. We see that in Portland.

Violence caused through nihilism, historically, is a political movement going through a kind of failure state. Mass coordinated or even uncoordinated violence is a different story. But individuals killing people and basically themselves through a kind of suicide/homicide impulse like the fascists are doing right now is a clear sign that they're desperate. Historically, that desperation is the last gasp before a movement fails like what happened with the Black Panthers and The Weather Underground. They turned to terrorism before they were eventually destroyed. Now the tolerance for what I'll generously call "right wing activism" is much higher because our media watchdogs are largely trash, but what they want is an absence of tension and the fascists will not give that to them. They are full of violent tension and frequently express it through violence.

Violence is a failure state. It is the last argument when all other discourse breaks down and not a particularly effective one save for very, very select occasions. It is better to act in solidarity with one another to achieve shared goals and interdict violence before it happens through non-violent direct action. Not just because it is morally right, but because it leads to effective change.

I believe that the Sanders campaign is about the last hope for us for a relatively peaceful transition away from the age of Reagan before things get bad enough that we actually do go out into the streets. I really, really don't want to do that without support because then the mask comes off and the state will use violence to try and disperse people.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 14, 2019

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ice Phisherman posted:

When we think revolution, most think bloodshed and violence. I do not.

Revolution means the total overthrow of the established order. You are not removing the established social elite of the US without violence, full stop. Redefining revolution to mean some lesser reorganization of the social order just muddies the issue, since the vast majority of people calling for revolution are not calling for radical reform, and that indeed was exactly what I was responding to.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Why do they also pair this horrible story with a picture of an unrelated child eating the saddest looking hot meal?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

John Wick of Dogs posted:

My kid inputs a 4 digit code, he's done this since he was 5. Fingerprints are not necessary

Fingerprint scanning sounds better if you think of it as a 1 digit code.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
The amount of money spent on the system could feed the whole school for a year. Full stop.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

BlueBlazer posted:

The amount of money spent on the system could feed the whole school for a year. Full stop.

But then we wouldn't be able to punish the children.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ManBoyChef posted:

feels very dystopian to me.

Biometric data is better because it's way easier for adults (never mind kids) to lose a card versus lose a finger. Going away from informal economy with paper money to a fully formalized economy with electronic transactions isn't disytopian unless you're of the opinion that we shouldn't be collecting taxes on all those informal economy transactions that currently evade them.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

rkajdi posted:

Biometric data is better because it's way easier for adults (never mind kids) to lose a card versus lose a finger. Going away from informal economy with paper money to a fully formalized economy with electronic transactions isn't disytopian unless you're of the opinion that we shouldn't be collecting taxes on all those informal economy transactions that currently evade them.

no one wants to be taxed on giving their friend 50 bucks for helping do some home improvement project and that kind of tax would be predominantly regressive anyway so gently caress that

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BlueBlazer posted:

The equipment, the time spent on accounting/collection, another entire person to sit at the end of the lunch line billing the children, yeah gently caress it, just give the loving food away and probably save money in the end.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Just reading this article about health insurance and cancer that begins, "It’s been over a dozen years since Susanne LeClair of West Palm Beach, Florida was first diagnosed with cancer and she’s been fighting ever since. Now she, like many other Americans facing life-threatening illness, is bankrupt despite having health insurance." and there's a really disturbing sentence in here:

quote:

Bankruptcy can also make it difficult to find employment given that many employers will disqualify a candidate with a bankruptcy filing found from a background check.

I've been tattooing since before the last recession, and before that I worked at the BBC doing IT servicedesk for about 6 years, so I haven't experienced the American job market since trying to get a seasonal job at Best Buy in 2009 and being rejected for refusing to pass a Meyers-Briggs personality test, but this is just hosed. In the UK I was hired by the television company at 22 with basic computer experience, a whole lot of charismatic bullshitting experience, a rudimentary Windows aptitude test, no suggestion of anything like a drug test or a check of my finances, given an admin account that could access pretty much anything on any server on the network, and paid close to £40,000 for it.

Meanwhile, the average American worker trying to get literally any form of work including from something like a 5-person small business now has to have good credit, as well as good "personality", and good after-work habits, and good health to even be considered?!

Kale
May 14, 2010

Considering Republicans try to rig elections all the time and even tried to game Dancing With The Stars in their preferred contestants favor I'm not really surprised. It's just a cult with deep pockets that managed to hijack one of United States two major political parties and it's propaganda wing at Fox News, nothing to see here.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BlueBlazer posted:

how much do you think this system costs? it looks like an off-the-shelf reader. i suspect it either comes "free" with the merchant account or is sold by the merchant account for a few hundred bucks at most

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

If anyone says thier vote does not matter

https://mobile.twitter.com/Action2getherNJ/status/1194954016394022912

GOP held this for 20 years

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

WoodrowSkillson posted:

creepy and totally wasteful when you add up the cost of the scanners vs just loving giving the kids lunches

I mean, the student lunch checkout stuff isn't just for money tracking. It also is inventory for the food and like, alerts on kids. Because kids love to eat things that make them die and having the kid have to check out the food so a big red screen can come up saying "if this kid eats X he'll die and everything on this plate has X in it"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

^I think quite a lot of schools try to be [No Peanut Zone] so as to avoid this necessity

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

If anyone says thier vote does not matter

immediately smack them in their god damned stupid face :mad:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

GOP held this for 20 years

Tch, what a waste of investing in an obviously hopeless race.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, the student lunch checkout stuff isn't just for money tracking. It also is inventory for the food and like, alerts on kids. Because kids love to eat things that make them die and having the kid have to check out the food so a big red screen can come up saying "if this kid eats X he'll die and everything on this plate has X in it"

give the standard, nutritious lunch away, and make the kids pay for chips, soda, and anything extra that is in addition to the normal lunch.

they managed inventory without fingerprint scanners and can do so without them now.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There are less dystopia garbage ways of doing this than PLEASE LOOK INTO THE RETINAL SCANNER SMALL CHILD SO WE CAN DETERMINE IF YOU CAN AFFORD THIS LUNCH AND WHETHER IT IS OPTIMAL FOR YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
[

Meanwhile, the average American worker trying to get literally any form of work including from something like a 5-person small business now has to have good credit, as well as good "personality", and good after-work habits, and good health to even be considered?!
[/quote]

Also your employers want access to your social media accounts so they can evaluate whether your politics present a problem for the company. As I understand it it's now quite standard practice for prospective employers to ask you the login to your social media accounts so that they can browse around a bit.

Not having an extensive social media profile is seen as very suspicious and will shut you out of most non-menial labor jobs.

Also most jobs expect you to somehow both be young and have at least 15 years of verifiable experience in your industry

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

i am harry posted:

Land of the free baby

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

i am harry posted:

It's almost like unrestrained capitalism is designed to gently caress over the poor? States like NY and CA are doing good things for worker protections like preventing employers from asking about previous salary but Florida is a hellworld.

The funny thing is these protections are good for business BUT most businesses don't actually employ anyone, everything is moving to subcontractors or gig economy type situations. Subs are so fractured and operate with basically no margins and are at the behest of the company they work for, asking for raises or more money for healthcare is not going to win them more contracts.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

ok boomer

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Prester Jane posted:

As I understand it it's now quite standard practice for prospective employers to ask you the login to your social media accounts so that they can browse around a bit.

lol no it's not

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

i am harry posted:

Just reading this article about health insurance and cancer that begins, "It’s been over a dozen years since Susanne LeClair of West Palm Beach, Florida was first diagnosed with cancer and she’s been fighting ever since. Now she, like many other Americans facing life-threatening illness, is bankrupt despite having health insurance." and there's a really disturbing sentence in here:

I've been tattooing since before the last recession, and before that I worked at the BBC doing IT servicedesk for about 6 years, so I haven't experienced the American job market since trying to get a seasonal job at Best Buy in 2009 and being rejected for refusing to pass a Meyers-Briggs personality test, but this is just hosed. In the UK I was hired by the television company at 22 with basic computer experience, a whole lot of charismatic bullshitting experience, a rudimentary Windows aptitude test, no suggestion of anything like a drug test or a check of my finances, given an admin account that could access pretty much anything on any server on the network, and paid close to £40,000 for it.

For what it's worth it isn't as common as they're suggesting. It is something I've heard of happening though, and it is gross, but the 5-person small business isn't probably going to bother. Only places I've heard of that do that are huge mega corps.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

Also your employers want access to your social media accounts so they can evaluate whether your politics present a problem for the company. As I understand it it's now quite standard practice for prospective employers to ask you the login to your social media accounts so that they can browse around a bit.

Not having an extensive social media profile is seen as very suspicious and will shut you out of most non-menial labor jobs.

Also most jobs expect you to somehow both be young and have at least 15 years of verifiable experience in your industry

This would be very industry specific as I have never heard nor seen of this occurring outside of stories online, normally associated with silicon valley startups and similar techbro oriented companies. I work for a multinational car company and we don't do anything like that at all. The only social media anyone in business cares about is linkedin, since the vast majority of young professionals know better than to have their facebook or twitter be linked to themselves, or publicly visible at all.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

BlueBlazer posted:

This kind of technology is commonplace and not very expensive at all.

Every kid needs to be provided with a lunch and there are a bunch of ways to get the money to do that, but the cost of this system is probably a few thousand bucks.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WoodrowSkillson posted:

no one wants to be taxed on giving their friend 50 bucks for helping do some home improvement project and that kind of tax would be predominantly regressive anyway so gently caress that

gently caress off with this. The majority of the informal transactions I've seen are businesses that are willing to accept cash and just have it float off the books. No sales or income tax on it. And yeah, not paying taxes on your labor is also theft from the state. If we're going to tax income, people don't get to set aside some of it because they don't feel like paying their share. A correction should be done shifting the tax burden upward by changing the tax law, instead of just allowing random groups of people to under-report income.

But I'm also the person that gladly pays use tax on the online stuff I buy. Our tax bill is how we pay for our civilization. This is high school civics level stuff.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

More NJ news

Two democrat incumbents looked like GOP would flip but after late counted votes the dems won re election

https://mobile.twitter.com/DLCC/status/1195002745733943296

https://mobile.twitter.com/DLCC/status/1194998819798298626

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i have never ever heard of an employer asking for social media passwords and that would be incredibly stupid to do. also i have never heard of a job being upset an applicant had a low to minimal social media profile unless it's something like marketing or PR where a social media profile is obviously relevant. employers usually love employees who don't post their thoughts in public 24/7!

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

No...no it isn't. I have been working a desk job straight out of high school and I have never been asked that and I change jobs like once a year. No one gives a poo poo about my lack of social media presence.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

evilweasel posted:

how much do you think this system costs? it looks like an off-the-shelf reader. i suspect it either comes "free" with the merchant account or is sold by the merchant account for a few hundred bucks at most

Which merchant do you think is handing out a free inventory control and point-of-sale system in this scenario? The school? The subcontractor operating the cafeteria? The subcontractor the cafeteria orders its food from?

Beyond that, even if there were a merchant was a profit motive for handing out such a free system- point of sale and inventory control are massively profitable aspects of logistics where corporations can make a ton of money both on the system itself as well as on constantly maintaining the necessary IT infrastructure/database.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

friendbot2000 posted:

No...no it isn't. I have been working a desk job straight out of high school and I have never been asked that and I change jobs like once a year. No one gives a poo poo about my lack of social media presence.

evilweasel posted:

i have never ever heard of an employer asking for social media passwords and that would be incredibly stupid to do. also i have never heard of a job being upset an applicant had a low to minimal social media profile unless it's something like marketing or PR where a social media profile is obviously relevant. employers usually love employees who don't post their thoughts in public 24/7!

lol yeah no i'm right in the middle of a job hunt and deleted all of my social media presence 24 months ago and it's not been a problem for getting any job offers.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Prester Jane posted:

Which merchant do you think is handing out a free inventory control and point-of-sale system in this scenario? The school? The subcontractor operating the cafeteria? The subcontractor the cafeteria orders its food from?

Beyond that, even if there were a merchant was a profit motive for handing out such a free system- point of sale and inventory control are massively profitable aspects of logistics where corporations can make a ton of money both on the system itself as well as on constantly maintaining the necessary IT infrastructure/database.

a "merchant account" is what you need to accept credit card payments. you will be contracting with a company who supplies the merchant account, and charges you a percentage of your sales. i forget if its the US or Europe where the point of sale systems are usually rented rather than sold, but it would be relatively easy for the merchant account supplier to provide "free" point of sale systems and increase their rake.

either way, fingerprint readers are now a commodity item (they've been included in laptops for like a decade or more now) so adding one to a standard credit card reader would likely not add a whole lot to the cost of the point of sale system

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I google names of applicants. I also didn't interview someone because of their racist screeds on their facebook account. The presence of a basic LinkedIn profile can for sure help easing some concerns. I'm not saying it's good or right, but we like to know as much as we can about a person before hiring them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

CmdrRiker posted:

Why do they also pair this horrible story with a picture of an unrelated child eating the saddest looking hot meal?

Man I would kill for a tomato soup, grilled cheese, celery combo right now.