Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

life is a joke posted:

Why didn;t they just do a regular Halloween one last month?

lol they did

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Alright, the new one has a decent first act where they go to the school play and the kids wrote the plays, so it's plays of video game streamers and the masked singer. Decent gags. Someone else is doing that dead lady's voices, and it's noticeable with Martin but not with Sherri and Terri.

This leads to Marge becoming a lumberjack and the Simpsons going to Portland. They drive past a bunch of actual streets Groening named characters after.

It's kinda OK though. Marge gets jokes and motivation.

It's still pretty bad.

I proclaim this one not offensively bad.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Turkey Bart and Lisa’s faces are the perfect expression for why isn’t this loving show cancelled yet? Please, for the love of gently caress just let it die.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

excuse me, what the gently caress

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

PostNouveau posted:

Alright, the new one has a decent first act where they go to the school play and the kids wrote the plays, so it's plays of video game streamers and the masked singer. Decent gags. Someone else is doing that dead lady's voices, and it's noticeable with Martin but not with Sherri and Terri.

This leads to Marge becoming a lumberjack and the Simpsons going to Portland. They drive past a bunch of actual streets Groening named characters after.

It's kinda OK though. Marge gets jokes and motivation.

It's still pretty bad.

Go to a neurologist

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

that's actually kind of funny

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

ulex minor posted:

Dont praise the machine.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Don't fall for this poo poo, people

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

ulex minor posted:

that episode (s13e03, "homer the moe") will turn 18 years old next week

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
A coworker of mine has a movie review blog, and he's reviewing Simpsons seasons as he watches them blind. He says he's only seen random episodes, none of which have been before season 15 or so.

He skipped half of season 1, but seems to be enjoying season 2 so far. In his blog post about this, someone commented "Good luck pushing through the early years."

I can understand not being hot on season 1, but the idea of someone thinking the early years are a low point is loving decaying my brain.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

CodfishCartographer posted:

A coworker of mine has a movie review blog, and he's reviewing Simpsons seasons as he watches them blind. He says he's only seen random episodes, none of which have been before season 15 or so.

He skipped half of season 1, but seems to be enjoying season 2 so far. In his blog post about this, someone commented "Good luck pushing through the early years."

I can understand not being hot on season 1, but the idea of someone thinking the early years are a low point is loving decaying my brain.

It's probably because more casual viewers don't really know when the good episodes are from. When they randomly see a season 1 episode they probably assume it was like that for a long time.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
https://mobile.twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1195016894962470912

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1195495267895787520

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Gonna take 5 months to rasterize those black bars

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They'll fix it by chopping off the left and right sides

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Patty (or selma) gets a little worked up watching Marge cut wood. It's weird

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

PostNouveau posted:

Gonna take 5 months to rasterize those black bars

They want people to stick around past the trial most likely

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CodfishCartographer posted:

but the idea of someone thinking the early years are a low point is loving decaying my brain.

Can only assume that some people think the early seasons are boring as there isn't 30 gags a minute.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

Someone else is doing that dead lady's voices, and it's noticeable with Martin but not with Sherri and Terri.

For some reason this bothers me more than it should. Show a modicum of respect and just retire the characters, they’re not important enough to keep around as zombies :colbert:

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

NiceGuy posted:

For some reason this bothers me more than it should. Show a modicum of respect and just retire the characters, they’re not important enough to keep around as zombies :colbert:

If the show had evolved at all and maybe did something logical like age the characters X years, maybe they could've invigorated a lot of the voice cast with fresh people.

On that note, was this something they ever considered? I remember being weirded out by even some of their earliest stories where they place Lisa or Bart into scenarios well beyond their suited ages like when Lisa dated Nelson. Anyway, it's not something I'd want them to do now, as it's about 15-20 years too late. Even if the best Simpsons writers had stayed on, they'd probably have run out of good ideas for these characters in their stasis a long time ago.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They had that period where they were making some changes to the show like Barney getting sober and Milhouse's parents breaking up but IIRC the next showrunner hated that stuff and undid it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
They can't retired characters because they apparently can't develop new ones.

iamsosmrt posted:

If the show had evolved at all and maybe did something logical like age the characters X years, maybe they could've invigorated a lot of the voice cast with fresh people.

On that note, was this something they ever considered? I remember being weirded out by even some of their earliest stories where they place Lisa or Bart into scenarios well beyond their suited ages like when Lisa dated Nelson. Anyway, it's not something I'd want them to do now, as it's about 15-20 years too late. Even if the best Simpsons writers had stayed on, they'd probably have run out of good ideas for these characters in their stasis a long time ago.

Someone wrote a think piece after the "Holidays of Future Passed" like 7 years ago that argued for aging the characters up to that future. It probably wouldn't be as bad as it currently is.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

When’s the last time they developed a new reoccurring side character? The judge that’s played by the Malcom in the Middle mom?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

When’s the last time they developed a new reoccurring side character? The judge that’s played by the Malcom in the Middle mom?

Wikipedia's list seems weirdly incomplete, but the last recurring character on it is Francesca, Sideshow Bob's Italian wife who debuted in 2005.

Did the judge come back? I don't recall her being more than a single-episode cameo.

Bart has had a few recurring teachers since Krabapple died, but they're all completely unnotable.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

What about that adopted girl from China that Selma adopted that was based around the writer's real adopted daughter from China and when he triumphantly revealed it to her was shocked that she wasnt jumping up and down excited to ve the inspiration of beloved Simpsons character Ling Bouvier

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Doesn’t comic book guy marry some Japanese girl and she becomes a reoccurring character too? That sounds terrible.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Doesn’t comic book guy marry some Japanese girl and she becomes a reoccurring character too? That sounds terrible.

Ah good call. Kimiko. Debuted in 2014.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Welp, Simpsons world has been shut down for Disney+. Does anyone know of the episode commentaries are available on disney+? That was the best feature of Simpsons world.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The commentaries where they bring their infant children are less good

I’m sure the kids are old enough now to be totally embarrassed by it

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

The commentaries where they bring their infant children are less good

I’m sure the kids are old enough now to be totally embarrassed by it

Definitely, but a ton o the commentaries are really interesting and often very funny too. They're really nice ways to watch episodes I've seen a million times. Or were, anyways.

Sure, all the nerds on the internet complaining that a joke or two are cut off via the crappy aspect ratio once every four or five episodes, but nobody's complaining that we lost hundreds of episodes of dvd commentary.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The commentaries are informative and interesting depending who’s doing them. Also interesting when you can tell some audio has been cut for legal purposes. In one of the early ones James L Brooks starts off with “it was a great deal for Fox...” (having a number one show/phenomenon and getting to pay for much less due to how the show was scheduled against Cosby) then a long silence where you just know he’s railing against the management for loving them over in the early years

Now of course the show is literally an unstoppable money printing machine so I’m sure there are no hurt feelings.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Milo and POTUS posted:

Patty (or selma) gets a little worked up watching Marge cut wood. It's weird

ew what the gently caress

PostNouveau posted:

Ah good call. Kimiko. Debuted in 2014.

since i am old as dirt, my guess was manjula :corsair:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

One thing that would make introducing new characters a difficult thing to do and that's the art style. Any time that they now try to do one-time characters or celebrity appearances, they draw those people in that kind of new "realistic" style of the Simpsons. The regular characters now look like mutant freaks compared to newer ones and any attempt to incorporate one of those new characters into the main canon would probably look and feel offputting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
In the new one, the Simpsons go to Costa Rica with the Van Houtens, the Hibbards, Superintendent Chalmers and his daughter Shauna, and Patty and her new Southern girlfriend. Homer bonds with with Patty's girlfriend, who turns out to be a drunk glutton like him. Lisa overhears how expensive the trip is and spends the whole time anxious about the cost. They discover Kirk's family actually owns the place and he's been ripping off everyone he invites there for years.

Bad ep, don't watch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The lowest point of The Simpsons was Brother Can You Spare Two Dimes by assuming a CEO could ever become homeless after tanking a company rather than getting a billion dollar parachute and doing it all over at a different one.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The lowest point of The Simpsons was Brother Can You Spare Two Dimes by assuming a CEO could ever become homeless after tanking a company rather than getting a billion dollar parachute and doing it all over at a different one.

I think he was the owner (now thats an archaic concept in itself) but the point stands that its a particularly dumb episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I went to Popeyes today, for the first time in my life cause the hype finally died down and I wanted to try ~the sandwich~

I put on The Simpsons while eating it and ironically the next episode to start up was A Streetcar Named Marge.

The sandwich was alright. Nowhere near stabbing a man over.