Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

The other issue with Ryoma not knowing about this is that Hoshido is supposed to have great spies. Hell, his right hand man and woman are ninjas!

Unsurprisingly, a few people have decided he's just acting like he didn't know to keep on Chrome's good side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

slink_bot posted:

Oh wow, they're giving some actual reasons about why Nohr is so lovely, who'da thunk it?

Unfortunately, they went too far, leading to my earlier complaints about the sheer implausibility of Nohr being capable of having an army at all, let alone one capable of stalemating or even overwhelming Hoshido's. I mean, the place has NOTHING. Why would anyone want to live there?! Again: It's like moving into a desert, then complaining about it.

Anyone care to take any guesses about who the spy turns out to be? Me, I'm kinda disqualified from participating, since I actually remember who it is.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

CptWedgie posted:

Anyone care to take any guesses about who the spy turns out to be? Me, I'm kinda disqualified from participating, since I actually remember who it is.

Takumi.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
As others have said, Hoshido supposedly has great spies. They even managed to infiltrate Nohr and heroically kidnap Azura. There's 0 excuse that they couldn't find out anything about Nohr's reasons for war during intelligence gathering even if incidentally to looking for battleplans/royals to kidnap.

e: I'm gonna guess the spy is Silas, because the story's bad enough I can imagine they just went as straightforward with it as they possibly could

e2: wait actually gently caress, Silas was with them almost the whole time! couldn't he have said 'hey, maybe you could win the hearts and minds of our people if you offered us some edibles' up until now?

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Nov 14, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My guess is Chome, he’s probably somehow blurting information to Nohr without realizing he’s the spy.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
It'll obviously be Felicia, the greatest betrayal.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's sadly impossible the way the game works (ie you don't have to have them), but imagine if it was one of the kids. Most of them (should) have abandonment issues, we've seen them accidentally find themselves in Chomeworld or be invaded from other places, it wouldn't have been impossible story-wise for one of them to get contacted by an agent of Nohr and be convinced to exact revenge on their neglectful parents.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Zanzibar Ham posted:

It's sadly impossible the way the game works (ie you don't have to have them), but imagine if it was one of the kids. Most of them (should) have abandonment issues, we've seen them accidentally find themselves in Chomeworld or be invaded from other places, it wouldn't have been impossible story-wise for one of them to get contacted by an agent of Nohr and be convinced to exact revenge on their neglectful parents.

This would work in a situation like Awakening where one child is guaranteed to appear regardless of player input.

Here, not so much.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

MightyPretenders posted:

The other issue with Ryoma not knowing about this is that Hoshido is supposed to have great spies. Hell, his right hand man and woman are ninjas!

Unsurprisingly, a few people have decided he's just acting like he didn't know to keep on Chrome's good side.

It's frustrating how much Ryoma sucks and no one in the main story ever calls him out on that. His kid has a beef against him but that's only from Ryoma being a negligent dad and getting Shiro is entirely optional. Hell, doesn't Ryoma also gently caress over Hoshido because he had a kid and never even bothered to teach his heir how to rule an entire kingdom?

Zanzibar Ham posted:

e: I'm gonna guess the spy is Silas, because the story's bad enough I can imagine they just went as straightforward with it as they possibly could

e2: wait actually gently caress, Silas was with them almost the whole time! couldn't he have said 'hey, maybe you could win the hearts and minds of our people if you offered us some edibles' up until now?

Silas would at least be somewhat interesting. He's some random stranger who went up to an amnesiac Chome claiming they were childhood buddies, so thinking he's the spy would make sense. In the hands of a better writer, we might get a compelling reveal that he gaslighted Chome into believing they grew up together so Nohr could have a spy within Chome's army or something.

But this is Fates, so I'm sure the spy reveal would be much more stupid and/or disappointing.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
By that same logic, Scarlett would be an interesting choice. All we were told about her is that she lives in a vassal state ruled by Nohr, and she definitely wants to rebel and not betray us like Maid #2 did.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm going to be heartbroken if it's Otto. Mozu vouched for him and everything!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zanzibar Ham posted:

As others have said, Hoshido supposedly has great spies. They even managed to infiltrate Nohr and heroically kidnap Azura. There's 0 excuse that they couldn't find out anything about Nohr's reasons for war during intelligence gathering even if incidentally to looking for battleplans/royals to kidnap.

The thing you have to learn about Ryoma is that he, like most of the cast, is kind of an idiot.

On a very slightly more serious note, it goes back to the writers wanting to keep things as black and white as possible. If Hosido knew about Nohr being driven by desperation to feed its populace and continued to refuse aid, that would make them somewhat questionable. We can't be having that, so Hosido has to be totally ignorant on the motives of their enemy and have no self-reflection whatsoever after beyond promising to magically fix it later. Just ignore the village of ninjas who apparently have no idea what their jobs are beyond throwing knives or the Nohr defectors who absolutely should have been held for questioning. The writers would really like if if you just ignored all the negative implications of their terrible story and just keep telling yourself "Hosido good, Nohr bad".

And this is still the "best" story of all the Fates games.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Geostomp posted:

The thing you have to learn about Ryoma is that he, like most of the cast, is kind of an idiot.

On a very slightly more serious note, it goes back to the writers wanting to keep things as black and white as possible. If Hosido knew about Nohr being driven by desperation to feed its populace and continued to refuse aid, that would make them somewhat questionable. We can't be having that, so Hosido has to be totally ignorant on the motives of their enemy and have no self-reflection whatsoever after beyond promising to magically fix it later. Just ignore the village of ninjas who apparently have no idea what their jobs are beyond throwing knives or the Nohr defectors who absolutely should have been held for questioning. The writers would really like if if you just ignored all the negative implications of their terrible story and just keep telling yourself "Hosido good, Nohr bad".

And this is still the "best" story of all the Fates games.

Okay, but why are you singling out Ryoma (note that he's the only one you mention by name, even though I didn't refer to him at all in my post)? He wasn't even the reigning monarch until Mikoto got killed. While he should know better, so does practically everyone else. The ninjas are dumber here since they should have learned this by now and Silas (e: and Felicia, and the butler guy) has had all those years in the Deeprealm to tell anyone anything about Nohr's troubles.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Okay, but why are you singling out Ryoma (note that he's the only one you mention by name, even though I didn't refer to him at all in my post)? He wasn't even the reigning monarch until Mikoto got killed. While he should know better, so does practically everyone else. The ninjas are dumber here since they should have learned this by now and Silas (e: and Felicia, and the butler guy) has had all those years in the Deeprealm to tell anyone anything about Nohr's troubles.

My bad, I was looking at two posts when I wrote that. I kind of blended the two mentally without realizing.

As for the Deeprealm castle, the game really, really wants you to forget it even exists as far as the plot if concerned. Sure, that'd still leave them with a significant amount of time to inform each other without it, but being able to leave the normal flow of time at will shatters the plot that's already falling apart.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 14, 2019

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frog: new video
Ep 78 - Chapter 22 - Hidden Capital (part 2)

i dont have time to rewatch this one right now but i seem to remember something about a clown

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kuvo posted:

Ep 78 - Chapter 22 - Hidden Capital (part 2)

i dont have time to rewatch this one right now but i seem to remember something about a clown

Chome's in every episode though.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

"I am certain that the Nohrian royal family has no idea about the secret tunnel leading into their castle"
"The royals have no idea about this underground town"
5 seconds later
Elise: "I hang out here all the time using the secret passage that Camilla told me about"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Surprise twist - none of the Nohrian children are actually royals! King Garon's Big Fat Lie.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Apparently each of his children has a different mom. He’s had so many wives people have trouble keeping track of them all.

It could turn out fuckin’ Silas is a secret Prince, ya know.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

HitTheTargets posted:

Apparently each of his children has a different mom. He’s had so many wives people have trouble keeping track of them all.

It could turn out fuckin’ Silas is a secret Prince, ya know.

That suggests that the fauxhawk runs in the family. Does this mean Garon had a fauxhawk when he was younger too?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 79 - Chapter 23 - Camilla

birthday recap, hippa violations, timehole violations, hr violations, eccentric vegetarian chowder, surprise aunt status, manga tie-ins, camilla's short term memory loss

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I remember bringing Camilla up with an old group about how her design is terrible and her being a huge creep seems focus-tested to appeal to horny nerds, then I got shot down with "actually she's super well-written in her supports!" So hearing you all groan about everything to do with Camilla makes me feel kind of vindicated, so thanks! :v:

The Flying Twybil posted:

That suggests that the fauxhawk runs in the family. Does this mean Garon had a fauxhawk when he was younger too?

Well Garon's got a faux-beard going on with those things on his face, does that count?

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

amigolupus posted:

I remember bringing Camilla up with an old group about how her design is terrible and her being a huge creep seems focus-tested to appeal to horny nerds, then I got shot down with "actually she's super well-written in her supports!" So hearing you all groan about everything to do with Camilla makes me feel kind of vindicated, so thanks! :v:

Well Garon's got a faux-beard going on with those things on his face, does that count?

Yeah, something tells me they were hiding the fact they were probably part of the target audience there, and didn't want to admit it. Granted, I've never seen these "well-written supports", but given Nohr's tendency for using "daddy", the inevitable assless chaps, and her general creepiness thus far... I'd say the case isn't looking good already.

As for Garon, I'd say his faux-beard counts. I just get a laugh out of the idea of him with a fauxhawk and that Chome was given one to keep up with the theme. Obviously Xander and Leo had them at some point, but they're going through pretty-boy and edgy phases respectively.

Cripes, am I writing Fates fanfiction now? Somebody help me, I've gone too far!

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
If anything, Camilla's supports make her even worse, because the only thing she does in most of them is talk about Chome.

Her character really is focus tested for horn nerds.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, something tells me they were hiding the fact they were probably part of the target audience there, and didn't want to admit it. Granted, I've never seen these "well-written supports", but given Nohr's tendency for using "daddy", the inevitable assless chaps, and her general creepiness thus far... I'd say the case isn't looking good already.

Apropos of nothing, why do people call them "assless chaps"? All chaps are assless. If you need to worry about underbrush hitting your rear end when riding a horse, something has gone horrible wrong.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Bruceski posted:

Apropos of nothing, why do people call them "assless chaps"? All chaps are assless. If you need to worry about underbrush hitting your rear end when riding a horse, something has gone horrible wrong.

I think it's just to emphasize the point in this case that they're not wearing anything underneath them, which is, as you point out, completely against the original idea. I think it used to be a joke of sorts until, well, this sort of fanservice starting happening. Chaps were really only designed to protect the inner thigh and the sides of your legs while riding, not for showing off your battle thong. The story of pants and protective legwear is a long one.

I also made this rather quickly. Consider it fanart, I guess.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I skimmed a couple of her support convos, and the first one not related to Chome was 3 conversations with one of her retainers where she repeats that she'll kill her before letting her go back to her home country.

I am truly ashamed of my words and deeds.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I think it's just to emphasize the point in this case that they're not wearing anything underneath them, which is, as you point out, completely against the original idea. I think it used to be a joke of sorts until, well, this sort of fanservice starting happening. Chaps were really only designed to protect the inner thigh and the sides of your legs while riding, not for showing off your battle thong. The story of pants and protective legwear is a long one.

Just file it with PIN number and ATM machine, I guess. Interesting how you can be perfectly fine with a phrase for decades and then something goes *click* and you notice the issue.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

amigolupus posted:

In my experience, nothing in Fates is well-written. At best her supports are well-written in comparison to the rest of the script... but considering how the plot has holes big enough for whales to swim through them, that's not exactly a glowing recommendation.

The only thing I can think of to explain them defending her is them not wanting to admit that they wasted their money on a trash game that only sold as well as it did on sex appeal and cashing in on Awakening's success. Apparently "most blatantly sexualized design" is equivalent to "well-written" in Fates.

Perhaps the biggest nail in Camilla's design's coffin is that even the generic wyvern riders aren't as overly-sexualized as her. I mean, come on, you're supposed to be a soldier and a princess, COVER YOUR TITS AND rear end ALREADY.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Camilla is a trial run for a much better and hornier character: Manuela

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Whenever Chome isn't on screen Camilla should be asking, where's Chome?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Whenever Chome isn't on screen Camilla should be asking, where's Chome?

This is closer to the truth than you realize. At least one of Camilla's support conversations is the couple getting married because they're both so devoted to Chome. Even when Chome isn't in the picture, the story revolves around them.

Also, I'd like to require Kana and Midori's support. The version specifically with female Kana is funnier than it should be.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Camilla is a trial run for a much better and hornier character: Manuela

They don't really have much in common. Manuela's more like a combination of Misato and Edna Krabappel.

And yeah. The writing in Camilla's supports isn't good. Like, there's potentially interesting concepts, but those are a dime a dozen, and expecting Fates to go in depth for interpersonal trauma when it can't even manage to make characters talk differently from each other is a fool's dream.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

amigolupus posted:

Maybe they meant back in the original Japanese? Back in the magical realm where they're not just taking out an actual conversation and turning it into two characters looking back and forth at each other going "..."

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

RareAcumen posted:

Maybe they meant back in the original Japanese? Back in the magical realm where they're not just taking out an actual conversation and turning it into two characters looking back and forth at each other going "..."

That support conversation kicks rear end and is better than the original Japanese and anyone who thinks otherwise is a dweeb

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

You can simultaneously think it's funny and also recognize that changing a support conversation like that, when later supports refer to stuff that's been changed, is bad.

Like, the original writing for this game was also hot garbage don't get me wrong, but some of the choices made by the translators aggravated the issue.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Like Clockwork posted:

You can simultaneously think it's funny and also recognize that changing a support conversation like that, when later supports refer to stuff that's been changed, is bad.

Like, the original writing for this game was also hot garbage don't get me wrong, but some of the choices made by the translators aggravated the issue.

You've got to give examples, because I've forgotten everything but the minor ones like name changes.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

The two big ones I remember off the top of my head are making both of the support lines for the bi option(s) and Chome the same when at least one was entirely different between the two, and then this line de-facto removing a support. I don't care enough to taint my google results by looking deeper into the main script, but I do vaguely recall hearing of issues there that didn't have to do with names/source-language bad writing.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 80 - Chapter 23 - Camilla (part 2)

ship planning, no might, zealous employees, dark horse magic, family greetings

I also made this rather quickly. Consider it fanart, I guess.

this is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Did another for no reason in particular. Since she's already replacing him, I figured it was about time the fauxhawk continued down to Kana. If every day is Bring Your Kid to Work Day, she might as well look the part. Nobody knows where she got the hair dye, though.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 29, 2019