Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched TPM on Blu and it looks good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alec Eiffel posted:

I just watched TPM on Blu and it looks good

Do you still use a CRT?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
https://twitter.com/railoftomorrow/status/1194296769900761088?s=21

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm getting triggered by this dude's shocking lack of organization. Like drat, at least keep the Toy Story movies together!

Edit: ugh I think it's organized chronologically

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Hawking the really lame cropped version of the simpsons episodes would make me not want to subscribe to that thing.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I too am excited to replace something already bought and paid for with a subscription to be paid in perpetuity.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Streaming is just another layer of control corporations have over the media you purchase with actual money. I don't trust the cloud and I don't pay for air.

And I wish my parents were still alive so I could scam logins from them. :negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GrandpaPants posted:

Edit: ugh I think it's organized chronologically

Who does that? :barf:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
There’s some element of the “take my money Disney!!” crowd that just drives me crazy. Did you really not have enough content between the other services and major networks? Do we really need Disney to flex it’s strength and choke the media landscape even more? AND to be all “thank you sir may I have another” about it.

Just silly. Use your money how you like but don’t act like it’s soooo cool or such a great thing.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It’s especially weird when it comes from someone like that “modern parable” guy with the majority of (good/popular) Disney films on Blu. Like, you’re paying for a redundant library and gloating about it?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mean, we all know this of course, but it's just capitalism. Brands and Corporations are a religion to a lot of people to the point where they will quite literally offer sacrifices in the form of money that really doesn't even get them anything they didn't already have. But they think hey, at least I'm supporting the brand I love!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The only way to stay truly sane when engaging in the things that you love is don't make your pop culture obsessions a pillar of your identity, always try to be objective and hold your interests to higher standards.

Hell, there's a solid decade of Residents albums (late '80s to about '99) I can't bear to listen to because it's poorly aged MIDI trash.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Disney is a weird one, it seems to have a very strong hold on certain sub-sets of people. My best guess is that from the boomer generation until Batman TAS happened, Disney was the only company putting out consistently decently produced cartoons.

Disney has had a TV show on Network television since 1954, apparently it hasn't been a fixture since 1991, when it became relegated to specials, but I remember in the 80's it was always on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_anthology_television_series

Let's not forget the Disney Afternoon was a thing in the 90's. I feel like it was the first run at a national after school programming block for children. Sure other channels would run a block of random syndicated cartoons, but Disney made something consistent.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

caligulamprey posted:

The only way to stay truly sane when engaging in the things that you love is don't make your pop culture obsessions a pillar of your identity, always try to be objective and hold your interests to higher standards.

Hell, there's a solid decade of Residents albums (late '80s to about '99) I can't bear to listen to because it's poorly aged MIDI trash.

Or even if you are going to make pop culture a part of your identity, treat it like a thing that's there for your entertainment and not some sort of totem that you bow to and try to appease by being "loyal". Corporations don't care about your loyalty.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Everything I know about streaming I learned on October 26, 2018.

RIP Filmstruck

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
If you like a thing enough to watch it multiple times just buy a physical copy. With the amount of fragmentation of streaming services in the last few years it's pretty safe to assume that the thing you like can and will suddenly disappear either into limbo or onto some other bullshit you have to pay for. Or in the case of the Simpsons just butchered. Anyway I'm wondering if Disney + is going to go down in flames because that would be really funny.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

By the way, when do you think Disney + is going to put up Freddy Got Fingered. They own it now.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Anyway I'm wondering if Disney + is going to go down in flames because that would be really funny.

They're claiming 10 million signups yesterday so they're probably good

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

trdn89 posted:

They're claiming 10 million signups yesterday so they're probably good

I'm not saying it will absolutely happen. But once the hype dies down how many people are going to want to keep shelling out for that in addition to whatever other services they pay for? Didn't they announce that instead of a constant selection they're going to be rotating titles in and out?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPL593H posted:

I'm not saying it will absolutely happen. But once the hype dies down how many people are going to want to keep shelling out for that in addition to whatever other services they pay for? Didn't they announce that instead of a constant selection they're going to be rotating titles in and out?

If that’s true that’s lol, vaulted streaming.

I’ll stick with the 15 or so (including Star Wars titles, but it’s more if you count Ghibli titles) Disney DVDs/Blus I own and see Disney in hell

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alec Eiffel posted:

If that’s true that’s lol, vaulted streaming.
I literally experienced it when Terminator: Genisys came out. T1 and T2 were streaming the month before. Friends came over the week before Genisys came out and suddenly T2 was gone.

Could buy it on Amazon prime but Netflix mysteriously lost it

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I always howl at "Here's what's coming and going from Netflix next month!" articles because it's the same forty loving movies being rotated in and out month after month.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

By the way, when do you think Disney + is going to put up Freddy Got Fingered. They own it now.

Isn’t there like a 3 minute cut on the DVD that considered family friendly, they should totally put that up just for fun.

Criterion, release the Freddy.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

FilthyImp posted:

I literally experienced it when Terminator: Genisys came out. T1 and T2 were streaming the month before. Friends came over the week before Genisys came out and suddenly T2 was gone.

Could buy it on Amazon prime but Netflix mysteriously lost it

The difference between that and what Disney is (allegedly) doing is that Netflix doesn't remove things they own for the hell of it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There really needs to be a formalized term for when a sequel/remake/reboot/whatever comes out in theaters and the original one (or best one), which was pretty ubiquitous on streaming services is suddenly gone.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Isn’t there like a 3 minute cut on the DVD that considered family friendly, they should totally put that up just for fun.

Criterion, release the Freddy.

I sincerely think FGF belongs in the Criterion Collection but Tom Green himself told me a blu-ray of that will never happen. I wonder if I keep complaining about it will I be able to will it into existence. It's happened once already.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I genuinely believe it’s a great film, watched it many times and it just blows my mind each time that he somehow convinced a studio to let him make it. They should sell the rights to him for like $1.

Almost as much as people at the time saying they were big fans of Green but hated the movie. Like, what exactly about him did you like then, because that film was all him.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I genuinely believe it’s a great film, watched it many times and it just blows my mind each time that he somehow convinced a studio to let him make it. They should sell the rights to him for like $1.

Almost as much as people at the time saying they were big fans of Green but hated the movie. Like, what exactly about him did you like then, because that film was all him.

Good luck on Disney releasing that from their talons. I'm not sure about the final film but he told me that the director's cut he talked about a few years back can never happen because the footage no longer exists. But overall the rights holder don't give the slightest gently caress about the movie. But I think it's an important piece of transgressive cinema on the level of John Waters.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Get Nicholas Winding Refn to buy the rights for a 4K restoration

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The scene where he’s whispering to his mother to cheat on and leave his father is one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/status/1194743456888999943?s=20

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Freddy Got Fingered pretty accurately predicted Adult Swim.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Boywhiz88 posted:

There’s some element of the “take my money Disney!!” crowd that just drives me crazy. Did you really not have enough content between the other services and major networks?

Well, we used to...

As things get more and more fragmented, if you only want one streaming service, the one that owns All The Popular Things is not a bad choice... despite the various disturbing implications that come with that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

Freddy Got Fingered pretty accurately predicted Adult Swim.

I've never seen FGF, but it's something I could also say about Cabin Boy

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Netflix is about to lose several of its most popular shows I think. A lot of people still just re-watch friends or parks and rec. In terms of viewership hours, the old sitcoms are still king.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If only Netflix learned to foster a sitcom of it's own for years and years rather than cancelling everything after two seasons.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I've never seen FGF, but it's something I could also say about Cabin Boy

You need to see that.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I think you're going to see a streaming crash in the next few years. Mind you, it will be like the videogame crash of 83, in which it changes the landscape, but it won't lead to the end of streaming.

Like, Disney makes sense since they are a brand. But Universal? CBS? People want to go to one place. They're not going to keep track, and that's either going to push people back to disc or piracy. Netflix was easy. Netflix and Hulu is easy. But if you have 20 different services? That's hard.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
That's kind of not a great comparison because the '83 crash did pretty much kill video games outright

Like, Nintendo had to pretend the NES was a traditional toy and not a video game to get retailers to stock it at all, that's why ROB existed

If streaming hits a similar snag, the idea is dead permanently, because the globalized marketplace means there won't be any markets where it hasn't crashed and can keep developing (and eventually sneak back into the crashed market like Nintendo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think you're going to see a streaming crash in the next few years. Mind you, it will be like the videogame crash of 83, in which it changes the landscape, but it won't lead to the end of streaming.

Like, Disney makes sense since they are a brand. But Universal? CBS? People want to go to one place. They're not going to keep track, and that's either going to push people back to disc or piracy. Netflix was easy. Netflix and Hulu is easy. But if you have 20 different services? That's hard.

Yeah, that's one of those things I forget about, and that streaming probably put a big dent in piracy. Not like it went away, but $15/mo for Netflix certainly made piracy less appealing.

In the end what I think will happen is that most of the new streaming sites will probably consolidate and just make Great Value Brand Hulu.

EDIT:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

That's kind of not a great comparison because the '83 crash did pretty much kill video games outright

Like, Nintendo had to pretend the NES was a traditional toy and not a video game to get retailers to stock it at all, that's why ROB existed

If streaming hits a similar snag, the idea is dead permanently, because the globalized marketplace means there won't be any markets where it hasn't crashed and can keep developing (and eventually sneak back into the crashed market like Nintendo)

I doubt streaming will hit a snag like that any time soon. Basically what would have to happen is a jump in technology like streaming did to physical media.