Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

Popping in to ask this as someone who has recently bought, assembled and painted a few 40k models but has no idea about the gameplay side of things: I’m interested in the new Sisters of Battle box, but a few of the breakdowns I’ve seen feature people saying they hope to be able to get one before supplies run out. I assume they mean the initial run before more are produced, right?

Also, as someone who’d have zero use for the codex, cards, dice, etc, can it be expected to see all of those models released separately somewhere down the line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
The boxes are limited run (for now) which is why GW are urging people to preorder early on Saturday.

They might possibly release the monopose models in a start collecting box down the line, but they also might not.

So for now, if you really 100% want the new models you'll also be getting the codex, cards and dice.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Ellaybee posted:

Popping in to ask this as someone who has recently bought, assembled and painted a few 40k models but has no idea about the gameplay side of things: I’m interested in the new Sisters of Battle box, but a few of the breakdowns I’ve seen feature people saying they hope to be able to get one before supplies run out. I assume they mean the initial run before more are produced, right?

Also, as someone who’d have zero use for the codex, cards, dice, etc, can it be expected to see all of those models released separately somewhere down the line?

This is a one-off box made to re-launch Sisters as an army. The models are monopose (like the Dark Imperium / Shadowspear sets) which means they can only be assembled one way and share sprues with each other. It's a way of:
a) Giving people a cheaper way to start the army by getting core units a bit cheaper than they would be if bought separately
b) Let's people get a headstart assembling / painting these units over Xmas before the rest come out
c) Guaranteeing sales for GW because limited sets usually sell out

Early next year all of these units (and the codex) will be released separately as full multi-part kits, most of which will have multiple unit / wargear options.

If you're only interested in painting a few of these models, you may be better of waiting as with this set you're paying a premium for a codex & cards you won't use. Of course there may be some interested folks who would buy them off you to offset the cost.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah just buy Sisters in Jan/Feb when the main release comes out. These models will almost definitely form some or all of Start Collecting: Sisters of Battle on the lines of the Shadowspear models, too.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

xtothez posted:

The shelf behind me has 30 terminators and two land raiders quietly awaiting the day when GW will Make Deathwing Great Again*

*not sure if 'again' is applicable here tbh

Incredibly same.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Kitchner posted:

After all my worrying about getting my kill team models looking nice on time and having a half decent list I'm going to miss it because I have to fly to Ireland for four weeks with work.

Super annoyed.

And no I can't just play in Ireland because I'm staying in Limerick which seemingly consists of a road and a castle.

When I am back over December and January though I'm definitely going to look for a way to scratch the 40K itch a bit since my friend seems unlikely to play again any time soon.

Try get over to Dublin, good few places to grab a game if you can. Hell there might even be a few in Limerick.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Hell there might even be a few in Limerick.

There once was a goon who had work
so to Ireland flew he with a smirk
Though his kill team sat bored
a chance gamestore restored
his joy dredged back up from the murk

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

DandyLion posted:

There once was a goon who had work
so to Ireland flew he with a smirk
Though his kill team sat bored
a chance gamestore restored
his joy dredged back up from the murk

That's cute.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Pyou might need to do some work if you wanted to use different chest fronts (which still look separate in the multi part kits).

The chest sizes are different between standard marines and Primaris. I've seen swaps done but it is a ton of green stuff to fill out the difference, to the point where sculpting the emblems may be easier depending on what you're trying to do.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/14/battle-sisters-on-the-battlefield-part-2gw-homepage-post-1/
Second Sisters rules preview is up.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/14/chaos-space-marines-why-you-need-faith-furygw-homepage-post-4/
So is the CSM preview for Faith & Fury.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

+12" and +1D to multimeltas in a unit for 2CP, yowza, that's one way to make them relevant.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I really really want to make a centurion with dorns head. Anyone else?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
That seems like a really strong SoB trait depending on how miracle dice pan out.

The +1 to hit thing seems good but I think it might end up in practice like the necron reanimating protocol situation... where the enemy just focus fires down one unit at a time.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
I like those stratagems for Word Bearers, Night Lords, and Alpha Legion. Gorefather is nuts.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Do we know if we're getting more new chaos models in this besides the sorcerer?

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That seems like a really strong SoB trait depending on how miracle dice pan out.

The reroll miracle dice relic really seems like an auto take.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Tiger Millionaire posted:

+12" and +1D to multimeltas in a unit for 2CP, yowza, that's one way to make them relevant.

Does it? That seems like a lot of command points to buff, what, like 4? Tops? Multimeltas

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Clawtopsy posted:

Does it? That seems like a lot of command points to buff, what, like 4? Tops? Multimeltas

Unless they dramatically decrease the cost of multimeltas and/or increase the cost of exorcists I really don't see it being worth 2CP

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

goose willis posted:

Do we know if we're getting more new chaos models in this besides the sorcerer?

If we were I think they would have made mention of it already. The focus on this release is all SOB.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Playing deathguard status: bummed

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
TheChirurgeon asked me to write some words about my little mans and, despite writing far too many, has kindly published an army showcase article here. This one's about my Death Guard:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Giant Isopod posted:

Unless they dramatically decrease the cost of multimeltas and/or increase the cost of exorcists I really don't see it being worth 2CP

I was going to say it might be more valuable for the Flamer component, but then I saw you had to do it at the start of the Phase. Imagine blowing 2CP to reroll your Heavy Flamer wounds, then rolling low on the amount of hits...

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Giant Isopod posted:

Yeah. It’s weird though because I feel like it would be too good if it only cost 1 cp.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I like that they took the time to make all the Canonesses look old. Shows a nice attention to detail.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yeah. It’s weird though because I feel like it would be too good if it only cost 1 cp.

If the multimelta part of the strat were its own thing, it would be fairly costed at 1cp imo

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I do not actually get to play often so this may be a dumb question but: without giving CSM updated légion traits + doctrine équivalents will they just be loyalist marines but worse?

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

fashionly snort posted:

If the multimelta part of the strat were its own thing, it would be fairly costed at 1cp imo

It is effectively its own thing though - this is really 3 stratagems because in practice you aren't going to see mixed weapon retributor squads.

I guess you could mix heavy bolters and multimeltas, and have the range bonus put them at the same 36" range?

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

fashionly snort posted:

I do not actually get to play often so this may be a dumb question but: without giving CSM updated légion traits + doctrine équivalents will they just be loyalist marines but worse?

A guy I know put it this way: why make the bad guys a challange when your trying to sell new models of the good guys?

Csm are 40ks new jobbers it seems.

Thankfully chaos soup is still strong.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 14, 2019

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

adamantium|wang posted:

TheChirurgeon asked me to write some words about my little mans and, despite writing far too many, has kindly published an army showcase article here. This one's about my Death Guard:

It's a very pretty army and deserved to be seen. thanks for writing that!

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

fashionly snort posted:

loyalist marines but worse

Welcome to chaos buddy

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

goose willis posted:

Welcome to chaos buddy

Rolling with wrestling terminology, it such a pity as even the heel has to win some time, even if its to build the tension until the faces victory.

Chaos were really shaping up to be just that, now GW just wants them to be jobbers.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

ANAmal.net posted:

Incredibly same.

Ooooh, nice.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

The last time chaos was on equal footing with the loyalists (or even slightly more powerful) was third edition :ssh:

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

goose willis posted:

The last time chaos was on equal footing with the loyalists (or even slightly more powerful) was third edition :ssh:
Eh. The time between when the latest black legion supplement came out and the new marine updates hit was pretty even.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

Hmm, i was convinced that multimeltas were heavy 2, but them being heavy 1 makes the strat weaker. Im hoping for a mobile weapons platform with a bunch of multimeltas on it with the new toys

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I haven't played in a few editions but multi meltas always seemed like the weakest Imperial heavy weapon after they lost their absurd wound multiplier from back in 2nd edition.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 14, 2019

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Melta generally has been massively overcosted in this edition. Maybe they’ll do something about it in the next CA but I doubt it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

fashionly snort posted:

giving CSM updated légion traits + doctrine équivalents will they just be loyalist marines but worse?

You think they're getting all those super OP bonuses for free? Expect vanilla CSM to go up to 16-17 pts a model.

As far as I can tell is CSM are supposed to be equivalent cost to SM units that are a tier in power below them.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

fashionly snort posted:

CSM can still take daemon allies and not lose their biggest buffs, which isn't exactly a small bonus since lots of daemons are really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Am I the only one who thinks that new Alpha Legion sabotage strat is going to be amazing? A better than even chance that your opponent's vehicle explodes any time you want is going to be great for wrecking castles and causing all sorts of mayhem.