Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

BonoMan posted:

There isn't a lot of panel lottery issues on the C9 OLEDs is there??

Based on what I read from users on AVS Forum, there are still issues with low-level gray uniformity ("banding") and with white uniformity ("tinting"--portions of the screen which have a yellow or magenta tint). Some units are very clean, some units have these issues but they aren't generally visible in typical content, and some units are definite returns. If I ever get an OLED I plan to make sure I'm buying from someplace with a solid return/refund policy and no restocking fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Well, the die is cast with my panel as I won’t be there to check it. Hopefully it’s within the “not noticeable” range.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Elysium posted:

Is there a Projector/Home Theater thread? Thinking of going projector since my basement TV died.

Ars Technica just had a solid review of a $2700 short-throw 4k projector if that's in your price range.

Edit: Apparently it's pixel-shifted 2k, my bad.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 7, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As much as I love my OLED (and I do love it) I really think I may have gone 4k short throw for my living room had the current crop of short throw 4k projectors been available in 2016 (or I would have at least seriously considered it.)

The size to value ratio is just insane and I really don't watch much TV in my living room when it's full daylight outside.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sony 65" X900F (2018 model) + Google Home Mini for $1,098

Sony 75" X900F (2018 model) + Google Chromecast Ultra for $1,798

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Best buy put a google home in my cart when I ordered my tv, I manually removed it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Black Friday flyers are starting to leak, and Costco is going to have the 2018 TCL 6 series 65'' TV for $599.99.

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Nov 8, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Costco's is the 6 series, Target has the 4.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

N/m it’s the 4 Series

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

FlamingLiberal posted:

Black Friday flyers are starting to leak, and Costco is going to have the 2018 TCL 6 series 65'' TV for $599.99.

I’m jumping into the market for something along this line, and I’d rather do Costco than anywhere else. Is that the gold model to be looking at or are there other good deals from the holiday circular?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Vizio M-series (M556-G4) $398 shipped

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Trying to plot out my new TV purchases. I need a TV for our main set and one for the basement for games and sports.

Looking now as the BF deals appear to have some contenders. Because I have an annoying eye for detail and prefer the safety of dealing with them plus extra warranty, I am looking basically exclusively at Costco.

Main TV contenders:
Vizio PX65 for 999
Samsung Q70 65 for 1200

These grade out really similarly on Rtings but I have a bit of a negative view towards Vizio for just overall quality and longevity even though I know they’re making some great screens. Thoughts on these 2 models? Use would be for TV shows and some movies. No games. Happy to pay less if Vizio has improved their overall quality.

Not really sure what should be on my basement TV list beyond the TCL 6 series - I have actually owned one briefly but had an issue with a dark corner and returned it - not particularly into the panel lottery game as again I have an annoying eye and whenever I pick up something stupid I never let it go. This would be primarily for PS4 pro and occasional football and other sports use. Don’t want to spend a ton down here. Would I be reasonably happy with like, a 4 series TCL for cheaper? Looking in the 55-65 range.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Buy the Vizio. Spend the extra $200 on a 55 gallon drum of Kirkland vodka to forget about it. Samsung software is garbage, don't pay extra.

For those who mentioned in passing about ielectrica vs firstclasstvs - my box says ielectrica on it and I bought it on ebay from firstclasstvs. (Yeah yeah yeah so I haven't broken down the pickup truck load of cardboard in my garage yet. Sue me.)

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Got the LG C9 OLED from Best Buy today, it's spectacular so far

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Buy the Vizio. Spend the extra $200 on a 55 gallon drum of Kirkland vodka to forget about it. Samsung software is garbage, don't pay extra.

For those who mentioned in passing about ielectrica vs firstclasstvs - my box says ielectrica on it and I bought it on ebay from firstclasstvs. (Yeah yeah yeah so I haven't broken down the pickup truck load of cardboard in my garage yet. Sue me.)

Yeah that’s what I did. They actually had it today for the BF price so I went for it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 65S525 $600 shipped

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Are any sound bars going to be better than the 2.1 Klipsch system I have with RSX-3 reference satellites? I’m generally happy with my current audio but I wonder these 5.1 sound bar Black Friday deals are tempting.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I gotta say, I love my Sonos Beam/Sub I bought when I got my x900f earlier this year. Just the wireless capability alone is worth it, but it does a good job of filling up my massive living room. I'll probably throw a pair of Ones in the rear eventually.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Cozmosis posted:

Trying to plot out my new TV purchases. I need a TV for our main set and one for the basement for games and sports.

Main TV contenders:
Vizio PX65 for 999
Samsung Q70 65 for 1200

I realize some of this is subjective, but do people have thoughts on whether the Vizio is worth the $400 price jump over the TCL 6 series that Costco will be offering for BF?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I have decided to upgrade my 52" plasma to something bigger this year. We moved, and I have the wall space for something in the 75+ range.

Rtings seems to recommend the Q70 and the Q80, would I be well served looking at these or should I be looking elsewhere?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

Boxman posted:

I realize some of this is subjective, but do people have thoughts on whether the Vizio is worth the $400 price jump over the TCL 6 series that Costco will be offering for BF?

The PX Vizio gets reviewed as drat close to OLED quality. The TCL has a great value but there is definitely a panel lottery component that if you have eyes for defects may significantly annoy you.

Roku interface is about 1 billion times better, though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

Are any sound bars going to be better than the 2.1 Klipsch system I have with RSX-3 reference satellites? I’m generally happy with my current audio but I wonder these 5.1 sound bar Black Friday deals are tempting.

"Surround" sound bars are universally crap at prices below what an actual receiver/speaker combo would cost. If you want an upgrade get speakers with bigger woofers [most soundbars max out around 3" driver size].

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

qirex posted:

"Surround" sound bars are universally crap at prices below what an actual receiver/speaker combo would cost. If you want an upgrade get speakers with bigger woofers [most soundbars max out around 3" driver size].
My satellites have 3.5” woofers and 0.75” tweeters.

I don’t want to get a proper 5.1 setup with a receiver just yet so it looks like I won’t be buying speakers this BF? :shrug:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
So, I got a TCL 55R625 and a Samsung HW MS650 (refurb) soundbar based on the recommendations of this thread, ran me about $900 after taxes/shipping. The new setup is hella nice, I'm very happy with it.

I remember seeing someone had posted a website with good setting tweaks for TVs; I turned off the motion smoothing and made another couple of changes to the TCL 55R625 that have it looking very good, but I'm wondering if there's more I could be doing; what's the best place to look for that?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
If you saw it here, I'm thinking you are looking for

https://www.rtings.com/

You can't necessarily just go by their calibrations though you can make your own determinations..

The settings advise is helpful at least, works for computer monitors as well, has custom color profiles, but I guess nothing is a substitute for true calibration from an expert or online ordered tool, right?

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 13, 2019

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Josh Lyman posted:

My satellites have 3.5” woofers and 0.75” tweeters.

I don’t want to get a proper 5.1 setup with a receiver just yet so it looks like I won’t be buying speakers this BF? :shrug:

Get 2 better speakers?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What's the thread recommendation for small TVs? After 25 years of stalwart service, I've been forced to finally replace my 21" Panasonic CRT. We have a 48" 2017 mid-range 4K in our living room, and I can tell for sure nothing in the forty inch range will fit in the space in my room. 32" is the smallest I've seen for HDTVs I've seen so far, and even that might be a bit much for what I have to work with.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kerning Chameleon posted:

What's the thread recommendation for small TVs? After 25 years of stalwart service, I've been forced to finally replace my 21" Panasonic CRT. We have a 48" 2017 mid-range 4K in our living room, and I can tell for sure nothing in the forty inch range will fit in the space in my room. 32" is the smallest I've seen for HDTVs I've seen so far, and even that might be a bit much for what I have to work with.

Just get the TCL if you can fit 32"

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-32S325-I...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

It's 720p. There's a 1080p (not gonna do you much in that size) but I would just get the 720p.

If you need to go less than 32" then just run to Walmart and grab something. They have some in the 20s.

edit: https://www.walmart.com/browse/electronics/shop-tvs-by-size/3944_1060825_2489948?cat_id=3944_1060825_2489948_4054286

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 13, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Below 40 inches there really isn't much to recommend. In that size class, it's basically buy whatever fits your budget and I/O needs and seems to get decent customer reviews. None of the major review sites do rigorous reviews of TVs under 40 inches and they are too low margin to get much in the way of latest tech.

As you noticed, not many manufacturers make TVs that small for their mainline models. Basically, you are going to get no-name chinese companies producing models under branding agreements.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Been looking at TVs in the Best Buy black friday ad because I have a credit card with them. Basically everything has HDR now, but is there a difference between "HDR capable" or standards or what?

65" is plenty big for the space I need it for, and dropping $999 on the QLED that size is probably not feasible. There are a handful of models between $479 and $599 that size, Samsung, Vizio, LG, so not like TCL or Hisense or whatever (one is like, $199 at that price but in-store Friday only so gently caress that). At that size and price point is there any reason not to just get the cheapest? I'm mostly going to be using with for gaming with a PS4 Pro and eventually a PS5.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
A lot of people would point you towards the TCL, so I wouldn't rule them out

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Mention of Hisense brings up a question I was wondering about. Why no recommendations for the them? I see their higher end budget model rated slightly higher than the TCL 6 series.

Is it because they are a newer brand?

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 14, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TCL is your best bet for image quality at that pricepoint.

The MINIMUM buy in for full HDR and Wide Color Gamut (the two main things you want in a UHD TV) is the TCL 6 series TVs which is around $600 at 55" give or take depending on sales.

Anything lower than that and you are usually compromising on HDR or wide color gamut which means you aren't taking full advantage of UHD content.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I would like to purchase a 4k tv somewhere between 43 and 55 inches, and I would like to pay less than $500. But my most important considerations are privacy/security; ideally I'd like to buy a non-smart (dumb?) TV, but I can't find any of those. I absolutely will not purchase a television with a microphone or camera because I will never, ever use those features and I just refuse to willingly purchase some poo poo that is quite literally out of 1984. If I have to get a smart TV I would prefer that it not prompt me to connect to the internet every few minutes, since I'll be using a HTPC/PS4 for all my content. Are there any decent options, or am I gonna have to shell out for a computer monitor or commercial display?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

In 2016 Vizio made some TVs that were pretty dumb, only had a Chromecast. But you can't get one of those new any more. And I doubt the PC/monitor options in that size will have good price/features ratio.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dyscrasia posted:

Mention of Hisense brings up a question I was wondering about. Why no recommendations for the them? I see their higher end budget model rated slightly higher than the TCL 6 series.

Is it because they are a newer brand?

I have a Hisense I bought from Walmart I believe, 49" 4K HDR and it cost me like $220 and serves perfectly well as my bedroom TV. Even the speakers are decent enough. Only real flaw with it is I can see the edge lighting a bit too much, but for that price/size point I have zero complaints. Bought a second one for my mother in law, and she hasn't had any issues either. If their more expensive models scale up nicely, I can see them being decent too.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I don't think there are non-awful Smart TVs at this point; get a set top box or videogame console that you can use instead and turn off all internet on the TV, at least after updating the firmware.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Gnumonic posted:

I would like to purchase a 4k tv somewhere between 43 and 55 inches, and I would like to pay less than $500. But my most important considerations are privacy/security; ideally I'd like to buy a non-smart (dumb?) TV, but I can't find any of those. I absolutely will not purchase a television with a microphone or camera because I will never, ever use those features and I just refuse to willingly purchase some poo poo that is quite literally out of 1984. If I have to get a smart TV I would prefer that it not prompt me to connect to the internet every few minutes, since I'll be using a HTPC/PS4 for all my content. Are there any decent options, or am I gonna have to shell out for a computer monitor or commercial display?

Neither of my last 2 TVs have prompted me past initial setup to hook them up to the internet. I just pressed "no" and it moved on with life.

I agree with you, but it's not a thing on the market right now.

ufarn posted:

I don't think there are non-awful Smart TVs at this point; get a set top box or videogame console that you can use instead and turn off all internet on the TV, at least after updating the firmware.

Use a USB stick to firmware update.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Use a USB stick to firmware update.
True - if it works. My Panasonic USB is useless for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ufarn posted:

True - if it works. My Panasonic USB is useless for whatever reason.

Or just don't update it. Half the time those updates aren't fixing anything you're using if you disable all the internet crap. Wait until you have a problem, then update.