Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
numeracy
This poll is closed.
s*x n*mb*r 69 0.22%
w@@d n_mb_r 420 1.34%
Jeb! number 538 1.72%
Biden numbr 30330 96.72%
Total: 31357 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

before last week i didn't know who deval patrick was, and now i know that he's a weird rape apologist guy so he's definitely managed to raise his profile with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Thoguh posted:

Big 'delete your account' energy there.

just gonna assume shes agreeing with him, liz was born to kneel

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Prester Jane posted:

That scene where G'kar and Londo are trapped together in an elevator and are being slowly asphyxiated by a fire outside is goddamn genius- G'kar being beside himself with joy because "If I harmed you they would kill 10,000 of my people- but this way I get to watch you die for free" is some real good praxis.

Also the shows only true moral hero is Vir Cotto- he never allowed himself to become morally compromised and secretly made huge personal sacrifices for his people and the Narns.

:hmmyes:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
it should be easy for the Dem donor class to unify behind Warren as the not-Bernie candidate but they're too greedy and evil even for that lol

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fleetwood posted:

just gonna assume shes agreeing with him, liz was born to kneel

wasn't donut twitter saying that poo poo like "born to kneel" and "take the knee" was misogynistic in 2016

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

turn off the TV posted:

wasn't donut twitter saying that poo poo like "born to kneel" and "take the knee" was misogynistic in 2016

And corncobbing was rape

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

SKULL.GIF posted:

Nothing raises your profile like failing miserably.

We live in a society where every failure in politics always fail upward though

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

Nothing raises your profile like failing miserably.

Just ask Jeb!

Now he's got his own thread in C-SPAM!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

WampaLord posted:

Just ask Jeb!

Now he's got his own thread in C-SPAM!

Slow and steady friend... slow and steady

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

turn off the TV posted:

The phrase "bending the knee" was deliberately mischaracterized to imply forced oral sex in order to cancel Bernie Bros. It was very dumb.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Nothus posted:

I was hoping for a bigger ratio tbh

his "Vision" campaign page offers no solutions but it mentions gaming as part of his Opportunity Agenda

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Feldegast42 posted:

We live in a society where every failure in politics always fail upward though

Did you think I was joking?

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

yeah, I think it had something to do with Game of Thrones and corncobbing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

presumably bending the knee to anyone except khaleesi is misogynistic

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Isn't all this star trek chat exactly what the pop culture containment thread is for? Take it over there pls

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My favorite false meme origin story is still the conrcob thing due to the vast disparity in believability between the obvious real explanation and the one they spent hours digging through ancient obscure cultural references to find

them doing the exact same thing with the rose emoji is a close second though

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Holy Jesus christ are shitlibs ever a bunch of stupid-rear end loving babies with dogshit for brains

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Isn't all this star trek chat exactly what the pop culture containment thread is for? Take it over there pls

Thread topics aren't real.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Deval dipped his toes into the race throughout last year and slunk back into the shadows when people started looking into his stint at Ameriquest

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/deva...rBI3WJB5_D_KE6P

quote:

But Arnall got some support from an unlikely source. Patrick and Arnall got to know each other in 1996, when Patrick helmed the civil rights division at the Department of Justice. Arnall was running Long Beach Mortgage Co., which the DOJ was investigating for racial discrimination in the subprime lending market. The DOJ and Long Beach eventually reached a $4 million settlement. The idea was to send a message to subprime lenders about some of their shadier practices without crimping the flow of credit into the still-developing sector. “We recognize that lenders understand the industry in ways we don’t,” Patrick said at the time. “That is why there is so much flexibility in the decree.”

When Arnall came up for the ambassadorship, Patrick wrote to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to heap praise on Arnall. The billionaire was “a good man,” Patrick wrote, and Arnall’s Ameriquest was “a good company.” Arnall had “really stepped forward” after the settlement in the 1990s. “He used the experience to make a better company” and would make a “fine ambassador.”

It wasn’t true. After signing Patrick’s slap-on-the-wrist settlement, Arnall developed his mortgage operation into Ameriquest, which became the world’s largest subprime lender during the housing bubble. It was notorious ― “the worst bottom-feeder of them all,” in the words of New York Times business columnist Joe Nocera, who later wrote a book with Bethany McLean documenting the company’s horrors and its relationship with Patrick.

Ameriquest’s business model used high-pressure sales techniques to push homeowners with existing mortgages into new loans with sky-high interest rates. If the family couldn’t pay, investors who bought the loans would acquire the house through foreclosure. When home prices were soaring during the housing bubble, it was a tremendously profitable strategy, turning Arnall into a billionaire.

But Ameriquest was a financial time bomb targeting middle-class families, particularly families of color. There is no nationwide database on Ameriquest’s lending that sorts by race, but we can get a look at the company’s general operations by looking at individual cities. In Milwaukee “nearly all” Ameriquest loans issued from 2003 to 2005 were refinancings, according to data from the University of Wisconsin, and half of them were made to households making less than $50,000 a year, with more than a third going to inner-city neighborhoods covered by the federal government’s Community Development Block Grant Program. In Detroit the company was responsible for over 2,500 foreclosures, 70 percent of them on homes that were blighted or abandoned by 2015, according to The Detroit News. A 2010 study by researchers at Ohio State University found that Ameriquest disproportionately targeted black neighborhoods in Minneapolis.

And Patrick was making $360,000 a year working for Ameriquest. He joined the company’s board in 2004, lending his credibility as a former civil rights attorney to both the company’s operations and the public image of its founder. Two months after Patrick vouched for Arnall to the Senate, Ameriquest agreed to pay $325 million to settle predatory lending allegations in 49 states and the District of Columbia.

When the mortgage business began to implode, Patrick left Ameriquest to run for governor of Massachusetts.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/1194812039044063232?s=21

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

docbeard posted:

Thread topics aren't real.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
comic books

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
cum town

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Nothus posted:

The phrase "bending the knee" was deliberately mischaracterized to imply forced oral sex in order to cancel Bernie Bros. It was very dumb.

the other part of that mischaracterization was the notion that it was directed at rank-and-file Hillary voters and not people with actual institutional power in the Democratic Party, so it became "Chapo demands blowjobs from black women"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

we're being raided, gas every star trek thread

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcAbI-4_io&t=149s

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Someone give me a list of recommended tng episodes I'm not watching all of that poo poo like 90% of it is gay nerd poo poo

lmao, unfortunately with tng its all or nothing

season 1 and 2 are absolute garbage. just terrible. but you gotta watch them to set up seasons 3, 4, and most of 5 which are easily some of the best television i've ever seen. absolutely stellar writing, mature storylines, fresh takes, and a relentless attempt to uphold the highest, most impressive value set i've ever come across.

seriously, it can not be overstated how good seasons 3, 4, and most of 5 are, and this is coming from the most cynical, oversaturated media consumer. it's been an absolute joy to watch. you just have to watch 50 hours of garbage season 1 and 2 to get there

edit: sorry, posted this before i saw the request to take it elsewhere

RaySmuckles has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Nov 14, 2019

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Someone give me a list of recommended tng episodes I'm not watching all of that poo poo like 90% of it is gay nerd poo poo

https://medium.com/maxistentialism-blog/star-trek-the-next-generation-in-40-hours-c4a6762cbd3

i don't endorse this list but its existence is buried in my brain for some reason, so enjoy

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

smdh at this helldumping

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

I like the DS9 episode where they beam down to San Francisco but they end up in the year 2024 and everyone is sleeping on the streets

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Crazyweasel posted:

You ever see the last episode of VEEP?

you run and get some % of the primary vote, then you haggle with someone in the top 2 or 3 that you will drop out, endorse the candidate, and if they win they give you a Cabinet Position you can grift off of and flip into speaking tours + consulting fees, and all you had to do was pretend to want to do something and lie to the common man

:cmon:

You gotta poll above like 2% for that to work unless he wants some no name position like ambassador to a country most Americans can’t find on a map

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

bernie please call out deval’s time at bain, lord knows liz won’t (having already said deval could be in her cabinet)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dont watch tng jesus christ it's more bad than good

Deep space 9 has a rough first season but is almost solid gold until the pah wraith poo poo at the very end. Watch DS9, let tng exist as a backdrop and cultural memory

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Fleetwood posted:

yeah, I think it had something to do with Game of Thrones and corncobbing

I don't know what corncobbing is and at this point, I'm too afraid to google it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dalael posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?lang=en

(also, in Al Giordano's totally-not-infested-with-brainworms brain, it's a reference to prison rape, because of course he'd think that)

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dalael posted:

well if you're sane it's this

if you're an insane freak trying to prove something online it's racist or something

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Majorian posted:

(also, in Al Giordano's totally-not-infested-with-brainworms brain, it's a reference to prison rape, because of course he'd think that)

that's what it was i couldn't remember because it was so stupid

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dalael posted:

Look at your post history

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

sword_man.gif posted:

well if you're sane it's this

if you're an insane freak trying to prove something online it's racist or something

Could it be deep trolling? like that lady that was saying that wearing black socks is a proof of one's inner racism? Cuz that was gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

bernie please call out deval’s time at bain, lord knows liz won’t (having already said deval could be in her cabinet)

Warren having just said that she'd put him in her cabinet basically makes it impossible for her to attack him and that's hilarious to me.