Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They’re boring

Or you’re just a boring person who doesn’t get them. Best concerts of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
lmao my mans only posts in the indie thread are about coldplay

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

LionArcher posted:

I'd love to hear what it is that you think people need to 'get' about Coldplay's post-2005 output

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

i don’t like where this is going

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

They’re boring

I don't listen to Coldplay anymore, but they're just fine and goons edgily making GBS threads on popular things is the oldest trope on SA.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nice edgy take. There's been a ton of good Coldplay songs. Sorry that shatters your hipster world view.

Whatever dad.

I like Coldplay actually. Some really fun pop songs. A Rush of Blood is one of my fave pop albums of all time.

I just think they haven't had a good album since Viva La Vida (so i'll update my date from 2005 to 2008).

Some fun songs since then sure and live they are good - but just not a solidly cohesive effort since then.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't listen to Coldplay anymore, but they're just fine and goons edgily making GBS threads on popular things is the oldest trope on SA.

So how do you differentiate between someone making GBS threads on something because it's popular vs making GBS threads on something because they just don't like it regardless of its popularity?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Fun fact for the triple post. I was at the Atlanta Parking Lot show of 2002. One of my favorite concert memories:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/coldplay-720-1378037

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BonoMan posted:

So how do you differentiate between someone making GBS threads on something because it's popular vs making GBS threads on something because they just don't like it regardless of its popularity?

It's pretty simple dude. It's wording. "X is poo poo" vs "I don't like X personally". Like this is pretty elementary. Just be more tolerant and kind.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This slapfight about Coldplay of all bands loving sucks. Please cut it out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's pretty simple dude. It's wording. "X is poo poo" vs "I don't like X personally". Like this is pretty elementary. Just be more tolerant and kind.

Holy poo poo this is some pedantry. Sorry you attach wildly different meanings of something because they don't word it specifically to your liking.

edit: "Just be more tolerant and kind" is a funny thing to say from a person that tried to call me out as a hipster edgelord because I don't like a band's output from the second half of their career.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BonoMan posted:

Holy poo poo this is some pedantry. Sorry you attach wildly different meanings of something because they don't word it specifically to your liking.

edit: "Just be more tolerant and kind" is a funny thing to say from a person that tried to call me out as a hipster edgelord because I don't like a band's output from the second half of their career.

Okay dude, whatever. You do you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Any more attempts to get the last word in are getting a probe.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I just bought Parachutes on vinyl this year because it gives me nostalgia for my musical formative years, shopping for hot indie tunes on a Target end cap.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

resident posted:

I just bought Parachutes on vinyl this year because it gives me nostalgia for my musical formative years, shopping for hot indie tunes on a Target end cap.

I just bought their Live from Buenos Aires vinyl and it's great. Except ... The video part is a DVD and not Blu Ray... In 2019.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I love music!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay, I do have a drive by approach to this thread and Coldplay, but I’ll expand. A lot of their singles post AROFB are very radio pop, or in my mind, stadium pop. I don’t care how many times you’ve heard it, singing Vivi with 80,000 other people is a wonderful experience. Also, for the singles there’s really good poo poo in the albums that aren’t played. Birds would be an example, as would songs like O, Ink, or one of their newest, Arabesque. If they aren’t your jam, all good. But boring or saying their just pop filler is selling them wildly short.

As for non Coldplay stuff, Ive been listening to a lot of Cold War kids, think Death Cabs newest is one of their better albums, and think Mumford and sons latest was a real step in the right direction. And for the love of god would Imogen Heap come out with a new album instead of building another set of cool music gloves. (Yes, i was a teenager in the early 2000’s why do you ask?)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

BonoMan posted:

I just bought their Live from Buenos Aires vinyl and it's great. Except ... The video part is a DVD and not Blu Ray... In 2019.

This drove me nuts. And it’s such a good film too.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

resident posted:

I received The Late Show and Swear I'm Good at This in the mail on the same day. That day was yesterday.

SIGaT is marbley-sky-blue.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

LionArcher posted:

I don’t care how many times you’ve heard it, singing Vivi with 80,000 other people is a wonderful experience.

People also think this about Cardi B and Maroon 5, what's your point?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
And Drops of Jupiter.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Coldplay is indie? What the gently caress lol

They've been huge since the early 2000s

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rageaholic posted:

Coldplay is indie? What the gently caress lol

They've been huge since the early 2000s

Hahah holy poo poo. So I had this response typed up... basically "Coldplay isn't Indie... but this is also the pop thread." Then I look at the thread title and realize I have been reading it wrong the whole time. I thought it was the Indie/Rock/Pop thread.

I go out into the main forum and see there's a pop thread as well.

Holy poo poo Forums Bookmarks are the insular devil.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
For someone who kind of right now must fit multiple parts of Indie Rock/Pop/Folk/Electronic, I just scored tickets to Sturgill Simpson next April :hellyeah: He's playing *all* of Sound and Fury live, plus more. Can't loving wait.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ok been digging this track lately from Squid - The Cleaner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3XY6FPrbuM

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Coldplay is pop that mostly old people care about, and occasionally you still hear a guitar, so I think that means they're indie pop.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BonoMan posted:

Hahah holy poo poo. So I had this response typed up... basically "Coldplay isn't Indie... but this is also the pop thread." Then I look at the thread title and realize I have been reading it wrong the whole time. I thought it was the Indie/Rock/Pop thread.

I go out into the main forum and see there's a pop thread as well.

Holy poo poo Forums Bookmarks are the insular devil.

This has effectively become a general rock thread because attempts to cover other types of modern rock have failed to gain traction

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Here's some actual indie music: And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead are putting out their first album in 5 years in January and here's the lead single:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbXNaERHIfA

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Squid are cool. Have y'all been listening to Pottery? Listen to Pottery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR0cIB4iFP4

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Squid are cool. Have y'all been listening to Pottery? Listen to Pottery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR0cIB4iFP4

Pottery loving rocks live although I did not like them as much on record.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Rageaholic posted:

Here's some actual indie music: And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead are putting out their first album in 5 years in January and here's the lead single:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbXNaERHIfA

I'm super lame I know but I have been waiting for this for a couple of years now!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Rageaholic posted:

And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead

ahhhhhh I haven't thought of this band in ~many years~ and it's giving me college flashbacks

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
New Modest Mouse - it's... ok? Definitely not a single that's for sure. Overall I like it just not sure it really needs to be 6 minutes long, I was expecting a new Spitting Venom or Parting of the Sensory and it definitely isn't that

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Polo-Rican posted:

ahhhhhh I haven't thought of this band in ~many years~ and it's giving me college flashbacks

I saw them play Source Tags and Codes in its entirety at the Empty Bottle and it was amazing. And loud.

New Grimes is really good.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

The Walrus posted:

New Modest Mouse - it's... ok? Definitely not a single that's for sure. Overall I like it just not sure it really needs to be 6 minutes long, I was expecting a new Spitting Venom or Parting of the Sensory and it definitely isn't that

I really like it

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

LionArcher posted:

I saw them live in Austin and I was not impressed my friend lol

E: actually I’ve seen them in Mexico as well for their viva la vida tour. It just isn’t for me! Sorry for making a big general statement like that

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Walrus posted:

:same:

It's got some interesting parts but it doesn't seem to justify its length.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It's no Pistol that's for sure

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

That MM is loving horrible. Banal, repetitive lyrics, nothing vocals with melodies and bits he's already done, no dynamics, slick indistinct production. It's the exact opposite of good early Modest Mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ratios and Tendency posted:

That MM is loving horrible. Banal, repetitive lyrics, nothing vocals with melodies and bits he's already done, no dynamics, slick indistinct production. It's the exact opposite of good early Modest Mouse.
I don't think we're ever getting early Modest Mouse again :smith:

It was amazing while it lasted, but that hasn't been their style for a long time now.