Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

No, you can change stuff up if you like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Heck yeah

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm gonna romance valimar

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Shinjobi posted:

Poor Mint.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rean would only ever react like that if it involved his sister

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

well i liked the first panel of the joke, unfortunately the last two panels sucked

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Endorph posted:

well i liked the first panel of the joke, unfortunately the last two panels sucked

:same:

Thankfully "These awakening feelings...must be acknowledged" is strong enough leave an overall positive impression.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

What's everybody's VM strategy been so far? My big thing is getting a Blyx or two on the back row and throwing blazes at them while also buffing them with my Knight Master. Have yet to find a fight I couldn't win with that strat so far.

Speaking of VM I lost it when (chapter 3) Rutger revealed that he had been holding back a winning hand the whole time, even in the loving MINI GAME the villains find a way to pull that poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Put a bunch of whatever the fire ones are that can attack anywhere from the back row in your hand and hope they get drawn sooner rather than later. Only time I had any trouble with the card game was the storyline one.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
VALIMAR, THE ASHEN KNIGHT!!!

"Everyone politely waits and watches Rean jog over to his gundam and poof inside of it"

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Caidin posted:

VALIMAR, THE ASHEN KNIGHT!!!

"Everyone politely waits and watches Rean-THAT WON'T BE NECESSARY!"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Zaggitz posted:

What's everybody's VM strategy been so far? My big thing is getting a Blyx or two on the back row and throwing blazes at them while also buffing them with my Knight Master. Have yet to find a fight I couldn't win with that strat so far.

Speaking of VM I lost it when (chapter 3) Rutger revealed that he had been holding back a winning hand the whole time, even in the loving MINI GAME the villains find a way to pull that poo poo.

I just used the ranger master, which is probably not too different in practice?

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I think my favourite scene in the game is in chapter 4 when Rean just screams in Osborne's face "WHAT EVEN IS THE PHANTASMAL BLAZE PLAN?".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sakurazuka posted:

Rean would only ever react like that if it involved his sister

Yeah, Rean's way too chill to get angry over anything like that. He'd probably just laugh about it.

Zaggitz posted:

He was cheating too: he didn't have that many cards in hand when I won.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 12, 2019

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Very minor spoilers for Ch. 4: So, the graveyard. If you didn't check them out, all the graves are, in fact, readable for the name and birth/death. Most are just copy pastes repeated throughout, but there are three unique ones (aside from Crow's) hidden around. Specifically Julian Braun (the dead fiancee of the Leeves baker; lower section), Elsa Regnitz (Machias' cousin, mentioned in the first game; also lower section)... and Rudolf Arandor (upper section) - which MIGHT be a mistranslation, because...

Slightly more important spoiler: that's actually Rudolf ARUNDEL, aka Lechter's father. Not sure if it's mispelled because reasons, or if it's a NISA fuckup though.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
Chapter 3 and I feel like the game is just getting started.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Lord Koth posted:

Slightly more important spoiler: that's actually Rudolf ARUNDEL, aka Lechter's father. Not sure if it's mispelled because reasons, or if it's a NISA fuckup though.

My money's that being the work of Falcom themselves, they of the "Train Militaly Police"

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I beat the game and ended up missing just one profile page.

drat you Professor Schmidt 1 :argh:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I missed that one too, but I also missed a bunch of others so

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Lord Koth posted:

Very minor spoilers for Ch. 4: So, the graveyard. If you didn't check them out, all the graves are, in fact, readable for the name and birth/death. Most are just copy pastes repeated throughout, but there are three unique ones (aside from Crow's) hidden around. Specifically Julian Braun (the dead fiancee of the Leeves baker; lower section), Elsa Regnitz (Machias' cousin, mentioned in the first game; also lower section)... and Rudolf Arandor (upper section) - which MIGHT be a mistranslation, because...

That's really interesting but I still don't know if Lechter is evil or not

Still in chapter 4 though but I'm gonna guess it all depends on who killed his dad.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Lechter definitely has his own agenda. Whether that's good or bad is anyone's guess

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Final chapter spoilers He genuinely seemed upset at having to boss battle you but who knows if it was an act

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm having some problems with the final chapter because (final dungeon start) it's 2019 and my tolerance for 'well I'm Erebonian so I have to stand by the gaslighting rear end in a top hat and his literal apocalypse castle' is at an all-time low. My reaction to the main campus showing up just because Cedric told them to wasn't 'oh no how climactic' as it was probably supposed to be, it was 'lol get hosed then have you even looked behind you at the people you're working with'.

Basically give me Tokyo Xanadu 2 because that way Falcom can focus on happy-go-lucky times character writing which is absolutely their main strength.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 14, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Stelas posted:

I'm having some problems with the final chapter because (final dungeon start) it's 2019 and my tolerance for 'well I'm Erebonian so I have to stand by the gaslighting rear end in a top hat and his literal apocalypse castle' is at an all-time low. My reaction to the main campus showing up just because Cedric told them to wasn't 'oh no how climactic' as it was probably supposed to be, it was 'lol get hosed then'.

Basically give me Tokyo Xanadu 2 because that way Falcom can focus on happy-go-lucky times character writing which is absolutely their main strength.

To be honest I'm half-expecting Osborne to have some kind of subtle mind-control power, because frankly it makes no sense that anyone would be loyal to him or his literal apocalypse castle. So I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for now.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Clarste posted:

To be honest I'm half-expecting Osborne to have some kind of subtle mind-control power, because frankly it makes no sense that anyone would be loyal to him or his literal apocalypse castle. So I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for now.

Now that you mention it that's a good point, especially because (final chapter start) there's a convenient lampshade thanks to Emma doing the same thing to the entirety of the RMP in Heimdallr. You could probably also swing that anyone who's supposed to be dead has been gotten to in some more direct manner as per Crow.

I'm assuming that (ch4 end) with all the talk of how he changed, Osborne has probably been cursed in the same way Ash has, only he's much smarter about it or his is more insidious for... reasons. Unfortunately, this probably also means that Falcom, being Falcom, will probably give him a moment right at the end of Cold Steel 4 where he redeems himself and asks Rean to do things in his stead. Man, that's gonna leave a bitter taste if it happens.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Midway maybe through chapter 3, I don't know what your game is minor character but I'm loving watching you! Low key academics are not to be trusted in this series!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Stelas posted:

I'm assuming that (ch4 end) with all the talk of how he changed, Osborne has probably been cursed in the same way Ash has, only he's much smarter about it or his is more insidious for... reasons. Unfortunately, this probably also means that Falcom, being Falcom, will probably give him a moment right at the end of Cold Steel 4 where he redeems himself and asks Rean to do things in his stead. Man, that's gonna leave a bitter taste if it happens.

I mean, that would STILL be a step up from Ao's ending, where there wasn't even any sort of evil influence to try and excuse what the villain does and the heroes brushing it off.

Caidin posted:

Midway maybe through chapter 3, I don't know what your game is minor character but I'm loving watching you! Low key academics are not to be trusted in this series!

Hey now. Saying you can't completely trust spectacled professors in this series just because nearly every single one has turned out to be evil/antagonistic, is just rude. I mean, just look at Thomas. I mean, sure, you can't really completely trust him either, but that doesn't mean him (and Rosine) aren't generally cool people and on your side. :v:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Is it just me, or does Ash kind of suck? Like, his stats seem fine, and his Brave Order is really good and pays for itself, but his crafts never have a chance to actually hit the area they say they do, and cost too much. And then for some reason his default placement is in the back?

I don't get it. Other thing I noticed is Emma ate an enormous Nerf between games, which feels weird, because other characters were way more broken and largely kept all their cool poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Clarste posted:

I 100% assumed this to be true as 75% of the Ironbloods you fight at the end didn't really want to be there and Millium practically says that it's 'impossible' for them to go against him. Also all the 'he's not really human' stuff.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Go all out on boosting his strength, give him the minotaurus main quartz once you get it and he can do a ridiculous amount of damage. He does kinda suck early on though since his first couple crafts have such awkward positioning.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I have a bad case of "I use the characters I like and I don't care how poo poo they are in battle and if I don't like you, you're benched forever and I'm so hosed at the inevitable duel they will have".

I use Jean and Spar almost exclusively when I play Breath of Fire II. Nash gets buffed all to hell when I play Lunar. Adray and Roger are my main fighters in Star Ocean: 'Til the End of Time. And Wallace gets every stat boost item then stomps all over the bad guys when I play Fire Emblem.

And I will NEVER use Ash. Or Machias.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 14, 2019

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

Is it just me, or does Ash kind of suck? Like, his stats seem fine, and his Brave Order is really good and pays for itself, but his crafts never have a chance to actually hit the area they say they do, and cost too much. And then for some reason his default placement is in the back?

I don't get it. Other thing I noticed is Emma ate an enormous Nerf between games, which feels weird, because other characters were way more broken and largely kept all their cool poo poo.

I use Ash as my Sirus bot in boss fights because he doesn't need to rammed up someone's nose to bop them and he hits hard, plus his self buff and natural str inclination means he drops big meaty counters and 200cp S-crafts pretty often.

He good.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 14, 2019

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

I gave Ash Gloom and Zephyr so he could just poo poo status effects everywhere. He worked out pretty well for me. He might need an accessory that boosts his accuracy though.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008
The regulus master quartz is pretty good on Ash because you can just park him on top of bosses with rumbling smash and then keep his self-buff up and you'll have a near infinite well of CP and constant max strength buffs to throw out his S-craft with. Chevalier is a great sub quartz for this method as well, though it sucks that you don't get to use it with Ash because of the party breakup at the end of chapter 4, so you gotta wait for a NG+ run

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

His single-target craft does great break damage. Yeah, the AOEing is a weakness, though, especially with how many group boss fights there are.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Alright Chapter 3 complete! So the guy named G. Nome is in fact a gnome, eh? loving shocker. Also we actually no fooling won the fight? For real? Aurelia is one hell of a drug... Also I don't like the sound of that national mobilization policy.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I like Juna, she's got a lot of (Spoiler I guess if you haven't started the game at all) Estelle Bright in her personality-wise. It wasn't until just recently I noticed that both of their craft lists are really similar too. Cross break, is like Estelle's Hard Break - single target, small AOE, impedes. Gemini Blast has the same kind of range as Hurricane. Brave Smash is like Comet. Maybe I'm the last to notice though. I'm just wrapping up Chapter 2.

Some dialogue choices in this game are driving me nuts. I cannot believe how much they have women comment on how pretty other women are. Why do they try to get so much mileage out of girls' modesty when crawling through vents? It's every drat time. It's just tiresome. Reminds me of Ries in TitS 3 eating a lot. I get that it's like, the funniest thing in the world that a pretty lady would eat a lot, but jeez. It's too much.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Captain Lavender posted:

I like Juna, she's got a lot of (Spoiler I guess if you haven't started the game at all) Estelle Bright in her personality-wise. It wasn't until just recently I noticed that both of their craft lists are really similar too. Cross break, is like Estelle's Hard Break - single target, small AOE, impedes. Gemini Blast has the same kind of range as Hurricane. Brave Smash is like Comet. Maybe I'm the last to notice though. I'm just wrapping up Chapter 2.

Some dialogue choices in this game are driving me nuts. I cannot believe how much they have women comment on how pretty other women are. Why do they try to get so much mileage out of girls' modesty when crawling through vents? It's every drat time. It's just tiresome. Reminds me of Ries in TitS 3 eating a lot. I get that it's like, the funniest thing in the world that a pretty lady would eat a lot, but jeez. It's too much.

So it's funnier when you go thru vents in CS4 and Ash says "Nice rear end, Schwarzer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

I cannot believe how much they have women comment on how pretty other women are.

Juna just really likes pretty ladies. It's her doing it basically every time, and I'll take her doing it over Ash. Musse too I guess but she's just overwhelmingly horny anyways.