Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I think the xenomorphs are somewhat semi-sentient when isolated like on the Nostromo or Sevastopol away from a queen, but are in a hive mind when in the presence of a queen(s) and therefor smarter. The queens are most likely near sentient, but their use of consciousness is to protect the eggs at all costs. There was a comic where a general learned a rudimentary way of communication with a queen, I guess you could compare it to a dog or a monkey but I think the speed of learning pointed to some intelligence. Here's a vid about the comic if anyone wants to see

Sadly because the internet ruins everything, in my dives for the deviantart thread, there are people who sexualize aliens in the same manner as sparkle dogs. I can't decided if it's not at all surprising given the psycho sexual imagery of Giger's work, or completely bananas since it's such a cutesy furry sexuality. I'm not it's all sexual but, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Linux Pirate posted:

Sadly because the internet ruins everything, in my dives for the deviantart thread, there are people who sexualize aliens in the same manner as sparkle dogs. I can't decided if it's not at all surprising given the psycho sexual imagery of Giger's work, or completely bananas since it's such a cutesy furry sexuality. I'm not it's all sexual but, yeah.

Huh? I don't see anything weird.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The Zombie Guy posted:

Anyway I think I've put way more thought into this than some of the script writers.
I think we're all guilty of this, but then we've had several decades to do so.

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's as intelligent as bugs are. Self preservation is what just about every living thing has and is why they continue to exist. Even bacteria.

They're obviously intelligent enough to know not to attack when the queen says so but they don't use tools or anything. I doubt they could fly/land/crash/disintegrate a spaceship willingly.

I prefer this as well. They're dangerous enough already. If they could operate weapons/computers/ships/etc. they'd be unstoppable.

But ... what about Hudson: "How can they cut the power, man? They're just animals!"

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Lossy Compression posted:

I prefer this as well. They're dangerous enough already. If they could operate weapons/computers/ships/etc. they'd be unstoppable.

But ... what about Hudson: "How can they cut the power, man? They're just animals!"

Giant space bugs crawling around in maintenance spaces without knowing what they are is bound to cause problems for the maintenance man on his next shift.

It was an unhappy accident :v:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

The Zombie Guy posted:

One of the books goes way into the xenos as soldiers bit. Can't remember which novel it was, but the gist was (spoilered just in case) an army guy captures a Queen, and uses her to control the drones. By threatening to burn up the Queen's eggs, the Queen is pacified, and the drones are somewhat domesticated. It gets to the point where he spraypaints unit numbers on the drones in preparation for warfare. IIRC, as the first battle is about to begin, the Queen goes "nah, we're done now", and dude gets splattered.

Sounds like Nightmare Asylum.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017
All this talk about sexualized Xenos and I can't help but imagine the surprise your Xeno girlfriend would give you when you ask her to eat your rear end out.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:lol:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

eat the asscid

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

hrrgnh engineer im trying to sneak around but im dummy thicc and the clap from my rear end cheeks keeps alerting the humans

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

What if the alien and Geordi became "special" friends in a "special" episode?

Please like and subscribe.

This thread was a lot cooler before you showed up.

(turn on yuor mobtir!)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

i don't remember this action figure growing up

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You'd really need to stay away from her at that time of the month. "AITA reddit? My girlfriend keeps throwing her used tampons in the regular trash can and dissolving it instead of using the acid-proof one I bought for her. She says I need to stop nagging, but it's costing me a fortune!"

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Shbobdb posted:

That's fair. I just never really saw the jockey as a kid and LOL if you think the aliens didn't kill him before he could land. Why would he land?

To get the gently caress off the ship with a bunch of murder aliens

It didn't work out

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Well now I want to see a bunch of xenomorphs in Star Trek uniforms being all polite to each other and stuff.

Fan film anyone?

In the series of short films that were released recently, one was about an artifical person who got stuck on a spaceship alone with an alien who didn't have any reason to kill her, and the shenanigans they get into together.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Sunswipe posted:

You'd really need to stay away from her at that time of the month. "AITA reddit? My girlfriend keeps throwing her used tampons in the regular trash can and dissolving it instead of using the acid-proof one I bought for her. She says I need to stop nagging, but it's costing me a fortune!"

Gross dude

I chuckled at this

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Yass Queen!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Oscar Wild posted:

Yrear end Queen!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Linux Pirate posted:

Oh god I remember that, I thought that was pretty cheesy imo. Not the home world part, but their natural predators. They looked vaguely like a cross between freddy freaker and a trandoshan that walked on all fours, and had cream of mushroom soup colored skin.

If xenos did evolve on their own you'd think they'd be the prime species of that planet. As for keeping them in check, they (I think) require hosts to survive, once a hive dies out the eggs are the only way to continue the species. That's what I gathered from Labyrinth anyway, but I'm not sure if that hive was just stick. I don't a ton about the AvP EU so I could very well be spouting nonsense.
Even if the xenomorphs were the top dog on their home planet the other things on the planet probably evolved resistances and defences alongside them. So maybe the prey species' immune systems can usually kill off the implanted embryo or it takes years to develop or it bursts out in a non-fatal manner. It's only something from outside that arms race where they go from facehugged to chestburstered in 24 hours, with the exponential growth that implies.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

evobatman posted:

In the series of short films that were released recently, one was about an artifical person who got stuck on a spaceship alone with an alien who didn't have any reason to kill her, and the shenanigans they get into together.

Holy Hell, I thought that was the best one! gently caress David, ole girl-bot feels for her little facehugger buddy. Divorced from, and abandoned by, humanity both. What is the synthetic human to think?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Link it please!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Holy poo poo, I entirely forgot about that little IGN 40th anniversary series! Here's the one mentioned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGWEihrIBvk

Non-spoilers: The Science Officer on a WY vessel (which was abandoned by the remaining human crew after... circumstances) makes a friend.

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 14, 2019

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Thank you!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

evobatman posted:

Still not as bad as what happened to Doctor Church in the comic series.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Splicer posted:

Even if the xenomorphs were the top dog on their home planet the other things on the planet probably evolved resistances and defences alongside them. So maybe the prey species' immune systems can usually kill off the implanted embryo or it takes years to develop or it bursts out in a non-fatal manner. It's only something from outside that arms race where they go from facehugged to chestburstered in 24 hours, with the exponential growth that implies.

That's a good point. Their home world could be filled with a bunch of hardcore critters.

I personally still like to think they're engineered bioweapons though. I like the idea of the jockeys designing an organism so deadly they accidentally wiped themselves out.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Still not as bad as what happened to Doctor Church in the comic series.

Yeah but he was a fatuous rah-rah boy, and I couldn't hate him enough.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

Splicer posted:

Nah Bro, Swimbots taught me only the strong survive.

Seriously though, this is an interesting theory. That would have to some badass organism due to how devastating Xenos are as a parasite. They lay waste pretty quick. Any organism that could evolve defenses would be just as terrifying. Like you stated, they would have to evolve to combat the implanting. They would also have to be pretty fearsome fighters to survive given how dangerous the Xeno is. They wouldn't necessarily have to overpower the Xenos, just withstand them.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Linux Pirate posted:

That's a good point. Their home world could be filled with a bunch of hardcore critters.

I personally still like to think they're engineered bioweapons though. I like the idea of the jockeys designing an organism so deadly they accidentally wiped themselves out.

That's basically Prometheus and Covenant.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Beef Thief posted:

Seriously though, this is an interesting theory. That would have to some badass organism due to how devastating Xenos are as a parasite. They lay waste pretty quick. Any organism that could evolve defenses would be just as terrifying. Like you stated, they would have to evolve to combat the implanting. They would also have to be pretty fearsome fighters to survive given how dangerous the Xeno is. They wouldn't necessarily have to overpower the Xenos, just withstand them.

Acid proof turtles.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

That's basically Prometheus and Covenant.

Oh :smith:

I meant it more like they were manufactured hundreds of millions of years ago by elephant alien astronauts, and not by handsome Squidward playing with black goo along with Leonardo De David cultivating little xenos and playing the flute.

It's basically just my dumb, nit picky nerd dream.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I don't mind the idea of xenomorphs being a result of bioengineering.

I do mind the way this theory is meted out in Prometheus and Alien: Covenant.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Until Prometheus and Alien Covenant I thought the xenomorphs were something that the Predators cultivated and hunted for the hell of it because of the AvP movies and comics, but I don't recall thinking of them having gone through bio-engineering. I pictured it more like dog domestication except starting at wolves and going even more feral and vicious instead of tame and playful.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

I do mind the way this theory is meted out in Prometheus and Alien: Covenant.

:same:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
God, Covenant was such a loving embarrassment. It took me a couple viewings of Prometheus to get what people were saying about its flaws, but I could tell Covenant was hot garbage like 20 minutes in.

Someone needs to hit Ridley Scott over the head and take the Alien franchise away from him before he does more damage.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

God, Covenant was such a loving embarrassment. It took me a couple viewings of Prometheus to get what people were saying about its flaws, but I could tell Covenant was hot garbage like 20 minutes in.

Someone needs to hit Ridley Scott over the head and take the Alien franchise away from him before he does more damage.

That's just the thing though isn't it? Alien should never have been a franchise. The first movie works very well on its own as a self-contained horror film, Aliens also being really good is mostly just down to how well it took the same basic ingredients and instead made it into a very different movie (which also mostly stands on its own).

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

frogge posted:

Until Prometheus and Alien Covenant I thought the xenomorphs were something that the Predators cultivated and hunted for the hell of it because of the AvP movies and comics, but I don't recall thinking of them having gone through bio-engineering. I pictured it more like dog domestication except starting at wolves and going even more feral and vicious instead of tame and playful.

Yeah, I also had the pet theory that the Xenos were made by the predators for the predators to hunt and not just planted.

The way they change based on what they incubate would make for an interesting quarry too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Linux Pirate posted:

Beef Thief posted:

It's probably safe to assume the acid blood and whatever makes the acid blood not dissolve the Aliens is prevalent, but after that they don't even have to be that badass, just more resistant or better adapted. There are parasites on Earth that are a minor inconvenience to the things they live in usually but do weird rear end and fatal stuff when they hit Humans. Or maybe their immune systems attack the chestburster as it develops so it usually just dies or is born kind of weedy, and the absolute murderousness of the film xenomorphs are due to them growing in a defenceless environment. Or maybe most things on alienworld have multiple lungholes and the chestbursting thing is because they're getting lost on their way out, and being aliened is an endemic and very unpleasant but survivable fact of life, like hookworms. Or it could even be a symbiotic relationship. I just really like the idea of Aliens being a problem because they're an invasive species rather than because they're inherently ecologically destructive.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't like the idea that anyone or anything had a hand in the xeno's creation. Just plain ol' evolution.

With AvP I'd like to think that the predators just captured the Aliens and used them for game. The aliens are so terrible and perfect killing machines that nothing can contain them. Yeah, someone could have designed them that way and they just got out of hand and escaped but that just doesn't do it for me. I want to believe that they are their own species that evolved all of the defenses like acid blood.

:shrug:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Finally finished up reading this megathread. Really great stuff, well worth my time. I've ordered Aliens: Cold Forge and Aliens: Platinum Edition because of this thread, but that didn't sate my hunger. I found a :filez: free comic website and have been reading through the Aliens: Omnibuses (skipping what's in Platinum), and god drat Xenomrph was on point with the Labyrinth recommendation. The Backsplash (?) story that goes into it is also fantastic.

Currently going through Omnibus 4 and found this super cursed future timeline:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:chloe: