Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Analog sticks are better than keyboard+mouse for moving, swimming, driving, flying but not aiming and I almost exclusively play shooters on pc, end of story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
mouse controls are only superior for fps because those games give your avatar unnatural vampire reflexes. in reality a person can not spin around 180 degrees in 1/8 of a second without falling over.

This is why flight sims and vehicle games in general are perfectly fine with a control stick. your aiming ability is limited by the turning rate of the plane. If fps games modeled human anatomy properly than the mouse advantage would vanish.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

If that were the only reason then aim assist would not need to exist for controllers in console exclusive games.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

edit : actually who cares lol

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 14, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Weirdly from what I remember, Mechwarrior feels more realistically weighty and like moving a person around than typical FPSes.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Weirdly from what I remember, Mechwarrior feels more realistically weighty and like moving a person around than typical FPSes.

If I'm remembering Mechwarrior correctly, Red Orchestra handles it the same way and it feels very realistic.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I honestly dislike the tendency towards adding weight to characters in FPS games. Like in UT2k4 you have no weight or volume at all but it feels great, in Gears of War you are this lumbering oaf with big dumb armor and muscles and I hate how that game plays

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I want FPS’s to introduce the San Andreas ‘fatness’ mechanic

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

I honestly dislike the tendency towards adding weight to characters in FPS games. Like in UT2k4 you have no weight or volume at all but it feels great, in Gears of War you are this lumbering oaf with big dumb armor and muscles and I hate how that game plays

shoutout to gordon freeman coasting frictionless across the polished floors of black mesa

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The first mass effect has better combat than the rest of the series.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

The first mass effect has better combat than the rest of the series.

the biggest crime of outer worlds was invoking mass effect 1's elevator scenes without any actual dialog

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 14, 2019

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

what every elevator needs is a Wrex.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

poverty goat posted:

the biggest crime of outer worlds was invoking mass effect 1's elevator scenes without any actual dialog

Yuck. Masking load times is fine, but that artificially locks them to a certain length without any entertainment to distract the player? Mass effect came out a decade ago, we know how badly that will age.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm playing through the ME trilogy again atm and really the only elevator that bothers me in 1 is the one in the Normandy that is sooooooo slow to go down like 10 feet.

plus it doesn't have Wrex in it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Here's some hard-hitting gaming journalism/russian propaganda from RT

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

now?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

*burst into thread out of breath and sweating*

GUYS GUYS GUYS

Hideo Kojima is actually extremely up his own rear end, can you believe it?

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Flannelette posted:

Analog sticks are better than keyboard+mouse for moving, swimming, driving, flying but not aiming and I almost exclusively play shooters on pc, end of story.

This is correct and why the steam controller w/ motion control fine tuning is God's FPS control scheme.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rutibex posted:

mouse controls are only superior for fps because those games give your avatar unnatural vampire reflexes. in reality a person can not spin around 180 degrees in 1/8 of a second without falling over.

This is why flight sims and vehicle games in general are perfectly fine with a control stick. your aiming ability is limited by the turning rate of the plane. If fps games modeled human anatomy properly than the mouse advantage would vanish.

They would have to model human anatomy and fix the precision issue I described earlier. Flipping your character around very quickly is not the only advantage

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

big nipples big life posted:

*burst into thread out of breath and sweating*

GUYS GUYS GUYS

Hideo Kojima is actually extremely up his own rear end, can you believe it?

https://twitter.com/Ryan_Socks/status/936754025101488128

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Shibawanko posted:

You know what's bullshit?

The fact that the Gamecube's official abbreviation was "GCN". What the gently caress is that supposed to stand for? GameCube Nintendo?

Smokin on that indo/GameCube Nintendo

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't mind Hideo Kojima at all and enjoy the few games of his that I played (MGS2 mostly), it seems like people have an excessive hatred for the guy and I dunno why really.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I like most of his games and think he has done some visionary poo poo in games but he is hugely up his own rear end.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Shibawanko posted:

I don't mind Hideo Kojima at all and enjoy the few games of his that I played (MGS2 mostly), it seems like people have an excessive hatred for the guy and I dunno why really.

He's a wierd holdover of the time when video games were down by super small teams and the leads for big names paraded around like rock stars to some kids.

I've seen a lot more people fawning over him than angry, but I can still see why he would rub people the wrong way. Especially since he absolutely is an idiot savant with his head up his rear end and no idea what he's talking about half the time.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I know it's not really indicative of much, but it cracks me up that Conan O'Brien went to visit the studio and Kojima was literally like "gently caress it, we've got the body-scanner still set up, wanna be in the game?"

e: also while the Monster Energy thing is pretty goofy, it pales in comparison to the fact that when you take a poo poo in-game, the outside of the toilet stall displays a promo for Norman Reedus' motorcycle TV show

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
They did the body scan thing with a bunch of journalists and other people so it was totally planned. Still cool as heck that Conan of all people is in that game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't know of anyone who hates Kojima but I know a lot of people who think he's insane

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

I am ~10 hours into death stranding now (i am the biggest hideo fan, mgs2 is my favorite game ever) and i am starting to enjoy it. I just delivered a pizza in 30 minutes or less to Peter and he is very grateful.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Some games do this, you do it by having the mouse control an imaginary cursor and the aiming follow it at a realistic speed.

It's funny playing Max Payne 3 on the PC because the engine is all set up to have realistic animations that make your body move at the speed a person could (so looks fine on a controller) but then you add a mouse and it breaks the animations over a table because they couldn't limit the aim speed of it. I imagine RedDead 2 on PC does it too.

QuarkJets posted:

They would have to model human anatomy and fix the precision issue I described earlier. Flipping your character around very quickly is not the only advantage

VR controllers are pretty close to getting it right, give it another decade.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Flannelette posted:

Some games do this, you do it by having the mouse control an imaginary cursor and the aiming follow it at a realistic speed.

It's funny playing Max Payne 3 on the PC because the engine is all set up to have realistic animations that make your body move at the speed a person could (so looks fine on a controller) but then you add a mouse and it breaks the animations over a table because they couldn't limit the aim speed of it. I imagine RedDead 2 on PC does it too.

VR controllers are pretty close to getting it right, give it another decade.

We’ll all be dead by then!

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
For fucks sake! I fired up the new Terminator game and it doesn't have inverted mouse. Looked around and nobody can seem to find a way to edit it in with a ini file or anything. How the gently caress do you make an FPS in 2019 and forget to add that option?
Oh and it also doesn't register either of my gamepads so that's also not an option.
Gonna wait a couple of days and if it's not fixed I'll get a refund. It's too bad because it's supposed to be decent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

I don't know of anyone who hates Kojima but I know a lot of people who think he's insane

As a compliment?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

poverty goat posted:

The best elevator game is Timesplitters Future Perfect.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

People somehow got the impression that Kojima fans seem to think he's some kind of deep philosophical writer when literally 90% of MGS discussion is making fun of the stupid poo poo he writes in his games and how stuck up his rear end he gets.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'm pretty sure nobody ever took the finger guns scene seriously.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ishikabibble posted:

People somehow got the impression that Kojima fans seem to think he's some kind of deep philosophical writer when literally 90% of MGS discussion is making fun of the stupid poo poo he writes in his games and how stuck up his rear end he gets.

I don't think it's the best thing ever written but as a bit of technological sci fi MGS2 is pretty decent, and stands far above something like Bioshock so I can forgive the guy for having a somewhat inflated personality

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Did people somehow miss that Ocelot spends literally every scene he's ever in being the campiest goofy rear end motherfucker to exist

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I was 18 when MGS came out and thought it was super deep and genius. Then I grew up and realised what utter horse poo poo it really is. Utter glorious and magnificent horse poo poo.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

MGS2 reminfs me sorta of the works of Stanislaw Lem in a way, it wouldn't surprise me if Lem was one of the sources for it. It also has shades of Pynchon and uses a game to make these ideas come to life. I don't think that the codec was the best way to go about this but it's still one of the rare games that I actually remember for the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I cant think of many other stories with a septuple agent or whatever ocelot wound up being. I choose to believe that in the end, even he didn't know who he was really working for.