Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I had a lot of fun writing a pseudo-dark comedy scenario in a Coldest War style alt-timeline. A woman who is a government secretary in the 50s does some sleuthing, and makes contact with the Mi-Go. These Mi-Go are stranded on earth, abandoned by the now-deserted Pluto because the outpost discovered Something Terrible was coming to the solar system, and they cut their losses and ran screaming without bothering to extract their earth agents.

She strikes a deal with them - she wants immortality, they want the secrets of human ingenuity and some of our resources, so they agree to disagree and become a small pact looking for a way to protect the earth from the coming evil, while playing with fire with old one artifacts and protomatter experiments, trying to discover a way to share genetics to enhance the Mi-Go's science and biology, and the secretary's body horror quest to go from human, to brain in a jar, to a Five Night's style animatronic horror (piloted by the brain in a jar), to walking demigod when she finally achieves a machine/protomatter hybrid body.

The biggest problem with Lovecraft is the nerd core's obsession with keeping it in its origins and doing the same slime-and-racism marathon with Innsmouth, instead of allowing the genre to adapt with the times and explore other avenues. Annihilation did a wonderful job of taking climate change fears, plus cosmic horror, and adapting it to a modern take as one example of moving past the roots Lovecraft set down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Just read Junji Ito

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My 3 brilliant lovecraft game ideas

An idle/clicker game where you have to repeatedly manage getting paid for babysitting an old man and his air conditioner while spending money to go out and purchase ice and tools for repairing and maintaining and improving the air conditioner

The Incredible Machine but your large contraption only accomplishes the goal of using cats to murder a horrid old cat-murdering shitheads

A procedurally generated maze game where you are wearing a space suit on Venus and have limited oxygen and water, the walls are invisible, and you have to find a way out before dying of suffocation or dehydration, all while more and more aliens gather at the perimeter to mock you

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 14, 2019

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

FirstAidKite posted:

My 3 brilliant lovecraft game ideas

An idle/clicker game where you have to repeatedly manage getting paid for babysitting an old man and his air conditioner while spending money to go out and purchase ice and tools for repairing and maintaining and improving the air conditioner

The Incredible Machine but your large contraption only accomplishes the goal of using cats to murder a horrid old car-murdering shitheads

A procedurally generated maze game where you are wearing a space suit on Venus and have limited oxygen and water, the walls are invisible, and you have to find a way out before dying of suffocation or dehydration, all while more and more aliens gather at the perimeter to mock you

That Cats of Ulthar game sounds like it'd be fun, and the In the Walls of Eryx one would certainly be interesting, you could certainly do something weird with it. Can we get a game out of that romantic comedy he wrote?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I still feel like there's a timeline out there where the 90s CRPG scene saw a Delta Green game that became an unsung cult classic with gigantic amounts of content and weird game conditions

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

al-azad posted:

For real though I want the ultimate anti-Lovecraft cosmic horror. A story set in the poor south like the Appalachians where the real horror isn't a mixed blood monkey-man or poor working class fishermen who turn into fish monsters but rather the old money weirdos who can trace their lineage back multiple generations and they're all gross inbreds whose ancestors hosed abominations to come into power. That trope of the feeble old lord dying alone in his manor except he's dying of radiation poison from riding byakhees through space so he's siphoning the life from his minority caretaker.

This is really close to a verbatim description of Bloodborne. There's still the degenerate fish people etc present, but the actual working class is mostly portrayed as victims and the actual villains are all institutional power structures that have basically commodified and co-opted the corrupting evil eldritch power.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

One easy way to do modern cosmic horror with some commentary, is to paint a scenario where humanity is shown to be on the verge of a full Mythos ascension, by way of creating their own Great Old Ones from corporations essentially collapsing into sentience from the mass sacrifice and worship that empowers them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Even the eldritch powers are relatively friendly, really. There are like three bosses that refuse to attack you unless you hit them first.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

speaking of lovecraft, the Colour Out of Space movie adaptation is coming soon, and apparently the "colour" is bisexual lighting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agnpaFLo0to

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cardiovorax posted:

Even the eldritch powers are relatively friendly, really. There are like three bosses that refuse to attack you unless you hit them first.

They were just giving people what they asked for. There was merely a vast gulf of understanding between them, not really much actual malice for the most part. Bloodborne is an extremely good update on Cosmic Horror.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

speaking of lovecraft, the Colour Out of Space movie adaptation is coming soon, and apparently the "colour" is bisexual lighting

what

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Cardiovorax posted:

I spent a good several minutes looking for a way to not initiate the Rom fight on my first playthrough because she(?) looks so non-threatening and chill, but alas :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Rom is just doing good by humans to keep them safe.

The Brain of Mensis is also good because it is basically just a thing that exists and isn't necessarily trying to be malicious towards you and it'll actually reward you for figuring out a way to communicate with it.

The fish people iirc were all pretty much just victims too of higher authorities going in and loving the place up, weren't they?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The fish people exist in a dream and may not actually be a real thing in reality so much as a metaphorical embodiment of the crime committed by the Healing Church.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Was that fuckin Tommy Chong what the gently caress.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I keep thinking about reinstalling The Stinking City in the hopes that maybe this time it will be better?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish the original draft of Eryx survived and frankly I’m surprised the anti-colonialist ending remained intact. If I were to guess Lovecraft lengthened the passages for publication and added the jabs at other authors.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPW376ES7zs

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRGKVBQXogg

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Glagha posted:

Was that fuckin Tommy Chong what the gently caress.

It's a weird cast

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Lowtax's daughter speaking the hard truths.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Going back to Silent Hill, James' supreme selfishness as the being the center of his story, even in the context of the other individuals in Silent Hill, is why I like the psychological story less than the cult aspects of 1 and 3. The story of Silent Hill 1 rapidly shifts from Harry's quest to Alessa's as you realize she was leading you on to liberate herself and I think that's a cool touch and that's followed up in SH3 with Heather practically becoming an action hero. Every time the horror tries to torture her she's resolved to whoop rear end.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Disposable Scud posted:

I keep thinking about reinstalling The Stinking City in the hopes that maybe this time it will be better?

I want to get back to that game, but then I remember my options are an autosave in which I am underwater with a sliver of health, or a manual save that would require me to do a lot of back tracking to re-complete letter quests.

The underwater portions of that game are so, so bad.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FirstAidKite posted:

Rom is just doing good by humans to keep them safe.

The Brain of Mensis is also good because it is basically just a thing that exists and isn't necessarily trying to be malicious towards you and it'll actually reward you for figuring out a way to communicate with it.

The fish people iirc were all pretty much just victims too of higher authorities going in and loving the place up, weren't they?

Bloodborne's an interesting setting because it's like, what if people discovered an eldritch horror and instead of fleeing in terror or trying to kill it, they thought 'huh, we can use this'? And then they developed penicillin, but this penicillin is actually an abominable drug that turns you into a monster. And the treatment for it? More cosmic penicillin.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

One creepy detail I like a lot in Bloodborne is so small, but it's the kind of thing I really like. So if you go through with the whole kin covenant thing that you can do in The Old Hunters, you get the lumenflower form rune that makes your body all weird and cosmic-flora-y, then you get the Kos parasite from Orphan and if you have both on, your animations change quite a bit, you get some new moves and things with the parasite, but in particular your dodge animations also turn into movements that look more like you're being protectively yoinked around by an invisible force, rather than a purposeful dodge step and intentional roll and stuff like they normally are, your backstep looks like someone just yanked you back by your coat, your forward roll turns into more like a forward tumble onto your rear end, it's great.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Lovecraft is, was, forever will be racist. May the whining babies all upset about it being brought up again start sweating and handwringing to their hearts' content.

Poulpe posted:

I've always felt like everybody loved Silent Hill 2 and James Sunderland's Extreme Metaphor Town so why didn't they just stick to that? Go full twin peaks, let the town be a bizarre rear end fun house of personal torments, there is such a huge space for building stories in that environment. Maybe even give a protagonist the ability to see others' funhouse nonsense but none of his own!

They tried this in Homecoming, to an extent. They took all the wrong lessons from it, and we came away with some edgelord nonsense monsters, a story that barely came together, and a loving stupid end boss played with the usual misogynistic shock value.

And it's not that people haven't 'stuck with it'-- it's that they did, and most don't really have the writing chops to handle it. 'It was me, I did this, and I am now trapped in my own hellworld' is, as others have mentioned, every horror game that's spiraled out from the SH2 era, since most of the current crop of horror writers were almost certainly influenced by it, in one way or another. And though SH2 is good, I still think it's given more accolades than it legitimately deserves, but I've soured pretty heavily on the game as I've gotten older, so YMMV.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Lowtax's daughter speaking the hard truths.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Old Boot posted:

May the whining babies all upset about it being brought up again start sweating and handwringing to their hearts' content.

It's more that it's become the most tiredly trotted out literature pop factoid, often from people wanting low effort gotchas or slapfights and so it's never worth much more than "Okay, yes?" most of the time. It's not secret knowledge, it never was, but at the same time so much 'Lovecraftian' fiction has now been reiterated upon and spun and consumed past his death, that many of the things in his work born originally as stretches of his racism and shut-in phobias have practically been scrubbed of said intent by so many people just using the good creepy parts without any of his own shittiness recontextualizing the content. Things like games more than anything at that, where fish people and cosmic monsters are just fish people and cosmic monsters to almost everybody now, instead of some spooky miscegenation horrors and the non-english. And honestly, his works being taken by people and reused without his own personal weird baggage is probably the best outcome, using the plenty good and freaky parts of his work on their own merits as horror stuff and his hang-ups being washed off them by time and that use is good. Obviously don't let people ever try and play revisionist that he himself wasn't a complete mess of a person, but outside of that, it's mostly a who cares, the guy named his super beloved cat Niggerman, he was a wreck of a person to his peers even at the time, someone who could come up with neat concepts when removed enough from his craziness and he's long since dead now.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Old Boot posted:

Lovecraft is, was, forever will be racist. May the whining babies all upset about it being brought up again start sweating and handwringing to their hearts' content.

dogstile posted:

Lovecraft chat is going to be a staple because it features so heavily in horror, but I can't wait for the next genius to point out that he was racist again.

we know, gently caress off, you're not clever

sorry dogstile i was wrong, our long national nightmare will never be over

King of Bleh posted:

This is really close to a verbatim description of Bloodborne. There's still the degenerate fish people etc present, but the actual working class is mostly portrayed as victims and the actual villains are all institutional power structures that have basically commodified and co-opted the corrupting evil eldritch power.

Bloodborne really does sound amazing, I'd really like if I didn't have to buy a PS4 to experience it. I never finished any of the souls games as they were just tedious to learn and the plot payoff didn't seem worth it, but every time I hear about Bloodborne, it really sounds like it's worth the time investment. Just the part about what the Insight stat alone ends up revealing is really cool.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Skyscraper posted:

Bloodborne really does sound amazing, I'd really like if I didn't have to buy a PS4 to experience it. I never finished any of the souls games as they were just tedious to learn and the plot payoff didn't seem worth it, but every time I hear about Bloodborne, it really sounds like it's worth the time investment. Just the part about what the Insight stat alone ends up revealing is really cool.

The Bloodborne lore you can read is a lot more interesting than the lore the game presents, or rather the way it presents it.

Insight stat is neat but there are really only a couple thresholds, rather than a gradual reveal of things to see.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Morpheus posted:

The Bloodborne lore you can read is a lot more interesting than the lore the game presents, or rather the way it presents it.

Aw, that's too bad.

Morpheus posted:

Insight stat is neat but there are really only a couple thresholds, rather than a gradual reveal of things to see.

Yes! I was specifically talking about the amygdala.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Someone needs to do a full Mythos style game like Disco Elysium. Combine it with a little less branching and a little more visual fuckery, and you’d have a real fun ride - especially if it remembers to allow the Dreamlands aesthetic!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Skyscraper posted:

Get a PS4 just to play Bloodborne and Horizon Zero Dawn and it'll be worth it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The fish people in Bloodborne were pretty much entirely victims as well, the lore is something like Kos washed up from the sea on the fishing hamlet's shore, the Byrgenwerth scholars/hunters hear that a great one's physical body is on the shore so they roll out Laurence, Maria, Gehrman and Ludwig to investigate, they show up and see that the village is surprisingly still there, just fish people now from Kos's (Seemingly beneficial) influence. But Byrgenwerth being what they are, massacre the villagers to search their heads for 'eyes' for their attempts at ascension. They then find Kos's beached body, complete with the then alive Orphan of Kos, who they snatch from her body and take back to Byrgenwerth, where they got their first umbilical cord of the eyes, which also results in them being pretty much infinity cursed by Kos. All the worst poo poo in Bloodborne is basically thanks to the big powerful group and then groups trying to exploit cosmic creatures for their own ends.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 14, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Old Boot posted:

And though SH2 is good, I still think it's given more accolades than it legitimately deserves
Silent Hill 2 has received a lot of well-deserved acclaim for being the best game of the Silent Hill series.

How good that actually makes it is a very different question, though.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Just about every one of the Silent Hill games has at least some cool ideas. Most of them are hated for pulling those ideas off poorly. C'est la horror media.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Skyscraper posted:

:v:

There's always one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Old Boot posted:

They tried this in Homecoming, to an extent. They took all the wrong lessons from it, and we came away with some edgelord nonsense monsters, a story that barely came together, and a loving stupid end boss played with the usual misogynistic shock value.

pump the brakes

the final boss of homecoming was an iron-lung spider boy, someone help me see the misogyny here

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Oxxidation posted:

pump the brakes

the final boss of homecoming was an iron-lung spider boy, someone help me see the misogyny here

You should look up that boss again because it's defs not a boy, it's a multi-titted nude pregnant lady with tubes in her orifices.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Catfishenfuego posted:

You should look up that boss again because it's defs not a boy, it's a multi-titted nude pregnant lady with tubes in her orifices.

*peers closer* well i'll be dipped, so it is

that thing is supposed to represent the protagonist's guilt over letting his brother drown, why is it a big-titted lady? homecoming was so terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Oxxidation posted:

that thing is supposed to represent the protagonist's guilt over letting his brother drown, why is it a big-titted lady?

Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

When’s that Ito tribute game due? All it says is “2019”, which seems optimistic. I’m expecting something like The Daily Cthonicle, more of a horror board game than anything.