Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Reading is a such a bourgeois activity. You so-called "leftists" should be ashamed. Your bookshelves are nothing but monuments to idle leisure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Xaris posted:

u can now close the book and burn it for warmth

hell yeah i remember that part so it must be in the first 300 pages

i also remember and still sometimes get disturbed when i think about when they gagged the guy and tied him to the chair but he had some chronic nasal allergies and couldnt breathe properly through his nose and died like that and sometimes when my allergies really get serious i imagine what it would be like if i couldnt breathe through my mouth and how loving terrible it would be to die like that

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

pet that cat!

U have no idea how many pets she and her brother get omg

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/amandamull/status/1195057766483841031

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

mormonpartyboat posted:

the weird disconnected misery and anxiety of the front half is a kind of tension that's released during the final stretches where you drown in whitespace

yea the story part was pretty good but the literal noise was completely off-putting

like "oh now it's time for me to scan pages full of garbage in search of where more narrative can be found", like, no thanks

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

my high school had a copy of gravity's rainbow in the library and I was the only person to ever check it out

it was cool because once my lit teacher saw me bring it in I never had to do any of the actual coursework again

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

emfive posted:

yea the story part was pretty good but the literal noise was completely off-putting

like "oh now it's time for me to scan pages full of garbage in search of where more narrative can be found", like, no thanks

and yet u read this thread

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/paprbckparadise/status/1195059976135274496?s=21

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

baw posted:

hell yeah i remember that part so it must be in the first 300 pages

i also remember and still sometimes get disturbed when i think about when they gagged the guy and tied him to the chair but he had some chronic nasal allergies and couldnt breathe properly through his nose and died like that and sometimes when my allergies really get serious i imagine what it would be like if i couldnt breathe through my mouth and how loving terrible it would be to die like that

I made it maybe 3/4 into IJ, and this also is the only part of reading it I remember in the slightest.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

baw posted:

how do i know where the good parts are

Skip everything w/hal and you'll be fine probably

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Just heard a loud bang outside and now the power is out. Wtf.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sadly no one from the past could predict how much nothing would matter

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
My wife read Anna Karenina a year or two ago, it took her a while and her take-away was that it's about crazy rich idiots

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

emfive posted:

i dug it for that exact reason, like it was anxiety pushed on the reader through loving with the haptics of the medium rather than through ~tense writing~

i always took away from it a kind of distaste for academic analysis - you drown in citations and references only if you choose to let yourself worry about the details and chasing them down, and find relief only by saying none of that poo poo matters and just squeezing through the tiny square of narrative

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

baw posted:

i dont wanna brag but

:thunk:

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

euphronius posted:

and yet u read this thread

touche

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

emfive posted:

wow the soundtrack on that loving rules

yea it was fuckin me up that the video wasnt in slomo

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

emfive posted:

Crying of Lot 49 is weird and funny

Vineland is readable but kind-of a let down

The ending though. Something about the dog thinking that he's still in America kind of haunts me these days

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I liked V by pynchon. It's a weird fever dream. I maintain that broom of thr system by wallace is a good book because it ends with a guy eating the universr iirc

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

mormonpartyboat posted:

i dug it for that exact reason, like it was anxiety pushed on the reader through loving with the haptics of the medium rather than through ~tense writing~

i always took away from it a kind of distaste for academic analysis - you drown in citations and references only if you choose to let yourself worry about the details and chasing them down, and find relief only by saying none of that poo poo matters and just squeezing through the tiny square of narrative

Oh I'm sure it's fine, I just didn't get into it

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Just heard a loud bang outside and now the power is out. Wtf.

grats on your transformer dying

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

its about respect okay *gestures italianishly and gives 1 star rating*

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just finished re-reading all 8 of the Expanse books in anticipation of the series finale in the spring. I like them a lot, though it's definitely about time to wrap it up.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/JanelleCShane/status/1195058987856584704

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

baw posted:

he's dead and gay, basically the perfect american

its a little irrational considering his whole body of work but I always think about that essay he wrote where he tries to knock down the extreme masculine image of theodore roosevelt by 1) calling him a “sissy” because he was sickly as a child and 2) relating a story in which tr was rude to one of vidal’s horrible old money ancestors. also that time he called roman polanksis accuser a whore. real classy guy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Good soup! posted:

not enough

the answer is always not enough

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
I love studying literary utopias because they are incredible windows into social criticism from eras long gone

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hatebag posted:

I liked V by pynchon. It's a weird fever dream. I maintain that broom of thr system by wallace is a good book because it ends with a guy eating the universr iirc

Yea V is OK, though I've read it more-or-less twice and I'm still not sure I get what the point is. It's fun to read though.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

emfive posted:

Oh I'm sure it's fine, I just didn't get into it

oh i get that im just talking about it because i thought thats what people do about things

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Good soup! posted:

They need more!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

https://twitter.com/Gothamist/status/1195022652416634882

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

its about respect okay *gestures italianishly and gives 1 star rating*

eyy let's get-a da cumshitta in here to poop-a da spermaceti

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
For instance technological utopias of the late 1800s like Bellamy's Looking Backward or the dystopian short story "The Machine Stops" by A.M. Forester are pretty cool

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

farting on every pillow in a trump hotel to give the guests pinkeye

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

A really good big old book that nobody (well, non-lit majors at least) reads nowadays is Middlemarch. It's one of those huge daunting books that you steel yourself to start, and then about 10 pages in you're feeling pangs of regret that it will at some point come to an end.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also, I chose this as my AIM handle after reading Brave New World in middle school, and it took me another 10 years to realize "unlimited, consequence-free sex and drugs" was supposed to be a bad thing in the book.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Huh I guess I was right, it IS hard to shoot yourself in the head with an ar-15
https://twitter.com/TomNamako/status/1195065497072615435?s=19

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
if book writers are so smart how come they didnt make tv shows?

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Kilmers Elbow posted:

imagine a library - in the palm of your hand

the books would be really tiny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy