Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

Compassionite Conservatism is when you're not afraid to say the n-word but have the wisdom not to use it.
It's when you let a couple live to warn the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

emfive posted:

My wife read Anna Karenina a year or two ago, it took her a while and her take-away was that it's about crazy rich idiots

I was supposed to read that over the summer for AP English, I ordered the book and when I got it saw it was like a 1,000 pages and said nope I’m out. Then me and a buddy rented the movie and I fell asleep halfway thru, got a 20 on the test, now 20 years later I post on something awful dot com

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FactsAreUseless posted:

A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again and Consider the Lobster are both good. Foster was at his best in essays, not fiction.

absolutely. these two are still phenomenal. I still remember the cruise ship, the gross boomer Illinois state faire, maine lobster fest, tv, host and mccain. his fiction all mostly sucked though a few ones like the bathroom attendant and good old neon

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

UFOTacoMan posted:

reading is for nerds...idiots

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i think the worst kind of fiction writer is the one who shovels in an awkward sex scene to prove to their readers that they have had sex at least once

im still not convinced steven king ever has

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 367 days!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Reading... is Cool

lmao yikes

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

The Nastier Nate posted:

I was supposed to read that over the summer for AP English, I ordered the book and when I got it saw it was like a 1,000 pages and said nope I’m out. Then me and a buddy rented the movie and I fell asleep halfway thru, got a 20 on the test, now 20 years later I post on something awful dot com

One time in highschool we had to read Tess of the d'Urbervilles and that book sucked so I read the cliff's notes instead and then I ended up getting the highest grade in the class on the test and the teacher complimented me in front of the class saying that everyone should have studied like I did and I was like hell yeah :coal:

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

snart

SNART

SNART

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Al! posted:

i think the worst kind of fiction writer is the one who shovels in an awkward sex scene to prove to their readers that they have had sex at least once

Conversely the best is when an author creates characters that he personally disagrees with to have them fail and die or go insane. Dostoyevsky had like 3 of these in every book and they all rule

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

UFOTacoMan posted:

reading is for nerds...idiots

Just noticed ET has bone spurs too

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Spun Dog posted:

Just noticed ET has bone spurs too

it was feet
:yooge:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Al! posted:

I still remember my first time reading a King novel and coming across a line saying something along the lines of "she walked as if she had something lodged in both her holes going as vigorously as you please" and even as a clueless 12 year old I raised an eyebrow at how weird that must've been to write

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Al! posted:

thats what my editor said when i was writing The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe . he said my sex scenes were written as if i had no idea what a woman was.

i was like, "what are you talking about? theyre demons and they represent torture int he afterlife."

they just decided to remove the demon torture scenes and change all the anal references to "Turkish Delight." people were still pretty pissed at those filthy ottomans at the time so they let it slide

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/Wendys/status/1195083932800339973

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Dave barry, the pizza hut book reward of personal pan pizza, the 90's!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The last book i read was Conan: Hour of the Dragon and it's got a good part where Conan get's enslaved by the Fantasy Mediterraneans but when they put him in the gally Conan notices a bunch of the Fantasy Black Guys are dudes he used to be pirates with and free's them. The Fantasy Mediterraneans are so mind-blown that Conan has black friends they can't react and Conan chops them all up and throw the parts overboard.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

cumshitter posted:

thats what my editor said when i was writing The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe . he said my sex scenes were written as if i had no idea what a woman was.

i was like, "what are you talking about? theyre demons and they represent torture int he afterlife."

they just decided to remove the demon torture scenes and change all the anal references to "Turkish Delight." people were still pretty pissed at those filthy ottomans at the time so they let it slide

CumShit Lewis is back :swoon:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Not a Children posted:

I still remember my first time reading a King novel and coming across a line saying something along the lines of "she walked as if she had something lodged in both her holes going as vigorously as you please" and even as a clueless 12 year old I raised an eyebrow at how weird that must've been to write

Also the preteen orgy in IT, that was weird as hell to read at 11

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Her breasts bounced ebuilliently as she ran down the stairs.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Al! posted:

steven king and deaner koontz sex scenes are extremely bad yeah

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gripweed posted:

I literally just finished Warlords of Karak Eight Peaks, which is as long as a david Foster Wallace book but has way more goblins and dwarfs

I googled this and now google thinks I want to hear about games workshop tie-ins, so thanks for that.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

rear end cobra posted:

He will live to finish LBJ and then write five volumes on your favorite wide ableist slurred president

I've read an LBJ by another guy who kind-of tried to refute some Caro points but I should probably read the Caro books right

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Grumpto

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

turmp

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Her boobs bounced like they were filled with helium and a little sand, which they probably were.

-Steven King

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Hatebag posted:

Her breasts bounced ebuilliently as she ran down the stairs.

She said, “your balls are awesome!!”

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Slow yraump day, huh?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/capybaratime/status/1193972892872118272

:ocelot:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

emfive posted:

I've read an LBJ by another guy who kind-of tried to refute some Caro points but I should probably read the Caro books right

Other Guy is just jealous and yes you should read them, they’re really good books about one amazing idiot hell fucker

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
"the doctor will see you now", the busty nurse said boobishly

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

A Handed Missus posted:

snart

SNART

SNART

no never not snarting

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1195085714683310083

The University of Pennsylvania’s athletic department has canceled the rest of the women’s volleyball team’s season after what it described as “vulgar, offensive and disrespectful” signs appeared in the locker room.

The signs were found earlier this week; the decision to end the season was announced Wednesday night. There were no immediate details on the signs’ content. The team had just two remaining games: at Yale Friday and at Brown Saturday.