Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Powershift posted:

Here's my platform for office, seat mounted tasers and your license plate is the code to fire it, but it takes 5 votes in 5 minutes. Voltage increases with every shot, you can only decrease it through driver training or community service.

please make my nobel peace prize out of chocolate

Can you imagine giving this much power to 4chan autists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Can you imagine giving this much power to 4chan autists

The system could ensure only passengers in nearby vehicles could contribute to the zap count to encourage carpooling.

sure, they could spoof it, but they can also convince Tesla's autopilot that you're a pothole with an improperly formatted e-mail right now so, :shrug:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

PT6A posted:

Honest, I'm trying to help! Learn to operate the systems of your car appropriately!

That was your mistake.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

xzzy posted:

It's insane that automatic headlights aren't standard equipment now.

They aren't? Even the cheapest cars that I've been in have all had automatic headlights as standard equipment.

In my experience, this happens because people want their headlights on during the day. They switch their headlights off of auto to force them on, then turn them off entirely when their cars beeps at them after they shut it off. Super bright DRLs convince a lot of people that their headlights are on when they really aren't too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've only owned one car with automatic headlights and it's a 2018 Subaru. :shrug:

Which is a feature we don't even use because Subaru is smart enough to shut off the headlights when you turn the car off so we leave them in the 'on' position full time.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

xzzy posted:

It's insane that automatic headlights aren't standard equipment now.

The DRLs are the loving problem. People see that they have dim-rear end headlights on and figure that means their job is done, ignorant of the fact that their tail lights aren't on.

Every car I've been in with automatic headlights (are they really not standard now?) lets them be switched to manual as well. So that won't fix it.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
I think automatically lighting up dashboards are also partly to blame. The dashboard shouldn't light up unless your headlights are on. Then, if you can't see your dashboard you should have your lights on anyway!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yes all to the above. Cripes we have rear cameras as needed as standard features but let's not think about automatic headlights.

What a world.

With that said, maybe they are mandated now? I have no clue.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Headlights and taillights should just be on when the car is turned on, just like motorcycles do. Daytime running lights are dumb, just force the headlights on!

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
My car shows the same indicator on the dash for DRLs or low-beams. So I've built up muscle memory to toggle the switch every time I start the car so that I know the physical position of the switch.

I could leave it on auto, but I very often like to turn them on at times the sensor would leave them off (low light, rain, just because. )

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
DRLs are useless now, so, let's do away with DRLs.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Ebola Dog posted:

I think automatically lighting up dashboards are also partly to blame. The dashboard shouldn't light up unless your headlights are on. Then, if you can't see your dashboard you should have your lights on anyway!

My BMW and my Peugeot work van both don’t illuminate anything inside unless the lights are on. The van doesn’t have automatic lights so it’s immediately obvious I haven’t got my lights on.

I think it should be a standard thing across all cars. No lights, no illuminated controls/dashboard.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
In many European countries it is obligatory to have lights on at all times, but DRL counts for that too so that doesn't really help.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Welp we can say a giant gently caress you to GM for this.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Day Man posted:

Headlights and taillights should just be on when the car is turned on, just like motorcycles do.

If you do that, then in urban areas your raise the risk of car/motorcycle collisions. When motorcycles are the only ones with headlights on, they stand out. When the entire fleet does it, they no longer stand out and you're back to people not seeing motorcycles.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/811505.pdf

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My car nominally has automatic lights, but something in that circuit fried and lol if you think Ford is interested in providing that part for anything resembling reasonable money. I tried!

E: to be clear, I turn on my drat headlights, but this is technology that exists and companies just don't give a poo poo about putting it in vehicles.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Javid posted:

but this is technology that exists and companies just don't give a poo poo about putting it in vehicles.

Weird that so many cars have it, then.

You still have to turn it on.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I don't think there is a problem with DRLs, as long as there is an automatic that turns on the low beams when it gets darker. And if the rear lights also turn on with DRLs. I think there are some car models that come with a custom software when imported to Finland or other Nordic countries, that turns on the rear lights with DRLs. But this has required that the car magazines make noise about it for the import companies to try to negotiate it with the manufacturer.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

PT6A posted:

loving idiots need to turn their goddamn loving lights on around here. How hard can that possibly be?

I flashed one person in front of me just around dusk, they turned their lights on for a second, and then back off. What the gently caress? Do they think their lights are high beams and their DRLs are normal lights? What signal were they attempting to send me?

I use headlights off-on-off-on to tell somebody to turn their lights on. High beam flash is the signal for 'dim yours, butthead' or 'hazard ahead'

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Saukkis posted:

I don't think there is a problem with DRLs, as long as there is an automatic that turns on the low beams when it gets darker. And if the rear lights also turn on with DRLs. I think there are some car models that come with a custom software when imported to Finland or other Nordic countries, that turns on the rear lights with DRLs. But this has required that the car magazines make noise about it for the import companies to try to negotiate it with the manufacturer.

When SOME but not ALL cars are equipped with DRLs, they are out of the ordinary and make people may more attention, reducing the risk of collision by between 5% and 10% depending on which study you trust. When MOST or ALL cars have DRLs, they reduce risk of collision by a negligible amount. But they're more cost to produce, more things that can break, and also fool inattentive people into thinking they have their low beams on. Kill DRLs.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dee eight posted:

I use headlights off-on-off-on to tell somebody to turn their lights on. High beam flash is the signal for 'dim yours, butthead' or 'hazard ahead'

I no exaggeration daily lay on the horn while passing people on the highway with all their lights off while I do off-on-off-on, to no result. MAYBE 5% of the time it works.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

The Prong Song posted:

When SOME but not ALL cars are equipped with DRLs, they are out of the ordinary and make people may more attention, reducing the risk of collision by between 5% and 10% depending on which study you trust. When MOST or ALL cars have DRLs, they reduce risk of collision by a negligible amount. But they're more cost to produce, more things that can break, and also fool inattentive people into thinking they have their low beams on. Kill DRLs.

here here.

They also train you to focus on the lights, and then you miss things, like people or pets.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Phanatic posted:

The DRLs are the loving problem. People see that they have dim-rear end headlights on and figure that means their job is done, ignorant of the fact that their tail lights aren't on.

Ebola Dog posted:

This combination is the primary problem for sure. If you're not paying enough attention it can be easy to miss that the little green light isn't also on. I'd imagine a lot of people don't even know what that is, since for the longest time the indicator that the headlights were on was the dash being illuminated.

Phanatic posted:

Every car I've been in with automatic headlights (are they really not standard now?) lets them be switched to manual as well. So that won't fix it.
This is probably a secondary factor. For whatever reason whenever I've taken my Fiesta in to the dealer they set the headlights to hard off rather than just leaving them on auto. I've gotten it back from a valet the same way, and of course unless I think to check I don't notice until the next time it starts getting late and I notice my headlights haven't come on.

IMO if the instrument cluster is always lit then automatic headlights should not be able to be defeated permanently. The "turn headlights off manually" function should be a button that operates until the vehicle is turned off, then resets to automatic mode.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Welp we can say a giant gently caress you to GM for this.
Personally I see it mostly with Japanese vehicles (Toyotas and Nissans in particular). Anyways, if we're giving lighting-related gently caress yous to GM then their bullshit with turning the reverse lights on as floodlights needs to be much further ahead.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phanatic posted:

Weird that so many cars have it, then.

You still have to turn it on.

My 1992 Toyota Camry base model had lights that shut off when you turned off the car (and I think opened the door?). I just left them on 24/7.
My 2005 Subaru does the same (and in fact, I'm 50% sure it has the same turn signal stock).
Meanwhile my 2002 VW and 2013 Mazda and like half the rental cars I rent (I rent >25 cars per year) won't do this and don't have auto lights either. Auto lights aren't even needed, you just need the poo poo from my 1992 Camry. No weird sensor that can fail.
TBF neither my Mazda, VW, nor Toyota had loving lights on all the time. Subaru, take a seat over there.
Now like every loving car has is. I don't love it, I feel like it increases eyestrain during the day.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Mine uses a slider that sets how long the lights are left on after shutting the car off. I simply move the slider to the closest position to "OFF" and leave it there. The lights turn off nearly instantly upon shut-off.

There's also a light on the dash that literally says "LIGHTS ON" whenever the lights are on, auto or not, because Cadillacs are for olds and idiots, apparently.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
My '17 Volt is always in Auto mode. There is an OFF and ON position to override AUTO, but the headlight switch is a soft switch. When you turn the car off/on it goes back to AUTO mode.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My '17 Escape and pretty much every newish Ford I've driven has had a dial with on, off, and automatic settings. The automatic sensor is quite good so I never take it off of that except for the one time I was driving home in huge thick fog and I couldn't turn the fog lights on without turning the lights explicitly on.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 15, 2019

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
My 1st gen Yaris has nothing, no DRL and no automatic lights, and they do not turn off when you turn the car off, so I've had to develop the habit to always turn the lights on whenever I start the car as it is common here to just have the lights on always, which is also what they taught me in driving lessons. Now I get confused whenever I use a car with automatic lights and try to switch them to force-on out of habit.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Sorry to break up headlight chat, but

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I hope there is no legal requirement for that train driver to ever have to touch his brakes in that situation.

The train company should have an "if you get squished, you get squished" policy as well.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Protocol7 posted:

My '17 Escape and pretty much every newish Ford I've driven has had a dial with on, off, and automatic settings. The automatic sensor is quite good so I never take it off of that except for the one time I was driving home in huge thick fog and I couldn't turn the fog lights on without turning the lights explicitly on.

That's weird, must be a change in the facelift years. My 2015 lets me keep the fogs set to the same as whatever the lights are at, on or auto.

that said, the auto is very accurate and i never have to mess with it other than a few random times where I'm road tripping across very hilly terrain at dusk and its sensitive enough to keep going on and off every time I crest a hill into the setting sun then back out of it again.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Dagen H posted:

NVM: gif didn't work on my first viewing. Ignore this post.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 15, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Entropist posted:

My 1st gen Yaris has nothing, no DRL and no automatic lights, and they do not turn off when you turn the car off, so I've had to develop the habit to always turn the lights on whenever I start the car as it is common here to just have the lights on always, which is also what they taught me in driving lessons. Now I get confused whenever I use a car with automatic lights and try to switch them to force-on out of habit.

This is what I always do, and my car does have automatic headlights. If your vehicle requires its lights on, turn the switch to the "ON" position, and then the switch will indicate that the lights are on. Part of being a good driver is developing good habits that will keep you safe even when you don't specifically need them, just like using the turn signal whether there's traffic around or not.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PT6A posted:

Part of being a good driver is developing good habits that will keep you safe even when you don't specifically need them, just like using the turn signal whether there's traffic around or not.

My wife gives me poo poo for this and I explicitly tell her it's part of building good driving habits.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Fog lights are stupid and useless, and should never be turned on at the same time as dipped beam headlights.

Fight me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

Fog lights are stupid and useless, and should never be turned on at the same time as dipped beam headlights.

Fight me.

You and Subaru won't get along very well then.

(models with eyesight will light the fog light positioned nearest the inside of the bend whenever you turn, allegedly it helps the lane assist see through the curve)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MrOnBicycle posted:

Fight me.

I won't fight you, they hardly did poo poo for me on that foggy night. I turned em off pretty quick and just left my normal lights on. I was the only person on the road basically the whole drive so I just took it a bit slower.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MrOnBicycle posted:

Fight me.

The jelly-bean Ford trucks stopped you from using both at the same time by having a cammed surface on the rotary light knob.

I think part of the problem with trucks and fog lights is that if you change height at all they don't work correctly. 3rd-gen Ram is what I have now, replaced both fog-lamps (non-adjustable) and then raised the rear by two inches, they don't work for poo poo.

Saw a real bunch of winners in Tampa, on 275 NB during the busiest traffic time, the other day. Towncar super-stretch pulled by an older F-250 with one very long tow-strap. We are talking two car lengths between them. They pulled off real quick when they saw all the police attending to a car fire on SB 275. Wonder what driving such a long vehicle at speed is like with no power steering?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Somehow the people here have it in their head that permanently running your fog lights makes you at least 50% cooler. I see it constantly and it's really annoying.

I do get some use out of my fog lights on narrow roads with tight curves, as they shine outward and I can't see what's in the curve otherwise.
I can't use them without the normal headlights though, as if I turn those off the tail lights will be off too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dagen H posted:

That's the mentality of 99% of drivers, ever.