Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

megane posted:

Yeah, a lot of costs are just some flat percentage of your yearly income, so if you're rich you'll get situations where you pass a beggar and are given the choice between becoming Cruel or giving them "a few coppers" to the tune of hundreds of gold.
That's what I figured was happening, but it's funnier to imagine the cost was so high because her funeral rager broke a bunch of stuff in her castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

wedgekree posted:

Would you want to risk it if you did NOT give your cat a massive funeral?

you will notice that at no point did i say she should not have thrown a huge expensive party in honor of her dead cat

mittens was very good and deserved every cent

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

SpruceZeus posted:

you will notice that at no point did i say she should not have thrown a huge expensive party in honor of her dead cat

mittens was very good and deserved every cent

I imagine a big chunk of that went into building a gigantic fuckoff statue like this, except replace the Pegasus with Mittens and keep the Dragon because our Tsenmo doesn't like loving dragons who steal kingdoms.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Kangxi posted:

If it wasn't for her picking up the Brawny trait by smashing rocks, she'd have 0.5 health. I'm amazed she's still alive.

She is already in a lodge. She will have to figure out how to punch inflation though

Oh dear. Maybe she can take it easy for a bit and maybe find another cat or a dog someplace.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Kangxi posted:

She will have to figure out how to punch inflation though

hmmmmmm

inflation... is prices

prices..... are set by..... merchants?

so, transitively........ :thunk:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Inflation is usually caused by too much money chasing too few goods. So clearly, punch the money out of the money supply.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Akratic Method posted:

hmmmmmm

inflation... is prices

prices..... are set by..... merchants?

so, transitively........ :thunk:

this is a better understanding of inflation and prices than most econ departments

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Chapter 44: 1275 to 1288 - Tsenmo Purgyal Fuyuan

As told by the empress

The doctors had told me I needed to get out more. I was happy to.

They want to try something new to get rid of this thing, I'll do it.

I'm still alive. I'm still here. Lost a leg and lots of other bits but I'm still here.

The branch of the family over in Persia sends over some interesting books. The two-horned conqueror who came from the west. Interesting guy!

I have to find some reason to get up. Enough of this, I cannot sit still.

Took loving long enough.

Now I've got to get rid of this 'Deccan Empire'.

How the gently caress did they break away in the first place? My advance guard is bigger than most of their armies.

Sacrifices. Like the old days.

Don't ever be slow. Don't ever hesitate. All they need is for you to slip once.

Oh dammit. Who does this rear end in a top hat think he is? What the gently caress does he think he's doing?

I want to go home to my kids and hope they will never ever turn out like him.

The armies took Tanjavur. That was an old capital, long ago. Still not in bad shape.

We went northwest, to Mahodayapuram.

The legends about my life grow. I can't even keep track of them all. The skull thing is probably true.

The sword stories are all true.

gently caress me, I cannot even keep track of all the places we've taken now. Udagamandalam?

After we cleaned out that city, I got the news that that rear end in a top hat was dead. See, if you didn't try and kill me and take my throne, you wouldn't be pushed off a cliff and a goat wouldn't be eating your lips right now. Very simple.

Anyway, we found the bulk of the main army and the fake emperor was there.

It was even losses, which was good for us. We can call up more troops, they can't.

Then his kingdom started to fall apart where it stood,

So really that was it. We didn't take them over completely but they'd pay us a lot of tribute. Gold and silver.

That was it? Time to go home?

I got to see that temple my grandmother wanted to build. It's not done yet but people can worship in it now.

It'll be good to see the kids again. I'm proud of them.

And I got a dog. His name is Bootsy. He is very good.

My daughter's grown up since she became a warrior. Though she's picked up a few new habits.

When we're sitting down to eat, she'll put her feet up and say something like "Pass the loving salt," and all the nobles who weren't in the army gasp and go 'oh my'. I think it's funny.

She follows the family tradition. She's in the guard.

I sign a few laws to keep these Buddhists from getting too far. We won't need them now but we might.

I had joined a group of warriors a while back and I enjoy it.

Nothing like a good fight to bring back the old days.

And they're good sports about it.

Bears. Sure. I'll go hunt bears.

They say that I am the greatest ruler of Tibet in centuries. Maybe so.

My son just keeps getting stronger too. I am so proud of him.

The rest of the world is chaos. We have a little more.

I feel I am at the peak of my life so far. Every day I still have- I fought for it. I have to remember that.

It feels good to be out again, even if it is hunting for bears.

One evening, when I was with some old fellow fighters, one of them had suggested, after a few drinks, that we go raid the Western Protectorate, and then the Third Han. It would be like the tales of Gyalyum the Benevolent.

Why not. Why not.

I don't think those stories about her were fake. I can believe that she stabbed a bear to death when she had seventy years of life in her, or that she had slain an entire fortress of enemy soldiers herself or that she fought a man with a thousand faces. I have an example to follow.

The second Tibetan empress to raid the east and live...? I could do that.

The Sacred Hierarch would do this. Fucks sake. I guess I'll have to get the boats ready after I come back.

Legends are one thing, but it doesn't help to create a few yourself. I've finally had a skull cap made.

I will not go alone.

Just march over the border, across the gates, into the nearest town we see. The man in charge tries to stop us.

I thank the gods for the benevolence, and then I slam a mallet into that poor bastard's head.

How am I already out of breath? That usually took a few minutes.

We find more of them and they're almost as surprised as we are. Scouts must have missed them.

I poked a few people.

We go further and we see a guy wrestling a bear. This guy! This guy. Finally. I don't think we're getting closer to the capital of the Western Protectorate but I'm still enjoying myself. I will go out and fight him myself.

That was -- that was a foolish decision. He hurt me. I got a cut in the shoulder and in my side. I went alone and I didn't have any guards. We were just flailing about and I could barely hold my sword at the end. Tired. Nobody else to see it, but they'll believe me when they see the man dead and the bear too...

gently caress em. I'll keep going. They tell me there's a great master of fighting and I'll get to him next.

An old man? They've got to be joking. I'll ambush him.

Wait a minute, where-

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 15, 2019

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Oh... Okay. :rip:

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

:smith:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
That was clearly an assassin and now China must pay

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Being one-legged gives a pretty large personal combat penalty, so not an unexpected result.

Still, pour one out for Fuyuan

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

She died as she lived, furiously punching something.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Well, at least now there's no longer an urge to get up and continue fighting...

right?

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
Sooo, this is where we invade China, right?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I had a lady clear this while missing a leg, hand, and eye on top of being fat and ancient during my Tibet run.

Man ck2 rules it's so stupid

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Chapter 46: 1288 to 1290 - Tsenmo Purgyal Choden

Transcript of a lecture delivered by Dr. Dimitris Bagdzevičius, a professor of military history at the Queen Dobrava Military Academy in Orsha. This is the twelfth in his series on central Asian history.

All right. You've made it this far. Your midterms are back, and you're all that's left after everybody else dropped out. You're in for the long haul. Now you're getting to a meaty part of the historical record.

So. We're starting after the failed expedition of the Empress Fuyuan. She took a small comitatus of troops into the northern Han, she gets a few cities in. She dies more or less instantly, much of her personal retinue is gone. The new empress takes over Tibet, Fuyuan's daughter. Her name is Choden. What does she do right after?

[A student answers: Invade China.]

Wrong! She invades the Arabian peninsula! Because the Sacred Hierarchy told her to!

So. Empress Choden. Our archival sources are split on her, her personality, her ambitions. Some of the letters from the upper nobility complain about her etiquette and boorish behavior. She swears at dinner, she makes fun of people at official functions. The military chroniclers love her, the Chinese build her up as this great and formidable person, the Mongolians are cautious but apprehensive. But it's too early to get into that.

She readies the army right after her mother is buried.

By this point, she's got the news that the expedition is turning from a costly venture into a rout.

They heap praise on the one woman has returned, for saying that she made it through an 'arduous journey', that she suffered through outrageous trials, that she's a model of imperial heroism.

She's got one eye, one leg, can barely walk, big gaping wounds all over her, she kept talking about how the saw the faces of dead empresses and then she drops right out of the record. Never mentioned again.

The split between Tibet and the Mongolians only gets worse at this time. The head of the sacred hierarchy cuts off the Mongol khan from attending rituals and conducting sacrifices. So we have an increasingly isolated Tibet that is wary of the Mongols and openly hostile to China.

What do they do? Send the army west!

They assemble a grand fleet - grab every fishing boat and merchant ship across the southern coast, mash them together into a fleet, and sail 20,000 troops around India...

Into the Persian gulf.

It is a miracle of logistics for the time. We have so many records of shipping and supplies stored. People have made their careers off of this stuff.

The armies of the Jerusalem Raj are mauling the first advance guard of the Tibetan forces.

What does the empress do? After a short prayer-

She sends her army up past the Gulf of Aden and into the Red Sea.

And they land at the port city of Jeddah.

She's one of the first off the boat. It's an uncontested landing. Why would there be? They don't have semaphores, they didn't have a messenger system that would travel as fast as the ships have.

Their armies approach the holy cities of Mecca. They don't enter it, they just approach them going for the towns along the way from Jeddah.

The despot of Arabia and his regent would have just poo poo a brick.

[Gasps from the class.]

Excuse me. I get a bit excited about this and the coming years after all. I mean that's why I have this job!

By this point, they have to pull back their armies from the east, and their cities along the western coast of the Persian Gulf just collapse. The Tibetans - about 30,000-40,000 - know better than to try and cross the center of the peninsula.

By the start of 1289, the city of Ta'if falls.

Before the holy cities are touched, the Raj of Jerusalem surrenders. He gives up the whole thing.

The whole thing is given to a relative of the royal family.

And Tibet - Tibet - grows to its largest size ever reached.

Now what do you think happens next?

Then she asks them to invade China.

She gave a speech but that was not written down. All lost. We can assume it had something to do with her slain mother, a need for justice,

Or perhaps the glory of Tibet ruling over anything beyond Gyalyum's wildest dreams. Everything from Arabia to the Yellow Sea. Think about it.

What do you think the nobles said?

Yes, invade China.

No, do not invade China.

(Voting closes on 9 PM EST, Sunday, November 17th.)

Kangxi fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 17, 2019

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

We shall cast down the Dragon and use his skin as a carpet

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yes! The gods are with us! The dead demand vengeance!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Let's show China that we're the real center of the world.

Invade China

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yes

Do the thing

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists
Invade China. What's the worst that could happen? :allears:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
One more throne to bow down to Lhasa.

Invade.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
heck yes

Either we win, which will be fun for the LP or we will be be broken up, which will make EUIV more interesting. It's win-win!

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Going to be contrarian and Vote No *for the moment* for a couple of reasons:

we only just conquered Arabia, it’ll be a decade before we benefit from those levies.

Most importantly, China’s in a Golden Age currently. That means Tibet would be facing down up to 175,000 attritionless, high quality event troops led by the most brilliant strategists China has to offer. Fighting them while they’re merely stable would maybe be a more even and interesting fight (especially once we’ve digested Arabia/possibly re-integrated the Deccan Empire.) As is, I’m fairly sure voting yes here is voting for the total dissolution of the Tibetan Empire.

Fair enough if you want that at this juncture, but I’d rather we get to that in 50 years or so :v

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 16, 2019

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

(Losing a war started with the invade China CB destroys all held Empire and Kingdom titles in addition to the massive prestige,’monetary/diplomatic costs).

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Yes! Soon we shall be the Undefeated of the East, West, North, South, and Center!

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Yes

(Whether it is strategically appropriate, it certainly is narratively appropriate.)

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

YES

ride or die tibet

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

YES

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Probably going to be outvoted but No.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

As much as I want to holler DOUBLE OR NOTHING INVADE CHINA LET'S GO, I think I'll advocate playing it safe and vote No.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
No

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

No. This war-lust is a trap by the Preta Tse. We must wait for the eastern foe to show their weakness before we strike, and this war-lust is a sign that Tibet's most implacable foe yet haunts our nightmares!

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Voting no to suicide by China.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

no

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
You all know how this ends from the way the professor introduced this! We know that obviously, yes, she invaded.

If she won, the Chinese love her for setting up a new dynasty and establishing a new pan-Asian sphere and era of prosperity -- or at least paying the surviving scribes to say as much. If she loses, she's responsible for breaking the Spectre of an ascendent Tibet.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Mirdini posted:

Going to be contrarian and Vote No *for the moment* for a couple of reasons:

we only just conquered Arabia, it’ll be a decade before we benefit from those levies.

Most importantly, China’s in a Golden Age currently. That means Tibet would be facing down up to 175,000 attritionless, high quality event troops led by the most brilliant strategists China has to offer. Fighting them while they’re merely stable would maybe be a more even and interesting fight (especially once we’ve digested Arabia/possibly re-integrated the Deccan Empire.) As is, I’m fairly sure voting yes here is voting for the total dissolution of the Tibetan Empire.

Fair enough if you want that at this juncture, but I’d rather we get to that in 50 years or so :v

I agree, we have absolutely no chance of winning right now but I wouldn't mind seeing us invade them later. Voting no because picking a fight with China right now is suicide.

Also, don't you lose all your levies if you declare war on China? So we'd have basically nobody to fight those 175,000 Chinese supersoldiers.

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanzh
Mar 6, 2013
No, even though it's obvious how this vote is going to go.