Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Unless it completely falls apart later, it's looking like probably the best Star Wars game yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

so reviews are not up for 5 hours? game comes out at midnight so I have time to "pre-order"

anyone have a 2700x and a 1060 6gb and play this early? thanks in advance

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Does the game have any dynamic dismemberment at all or only at scripted times? IMO a game with lightsabers should let one carve chunks from the environment to hurl at ones enemies. Cut a pillar to act as a bridge, etc. Reckless deforestation.

I guess what I'm asking is, does the game have any of the above or would I be very disappointed if I preordered it? How long does the actual prologue take to get through before you start the actual open world?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
A lot of the combat in this game makes it obvious why Kyle Katarn carried a bunch of guns as well as his lightsaber.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Ambaire posted:

Does the game have any dynamic dismemberment at all or only at scripted times? IMO a game with lightsabers should let one carve chunks from the environment to hurl at ones enemies. Cut a pillar to act as a bridge, etc. Reckless deforestation.

I guess what I'm asking is, does the game have any of the above or would I be very disappointed if I preordered it? How long does the actual prologue take to get through before you start the actual open world?

The game has dismemberment of non-human (i.e. animals and droids) enemies. Human enemies get big scorch marks but are not chopped up.

There does not appear to be the ability to Red Faction your way through the buildings and environment toward your goal.

Thom12255 posted:

A lot of the combat in this game makes it obvious why Kyle Katarn carried a bunch of guns as well as his lightsaber.

Kyle Katarn still the king.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Played on PC up until the first boss.

Game runs perfectly on a GTX 1080 on max settings, was getting consistent 80-90 FPS except for moments during environment transitions.

Gameplay wise.. it's fairly cinematic, the story and scenes feel like snippets from a better Star Wars movie than any of the modern ones and I enjoy the characters. It really is Uncharted + Dark Souls, but "lite" versions of both. I'm a little disappointed in the combat and animations, sadly. It is decent, but not even close to Dark Souls. Controls aren't as snappy/skillful as I would like or expect from the Titanfall guys. Overall (and this is super early impressions), it seems like more of an adventure/platformer game with some nods towards an action RPG. IMO it is best enjoyed as an adventure with action, rather than a game you play for the mechanics and techniques.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The game has dismemberment of non-human (i.e. animals and droids) enemies. Human enemies get big scorch marks but are not chopped up.

Just to expand a little, it seems like anything that is able to be sliced up always slices once the same way. So all the little bugs that I hit from a variety of angles all get chopped lengthwise down the center. All the environmental things that get sliced are obvious (tall grass, pipes blocking your way etc.) and they too are sliced in the same places each once.

Tenacious J fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 14, 2019

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
2nd Sister hot af

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Tenacious J posted:

Played on PC up until the first boss.

Game runs perfectly on a GTX 1080 on max settings, was getting consistent 80-90 FPS except for moments during environment transitions.

Gameplay wise.. it's fairly cinematic, the story and scenes feel like snippets from a better Star Wars movie than any of the modern ones and I enjoy the characters. It really is Uncharted + Dark Souls, but "lite" versions of both. I'm a little disappointed in the combat and animations, sadly. It is decent, but not even close to Dark Souls. Controls aren't as snappy/skillful as I would like or expect from the Titanfall guys. Overall (and this is super early impressions), it seems like more of an adventure/platformer game with some nods towards an action RPG. IMO it is best enjoyed as an adventure with action, rather than a game you play for the mechanics and techniques.

Combat gets more interesting once you have a bunch of force powers to play around with but I doubt this game will be remembered for its combat system.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Lol, I thought this unlocked at 8:00 AM in my timezone, but apparently it's 8:00 PM. Who the gently caress releases a game in the evening?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Ambaire posted:

There's some lock-on that occurs when you swing at certain enemies that can be dismembered and as far as I can tell it always cuts the same spot when it does it. Otherwise it's just the standard swing at a wall and it leaves a molten trail lightsaber stuff.

The prologue is pretty short and it's mostly just platforming/cutscenes.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Hm. Two other questions: (1) can you loot/use grenades/weapons from fallen Stormtroopers, or are you limited to 'Jedi' weapons (sabers) and your powers? and (2) if/when you die, can you reload immediately or does it force a 'lol you dead' Batman Arkham esq taunting cinematic in your face?

edit: also, can you save anywhere or only at predefined checkpoints/etc or at a bonfire-equivalent?

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 14, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is it as good as The Mandalorian, cause that show is pretty dang good so far

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

precision posted:

That is a television show. This is a video game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chomp8645 posted:

That is a television show. This is a video game.

I wondered why my button presses weren't registering!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

precision posted:

I wondered why my button presses weren't registering!

See I just figured the quicktime events were really easy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Welp my 40 minutes is up, guess I'll play some more next week!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Ambaire posted:

Hm. Two other questions: (1) can you loot/use grenades/weapons from fallen Stormtroopers, or are you limited to 'Jedi' weapons (sabers) and your powers? and (2) if/when you die, can you reload immediately or does it force a 'lol you dead' Batman Arkham esq taunting cinematic in your face?

edit: also, can you save anywhere or only at predefined checkpoints/etc or at a bonfire-equivalent?

Your lightsaber and force abilities are your only weapons. You 'save' progress at bonfires but if you die it remembers the stuff you've already done and basically is just respawning enemies.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

precision posted:

The loving IG-88 action sequence was so good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I said come in! posted:

The loving IG-88 action sequence was so good.

I was like "yeah this is okay" until that scene and then I was like "loving sold". It really nails the more humorous tone of the OT while also having unexpected... grimyness?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ahem, excuse me but it was IG-11 not IG-88.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Rascyc posted:

hm have they even in the case of apex legends though? EA seems pretty up in that wheel house it seems

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1189287614639202306

For reference, just after Apex released, Respawn bigwigs did a interview with one publication or another, and said that they were the ones who approached EA about wanting to do a BR just after being bought by EA and that EA was sceptical but let them charge off with it.

Take that as you will.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Here's my ultra lazy review: Unlocked with vpn and put 3 hours in. This is basically Star Wars + Sekiro + Uncharted + Metroid. So a really loving nice combo. Graphics are pretty and story is pretty cool. Def recommend if you're on the fence, feels like a solid 85/100 maybe higher.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's a really polished, solidly made game so far. Knows what it wants to do and executes on that really well without really breaking a whole lot of new ground. The bonfire/checkpoint system works identically to Souls, but there seem to be a lot more of them, at least on the first planet. I'm playing on the second hardest difficulty and you definitely need to dodge, parry, and block, or even the small mooks will make short work of you. You can't just go in waving your saber around because you take a fair amount of damage.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 14, 2019

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I don't know if I'd be into this game if it wasn't Star Wars but I'm not into Uncharted or Souls or Tomb Raider so that makes sense. It's fun enough.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

dudeness posted:

Lol, I thought this unlocked at 8:00 AM in my timezone, but apparently it's 8:00 PM. Who the gently caress releases a game in the evening?

It unlocks at midnight EST. That is not uncommon.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Someone tell me about the customization in the game.
I saw a dual saber, too.. can you go dual wield? Change outfits? What color sabers are available? Any other weapons? Do you unlock more Force powers? Any cool poo poo there...? Any dark side powers?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hmm, so it sounds like this game is.. good? I remember that E3 gameplay demo they showed of it looked pretty mediocre and did not leave me wanting more. Paying for a month of access premier seems like a good route to take with this, $15 to play the game all I want for a month and I can play that new, bad, NFS game too? :hmmyes:

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

After playing more, I’m feeling like this leans much more to the uncharted style of gameplay, but honestly that’s a great thing. Combat is not the forefront, but that’s ok. So far the environments are exciting and the story is well done. Not many games are as varied and fun as uncharted, and with a million souls copies on the market; this is a great game.

sleepness fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 15, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The graphics are the same and it still controls really badly with clipping on PS4 full install. Load times are hell.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Oggdo Bogdo being able to turn in place while slowed to always launch it's unblockable leap at you is absolute bullshit.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
Can anyone playing on PC with a Dualshock confirm if the button prompts are correct?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lol the pop in during every Cutscene is just disgusting

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JBP posted:

Load times are hell.

*In a Darth Vader voice*

NoooOOOOoooooo

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

JBP posted:

Lol the pop in during every Cutscene is just disgusting

You may wanna investigate getting your console serviced, since you seem to be the only one having this degree of trouble

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

jivjov posted:

You may wanna investigate getting your console serviced, since you seem to be the only one having this degree of trouble

It's the way it renders the cutscenes, my system is clean and has no issues with other games. I'm doing the first side boss and the load times are excruciating for this kind of game haha

Aha when they have your "souls" you can't see them glow red for an unblockable

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Get that PS4 an oil change.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I beat the side boss. That was fine I suppose but not really a strong start to the combat. Side to side thriller walk on the ship is still the best gameplay so far.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Game is gorgeous on max settings PC at least!

It plays well, and I personally enjoy the faster combat to Dark Souls, but it's also giving me a hankerin' to try Sekiro now since the enemies aren't quite as diverse or interesting as in Dark Souls.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

It unlocks at midnight EST. That is not uncommon.

I know I know, I'm just complaining. It's my fault for not reading the release date more clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

While I'm not regretting playing on hard it is extremely loving dumb that so many of the meditation points are directly before platforming sections instead of after them.