Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
SFP basically failed because it ran into a real-life situation where most of its audience stopped believing in the principle of "you can't solve social problems by punching certain very specific people."

Once that happened, it basically ate itself because the author wasn't willing to come out and answer the question of "should Allison kill Donald Trump" with either a yes or no, and avoiding the question just seems weak and inconclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

God, I'm looking back at the last few pages of that storyline now and it's even more stupid then I remember. Alison's solution to Patrick's mental health issues is to offer herself up as a cuddle buddy and literally punch his nightmares on a regular basis, when she already has a billion commitments and an actual, real-life boyfriend (maybe? We still don't know if Clevin had just peaced out for the night or ran away forever) that would make that totally unrealistic to actually devote time to

But no, she has infinite time and is totally fine with devoting her life to this, for some reason

Not to be confused with Alison's solution to Salami Dave's tournament issues which is to literally punch the universe on a regular basis.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

fritz posted:

Not to be confused with Alison's solution to Salami Dave's tournament issues which is to literally punch the universe on a regular basis.

I think the main difference is that K6BD is extremely aware of the fact that its definition of wisdom teeters precariously between enlightenment and dumbassery.

If you felt like it you could probably do a long essay comparing SFP's Alison to the demiurges, although I don't.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 15, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I think the biggest difference is that KSBD knows what the gently caress it is saying.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I think the biggest difference is that KSBD knows what the gently caress it is saying.

I mean, same thing?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Also through all of K6BD's reflection on the nature of power, will and want, it never makes any comment on good. It makes a big deal about attaining Royalty but doesn't ever say that trying to attain Royalty is a good thing. It's cynical like that. And it works a lot better because it totally runs with that cynicism - it manages to be very philosophical without trying to patronise the reader with ethics lectures.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Also through all of K6BD's reflection on the nature of power, will and want, it never makes any comment on good. It makes a big deal about attaining Royalty but doesn't ever say that trying to attain Royalty is a good thing. It's cynical like that. And it works a lot better because it totally runs with that cynicism - it manages to be very philosophical without trying to patronise the reader with ethics lectures.

I mean, I feel like K6BD has opinions on Good; it just hasn't rushed itself into explaining things before it can demonstrate them.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

SFP really starts winning you over at first towards the beginning because it really feels like it wants to say something important, but then when the time comes, it doesn't actually have anything important to say. Which kinda feels like the zeitgeist of the time when it was started, the heart of the Obama era where the public at large was largely (maybe willfully) unaware of so many things wrong with the world around them.

Or maybe that was just me in my youthful innocence not being aware yet. I sure got aware of important problems eventually, while SFP never seemed to.

K6BD has been on my "get around to eventually" list for a long while, I just never have. It happens a lot for webcomics. I've got 3 webcomics that I lapsed on reading that I should probably get back to eventually. I really do wanna see what happened in Bittersweet Candy Bowl and Badnix, but it's probably for the best that I've finally drifted away from El Goonish Shive.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
SFP could have been something great, if it had been written by someone who realized what made the comic interesting was precisely how superheroes would actually impact the world instead of wanking over loving Patrick and the Conspiracy and not having its main character grapple with their abuse of others or put that into context. I'd love to see the idea re-done by someone competent.

As for the AVClub list, it included both webcomics and print comics (Hawkeye was on the list, I think the only DC or Marvel comic to make it), so I'm guessing the folks making the list just hadn't read KSBD. It deserves to be read, though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
SFP basically is just Baby's First Miracleman only the main character believes they're they good guy.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Clevin

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This didn't stop from being not the thread for talking about clevins.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Where can I get my clevin fix then. Cmon friend.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Nowhere until the comic updates, which I suspect it never will again; I suggest you find and befriend Mulligan in real life so you can get pure Clevin straight from the source.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
there were some really good posts about the inadequacies of SFP earlier in this thread. I think the most cogent one was that sfp was horrifically ignorant on the potential of collective action. there was also the added lols of using the myth of John Henry in a "hooray for capitalism!!" manner

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A big flaming stink posted:

there were some really good posts about the inadequacies of SFP earlier in this thread. I think the most cogent one was that sfp was horrifically ignorant on the potential of collective action. there was also the added lols of using the myth of John Henry in a "hooray for capitalism!!" manner

Also how the grand scheme of Allison's was, essentially, a supers Uber but very limited in scope because they had like four powered people working for them and I don't think all of those had transport powers.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
suber

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Got to page 420 of 'Blood is Mine'

You feel Michelle Die

gently caress

Edit: 423. Everyone is alive. Prophet is dead.

I'll take that trade!

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 15, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Go read Mary Knox Osterag's solo stuff. It's SFP's art style with the added benefit of not being written by a dogshit writer.

Meanwhile on Monster Pulse, the team gets its (hopefully) final monster kid just in time for the final battle with whatever the gently caress Lulenski turned into by banging Roger's ghost on the boat... and possibly hepatitis.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

k6bd is about how power corrupts.

but what if you're too dumb to be corrupted.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm trying to remember the name of a webcomic. It was either a Something*Positive spinoff or copied the style, and it was by a woman and autobiographical in some way. It was a big deal in the early-mid 2000s. What was it?

e: I remembered immediately after posting: Queen of Wands

e2: Apparently the spinoff went the other way, a QoW character joined the S*P cast

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

nine-gear crow posted:

Meanwhile on Monster Pulse, the team gets its (hopefully) final monster kid just in time for the final battle with whatever the gently caress Lulenski turned into by banging Roger's ghost on the boat... and possibly hepatitis.

Well, we don't know if a monster from those effed up feral ghosts would end up being friendly, so there is a possibility that things could get even worse.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
k6bd is about power and also agency

but also gratuitous violence and horniness

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tollymain posted:

k6bd is about power and also agency

but also gratuitous violence and horniness

And sick-rear end Kung Fu fights

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Every AI has a cutesy name" Jesus, Faye, did you forget about Corpse Witch

You dented her face with your meaty fist

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

K6BD also has villains each with a rock solid tragic backstory. And also Gog-Agog.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

habeasdorkus posted:

K6BD also has villains each with a rock solid tragic backstory. And also your pal Gog-Agog.

Fixed that for you.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

habeasdorkus posted:

K6BD also has villains each with a rock solid tragic backstory. And also Gog-Agog.

Dunno if it's still intended to be canon but Gog-Agog had a tragic backstory as the ghost of a girl driven to suicide possessing the worms eating her corpse and from then on bringing death and disaster to the people she loved and the rest of her homeworld.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Malpais Legate posted:

Fixed that for you.

poo poo, how did I miss that trick.

Cat Mattress posted:

Dunno if it's still intended to be canon but Gog-Agog had a tragic backstory as the ghost of a girl driven to suicide possessing the worms eating her corpse and from then on bringing death and disaster to the people she loved and the rest of her homeworld.

Yeah, but even if that's still canon it doesn't (for me anyway) match Mother Om being trapped by her gluttony, Grampy Dragon sacrificing everything to get rich and then becoming senile and unable to even count it, or Swolemon David holding on so tight you can see his white knuckles even when he tries to hide it.

Ofc, Gog-Agog is my very favorite demi-urge and possibly my favorite character. Thank YISUN that they can't concentrate, or everything would be worms.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
This is only tangentially related to webcomics, but Tyson Hesse was brought in to fix the Sonic design on the Sonic movie.

https://twitter.com/tyson_hesse/status/1194331183351357440

which is notable for a former webcomic artist whose biggest claim to fame is still arguably a parody of Sonic he did 10 years ago.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
my webcomic is about sex

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

TwoPair posted:

This is only tangentially related to webcomics, but Tyson Hesse was brought in to fix the Sonic design on the Sonic movie.

https://twitter.com/tyson_hesse/status/1194331183351357440

which is notable for a former webcomic artist whose biggest claim to fame is still arguably a parody of Sonic he did 10 years ago.

He's also been heavily involved in Official Sonic stuff for years, he's done a lot of stuff for the rebooted comics and not to mention was the animation director for the Sonic Mania cutscenes and promotional shorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDYbwdEn7rs

Genuinely the best person for the job, I hope sega puts him in charge of every piece of sonic media going forward.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tyson Hesse has done some pretty good Sonic stuff, and Boxer Hockey was alright, but I think my favorite thing he's done is Diesel.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Tyson Hesse has done some pretty good Sonic stuff, and Boxer Hockey was alright, but I think my favorite thing he's done is Diesel.

Him and Ian Flynn make a good duo for Sonic as writer and artist.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fauna posted:

my webcomic is about sex

how do you feel about the latest installment of ksbd

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

SFP really starts winning you over at first towards the beginning because it really feels like it wants to say something important, but then when the time comes, it doesn't actually have anything important to say. Which kinda feels like the zeitgeist of the time when it was started, the heart of the Obama era where the public at large was largely (maybe willfully) unaware of so many things wrong with the world around them.

Or maybe that was just me in my youthful innocence not being aware yet. I sure got aware of important problems eventually, while SFP never seemed to.

K6BD has been on my "get around to eventually" list for a long while, I just never have. It happens a lot for webcomics. I've got 3 webcomics that I lapsed on reading that I should probably get back to eventually. I really do wanna see what happened in Bittersweet Candy Bowl and Badnix, but it's probably for the best that I've finally drifted away from El Goonish Shive.

SFP was not a good comic but the story of SFP - coupla Portlandia caricatures announcing they're gonna disrupt the poo poo out of a field it's beneath them to actually know anything about; fawning praise for having invented an idea that's been more competently executed thousands of times before; immediate pivot to fascism as soon as obstacles that can't just be ignored come up; clevin - certainly captured an era there yeah

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
My Delirium Alcazar can now be reached at mda.wtf

it has a big stupid name so I wanted to give it a small stupid address

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
https://twitter.com/beatonna/status/1194329276348129280

I'm glad Kate Beaton still occasionally pens something

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Oh man deffo follow that link to get the third panel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Today in Girl Genius, my hopes destroyed: The robot Lucrezia is still out there, making her presence in this mess totally irrelevant. The comic is not accelerating towards a conclusion after all.