Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

CBJSprague24 posted:

So is this thread cool with steveokinevo or whatever that guy's name is that flies TBMs out of South Florida and usually has stunningly gorgeous desk and/or line girls from the FBO in the right seat or not?

He’s one of my gotos for chill background YouTube fwiw, though I miss the caravan trips to the Bahamas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

He'd be cooler if it was a TBM made by GM. :colbert:

Though I guess those do have a tendency to go missing in South Florida....

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
As far as I've seen Steveo is a good pilot with solid skills, neat flights and no pilot deviations so he's alright in my book. :shrug:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

hobbesmaster posted:

He'd be cooler if it was a TBM made by GM. :colbert:

Depends on if the chicks are into metrosexuals or lumberjacks

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Steveo seems solid, I think you could watch him and pick up mainly good habits.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
:thunk: what if Jerry is actually a skilled pilot and all these gently caress ups are calculated and done on purpose for views and controversy

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I genuinely could not intentionally fly that poorly.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

cigaw posted:

As far as I've seen Steveo is a good pilot with solid skills, neat flights and no pilot deviations so he's alright in my book. :shrug:

He seems cool enough, I was just curious. He must have flown for Eagle because he talked in one video about flying Saabs out of MIA (which must mean he's a lot older than he looks, because it's been a while since they had those, hasn't it?).

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This reads a lot like that B-52 that lawn darted in the mid-1990s where the dude wanted people to fly with him and other officers strictly forbade anyone in their Wings to do so, only the pilot in ^that^ report is ten times dumber. The B-52 guy was just a tear-rear end.

quote:

When it arrived at the self-serve fuel station, it knocked over a ladder with one of its propellers.

:wtc:

e- Damnit, meant to edit the previous post, not double-post.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 14, 2019

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

cigaw posted:

The controller instructed them to cross CISBI - a ‘fix’ or published waypoint - at or above 8,000’. If you look at the profile view, CISBI has an altitude posted of 7,700’ and the bar underneath it tells you to cross the fix at or above that altitude. The controller put them 300’ above the published altitude and, while the PIC is responsible for determining if they can meet the stepdowns, I *think* a PC12 can drop an extra 300’ in 8.1NM.

Notice that CISBI is the very first fix depicted on the profile view. The published altitude is the first number as well.

When someone called him out on it in the comments his reply was "YOU ARE CORRECT, it was 6000 at WULFE not CISBI now that I take a second look it does show 7700 at CISBI, our mistake, THANKS FOR RIDING ALONG !" What puzzles me is that even if they crossed CISBI at 8000' it's 8.1 miles to the FAF at 6000' which is less than a 3 degree glideslope. They should have had no problem not only getting down, but having room to slow down so they didn't overspeed the flaps.

CBJSprague24 posted:

He seems cool enough, I was just curious. He must have flown for Eagle because he talked in one video about flying Saabs out of MIA (which must mean he's a lot older than he looks, because it's been a while since they had those, hasn't it?).

It's been about a decade, probably a little longer, and from what I can remember the Saab never flew much in MIA. It was mostly an ATR base.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you're not a good pilot and you let yourself get behind the plane it can be really hard to lose altitude and airspeed in a light twin (or anything faster) so I can totally see Wagner struggling with what should be an easy approach.

By far the biggest adjustment for me when I started flying the twin was being more conscious of energy management. You can't just half-rear end it the same way you can with a 172. He's perennially behind the airplane, so it makes sense he'd cock that up.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I dunno. I don’t think any plane with propellers is hard to slow down or go down. loving 300’ is the standard instrument student altitude error anyway, easily correctable.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
PC12 slows down and gets down pretty easily.

Practice emergency descents are hilarious.

e: the PC12 is incredibly easy to fly, far far easier than a light twin, it’s just that Jerry is an idiot

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

CBJSprague24 posted:

I seem to remember watching a Saab Dulles video of him which would suggest Silver Airways but I'm not certain

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Who wants more Jerry fuckwittedness?

Let’s do stalls in a light twin over a populated area at 1500agl, oh also uncoordinated as gently caress because why not.

Let’s not recover properly and go into a secondary stall.

Also let’s put on display a complete lack of knowledge and understanding of why the plane is able to fly below “stall speed” in a light twin with only one person onboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP5lgb8EnUU

God I love him so much. :allears:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

e.pilot posted:

Let’s do stalls in a light twin over a populated area at 1500agl, oh also uncoordinated as gently caress because why not.

:catstare:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Hold up I need to see this.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Let’s fail one of the most absolutely basic private pilot knowledge items and fail to notice it until the internet points it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2vWkxxhuEI

I.
Love.
Him.
So much.
:allears:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Oh dear...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How the gently caress does this genius have a twin engine plane with nice avionics and I drive a 14 year old Mazda with an exhaust leak.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he doesn't use the words "blast pad" once in that video. does he even know what "the chevrons" are called or why they're there?

it's like his entire flying skillset is cargo-culted. oh, you can do this, i saw a citation do it once, and i heard you can do a maneuver like this so here it is, and this is a thing pilots say at this time so i'll say it too -- but zero comprehension of why anything is done (or not done!) and no ability to analyze his own behavior.

christ

e: aaaa i can't take it. i read the comments on one of his videos where he makes an offhand comment that he likes to roll to the last taxiway to "save the brakes." a commenter says "i notice you taxi with your engines at 1000rpm, you can control the plane better and use less braking
if you keep the throttle down near idle, 850rpm or so." he replies "my engines don't run well below 1000" and uhhhhhhhhhhhh isn't part of the runup checklist pulling your engines to idle to make sure they don't run rough or die???? and he's flying around like that?? aaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 15, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Charles posted:

How the gently caress does this genius have a twin engine plane with nice avionics and I drive a 14 year old Mazda with an exhaust leak.

something something ok boomer

His YouTube profile picture is the most quintessential boomer thing I’ve ever seen in my life

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

He must’ve worked for IBC. They’re the only Saab operator out of Miami that I know of. The Saabs replaced ancient Metroliners in maybe 2012 or so.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I am doing market research. The university (USA) I work for is offering a degree completion program. If you have FAA certificates, we are planning on offering college credit that will get you an Aviation themed university degree. The degree requires other gened and aviation (online) courses but up to 30 hours will transfer based on FAA certificates (private, instrument, commercial, CFI, MEI, ATP, etc)

I need some volunteers who don't have a bachelors degree, but do have some pilot certificates and possible a few gen eds to give me their opinions on our proposed degree plan.

Basically, I need some real world examples to try and help me figure out if we're offering something that might match market demand.

Please PM me for more info.

Captain Apollo fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 15, 2019

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
These Jerry W posts just get better and better

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
:pcgaming::woop:Got my MEI today! My program with ATP is done!:woop::pcgaming:

This was after my checkride got pushed back 5 times, so I guess I got babby’s first schedule fuckery in the aviation world.

Going to indoc on December 2nd, officially instructing at KSAC the week after.

Super excited and relieved!

In other news, Jerry continues to be an asshat.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rickety Cricket posted:

These Jerry W posts just get better and better

I showed him to my flight instructor today after we got back. Went from

"that's a really bad approach...I mean maybe he had the runway in sight at minimums, but like, a quarter second before at most"

to

"I mean, that's definitely not the sight picture you should expect when you pop out, clearly he flew the whole thing wrong"

then after a few more clips,

"He's in a sixty-degree bank a hundred feet above the ground!!?? On final??"

to

"Oh my God I mean obstacles look closer than they are but that's the bay bridge and he's banked...I don't know what that is! Eighty degrees??"

to

"Yeah, he's a cowboy who can't do anything wrong and won't listen to anyone. He's going to be one of the guys where after he crashes, the investigators ask everyone in the room "were you surprised that he crashed?" and everything says no. What an rear end in a top hat"

And in the midst of it all the guy at the desk popped in and was like "ooooo, are we talking about Jerry?" so lol yeah he's a well known terror.

My emotion is somewhere between :allears: and :whitewater:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Anyway in other news flying is great and I saw a cool amphibian (Grumman Mallard?) departing as I was on downwind. That guy's living the dream

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

flying is great

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

cigaw posted:

:pcgaming::woop:Got my MEI today! My program with ATP is done!:woop::pcgaming:

This was after my checkride got pushed back 5 times, so I guess I got babby’s first schedule fuckery in the aviation world.

Going to indoc on December 2nd, officially instructing at KSAC the week after.

Super excited and relieved!

In other news, Jerry continues to be an asshat.

congrats!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

I am doing market research. The university (USA) I work for is offering a degree completion program. If you have FAA certificates, we are planning on offering college credit that will get you an Aviation themed university degree. The degree requires other gened and aviation (online) courses but up to 30 hours will transfer based on FAA certificates (private, instrument, commercial, CFI, MEI, ATP, etc)

I need some volunteers who don't have a bachelors degree, but do have some pilot certificates and possible a few gen eds to give me their opinions on our proposed degree plan.

Basically, I need some real world examples to try and help me figure out if we're offering something that might match market demand.

Please PM me for more info.

I have an associates in ATC (lol) that needs to somehow become a 4yr degree for my hopeful 121 career. Regional class date is coming up and once I get settled into that job I'll be pursuing the degree. I haven't begun to look into anything like this yet so I'm not sure how enticing 'up to 30' hours sounds.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Let me rephrase. Up to 30 credit hours will be given for FAA certificates.

You can transfer as much as possible from previous institutions for the university degree.

So I think how we imagine it goes like this.

People with CFI from a part 61 school or 141 school never got their bachelors. But they’ve taken a couple years worth of undergrad courses.

They come to us, we enroll them in upper level aviation courses and when they’re finished with the amount they need, we issue credit for their certificates and give them a bachelors.

It won’t count for restricted ATP minimums, but it would help for those looking for a degree completion program.

Another way of looking at it:
120 hours needed for a Bachelors
30 credits (up to) to be given based on certificates
21 ish upper level aviation courses to take (and some taken elsewhere would be eligible for transfer)
Remaining would be GenEd stuff.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

how do I get a flying job with a bs, half a ppl, and visible tattoos? 😭😭😭

poo poo....

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

poo poo....

I’ve seen heavy freight jet pilots with full sleeve tattoos. I think if you can sneak it through the interview they won’t kick you out once you are in, because boxes don’t care.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What kind of tattoos are we talking? Navy "EA-6B 100 COMBAT MISSIONS" on your forearm or more like "laughing Joker face on your neck" kind of thing?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

A full back tattoo of "Jerry Wagner did nothing wrong" in ornate script

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Finish your ratings, and wear long sleeves. If your tattoos aren't covered up by long sleeves/pants enjoy the excruciating pain of laser tattoo removal.

Comedy option: Get a job interview and show up looking like this.

Captain Apollo posted:

It won’t count for restricted ATP minimums, but it would help for those looking for a degree completion program.

Let me be blunt: This is stupid, not Jerry levels of stupid but it's up there. Why would someone who already has their certificates want to get a degree in aviation that doesn't qualify for a restricted ATP?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
What’s the name of the university?

I have a few years towards a bachelors in chemistry, a CFI-II-MEI-ATP-A&P and will maybe be looking for a four year in something in the future but won’t start until my schedule improves one way or another.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I think the premise originally cane about because many of our own CFIs weren’t finishing their degrees because of the good job market.

Now those same students with more than half of their degree finished are wishing they had finished their bachelors degree. They don’t need the hours, because they already have them.

I believe this is a way for them (and others) to be able to accomplish that goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

poo poo....

Where I work, the policy is that pilots can't have visible tattoos (oddly enough, it's okay for flight attendants), but there's no issue if you cover them with long sleeves or a band-aid.

There's a part of the policy that says you can't wear a compression sleeve or something to cover up tattoos, but that section is routinely ignored.