Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

SirPhoebos posted:

Why is embracing the Renaissance so drat expensive? I had to take out multiple loans. I'm pretty sure I did something wrong, but I can't figure out what.

The price depends on how far it has spread in your lands. If you wait long enough it will eventually cost just 1 ducat.

It is a matter of weighing up the need to tech up vs the price. If you don't really need to tech up immediately there's no harm in letting it spread further in your lands. There is a progress bar in the screen where you embrace and if you hover over it you can see which states are the most expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

And speaking of institutions and penalties for not having them, remember the only tech you really need to keep up with is military. Sure the corruption penalty for whatever "unbalanced research" is supposed to represent is annoying but you aren't missing out on much if you're a couple techs behind on admin and diplo, while failing to keep units up-to-date will put you at a ridiculous disadvantage in combat, especially for the first half of the game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SirPhoebos posted:

Why is embracing the Renaissance so drat expensive? I had to take out multiple loans. I'm pretty sure I did something wrong, but I can't figure out what.

EDIT: after three Portugal games stalled due to learning pangs, I feel like I need a new recommendation for a beginner's nation.

My first really good game was with Mali, trying for the Abu Bakr II's Ambition achievement.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

This is normal. Just take the loans, it's worth it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

If you finish the grand campaign having achieved all your map-painting goals but with 30ish loans and twice as much corruption, do you still win? This has plagued me every game since I realized loans (and sometimes debasing currency) were free money with no downsides after 1780 or so.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yup. Loans are free money.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In the ledger under Military there's a page that will show everyone's total army size and manpower reserve. You can filter it for allies, war enemies, rivals, etc or just by typing the names of specific countries.

From time to time I post to EU4 suggestions forum asking them to add this info to diplomatic tech tooltip or something. It was there in Victoria 2. But no, to the ledger with you.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Yup. Loans are free money.

Yeah but do you still "win" if you kinda cheat in a game with no win condition

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Why is embracing the Renaissance so drat expensive?
The Renaissance is very very cheap compared to the later ones.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

EDIT: after three Portugal games stalled due to learning pangs, I feel like I need a new recommendation for a beginner's nation.

The Ottomans have one of the best starting positions in the game, and touch on pretty much all the mechanics in the game. They can even go colonize when you've come far enough to conquer Egypt.

The trick is mostly to keep switching directions to expand in. The mideast won't care much about you conquering Europe, and vice versa.

NB: coalitions or a very early war with the Mamluks can cause you trouble, so watch out for those.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

If you finish the grand campaign having achieved all your map-painting goals but with 30ish loans and twice as much corruption, do you still win? This has plagued me every game since I realized loans (and sometimes debasing currency) were free money with no downsides after 1780 or so.

this is the first step to doing the 1500 achievements

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Do you still build stuff after 1750 knowing that it won't really pay for itself?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Started a new game as the Ottomans. I've been expanding nicely, but I'd like some advice on how to deal with Venice's navy. I'm starting to work on getting European allies, but they're caught up in a war and won't join right now. Am I just going to have to deal with not having naval control?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SirPhoebos posted:

Started a new game as the Ottomans. I've been expanding nicely, but I'd like some advice on how to deal with Venice's navy. I'm starting to work on getting European allies, but they're caught up in a war and won't join right now. Am I just going to have to deal with not having naval control?
Insert the AoE2 voiceclip "Build a Navy" here. I'm not sure what the "best" navy to build is, but I just spam galleys as the Ottomans and do 'fine'. You lose some, sometimes you lose them all, but they're so cheap you just build more. I think you can stiffen them up a bit by adding a couple Heavies to your fleet.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Insert the AoE2 voiceclip "Build a Navy" here. I'm not sure what the "best" navy to build is, but I just spam galleys as the Ottomans and do 'fine'. You lose some, sometimes you lose them all, but they're so cheap you just build more. I think you can stiffen them up a bit by adding a couple Heavies to your fleet.

This. As the Ottomans, especially if you're expanding properly, you're going to have All The Money and can easily throw wave after wave of galleys (most cost effective ship in the Mediterranean) at their fleet until you grind it down to nothing

E: that said, maybe mix some heavies in your fleets and try to get good admirals to try and limit your losses, no point in wasting too many resources

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’m thinking about starting a new game in Eastern Europe/the Baltic. Who are some interesting (and not that hard-I’m not that good) nations in that area? Thinking of Muscovy or Novgorod to form Russia or maybe Sweden?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

TorakFade posted:

This. As the Ottomans, especially if you're expanding properly, you're going to have All The Money and can easily throw wave after wave of galleys (most cost effective ship in the Mediterranean) at their fleet until you grind it down to nothing

E: that said, maybe mix some heavies in your fleets and try to get good admirals to try and limit your losses, no point in wasting too many resources

Would you recommend going over the cap limit? Should I replace some of my cogs with Galleys?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Insert the AoE2 voiceclip "Build a Navy" here.

lol I think of these constantly when I play this game.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’m thinking about starting a new game in Eastern Europe/the Baltic. Who are some interesting (and not that hard-I’m not that good) nations in that area? Thinking of Muscovy or Novgorod to form Russia or maybe Sweden?

Muscovy is easy (if you own Third Rome, ridiculously so), Novgorod is harder. Sweden can get very good but it’s a kind of tricky start where you’re poor as poo poo and need to escape from a PU. Poland(-Lithuania) is quite interesting, you have loads of territory and can expand in whatever direction you please but you also get some kind of nasty events and have big tanky enemies nearby in Muscovy/Russia and Ottos so it’s not all plain sailing.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

SirPhoebos posted:

Would you recommend going over the cap limit? Should I replace some of my cogs with Galleys?

Yes, going over naval cap is not a big deal, especially if your fleet is mostly made of galleys/cogs (going over with a lot of heavies can be expensive though). Don't do that with armies though, that is way more expensive.

Cogs are useless for fighting, they take a beating from every other type of ship and are only good at transporting troops. Only keep as many as you need to move your stacks around (maybe with an extra 5-10 just as backup), and go all in on galleys with a sprinkle of heavy ships

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You shouldn't really need more than 10 cogs or so as Ottomans, there are only three places that you actually need them for (Crete, Rhodes, and Cyprus) and none of them should be heavily defended.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

How many light ships do I need for my trade fleet? I think I'm at 7, should I replace those too?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SirPhoebos posted:

How many light ships do I need for my trade fleet? I think I'm at 7, should I replace those too?

No idea what's optimal but I always do mine in multiples of 10 because I'm anal like that.

I usually do a minimum of 10 per node, with 20 being the ideal "default" if I can afford it. Obviously more if the node is super duper important and if trade ship propagation is the only way I can get decent trade power in that node.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

You don't need any light ships if you can afford it. The size of your trade fleet is an entirely economic decision.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

maybe they changed it but galleys have traditionally been suboptimal. when a ship dies there's a significant morale hit to the remaining ships, which means they die sooner, which means the remaining ships die even faster, and it all snowballs. galleys melt under pressure and will cost you battles

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I said it in the Paradox thread, and I’ll say it here - Aragon is a great starter country. Good position to expand in multiple directions, lots of different alliance options, a powerful naval presence, and the possibility of just getting Castile for free or even Burgundy, depending.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

autumnal oddium posted:

maybe they changed it but galleys have traditionally been suboptimal. when a ship dies there's a significant morale hit to the remaining ships, which means they die sooner, which means the remaining ships die even faster, and it all snowballs. galleys melt under pressure and will cost you battles

With the introduction of naval width, galleys in the mediterranean became optimal. They have more power per width than heavies when they get their bonus, and so will defeat even equal-number fleets of heavies

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Yeah heavies get murdered now in the med or the Baltic. Does that change at higher tech levels? Historically, it probably should: Nelson didn’t switch to using galleys when he was chasing Napoleon’s fleet all over the Mediterranean.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SirPhoebos posted:

It depends entirely on the value in the node and how much competition you're facing.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Where do I check what my Aggressive Expansion is?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SirPhoebos posted:

Where do I check what my Aggressive Expansion is?

It’s a negative modifier to relations so you can check it by mousing over the number for opinion another nation has of you. It varies from country to country depending on proximity, culture and religion (iirc) so there is no one AE value that you have at any given time — it depends on the nation you’re looking at.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

skasion posted:

It’s a negative modifier to relations so you can check it by mousing over the number for opinion another nation has of you. It varies from country to country depending on proximity, culture and religion (iirc) so there is no one AE value that you have at any given time — it depends on the nation you’re looking at.

Also, it's the basis for the super-handy "coalition" map mode.

(Colour scale could be better in that mode, though.)

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Also counterintuitively Aggressive Expansion is much more dangerous for smaller nations.

Like if you start as, say, Milan and force-vassalize something like Genoa without a proper Casus Belli you'll probably have a coalition war on your hand because France and Venice will see a war against you as a free prestige and power projection. When you become huge you may even want coalitions cause it means you get declared on so you're not breaking any truces.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

autumnal oddium posted:

Pinch of salt and Florry being Florry, but in his latest Byzantium run he has been using exclusively heavies against Otto, right from the start. Granted, he games it by attacking their transport fleet and hoping their galley fleet engages when the transports are already low morale, but from what I understood he considers heavies to be better overall.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

ilitarist posted:

Like if you start as, say, Milan and force-vassalize something like Genoa without a proper Casus Belli you'll probably have a coalition war on your hand because France and Venice will see a war against you as a free prestige and power projection. When you become huge you may even want coalitions cause it means you get declared on so you're not breaking any truces.

The cute trick to break coalitions when you're strong enough is to not wait for them to declare on you, but find some third party allied to a coalition member, declare on them, and set that coalition member as a co-belligerent. Boom, now you're at war with the whole coalition but can peace out each member separately. So pick a target, beat them up, peace out for as much of their stuff as you want or can, then go on to the next. Small enemies will be dead, bigger enemies will be weakened, and as a nice bonus you will be on separate and different truce timers with all the survivors.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I usually find aggressive expansion a non-issue once I'm big, since I can get everyone in the West mad at me, then switch to expanding on my faraway Eastern border while the Westerners cool off.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Groke posted:

The cute trick to break coalitions

Holy Roman Emperors HATE HIM!!!

I think this behaviour is an exploit and was reported many times. Coalition members are described as non-cobelligerents and the fact that you can attack first to break the worst thing about coalitions is extremely gamey. But in any case, it's not something a new player should care about cause it's only useful when you're juggernaut going for WC.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

ilitarist posted:

I think this behaviour is an exploit and was reported many times. Coalition members are described as non-cobelligerents and the fact that you can attack first to break the worst thing about coalitions is extremely gamey. But in any case, it's not something a new player should care about cause it's only useful when you're juggernaut going for WC.

Yes, yes it is a gamey trick. Like so many other things in this soul-consuming game. The downside is that any allies you have may be less likely to help if you're the aggressor.

Can be useful in many other situations than a WC attempt, though. Basically any time you're on a path towards regional dominance but not there yet, and a coalition of other local/regional powers challenges you.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

a simple trick to unravel a smallish coalition is to fabricate a claim on a tiny province of the largest member you can and then threaten war for that province. if they accept they get a truce and can't be in the coalition and without them it usually falls apart. if they don't accept try the next biggest member

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
Another gamey trick for the special case where you're going for the HRE vassal swarm is to blob, add provinces to the HRE, let the coalition form and declare on you, then immediately peace out by releasing a bunch of nations. Bam, you just got rid of a lot of provinces (that state/territory limit can be a real pain especially when you're a mere duchy) and got a bunch more HRE princes, and it cost you way less than the 10 prestige per province if you did it manually.

(Caving to separatist rebels also works, 10 prestige for a whole nation vs. 10 prestige for each province...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I ended my independence guarantee with Ragusa in prep for invading them. There's no truce timer on the diplomacy window, but the game warns me that I'll get the truce-breaker penalties if I declare. Is the truce timer just in the background, or is the game glitching on me and I have a permanent truce with Ragusa?

EDIT: On more general advice, what's a good guide to picking ideas?

EDIT2: sort of wish there was a way to provoke rebel stacks into popping and not have to wait for a 90% agitation to tick over

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 15, 2019