Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

joebuddah posted:

Yes. He is also Aidan from being human.

No, Mr. Chipping is (was) Aidan from Being Human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
My partner was away for a few weeks so we watched 4 whole episodes in one go. I think I might have a secret half sibling.. or a cousin now

Edit: also Veronica's OLDER half sister is named Hermosa? Who names their first born love child "sister" in their native language?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Shoehead posted:

Edit: also Veronica's OLDER half sister is named Hermosa? Who names their first born love child "sister" in their native language?

sister is hermana
hermosa is beautiful

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Lol my Spanish!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

dios mio man.

I love Veronica taking her family’s original name. Does the surname Luna have any backstory with Veronica in the comics? Also, any other secret siblings from the old books?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shoehead posted:

Lol my Spanish!

I mean, you were fair to assume it was 'sister', that's a very Archie rear end setup.

Also I'm glad I'm not the only one who cackled at a dude just leaping out a window unprompted.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Chipping did a straight up swimmer's dive out that sucker, if you didn't laugh this show ain't for you.

I was cackling harder as they panned to the students who were just staring dumbly at Jughead.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm still processing the last few episodes. Besides my poor Spanish.

-I'm sad that Toni is now atm the straightman for Cheryl's antics, even though said antics are amazing. (we can keep the corpse in the house but only as long as we get rid of the creepy doll!) But what about Toni's life? What about the Poisons.

-Speaking of the Poisons and gangs in general where the hell is Sweetpea? His girl ditched him for Archie and then left town, his best friend got married to a guy in a cult and.. is in jail? I dunno. He's having a tough year

-Archie is fighting crime but like only the crime in one single alleyway. Kids do crime for free goes at time crisis. Archie cures a (homeless?) child of crime by forcing him to work in a diner.

-Hermione cannot resist the power of Hiram's bare torso

-JUNIOR FBI

-LIKE THE FBI FOR KIDS

-and they all just accept this. They all have polo shirts with the FBI seal embroidered on them

-I love that there is a fake Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew in this world and that both Betty and Jughead loved them. Because of course they did, that's just good worldbuilding right there.

-I love that Hermosa has pearls like Veronica used to wear. I also like them being dressed in black and white when Veronica sees her portrait.

-Sad that the show was a pains to establish Moose as a bisexual character only to write him out 3 episodes later? Unless he's actually dead or something.

Last thing. I think this show had to wrap up a few important things at the start of this season, which has kind of gotten in the way of letting some characters really address some weird poo poo in their lives. (It's also restored the status quo somewhat which is disappointing on its own).
Like no one has visited the twins. FP and Alice seem to have hooked up off screen, Jughead and Archie have talked like twice this season I think, the Serpent's leader is off in a prep school, Reggie's 2 episode physical abuse arc ending offscreen (maybe), Veronica KILLED A GUY.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It def feels like they've edited out important poo poo. Maybe we'll get a director's cut someday?

A fun story I heard Brian Kemper once tell, they had to cut cut bits out of many episodes to make the maximum run time for air. So he later realized they "previously" bumper didn't count as airtime so he started sneaking the cut bits into those bumpers and it was a super secret special feature that the network was unaware of until years later. Maybe Riverdale needs that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I remember an SG1 episode where the "previously on" bit was all stuff that never appeared in episodes before. Maybe that was the 200th episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah that was the gag, it was the one and only time we saw the mythical Furlings.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Rhyno posted:

It def feels like they've edited out important poo poo. Maybe we'll get a director's cut someday?

A fun story I heard Brian Kemper once tell, they had to cut cut bits out of many episodes to make the maximum run time for air. So he later realized they "previously" bumper didn't count as airtime so he started sneaking the cut bits into those bumpers and it was a super secret special feature that the network was unaware of until years later. Maybe Riverdale needs that.

They did this exact thing last episode! There's a clip on the previously on where Archie suggests to Reggie that the Bulldogs help out at El Royale that iirc never aired.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 17, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pinterest Mom posted:

They did this exact thing last episode! There's a clip on the previously on where Archie suggests to Reggie that the Bulldogs help out at El Royals that iirc never aired.

Ha! Must be a well known practice.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What the gently caress Cheryl. I wonder if they will ever meet with the main group again.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cheryl and Toni are both being super casual about this whole murder thing.

Like, Betty spent two episodes angsting over maybe possibly being genetically predisposed towards serial killing, but those two were over an actual death they caused before the body was even cold.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I feel like Betty and Jughead's actors never want to be in the same room together

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well they IRL broke up so that's likely.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I heard it was just rumours and they're still together, or so Tumblr tells me.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Cheryl and Toni are both being super casual about this whole murder thing.

Like, Betty spent two episodes angsting over maybe possibly being genetically predisposed towards serial killing, but those two were over an actual death they caused before the body was even cold.

Well, Toni was a long time Serpent and involved in pretty murky waters in gang land. Cheryl is just a chaos demon in a teeny tiny skirt. They are not very good for each other these days which is sad.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

So like a lot of you we watch the episode the day after on the CW app and this was a LOT of episode. Last year my wife and I were talking about how can one top last season where:

• Archie was literally maimed by a bear in the woods
  • Floating babies
  • A cult called "The Farm" ended up literally being a cult that farmed organs
  • Brothel purveyor/Super Villain Penelope Blossom
  • Archie killing a man-bear, or bear sized man?

We are now seven episodes into this season and:
Archie has attempted to become a super hero/vigilante
Chad Michael Murray was dressed up like a Canadian version of Evel Knievel mounting a rocket to blast into space while his DaughterWife drives a bus with a shield of farmies strapped to the front off of a cliff
Secret half siblings!
Not Chick is the secret lover of a secret half sibling!
Jason's rat infested body being carted around in a wheelchair!
Hyrum becomes Mayor and a rum person?
Veronica pulls the entirety of Thanksgiving onto the floor
Archie explodes a fried turkey and saves the day*
*Mary saves the day and lawyers the hell out of some thugs
Toni straight up killed a dude and doesn't seem phased AT ALL
Cheryl is made up of 80% legs and 30% lips and 10% absorbed fetus.

I think this show is outdoing itself. Nice work Riverdale.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Hiram being really aggressively sexual on screen was kinda questionable last week but the way they frame Donna as maybe lying about being raped to antagonize Jughead is kinda hosed up. This season kinda sucks overall but "she might be lying about being raped to cover up a murder" is next level bad

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That’s also just Betty who is kind of a psycho.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Eej posted:

Hiram being really aggressively sexual on screen was kinda questionable last week but the way they frame Donna as maybe lying about being raped to antagonize Jughead is kinda hosed up. This season kinda sucks overall but "she might be lying about being raped to cover up a murder" is next level bad

Yeah I was holding my breath but the way it ended seems like her secret society made her out her actual abuser against her will to do a cover-up because people weren't falling for the suicide thing. As if it was written for her to be lying and then last minute someone pointed out how bad that would be. We'll see though.

I think they thought they were clear with the Hiram scene as long as Hermione was putting in effort but they really needed to establish that she's not afraid of him if they wanted me to get a boner us to be cool with it.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I love that they're finally getting therapy in the next episode but the therapist is probably a gang leader cannibal serial killer.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Of course.

Where do you guys see the next week promos? They don't seem to be on the CWTV site this season.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Shneak posted:

I love that they're finally getting therapy in the next episode but the therapist is probably a gang leader cannibal serial killer.

The best possible way to handle this would be to have the therapist be a gang leader cannibal serial killer, but also a genuinely good and helpful therapist and an honestly nice person.

The gang leading/serial killing/cannibalism is just a hobby, it doesn't define them as a person! And it certainly isn't going to interfere with them helping their patients with their mental wellness.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I want to have a complete straight person, who becomes corrupted by Psychopathic Hellhole NY.
"What the hell is wrong with the people in this city? Is the water contaminated? It literally was at some point? Well that might explain up to 15 percents of those incidents. Maybe there is actually something to this serial killing thing, if everyone is so into it. I Might need to give it a try sometime."

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 24, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This poo poo has gone so far off the rails, I can barely care anymore.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I sit next to a ladylike, well made up person at work. I'm a flobby no makeup slob. We have bonded over our love for this wacky tacky show. Go Riverdale!
(And we both agree Madeleine Petsch is stunning)

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I have really been enjoying the show this season, even if each storyline takes place in their own universe. I am not even sure if Cheryl and Toni interact with their school pals anymore. I am also not sure if I fully understood their plan, but I am fully aware that the show may be too smart for me.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

We don't deserve Riverdale.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Gina Torres breaking the fourth wall for us and basically letting the viewer talk to the kids kinda owns

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wow, a competent therapist who's actually helpful and gives the characters good advice. That's rare in television shows, good for Riverdale for portraying counseling as an unambiguously positive thing.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Wow, a competent therapist who's actually helpful and gives the characters good advice. That's rare in television shows, good for Riverdale for portraying counseling as an unambiguously positive thing.

She opened the episode with "Oh, Betty, do you mind if your mother unexpectedly joins us for therapy"!!

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

So she's either gonna get murdered or be a serial killer.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pinterest Mom posted:

She opened the episode with "Oh, Betty, do you mind if your mother unexpectedly joins us for therapy"!!

Well, yeah, in the real world it would insane to spontaneously turn an individual counseling session into a group session, but it worked within the context of the episode. Like, the therapeutic process was super condensed because they have to cram everything in within 45 minutes, but the advice she gave and giving people a safe place to talk through there problems was still presented as a good thing which I appreciated.

Also, since it's Riverdale her good advice of "Archie for the love of GOD stop dressing up in a mask and fighting crime you're going to get yourself or your loved ones killed" leads to Archie instead doing the crazy thing of moving out and fighting crime MORE, but then that kind of stupidity is part of why I love this show.

MorgaineDax posted:

So she's either gonna get murdered or be a serial killer.

Or the leader of a gang/cult.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Also, since it's Riverdale her good advice of "Archie for the love of GOD stop dressing up in a mask and fighting crime you're going to get yourself or your loved ones killed" leads to Archie instead doing the crazy thing of moving out and fighting crime MORE, but then that kind of stupidity is part of why I love this show.

"You calling me stupid? I'LL show you stupid!!!" -Archie's mindset in literally all situations

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Majorian posted:

"You calling me stupid? I'LL show you stupid!!!" -Archie's mindset in literally all situations

It's the motto of the entire show really, but ESPECIALLY Archie.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Cheryl's house right now:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It's the motto of the entire show really, but ESPECIALLY Archie.

archie: https://twitter.com/dril/status/972534838057230336

jughead: https://twitter.com/dril/status/877004092555612160

betty: https://twitter.com/dril/status/477676265458384896

veronica: https://twitter.com/dril/status/922426111920885760

cheryl: https://twitter.com/dril/status/516183352106577920