Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

JBP posted:

Lol this game is getting 90s

These reviews read very similarly to the reviews for Outer Worlds which are more invested in what it means for the genre or IP than whether the game is doing anything special

Who dismembered you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

Who dismembered you?

From what he was talking about earlier, it sounds like someone dismembered either his PS4’s hard drive or RAM.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Just pressed the button to open the door on the train a hundred times to hear the Emperor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrAkD9RdidQ&t=111s

Game good so far, although it should have been about young Kanan.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

From what he was talking about earlier, it sounds like someone dismembered either his PS4’s hard drive or RAM.

The only other game with this kind of pop in is GOW and it actually looks good. My PS4 is very good, works great. It's the game. The ram doesn't make gameplay.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Also on hard the game becomes trivial after four hours and the only option is to turn on hp bag mode

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Wheeee posted:

i wish i was actually surprised at how many weirdo idiots are mad that this game wasn't developed around doing gimmicky Revengeance style cutting poo poo with a lightsaber

If you're not aping from Revengeance you done goofed the gently caress up.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

JBP posted:

Also on hard the game becomes trivial after four hours and the only option is to turn on hp bag mode

You have posted like 50 times across two different threads about how much you hate this game you continue to play. You need to dust off your brain

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Joe Gillian posted:

If you're not aping from Revengeance you done goofed the gently caress up.

Sticking too close to that formula is begging for people to bitch about how you didn’t do it exactly the same.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Sticking too close to that formula is begging for people to bitch about how you didn’t do it exactly the same.

Counterpoint: It's a loving lightsaber.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
For 15 dollars this game sounds like a steal

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

JBP posted:

Lol this game is getting 90s

These reviews read very similarly to the reviews for Outer Worlds which are more invested in what it means for the genre or IP than whether the game is doing anything special

You seem to be the only one with a problem with the game. Thinking it's more likely that you're just an idiot

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I played through the first hour and a half or so of the game (PC version) and it seems pretty good and fun so far, but I'm getting ridiculously awful hitching whenever the game has to load a new area or cutscene. I don't think I've actually seen an entire cutscene all the way through, it will just play the first 5 or so seconds and then i have to stare at whatever frame it gets stuck on and wait for the audio for the rest of the cutscene to finish playing. Likewise, if I'm about to transition into a new area the game will just kind of hang for 15-20 seconds until it finishes loading poo poo in.

I've already got it installed on an SSD, and whenever it's not loading anything I am able to get a smooth 60fps at both 1080p and 1440p, so I'm guessing there's not really anything I can do about this? I'm running on an i5-6500, 16gb ram, 8GB 1070

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Control Volume posted:

You have posted like 50 times across two different threads about how much you hate this game you continue to play. You need to dust off your brain

I've said the game has good maps and the combat is alright it's just ugly and janky. The map design is good respawn poo poo.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The Giantbomb quick look devotes some time to talking about the kind of technical jank JBP mentioned. They've also played on PS4 for what it's worth.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

my boy has some real nervous, fidgety energy in the start menu. Anyway game good so far, the VA is actually p good which helps

e; I would also like to know what conditioner he buys

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 15, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is this game in any of the service bundles? (Uplay+, Microsoft games, PSPlus etc etc)

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
It’s on EA Origin Access on PC

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

GhostDog posted:

The Giantbomb quick look devotes some time to talking about the kind of technical jank JBP mentioned. They've also played on PS4 for what it's worth.

It's because UE4 needs more bandwidth to stream high res assets than the 5200 RPM HDDs in the consoles can handle. It's also why there are so many crawly spaces that slow down the gameplay a tad. The loading screens in the giant bomb quickplay were significantly longer than I'm seeing on an SSD and the only tweak I had to make was to change it to exclusive fullscreen. 6700k & 980 ti able to handle 60+ FPS at 1440 on max settings.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Game good.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Are there mouse droids

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Jawdroppingly
Bad
Poster

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
This game needs double force jumping and Kyle katarn somersaults.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Wheeee posted:

Game is gorgeous on max settings PC at least!

It plays well, and I personally enjoy the faster combat to Dark Souls, but it's also giving me a hankerin' to try Sekiro now since the enemies aren't quite as diverse or interesting as in Dark Souls.

what engine is it? I thought they'd use their Frostbite but the "Epic" setting says Unreal 4 to me. If so, it's pretty great for an UE4 title.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Unlocked double lightsaber and I'm never using the single ever again

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Eurogamer review makes me wonder if purchasing the game was a slightly bad idea (waiting for a download). It doesn't seem like a terrible game but judging from streams and reviews the amount of traversal is little too much and the story isn't that great. Combat seems decent enough but admittedly if I'm thinking finally giving Souls-esque games a chance buying Sekiro off a sale would be a better idea. The pacing makes me wonder if there's any chance of story DLC in the future.

Though gently caress the noise that's being amplified by chuds (partly with a good reason) hating on EA and current Star Wars, some of the poo poo I'm being seen said by people not even playing the game is downright psychotic.

But to me it's legit first interesting Star Wars game in 16/15 years since Jedi Academy and KOTOR 2, maybe SWTOR to a lesser degree, so I'm prone to give it a chance. And as much as I loved Jedi Academy/Outcast those games don't fit the category of a triple A game these days and I just can't see anyone copying the exact formula. For example as amazing as the saber system was and I'd like to see basically a remaster of it, it was also arcadey and janky as hell, and this is coming from someone who put countless of hours into the multiplayer and actually enjoyed it. It was very "free-form" and "floaty" compared to any melee-based games today, and in a multiplayer setting Academy's was broken at least in one major way and competitive gamers today would find even more ways to break a similar system.

I'd still sell my kidney for a new, well-made Jedi Knight game with a good multiplayer component.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Dan Didio posted:

A good middle ground for all the sickos would be if all the droids cried and pleaded as they were dismembered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ-ggzfdsMs

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
This was worth the origin access fee.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

astr0man posted:

I played through the first hour and a half or so of the game (PC version) and it seems pretty good and fun so far, but I'm getting ridiculously awful hitching whenever the game has to load a new area or cutscene.
I also had stuttering, but I'm on a Ryzen 3600 and GTX 1060. Halfway through the tutorial planet, I tried a few things at once so I'm not sure exactly which (mostly) fixed it: set the Window Mode to Fullscreen instead of Windowed Fullscreen, enabled VSync, and disabled the Origin in-game overlay. I just tried turning the overlay back on and it still seems to have stopped hitching on the third planet I'm currently on, so changing the window mode to Fullscreen or turning on the game's VSync might help.

e: Also, I have no idea if the 441.20 "Game Ready" Nvidia driver improves things or not, as I'm currently still on 441.12 but it seems to be working fine. If you haven't installed the newest driver, you could try that too and see if it helps.

Oh yeah, I also forgot that I changed the "power management mode" for the game in the Nvidia control panel to "Prefer Maximum Performance." I'm not sure if that actually makes any difference, though.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 15, 2019

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Any consensus on PS4 Pro vs. Xbox One here? I would buy on PC, but my three-year-old fuckin' loves Star Wars right now, and he'd probably want to watch.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Xbox One X and I regularly have load times after dying that last nearly a minute.

I'm really enjoying this game when I fight humanoid enemies. Unfortunately I'm mostly fighting monsters and currently I'm trying to deal with spiders that swarm you and leap around and turn into acid when they die and it's a loving miserable experience so I'm going to go a different planet because this one is incredibly unfun, maybe I'll get some abilities that make these manageable!

Oh it's also great that you can't tell if an enemy is doing an unblockable attack if they have the glow that means you need to hit them to get your exp back, because that glow overrides the unblockable attack glow.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

haldolium posted:

what engine is it? I thought they'd use their Frostbite but the "Epic" setting says Unreal 4 to me. If so, it's pretty great for an UE4 title.

Yea it's UE4.

With regard to performance, on a 6700K 2080 at 1440p epic settings the framerate swings wildly between 60 and 130fps depending on the area; lowest I've seen is 50ish. There's also some frame hitching at times when the game is streaming in assets, even on an SSD. If Origin lets me copy installed game folders like Steam I may move it to an NVME drive and see if that makes a difference.

While the framerate variance is annoying, it also makes sense given the engine and how detailed this game can be, and in general this is a gorgeous game.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Xbox One X and I regularly have load times after dying that last nearly a minute.

I'm really enjoying this game when I fight humanoid enemies. Unfortunately I'm mostly fighting monsters and currently I'm trying to deal with spiders that swarm you and leap around and turn into acid when they die and it's a loving miserable experience so I'm going to go a different planet because this one is incredibly unfun, maybe I'll get some abilities that make these manageable!

Oh it's also great that you can't tell if an enemy is doing an unblockable attack if they have the glow that means you need to hit them to get your exp back, because that glow overrides the unblockable attack glow.

Yeah I don't know why they let you go to Dathomir first you literally can't get very far and the planet is hard as poo poo.

Really fun to sync kill the lesser whatever at the start though

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Dessel posted:

Eurogamer review makes me wonder if purchasing the game was a slightly bad idea (waiting for a download). It doesn't seem like a terrible game but judging from streams and reviews the amount of traversal is little too much and the story isn't that great. Combat seems decent enough but admittedly if I'm thinking finally giving Souls-esque games a chance buying Sekiro off a sale would be a better idea. The pacing makes me wonder if there's any chance of story DLC in the future.

Though gently caress the noise that's being amplified by chuds (partly with a good reason) hating on EA and current Star Wars, some of the poo poo I'm being seen said by people not even playing the game is downright psychotic.

But to me it's legit first interesting Star Wars game in 16/15 years since Jedi Academy and KOTOR 2, maybe SWTOR to a lesser degree, so I'm prone to give it a chance. And as much as I loved Jedi Academy/Outcast those games don't fit the category of a triple A game these days and I just can't see anyone copying the exact formula. For example as amazing as the saber system was and I'd like to see basically a remaster of it, it was also arcadey and janky as hell, and this is coming from someone who put countless of hours into the multiplayer and actually enjoyed it. It was very "free-form" and "floaty" compared to any melee-based games today, and in a multiplayer setting Academy's was broken at least in one major way and competitive gamers today would find even more ways to break a similar system.

I'd still sell my kidney for a new, well-made Jedi Knight game with a good multiplayer component.

The combat is nowhere near Souls or Sekiro levels. I would honestly rate the combat in Shadow of War to be better, or at least to be definitely more fun.

The game is not terrible, far from it, but it's the same parcourse/combat/explore stuff that we have seen from so many other games, just this time with a Star Wars skin and sometimes very pretty textures. And there is sooo much climbing that after 3.5 hours I was sick of it. Also you gotta re-visit many places and there is no fast travel, so you keep slogging through the vistas you already saw and beat the same enemies again and again.

Eurogamer described my feeling towards combat pretty well:

quote:

Maybe the Soulsborne format just isn't the best fit for Star Wars. In order to provide challenge, enemies have to be struck several times - and this has the effect of making lightsabers feel underpowered. Perhaps it makes sense when Cal is at the beginning of his journey, but even when Cal is at his most powerful, it takes about three slashes to down an overgrown rat. Lightsaber fights also feel less epic with Cal flopping on the floor while you're trying to figure out an enemy's attack pattern. You do get more abilities and skills, and you can increase your HP and force, but Fallen Order never lets you take the gloves off. The reason behind limiting your force meter is to make players engage with the fast-parrying melee combat, as you restore the meter through killing enemies (or hitting blocked ones, if you unlock that perk). The retraversal issue would have been significantly lessened if you could simply rampage through enemies when returning to a planet. What fun it would have been to let loose with Cal's force powers, and a hard-hitting lightsaber.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 15, 2019

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

It's sad that there's no way to fast travel between meditation points. I finally have most of the abilities unlocked but I just don't feel like redoing all the platforming/combat necessary to return to a lot of areas.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sounds like this thing's pretty busted on consoles.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Eej posted:

Yeah I don't know why they let you go to Dathomir first you literally can't get very far and the planet is hard as poo poo.

Really fun to sync kill the lesser whatever at the start though

Well, for one, you can get the dual light sabers from Dathomir before unlocking extra stuff if you’re feeling nutty.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Sounds like this thing's pretty busted on consoles.
played for a few hours last night and didn't experience any performance issues

on a PS4 pro tho

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The day-one patch might have fixed some stuff, the complaints I've heard/seen on Giantbomb sound like a problem with asset streaming as well as general jank.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Haven't bought the game but watched some streaming. Seems pretty decent.

I'd say anyone saying BEST STAR WARS GAME ever is just being sensational over a new release, but it definitely seems worth a play. I'll probably pick it up later when it's on sale or if I get really bored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Chomp8645 posted:

Haven't bought the game but watched some streaming. Seems pretty decent.

I'd say anyone saying BEST STAR WARS GAME ever is just being sensational over a new release, but it definitely seems worth a play. I'll probably pick it up later when it's on sale or if I get really bored.

nah most Star Wars games are just poo poo

Nobody will be replaying this game over and over, and it's not going to set any game design trends, but it's a good game that succeeds within its scope.