Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/laurawags/status/1194727712914587648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
disney is low key one of the most evil companies

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

chunkles posted:

Nothing low key about it baby

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I am in the wrong thread entirely. Don't mind me.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Teddybear posted:

I am in the wrong thread entirely. Don't mind me.

stick to sports

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

R.D. Mangles posted:

stick to sports

Oh no. Do I have to quit posting now? :ohdear:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Teddybear posted:

Oh no. Do I have to quit posting now? :ohdear:

Only if you refuse to affirm the superiority of communism and that Xi Jinping does not look like w****e the p**h b**r

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

chunkles posted:

Disney's sole job now is basically to gobble up IP's, wring as much money as possible out of them, and then cast them off to the side once they're no longer as possible.

One of the best examples of this was probably Tron 2. The company axed development of Tron 3 because, even though Tron 2 did well at the box office according to their projections, the accompanying line of toys and cartoon spinoff didn't make them enough money. So, instead of just maybe just cutting the budget a bit they cut the whole drat movie.

It's amazing to think that in the grand scheme of time it wasn't that long ago (late 80s???) that Disney nearly axed its animation division because of the power of Don Bluth, and their one television channel wasn't on the air all day because there wasn't enough Disney content available to run it 24/7.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 14, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
You dont cast the IP aside, you put it on a shelf for 20-30 years until the nostalgia cycle makes it viable again.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

General Dog posted:

You don’t cast the IP aside, you put it on a shelf for 20-30 years until the nostalgia cycle makes it viable again.

Disney+ is 100% backdoor research into what franchises to reboot

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

General Dog posted:

You dont cast the IP aside, you put it on a shelf for 20-30 years until the nostalgia cycle makes it viable again.
They are apparently stopping theaters from being able to show some older Fox titles like the original Alien, which I don't understand

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
the tron 2 soundtrack is daft punk's best album.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

This man is extremely correct.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Same way that the there will be blood soundtrack is the best Radiohead album

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Crazy Ted posted:

Disney's sole job now is basically to gobble up IP's, wring as much money as possible out of them, and then cast them off to the side once they're no longer as possible.

One of the best examples of this was probably Tron 2. The company axed development of Tron 3 because, even though Tron 2 did well at the box office according to their projections, the accompanying line of toys and cartoon spinoff didn't make them enough money. So, instead of just maybe just cutting the budget a bit they cut the whole drat movie.

It's amazing to think that in the grand scheme of time it wasn't that long ago (late 80s???) that Disney nearly axed its animation division because of the power of Don Bluth, and their one television channel wasn't on the air all day because there wasn't enough Disney content available to run it 24/7.

Disney owned the Tron IP the whole time so I dont know that that one really counts as gobbling up.

Part of what killed Tron as a property is that Disney was eying that as a way of capturing the young/teen male demographic which had traditionally eluded them but then Disney bought Marvel while Tron Legacy was in production (and then later got Star Wars) so you dont really need Tron anymore.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
let's give it up for michael eisner woooooooo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

Ankles are basically the 2nd easiest thing to gently caress up in amazingly simple ways, just behind knees.

Bit delayed, but are you speaking from experience here? :v:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

They are apparently stopping theaters from being able to show some older Fox titles like the original Alien, which I don't understand

Its extremely bullshit cause my local go to theatre isn't allowed to show Die Hard anymore and its a Christmas tradition.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Tron 2 was only green lit to have Daft Punk do the soundtrack, change my mind.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Bit delayed, but are you speaking from experience here? :v:

MIGHT BE

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Its extremely bullshit cause my local go to theatre isn't allowed to show Die Hard anymore and its a Christmas tradition.
Pretty sure them doing that is a war crime

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

chunkles posted:

Spy had a perfect name for it: The Holy Rodent Empire

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Diana Moskovitz was on the Burn It All Down podcast.

E: Roth also on the Infinite Inning if you need more Deadspin postmortems.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 14, 2019

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Accidentally went to Deadspin this morning and they haven't put up a new post since the 4th lmao

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

seiferguy posted:

Accidentally went to Deadspin this morning and they haven't put up a new post since the 4th lmao

maidment resigned on the 5th so i think they literally have no one on staff who can write

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
LOL, would love to see their ad metrics.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

seiferguy posted:

hahahahaha

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

seiferguy posted:

I still do this at least twice a day. I have Kellen Winslow Jr's face seared into my brain at this point

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
the thing about tron legacy as a movie is that it's dumb and the color scheme is extremely, EXTREMELY overdone, but it's presented so well it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllmost doesn't matter.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The fact that people are still accidentally going to Deadspin when their fingers forget that it's dead is going to convince G/O that they don't actually need to have any new content and really should just fire all of their writers and set up a bot to update the dates on the stories so they look new. Sure, you lose most of your traffic, but you have basically no overhead AND you've crushed a union which will help you get more employment from other rich people later!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

today seems like a good day for stuff

https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1195334101655543813

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/1195335506084745221

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Yeah last night would have been perfect deadspin material :(

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I keep forgetting the same company owns both ESPN and Star Wars. I didn't think white suburbanites could become even more enthralled to Disney than they already were, but lo and behold Adam Schefter has the scoop that Folks, Lives Will Be Changed,

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DildenAnders posted:

I keep forgetting the same company owns both ESPN and Star Wars. I didn't think white suburbanites could become even more enthralled to Disney than they already were, but lo and behold Adam Schefter has the scoop that Folks, Lives Will Be Changed,
And this week has been sent seeing many people who want to fight tooth and nail against Megacorporations go AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DISNEY STREAMING TAKE ALL OF MY MONEY YAYAYAYAYAYAYAAYAYAYAYYYY

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Crazy Ted posted:

And this week has been sent seeing many people who want to fight tooth and nail against Megacorporations go AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DISNEY STREAMING TAKE ALL OF MY MONEY YAYAYAYAYAYAYAAYAYAYAYYYY

We are all, ultimately, baby. We just want the keys jangled in front of us to br inexpensive and convenient

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i swear we were more vocally opposed to disneyfication in the 90's than now

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Crazy Ted posted:

There is stuff that Disney owns that I very much enjoy, and would like to rewatch.

If Disney was forced to sell their poo poo off right now and get broken up and destroyed or whatever I would not shed a tear.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Vertical Lime posted:

i swear we were more vocally opposed to disneyfication in the 90's than now

There were competing companies able to monetize it. now that consumerism has devoured even the counter-culture completely, there's no profit to be made in pretending we're not all part of the horde.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Dexo posted:

There is stuff that Disney owns that I very much enjoy, and would like to rewatch.

If Disney was forced to sell their poo poo off right now and get broken up and destroyed or whatever I would not shed a tear.

Quick, tell Peter Thiel Disney made fun of him!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DildenAnders posted:

Quick, tell Peter Thiel Disney made fun of him!

Disney would poo poo on Peter's money lol