Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

An Apple A Gay posted:

What star wars books should I check out if I liked this space cowboy show

One of the old Tales books has a story about Boba Fett vs. an entire imperial garrison, that's a really fun one though it's more of a short story. Zahn's book Scoundrels is more of a heist setup, but there's some of that same vibe to it as the show so far.

I've read a lot of SW books but not many have this same kind of vibe to them, at least not spread across the entire book. Any of the squadron books are fun choices. I can't remember a SW book I outright disliked, so my advice is to just dive in to them. I mostly read what's now Legends/EU content, but it's always been a fun ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I hope they don't milk a tease of his handsome face underneath or whatever, I don't want this to turn into Goblin Slayer in Space.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

best EU books are the rogue/wraith squadron books and even then they’re cheesy as hell

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Weedle posted:

I mean, a story can be told in more than one way. I just wish Disney and the people they hire were willing to do that. Star Wars is a big enough tent that I think they could stand to experiment a little without having to worry about wrecking the whole franchise, but it feels like Disney knows exactly what everybody expects from things called Star Wars and gives us exactly that and no more. The only thing in the Mandalorian so far that's surprised me is Werner Herzog, and it's no coincidence that his scene was by far my favorite in the first episode.

Did you like The Last Jedi?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Best Star Wars thing in ages. Keep Jedi and lightsabers far away from this.

Clint westerns are my favorite of the genre, and this was very evocative. I wouldn't mind if they kept the dialogue sparse and make it Samurai Jack. Very excited to see where this goes.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I agree the episode was structured like a video game, namely some MMO. Mandalorian is a low level solo player grinding easy solo missions. Then he tries to take on a more difficult mission but it's too difficult for him to do solo so he teams up with other players (space Nick Nolte and IG). There's the quest giver (Carl Weathers) and a Mandalorian guild with other players from his class where the protagonist gets his armor upgrade. It reminded me of playing Star Wars Galaxies.

Disregarding the video game analogy, the Mandalorian guild scene was weird. There's a bunch of Mandalorians hanging out in a house on a lovely backwater planet so they probably aren't very rare, yet Space Nick Nolte meets a Mandalorian for the first time, even though he lives near a bounty hunter hotspot (the compound). That is explainable, but it seems as if the show was trying to make the Mandalorians seem kinda mythological and common at the same time.

It also appears that they are really going for the idea that Mandalorians never take off their helmets (I think there were even Mandalorian children with helmets on in the guild house), yet Jango Fett and the Mandalorians in the animated series took their helmets off all the time. I personaly find the concept of Mandalorians not taking their helmets off pretty stupid and it seems they are again trying to distance themselves from the prequels and the related material, which is disappointing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Episode 2 is already amazing: Ugnaught: EGG! EGG! EGG! EGG! Jawas *pounding sandcrawler*: EGG! EGG! EGG! EGG! Baby Yoda: Egg! Egg! Egg! Egg!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Jerkface posted:

Episode 2 is already amazing: Ugnaught: EGG! EGG! EGG! EGG! Jawas *pounding sandcrawler*: EGG! EGG! EGG! EGG! Baby Yoda: Egg! Egg! Egg! Egg!

Is it up anywhere other than the mobile app? There's no way in hell I'm watching on my "loving telephone"

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Pops Mgee posted:

Is it up anywhere other than the mobile app? There's no way in hell I'm watching on my "loving telephone"

I am watching it on the webpage. This episode is really great. Its weird & surprising.

Who would win a fight: 1 Mandalorian or 50 utunni bois

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 15, 2019

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
If God doesn't let me have a goddamn baby yoda I will burn this motherfucker to the ground

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

These jawas traded basically half a star ship for a fucken egg, bro, they're lovin this poo poo. theyre slurpin it up, its makign them go wild, all they care about is egg. and now its all I care about

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Knight2m posted:

Did you like The Last Jedi?

I didn’t love some of the narrative decisions but overall I thought it was pretty cool and creative with good casting and very memorable set-pieces. The red salt or sand or whatever on that one planet was a stroke of aesthetic genius.

Jerkface posted:

These jawas traded basically half a star ship for a fucken egg, bro, they're lovin this poo poo. theyre slurpin it up, its makign them go wild, all they care about is egg. and now its all I care about

Ok I’m sold.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
We already have very episodes, I feel like Episode 2 was just a waste of time to establish that Baby Yodas are strong with the Force?

Like we didn't already suspect that? I didn't hate the episode but are we not supposed to learn more about the plots/characters other than Jawas really love furry egg yolk?

This belongs in something like Short Treks. Oh well, only 6 episodes left. Tune in next week to learn that Carl Weathers won't talk to the main character unless he gets him the bath water of a hot Twi'Lek.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

SyRauk posted:

We already have very episodes, I feel like Episode 2 was just a waste of time to establish that Baby Yodas are strong with the Force?

Like we didn't already suspect that? I didn't hate the episode but are we not supposed to learn more about the plots/characters other than Jawas really love furry egg yolk?

This belongs in something like Short Treks. Oh well, only 6 episodes left. Tune in next week to learn that Carl Weathers won't talk to the main character unless he gets him the bath water of a hot Twi'Lek.

You dare doubt Lucas' vision?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SyRauk posted:

You put a ration pack in there with that bath water, you got yourself a stew going.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A 180 turn from the first episode, who'd have thought the dave filoni directed episode was dark and violent while the followup felt like a kids show of which he has many years of experience with.

A fun episode, not what I expected it would be.

Edit: And it turns out the desert planet is called Arvala-7, which is not mentioned in the show at all because there are no name cards for locations. It is mentioned on the starwars.com databank.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 15, 2019

Space Panda
Nov 15, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also we have pretty much established this is a 30 min per episode show now. Not that that is inherently bad but I think most were expecting an hour per episode.

More video game plotting. (Get egg quest item to repair ship).

All that being said it was a really fun episode. Loved the Jawas, loved baby Yoda. It’s just apparent this is a fun adventure show for kids and not dark gritty Star Wars that the trailer implied. But this is really good fun Star Wars all the same.

Just imagine though in this episode if we had cut back to Werner Herzog and the imperials and got hints of what they are planning. That’s what I mean by a B plot. Something to fill out the episode foreshadow and let us speculate a bit. Also make the show seem bigger.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Space Panda posted:

More video game plotting. (Get egg quest item to repair ship).

I really don’t get this criticism. Like...that’s just plotting. Someone having to get something to achieve a goal has existed as a motivating factor in stories for thousands of years before video games were a thing. The Argonauts’ quest for the Golden Fleece is nothing but a fetch quest, after all.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

This episode was delightful, just good honest spaceman fun.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Egg!

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Egg! Egg! Egg!

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Episode 2 is Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in Peril except the cart hovers

I thought it was excellent and straight up better than the pilot in every way. It's making me like star wars again.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

On the one hand, when there's only 8 episodes it feels like a bit of a waste to just muck about with Jawas for one of them with very little "story" advancement.

On the other hand, shut up nerd, that was fun space western poo poo which is what I'm here for.

Chapter 2: The Mandalorian has to deal with some bullshit.

Egg!

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I'm loving this so far, more than any movie since the original trilogy. My only real nitpick is Episode 1: "you require a mount to get through this area". Episode 2 *walks out*

edit: what the hell is his knife made out of for that insta kill

Pez fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Nov 15, 2019

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I am convinced that someone on the crew of this show played Super Star Wars a bunch.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The egg contains a molly like euphoric and TM is walking away from a jawa rave orgy.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Interesting run time. Wonder if that is a side effect of Favreau not writing for tv before, or instead him plotting out the story like an actual book, hence the episode titles. So each episode ends up being as long as it needs to be. This episode had a title as well, was chapter one given a title anywhere, maybe something like “The Job”?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pez posted:

edit: what the hell is his knife made out of for that insta kill

I remember something about Mandos using Vibro-blades that cause enormous amounts of damage so I'm assuming it's one of those, or maybe it has a fast-acting neurotoxin or something on it?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I remember something about Mandos using Vibro-blades that cause enormous amounts of damage so I'm assuming it's one of those, or maybe it has a fast-acting neurotoxin or something on it?

Vibro weapons have been Star Wars lore for decades; so cool to finally see one on screen. (The trandoshans had them too)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Teek posted:

Interesting run time. Wonder if that is a side effect of Favreau not writing for tv before, or instead him plotting out the story like an actual book, hence the episode titles. So each episode ends up being as long as it needs to be. This episode had a title as well, was chapter one given a title anywhere, maybe something like “The Job”?

I am a tremendous fan of serialized television being "as long as it needs to be" by the Episode or by the season. I respect the Beeb for saying "This season of Luther needs 4 episodes to tell its story, and that's okay."

The "meant to be binged" pacing of Netflix original series is just trash IMO.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Some sketches filoni did of the mando:

Teek posted:

I reckon its just a throwback to old western tv shows. Just without doing corny headshots of the main characters as the intro credits roll.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

On the one hand, when there's only 8 episodes it feels like a bit of a waste to just muck about with Jawas for one of them with very little "story" advancement.

To be fair, at this point we don’t know how much story needs telling. It could be a series of loosely connected vignettes in the style of Samurai Jack until the season finale wraps things up. Honestly, more than anything, that’s kind of what this show reminds me of so far.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Or maybe he just correctly-deduced where to stab the ram-like beast

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cross-Section posted:

Or maybe he just correctly-deduced where to stab the ram-like beast

"Whew. Good thing they keep their brains on the left side of their necks."

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I really don’t get this criticism. Like...that’s just plotting. Someone having to get something to achieve a goal has existed as a motivating factor in stories for thousands of years before video games were a thing. The Argonauts’ quest for the Golden Fleece is nothing but a fetch quest, after all.

I just think they should aim a little higher than the narrative pattern of “MMO quest line” or “2500-year-old myth.” Nothing wrong with ancient myths, but storytelling has evolved a lot since then.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Weedle posted:

I just think they should aim a little higher than the narrative pattern of “MMO quest line” or “2500-year-old myth.” Nothing wrong with ancient myths, but storytelling has evolved a lot since then.

....have you, uh, ever seen a Star Wars before?

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I enjoy how exasperated and constantly sick of the bullshit our hero was in this episode.

Noirex fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 15, 2019

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
TM finally making it to the top of the sandcrawler and then immediately getting blasted off again when he drew his own blaster was brilliant. Jawas are such assholes

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

"Whew. Good thing they keep their brains on the left side of their necks."

See, I thought he stabbed a pulmonary artery or something of that manner, but on reflection, there was suspiciously little blood for such a stab.

But then again, Disney censors, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So how many desert planets are Jawas riding around Sandcrawlers on? I kind of thought this meant we were on Tatooine, but I guess someone here found out that it's a different planet?

Please note, I am not trying to bring up the stupid Jakkooine argument of the other thread. It's more of an interesting insight into Jawas. They travel through space specifically looking for poo poo hole desert planets to scavenge?