Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe
They also do it to keep from people directly applying to position and cutting them out of the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Twat Waffle posted:

They also do it to keep from people directly applying to position and cutting them out of the process.

I haven't ever had a recruiter keep the client confidential to the point I didn't know who they were before my interview. That is totally unreasonable and has to be uncommon.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That would be unreasonable - you need to know if it's the sort of place you want to work for, have a chance to ask around to see if they're any good, get an idea of what they are working on etc. A list of skills requirements can't cover that.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

I haven't ever had a recruiter keep the client confidential to the point I didn't know who they were before my interview. That is totally unreasonable and has to be uncommon.

I agree. The way I read it is that he was waiting for an initial call from the recruiter, not he was doing his first interview with the company.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Yep, initial call. I would have expected to find out who the actual employer was, had I not been ghosted. Oh well.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Wait a minute. I thought it was only shifty millennial snowflakes who ghosted, certainly not the hardworking and underappreciated job providers? :monocle:

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

Pissing me off: Email guy saying his stuff is all working when there are now at least 50 reports of users all having the same credentialing issue in Outlook.

It may turn out to be that all the email backend is fine, but at least loving help everyone out and check your poo poo without bitching and making people prove its your systems.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

fist4jesus posted:

Where I work had an office close a few years back.
Managers brought us a bunch of tv screens. Mounted them to a wall and put completely useless data on them.

Time passes. Three more added.

They crash occasionally. Don't always update and when they do are completely useless, like a list of ticket numbers that cant be read at a distance anyway.
We are up to 10 screens now running 24/7, zero use or utility apart from making us look like a poser command center.

Most recently they paid a bunch of money to move a very big digital whiteboard, wall mount it.
What for? No one knows. Its ok though, they paid about a thousand dollars to get it installed only to find it doesn't work. No licence for the end of life embedded xp that makes the whiteboard function actually work.
Test it before nah? That would make sense.

Did I mention that they had to take a working analog whiteboard down to make room for it?

My last gig had 3 large screens doing about the same amount of useful things. They each ran off their own pi and displayed a Grafana dashboard.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Oh good, apparently I've been flagged for high amounts of absence and had to have an informal meeting about it today.

I mean the meeting was friendly enough but I did say I work (hands on) in an environment full of smelly dirty game nerds, so it's pretty inevitable I'm going to be slammed with cold/flu all the time which I really really hate.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm fortunate enough to be in a job where I don't get hassled about sick time (and where I don't get sick all the time), but my first job out of college was at a call center that was 100% hotdesking. Of course everyone got sick all the time and if you were absent too much you were fired.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Bomgar support still trash after being bought by beyondtrust. Is already awful that you can no longer get a support person on the phone when you call and they will only give you a call back when they feel like it.

Me: What's your estimated time for a callback?
BT: Whenever a support engineer becomes available
Me: Alright, what's your SLA for tier-2 tickets?
BT: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

pissing me off: nvidia selling gpu's with no onboard fans

(three tesla t4's)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

DMARC Analyzer has been bought by Mimecast, so I can't wait for it to turn into a product that you have to watch a webinar to get a price on, is billed based on the size of your company, requires subscribing to a load of other poo poo that you don't want, and is bad.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

DMARC Analyzer has been bought by Mimecast, so I can't wait for it to turn into a product that you have to watch a webinar to get a price on, is billed based on the size of your company, requires subscribing to a load of other poo poo that you don't want, and is bad.

My favorite sales strategy ever. Sign me up!

after I watch the webinar, of course

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Microsoft put DMARC analysis into the Office 365 compliance centre challenge

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
The more I work with business logic the more I realise how bad I actually am at making it and remembering it, not to mention the fact that I despise it and would much rather spend my time on framework and architecture.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Yesterday at about 4:45 I asked the Helpdesk "Team Lead" to let me know if the temporary print server from 6 months ago was still in use. I asked this because he's the guy running the printer replacement program, so I figure he'll know. He says "Yeah, there's only two working printers left on there" so I figure cool, I'll deal with that tomorrow.

Get in this morning and no one can print. Surprise! Dingus went through last night and deleted all the printers on the server. No reason.

Thankfully we have a VM level backup and I fixed it but seriously why. Why?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What is it with people. We're trying to put a plan together for how to carry on with cutting up wood if there's a fault which means the network between the machines programming the wood cutting, and the machine doing the wood cutting were to fail. So far we have a fairly sensible suggestion in place involving ensuring that the file share is cached locally and then maybe transferring files between the operator's PC and the actual machine via a USB stick. All good so far, until the head of the department gets involved and just declares that it's not possible to do anything without the network, none of this plan is going to work.

Motherfucker, we are trying to help you. In an ideal world nothing would ever fail, but sometimes it does. This is us trying to prepare for that scenario, please try and be constructive.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sound's like he's mad that his plan for an impromptu day off by loving the network is being ruined.

Scenario question:

A group of employees need their Linux passwords reset across multiple boxes, none of which we have direct ssh access to. Normally we use a bash script that has us choose the user name, server name, then enter the password twice. How do I get it done faster for multiple users/boxes? I can't use chpasswd remotely as far as I can tell.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a reason you can't use a directory

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Because I'm just a lowly tech, the kind that would be told to manually reset 108 passwords and have to do it. :shrug:

E: forgot to say I can run stuff with sudo, but can't elevate the whole bash session.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 15, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Since Google's being dicks in all sorts of manners lately, the Youtube emoji autoban thing made me consider to move the very least my email accounts (with custom domain) over to Outlook.com, with what having an Office 365 subscription. Turns out these assholes over at Microsoft only offer integration with GoDaddy, and anyone wanting to manage this on their own with their own registrar can go gently caress off.

Nevermind that they don't allow email aliases. (The gently caress?!)

I loving hate what consumer IT has become. There's always some loving catch.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

O365 custom domains and email aliases are standard features, I’m not sure what your problem is.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

Combat Pretzel posted:

Since Google's being dicks in all sorts of manners lately, the Youtube emoji autoban thing made me consider to move the very least my email accounts (with custom domain) over to Outlook.com, with what having an Office 365 subscription. Turns out these assholes over at Microsoft only offer integration with GoDaddy, and anyone wanting to manage this on their own with their own registrar can go gently caress off.

Nevermind that they don't allow email aliases. (The gently caress?!)

I loving hate what consumer IT has become. There's always some loving catch.

Are you paying for an O365 license (that includes email)? Because you can use that with any registrar and you can use email aliases.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

The Fool posted:

O365 custom domains and email aliases are standard features, I’m not sure what your problem is.

He is paying for office 365, he is using the free outlook.com. I think that is the issue.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Because I'm just a lowly tech, the kind that would be told to manually reset 108 passwords and have to do it. :shrug:

E: forgot to say I can run stuff with sudo, but can't elevate the whole bash session.

If the systems are all uniformly configured, Ansible might be able to do this with only entering the password twice.

https://www.redpill-linpro.com/sysadvent/2017/12/02/ansible-change-passwords.html

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Sickening posted:

He is paying for office 365, he is using the free outlook.com. I think that is the issue.
Office 365 Personal, which has Outlook Premium for one account, and allows for a custom e-mail domain, so long you have it at GoDaddy. If I want to do my own thing, I'd need to go with Business Premium, which doubles the yearly price. Which sucks. God forbid, there's power user options on the subscription for normal people.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mllaneza posted:

If the systems are all uniformly configured, Ansible might be able to do this with only entering the password twice.

https://www.redpill-linpro.com/sysadvent/2017/12/02/ansible-change-passwords.html

Man that's an unfortunate company name.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can't sign into our VBA/Access computar system. Boss isn't here to fix it. Told him about this two days ago.

I'm starting to clone it in a python-based web app

So I can't work today. Toot toot.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
The unholy cocktail that is Python/Lambda/IAM/S3.

All I wanted was a pepsi to sit down and create my first Python Lambda function. It curls a file from an API and dumps it in an S3 bucket which triggers another function that renames it with a timestamp.

Twelve hours later I’m still fighting it so I dump python for a Node.js script that I googled and it worked.

Admittedly this was a project to teach me lambda and python at the same time so PEBKAC I’m sure, but drat python has me ready to launch something heavy and satisfying through my office window.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Agrikk posted:

The unholy cocktail that is Python/Lambda/IAM/S3.

All I wanted was a pepsi to sit down and create my first Python Lambda function. It curls a file from an API and dumps it in an S3 bucket which triggers another function that renames it with a timestamp.

Twelve hours later I’m still fighting it so I dump python for a Node.js script that I googled and it worked.

Admittedly this was a project to teach me lambda and python at the same time so PEBKAC I’m sure, but drat python has me ready to launch something heavy and satisfying through my office window.

Surprisingly not far from my experience with Python time to time. Much like php, giving a scripting language too much leg power seems to have quite the effect.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My general experience with python is that as soon as you start installing a shopping list of modules off pypi, the project is hosed for life.

If you stick to native modules it's pretty pleasant to work with. But I could be biased because it's been my scripting language of choice for a long, long time so it really has no surprises left to trip me up.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Some of the modules really suck. It’s not for everything.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I agree with xzzy actually. Native Python isn't so bad and is quite nice. Stapling every library ever to a project is when it gets out of hand. If I need that much power in my Python I usually ask myself why I'm not using C#, but then I really need to ask why the hell a developer isn't doing whatever it is I'm doing.

That being said I have done some things with PowerShell that had no business being a script (it's just so easy to call .NET).

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Can't sign into our VBA/Access computar system. Boss isn't here to fix it. Told him about this two days ago.

I'm starting to clone it in a python-based web app

So I can't work today. Toot toot.

This triggered me. Our MES frontend is Access and I have dreams of sometimes converting it into a python web app, and then I wake up in a cold sweat.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

bobmarleysghost posted:

This triggered me. Our MES frontend is Access and I have dreams of sometimes converting it into a python web app, and then I wake up in a cold sweat.

I am pretty sure most of my nightmares contains access.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I just spent 4 hours cleaning up a co-workers bungled sccm deployment, even though I told him how to do it and then checked on it yesterday and told him it wasn't working. Fucker sent out an email to the guy who requested the deployment that it wasn't working but that it wasn't really his job to do it anyway and blamed it on me.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Now I know learning SCCM is a big undertaking, but it sounds like this guy isn't even trying.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Now I know learning SCCM is a big undertaking, but it sounds like this guy isn't even trying.

Yeah, an SCCM fuckup should be way more serious than 4 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

My general experience with python is that as soon as you start installing a shopping list of modules off pypi, the project is hosed for life.

If you stick to native modules it's pretty pleasant to work with. But I could be biased because it's been my scripting language of choice for a long, long time so it really has no surprises left to trip me up.

Just use a venv and a docker/podman container. That’s literally what they are there for.