Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ArfJason posted:

Holy poo poo like 20 pages of this thread and its the most violently brain damaged idiots who have never posted here before suddenly being Very Concerned about bolivia. Its a beautiful allegory how the latinamerica thread turns to complete dogshit whenever theres yankee intervention. Gringos gently caress off already

Thats pretty uncalled for, dude

This is the kind of poo poo that killed the Venezuela thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ArfJason posted:

Holy poo poo like 20 pages of this thread and its the most violently brain damaged idiots who have never posted here before suddenly being Very Concerned about bolivia. Its a beautiful allegory how the latinamerica thread turns to complete dogshit whenever theres yankee intervention. Gringos gently caress off already

what is wrong with what they're saying about bolivia?

TIN0
Oct 17, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looking for less bias Venezuela news (in English) in video playlist form or podcast feed I can subscribe to. Al Jazeera has a youtube playlist but it gets one short clip every month.

Wobbuffet
Nov 11, 2019

Morir antes que esclavos vivir!
The new president is pretty terrible. Thank goodness she's calling for elections soon.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wobbuffet posted:

The new president is pretty terrible. Thank goodness she's calling for elections soon.

Lol, you are hilariously naive. Also your Senate just renounced your new "president."

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

Wobbuffet posted:

:ironicat:

Thank goodness it will be free and fair elections, with candidates from all political parties allowed to run according to the established laws and constitution. And thank goodness no one already announced that instead of having to pack courts with evil (elected) crony justices they can just annul court decisions outright (Morales will be banned), and decree that people won't be allowed to run without any legal justification (his VP will also be banned, and who knows who else)!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Lol, you are hilariously naive. Also your Senate just renounced your new "president."

Naivety has nothing to do with this

Edit for hilarity, the best take:

https://twitter.com/SOSBOLIVIA2019/status/1195323971077582848

Spice World War II fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 15, 2019

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/NoHoldsStarBard/status/1194399774381871104?s=19 https://twitter.com/CANCEL_SAM/status/1194065889072730123?s=19

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I wonder if the Bolivian military can really control the country on its own at this point as well. The Bolivian military is around 35,000, many of them not in combat roles. The heaviest equipment the Bolivian ground force has is 54 cold-war vintage light tanks, many of them probably not working.

In that context, the current standoff in La Paz makes sense. The military and the coup plotters make be able to hold strategic points but may struggle to do much else unless they want a civil war.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 15, 2019

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
The Lithium stuff is stupid, no one involved needed Elon Musk and his Gigafactories to want Morales gone, and this didn't start eight days ago. Also, the German Gigafactory will just be like Foxconn, Wisconsin anyway. Politicians falling all over themselves to hand over public money with nothing to show for in 5 years

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Wobbuffet posted:

remember back when you pretended the reason you backed a fascist coup was that you were worried Morales might be an authoritarian

those were good times

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Condiv posted:

what is wrong with what they're saying about bolivia?

lol if you take that dipshit seriously
wobbuffet is back, still dreaming of a free and fair election with the theocratic racist fascists in charge

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ArfJason posted:

as long as they get pilled on the great satan's work here i dont mind

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wobbuffet posted:

Hey buddy, what is your opinion on the fascist death squads roaming the streets assaulting indigenous people? Or that the cops literally blocked MAS lawmakers from entering parliament despite MAS being the literal majority party? Doesn't seem much like a restoration of democracy to me, more like a fascist takeover.

Wobbuffet
Nov 11, 2019

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

remember back when you pretended the reason you backed a fascist coup was that you were worried Morales might be an authoritarian

those were good times

I didn't 'pretend', Evo's authoritarianism is one of the biggest reasons as to why I, and many other people, dislike him. I still stand by my statement that this was not a coup.

My reasons for saying Añez is terrible aren't because I think she is power-hungry herself. She is a racist (I can link to deleted tweets), ultra-religious, pro-lifer.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
her handlers that are going to "win" the "election" are even further right

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I would say, a military taken over to a install self-proclaimed president against the will of the population shows more “authoritarian tendencies” than working around term limits.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wobbuffet posted:

I didn't 'pretend', Evo's authoritarianism is one of the biggest reasons as to why I, and many other people, dislike him. I still stand by my statement that this was not a coup.

My reasons for saying Añez is terrible aren't because I think she is power-hungry herself. She is a racist (I can link to deleted tweets), ultra-religious, pro-lifer.

Hey buddy, if it's not a coup then why are they blocking members of the legislature from doing their jobs?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

no, you see, every MAS member in the line of succession stepped down of their own accord and weren't coerced into stepping down by any sort of authority

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

Cerebral Bore posted:

Hey buddy, if it's not a coup then why are they blocking members of the legislature from doing their jobs?
They're all power-hungry you see, unlike the people leading the not-coup and blocking them from doing their jobs, who are merely racist ultra-religious pro-lifers.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Wobbuffet posted:

You are truly a garbage human being.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wobbuffet posted:

Hahaha you're such a loving moron

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I prefer the more socially acceptable "Gusana"

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Everyone going "OK this coup is bad but Maduro still deserves to be couped" is on the exact same level as Wobbuffet here

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Bob le Moche posted:

Everyone going "OK this coup is bad but Maduro still deserves to be couped" is on the exact same level as Wobbuffet here

Venezuela is more complex simply because public support is obviously far more split. I wouldn't say the 2019 Venezuelan coup had that much public support either.

Btw, I do think there were some honest economic gently caress-ups in Venezuela, but it takes some work to actually get at what happened with the Venezuelan economy.

Wobbuffet
Nov 11, 2019

Lightning Knight posted:

You are truly a garbage human being.

SyHopeful posted:

I prefer the more socially acceptable "Gusana"

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Nice ad-hominem attacks there. If anything, I think it's pathetic that a lot of posters here can be so pro-Morales without even mentioning his many weak points. In my first post, I mentioned that he has had done things in Bolivia that I approve of...and I say this as someone who deeply dislikes him.

It seems like I'm the only one on this thread who has actually lived in Bolivia under Morales' rule, so it is sad that so many here can just hand-wave my comments away. The situation on the ground is far more complicated than just 'Morales good, opposition bad' that you guys seem to be painting this as.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Wobbuffet posted:

Nice ad-hominem attacks there. If anything, I think it's pathetic that a lot of posters here can be so pro-Morales without even mentioning his many weak points. In my first post, I mentioned that he has had done things in Bolivia that I approve of...and I say this as someone who deeply dislikes him.

It seems like I'm the only one on this thread who has actually lived in Bolivia under Morales' rule, so it is sad that so many here can just hand-wave my comments away. The situation on the ground is far more complicated than just 'Morales good, opposition bad' that you guys seem to be painting this as.

Somehow I have trouble giving any benefit of the doubt to the person who registered just to post about how this is totally not a coup. You post nothing but dogshit and you actively make the world a worse place with your beliefs. You're a piece of poo poo.

Wobbuffet
Nov 11, 2019

Mischievous Mink posted:

Somehow I have trouble giving any benefit of the doubt to the person who registered just to post about how this is totally not a coup. You post nothing but dogshit and you actively make the world a worse place with your beliefs. You're a piece of poo poo.

Oh, so this hatred towards me is because you guys don't believe I'm from Bolivia? If anything, I think you're a pretty horrible human being yourself because you've done nothing but personally attack me ever since I got here. Yes, I did register here with the sole purpose of replying on a thread about a bunch of first-worlders talking about my country. This is a 'Debate and Discussion" thread, no?

Wobbuffet fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 15, 2019

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
gently caress off with this "no coup" wailing, we can smell your bullshit centrist middle class crocodile tears.

Let me guess, no one in your family or social circle lives in indigenous areas.

Also, ask a random brazilian bolsonarista about brazil and his opinion is true because he's brazilian, this is how credibility works, yes

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Wobbuffet posted:

when the hominus in question is saying "i think the fascists promising to purge the indigenous from the cities in the name of Christ aren't ~power-hungry~, so overthrowing a democratically elected government at gunpoint isn't technically a coup" she earns a couple of ad.

Wobbuffet
Nov 11, 2019

bagual posted:

gently caress off with this "no coup" wailing, we can smell your bullshit centrist middle class crocodile tears.

Let me guess, no one in your family or social circle lives in indigenous areas.

Also, ask a random brazilian bolsonarista about brazil and his opinion is true because he's brazilian, this is how credibility works, yes

I'm not centrist nor a right-winger. One can be from the left and still oppose a leftist leader who tried to cling to power for too long. La Paz is my city, and there are plenty of indigenous people here. I fear for my family and friends' lives every day.

Maybe I'll post some videos from the ground and leave this thread. It doesn't seem like a 'debate' forum, more like a circlejerk one.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
let's debate and discuss: are indigenous bolivians ~really~ human beings? for too long, the tyrant Morales has oppressed people, simply for expressing the belief that 'no, they are a cross between monkeys and rats that God commands us to exterminate.'

thank heaven that a free and open exchange of ideas is now occurring, at gunpoint

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Wobbuffet posted:

I'm not centrist nor a right-winger. One can be from the left and still oppose a leftist leader who tried to cling to power for too long. La Paz is my city, and there are plenty of indigenous people here. I fear for my family and friends' lives every day.

Maybe I'll post some videos from the ground and leave this thread. It doesn't seem like a 'debate' forum, more like a circlejerk one.

People from the left don't pick fascists and nazis over, uh, leftists. Are these family and friends the same ones out protesting with the brownshirts? If not it's hosed up that you celebrate the empowering of the people who most directly threaten the innocent, while you can't even call a spade a spade and admit the military has usurped authority and couped the democratically elected president. You could argue a thread where we talk about how lovely Nazi Germany and Hitler's supporters were was a circlejerk with your scumbag crocodile tears, and it'd only look slightly worse.

Wobbuffet
Nov 11, 2019

when the hominus in question is saying "i think the fascists promising to purge the indigenous from the cities in the name of Christ aren't ~power-hungry~, so overthrowing a democratically elected government at gunpoint isn't technically a coup" she earns a couple of ad.

Except Morales did not resign at gunpoint. Show me ONE source that says this happened. Are you not aware that there are many indigenous people who are part of the opposition? Most deaths have been from the opposition. One of them has been an Aymara miner who was from Potosi who got shot as he was making his way to protest in La Paz.

And I think we can all agree that Añez is awful.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Wobbuffet posted:

Except Morales did not resign at gunpoint. Show me ONE source that says this happened.

Here you go, dipshit

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/12/evo-morales-arrives-mexico-bolivia-power-vacuum

quote:

He said that before his resignation on Sunday a member of the army had showed him messages putting a $50,000 price on his head.

Read about your own loving country if you're so concerned.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Wobbuffet posted:

Friends from everywhere, in Bolivia there was NO COUP. There was a peaceful movement of the Bolivian people to recover the respect to our vote, democracy and our constitution, demanding Evo and his criminal government to resign because of the FRAUD committed in the elections

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Wobbuffet posted:

I think you can still be in favor of the coup and recognize it as a coup. It's clear Morales wasn't the best thing in the world ever, but whatever he was, he was unceremoniously coup'd out of the country. And sure, there's a certain percentage of the public that was for this, but it was hardly a democratic overthrow.

I think the average person just hopes this all turns out ok and that they can make it to another day. It has been unfortunately pretty clear, that those desires will only apply to those whom the new regime supports.

At any rate, if you are from the left, I don't know how you can remotely be ok with the new regime, they certainly have no one but their own best interests in mind.

---

I don't keep up enough with French media, but the middle-class milieu of the Parisian suburbs that I work with have been calling it a coup. I've had several students ask me if my family was ok (I'm a 1st generation Yankee of Colombian background), so it was fun to talk to them in English class about what Bolivia is. The Spanish teachers in school have been talking to me and the other Colombian at the school about what's going on.

The fun thing about France is if you're South American then you clearly know everything about the whole continent. They like to do this with Africa too.

let's debate and discuss: are indigenous bolivians ~really~ human beings? for too long, the tyrant Morales has oppressed people, simply for expressing the belief that 'no, they are a cross between monkeys and rats that God commands us to exterminate.'

thank heaven that a free and open exchange of ideas is now occurring, at gunpoint

Actually not knowing much about the indigenous peoples of Bolivia, what are the ethnicities that they fall into and how associated are they with the other peoples of the Andean region?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Wobbuffet posted:

Except Morales did not resign at gunpoint. Show me ONE source that says this happened. Are you not aware that there are many indigenous people who are part of the opposition? Most deaths have been from the opposition. One of them has been an Aymara miner who was from Potosi who got shot as he was making his way to protest in La Paz.

do you remember those delightful pictures of what happened to everyone in the line of succession who committed the tragic crime of being a member of Morales' party

remember those masked soldiers, there to Protect Democracy (tm).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I still remember in NeoGaf when Brazilian posters hated Lula and his friends due to them being too "authoritarian" and "corrupt". When Bolsonaro began rising and was elected they became very quiet. Didn't hear a peep until Lula was released and suddenly they are "very disappointed in their country."

Ardennes posted:

Venezuela is more complex simply because public support is obviously far more split. I wouldn't say the 2019 Venezuelan coup had that much public support either.

Btw, I do think there were some honest economic gently caress-ups in Venezuela, but it takes some work to actually get at what happened with the Venezuelan economy.

To add to that the vast majority of Venezuelans do not like Maduro, and there was far more electoral shenanigans then even the darkest shade people paint Morales. Not comparable at all.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 15, 2019

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

you don't uderstand, what they're looking for is footage of morales resigning while the barrel of a gun is literally pressed into his head by a uniformed member of the military
anything less and it's "ambiguous" or "uncertain"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Wobbuffet posted:

I, too, don't understand what implicational meanings are at play when the army asks the democratically-elected president to resign.