Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm reading the T. Harry Williams biography of Huey Long. It's good, folks. Long apparently read Count of Monte Cristo every year from his boyhood until his time in the Senate because Edmond Dantes "knew how to hate, and until you learn how to hate you'll never get anywhere in this world."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Does anybody know a good book on Christian Zionism?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

just finished the Broken Earth trilogy and it was just fantastic, highly recommended

went straight into her short fiction which it turns out was named after an essay she wrote in devotion to Janelle Monae which I can absolutely understand, it's also good

Hand Knit posted:

Does anybody know a good book on Christian Zionism?

not sure I have much beyond Under the Banner of Heaven, which probably isn't what you have in mind but is good and revealing

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Edward Snowden has an autobio coming soon, might be cool? https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1156920361537200133?s=19

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Does anyone have a good book(s) recommendation for a history of US labor struggle? I know very little about it, and I'd like to educate myself. Particularly about the "and then the pinkertons/army killed a bunch of people" and how it went from that to labor actually winning concessions by the 30s-50s.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Crakkerjakk posted:

and how it went from that to labor actually winning concessions by the 30s-50s.

Ten Days that Shook the World lol

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

GalacticAcid posted:

Ten Days that Shook the World lol

http://ciml.250x.com/archive/comintern/english/1926_armed_insurrection_comintern_manual.pdf

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Crakkerjakk posted:

Does anyone have a good book(s) recommendation for a history of US labor struggle? I know very little about it, and I'd like to educate myself. Particularly about the "and then the pinkertons/army killed a bunch of people" and how it went from that to labor actually winning concessions by the 30s-50s.

A history of The US in ten strikes might not be a bad intro. You can use it as a jumping off point.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Zesty Mordant posted:

A history of The US in ten strikes might not be a bad intro. You can use it as a jumping off point.

Seconding this.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
I just spent my summer reading a bunch of Matt Taibbi books and my blood pressure is like a champagne bottle

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
If anyone really enjoyed "Bad Blood" by John Carreyrou (the tell-all about the insanity at Theranos), Mike Isaac's book about Uber, "Super Pumped," is finally out.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

reading Empire of Illusion by Hedges and starting out by explaining the foibles and prejudices of the time through contemporaneous professional wrestling storylines is a bold, and if I may say so, distressingly accurate and apt strategy

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Verso is giving away the ebook version of Climate Leviathan until Friday. I don't know if it's good or anything https://www.versobooks.com/books/2545-climate-leviathan

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/turing_police/status/1180343193910403080

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Wrong thread?
E: wouldn't be the first time I didn't get a joke

im on the net me boys has issued a correction as of 21:04 on Oct 7, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

(Its a Blindsight joke)

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
can someone recommend a readable book about the russian revolution? something that includes the lead up and aftermath if possible.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Would October by China Mieville qualify? I can't remember how much of the run-up it captures

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

succ posted:

can someone recommend a readable book about the russian revolution? something that includes the lead up and aftermath if possible.

Here's a good overview of a bunch of recent books on the Russian Revolution -- What's Left? by Sheila Fitzpatrick in the LRB.

You might have to make an account to read it but you don't have to subscribe. My sub lapsed and I can read the whole thing.

Truancy-Bot
May 9, 2012

eat a dick, truancy-bot
Anyone have any recs for books on the origins of American intelligence agencies? OSS kinda stuff? Feel like I heard a good rec on a podcast recently but can't remember.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

I'm reading this Ronald Suny book (Red Flag Unfurled) about the historiography of the revolution, it has a lot of information about events before and after but not so much about the time period October covers. I think they'd go well together. Suny spends lots of time dunking on Richard Pipes and discusses in depth what was new about social history and why it made people so drat mad. Fitzpatrick herself also has a book about the revolution that goes all the way through the NEP.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

just finished Eifelheim, which is a wonderful book, as well as being probably the book most brutally disserviced by every attempt to summarize the plot that I have read

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

just finished Eifelheim, which is a wonderful book, as well as being probably the book most brutally disserviced by every attempt to summarize the plot that I have read

Cool, its one of my favorites. Lot of stuff going on but I think my favorite detail is how the space magic universal translators are basically just futuristic Google Translate and keep loving up concepts

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also the crazy Franciscan monk rules

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

just finished " john brown, abolitionist" and it is good

old man brown is my homie

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I’m reading Oklahoma City by gumble and Charles. mostly about the investigation of the bombing, right wing extremists who were associated with mcvey, and how the feds hosed up or straight up didn’t bother investigating further accomplices. good read

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

If you love drama and succ because your brain is broken like mine, the person who wrote the anonymous administration op-ed in NYT is publishing a tell-all. I'm excited to see if it's terrible or just boring and see the #resistance jump on it like it's a holy text.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

im on the net me boys posted:

If you love drama and succ because your brain is broken like mine, the person who wrote the anonymous administration op-ed in NYT is publishing a tell-all. I'm excited to see if it's terrible or just boring and see the #resistance jump on it like it's a holy text.

it'll be like that Michael Wolff book, any good excerpts will be on cable news for a week

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

skaboomizzy posted:

it'll be like that Michael Wolff book, any good excerpts will be on cable news for a week

It isn't the same experience though

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasn’t that editorial meant to make it seem like the republican establishment was in control and blunting Trump’s worst impulses—or to frame someone for doing that. What’s his purpose now?

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Wasn’t that editorial meant to make it seem like the republican establishment was in control and blunting Trump’s worst impulses—or to frame someone for doing that. What’s his purpose now?

It's all the more clear that controlling those impulses isn't working so I guess the aim here is expose some of the things we haven't seen yet to shame him into not acting like he does. It won't work but I'm curious as to what will be reveled and what angle Anonymous is going to take.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm reading Age of Revolution: 1798 - 1848 by Eric Hobsbawm. Highly recommend. Such disciplined prose, briskly written for a general readership with rich insight and a rigorous methodology. Follow the events and effects of industrialization and the French Revolution. He considers the British industrial revolution and the French political revolution as concurrent, sweeping alterations of life in Europe and within its spheres of influence. Can't wait to finish and plow through the other works in his Age series.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I've always wondered what the general lefty take is on Heinlein's Farnham's Freehold. It's definitely got a lot of fashy stuff in it, but when I read it, it definitely have me a pervasive feeling of "this is really what would happen if Just World theory were actually true."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

returning after a couple years to The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson and it really is just one of the most perfect books I've read.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1195328533683429377?s=20

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

actually mother said this pocket protector makes me looks handsome

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Truancy-Bot posted:

Anyone have any recs for books on the origins of American intelligence agencies? OSS kinda stuff? Feel like I heard a good rec on a podcast recently but can't remember.

i know this is late but https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24723229-the-devil-s-chessboard

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Truancy-Bot posted:

Born Losers is actually a book that fits the bill, even if it's not about intelligence. The book is about how language developed from "failure" referring to something which happened to a business to being something that someone is. A lot of this history revolves around the development of the US' first credit rating agency, and the author argues that the way the agency operated made it (A) effectively an intelligence agency and (B) a model for future, more official intelligence agencies.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
thats too much drat readin