Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Patrovsky posted:

I think I have told the story here before of back when I had a budgie who lived in a cage out on the deck next to some large trees. On more than one occasion, a python wrapped itself around the cage, trying to get in to eat that sweet budgie meat. I think I've still got photos somewhere.

My initial reaction to this was horror, not at the snake, but at keeping a budgie on a deck, and then I had to remind myself that the majority of people on earth do not live in climates where it snows from October to April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Halloween Jack posted:

I think that if the bird is obviously still surviving on its own, and doesn't appear to be in pain or dying of infection, just let it be.

Advice to capture an injured bird and take it to a shelter is predicated on the assumption that the bird is too hurt to fly away. It's sad that wild animals have to suffer chronic injuries and keep on going, but that's nature, and it sounds like that little bird is taking care of itself.

Thanks. I guess I knew this already at some level, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't giving up too easily, ya know?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

subpar anachronism posted:

Was... was sparkles okay?

Sparkles lived to a ripe old age and eventually got killed by coyotes. He was buried by my grandfather in their back yard. Sparkles was a grumpy, unpleasant, weird cat that I somehow got along with just fine.

He just kept slapping that snake on the head every time it lunged.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

RoboRodent posted:

My initial reaction to this was horror, not at the snake, but at keeping a budgie on a deck, and then I had to remind myself that the majority of people on earth do not live in climates where it snows from October to April.

This was in Brisbane, where it doesn't get too cold in winter (but he came inside during winter anyway).

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I have a very honest question for the Australian folk in here -

When I lived with my grandparents, it was considered, "In the country" but we weren't too far from civilization. But when we went to gatherings at my great grandparents, that was out in the drat wilderness type country. More than a half hour to the nearest gas station type of wilderness. This was all in Tennessee, a very southern red state in America.

My grandmother wouldn't let us out of the yard unless we had, in her words, "a switch." We were expected to carry around a firm or rigid stick to deal with the semi-feral dogs that ran around in packs. Also, snakes could happen but I never saw any outside of that garage.

What precautions do you take, of any, before going out into the bush? (Or whatever it's called) :derptiel:

With the way Australia sounds, I'd probably feel safer carrying a flame thrower.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

While most things that bite and sting here are venomous, we don't really have a lot of predators big enough to take us on. When it comes to survival in Australia for the wildlife, the biggest concern is more the environment than predators.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

I have a very honest question for the Australian folk in here -

When I lived with my grandparents, it was considered, "In the country" but we weren't too far from civilization. But when we went to gatherings at my great grandparents, that was out in the drat wilderness type country. More than a half hour to the nearest gas station type of wilderness. This was all in Tennessee, a very southern red state in America.

My grandmother wouldn't let us out of the yard unless we had, in her words, "a switch." We were expected to carry around a firm or rigid stick to deal with the semi-feral dogs that ran around in packs. Also, snakes could happen but I never saw any outside of that garage.

What precautions do you take, of any, before going out into the bush? (Or whatever it's called) :derptiel:

With the way Australia sounds, I'd probably feel safer carrying a flame thrower.

Boots and long pants. But things like a hat & sunscreen and water are far more important than clothes to keep snakes away. And just walk smart and dont stand on piles of leaves/litter, avoid ant nests, don't stick your arm in a dark hole, don't hug a kangaroo etc

The town I grew up in is called Tom Price if you want to plug that into Google maps to see how isolated it is. Didn't get flocks of cockatiels up there, but I remember huge flocks of budgies and zebra finches.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Boots, jeans or work pants and socks, along with not sticking your hands in holes or digging in leaves will keep you safe from most critters.

Crocodiles will eat you if you go into a croc infested river because you're an idiot. Sharks will on average not worry about you, especially if you stay on patrolled beaches. Wild dogs including dingoes won't generally bother people in groups and are pretty rare in most places, especially those frequented by tourists. Feral pigs will gently caress you up but again will ignore large groups of humans unless it's nighttime and you've left snacks around the campfire.

My dad has had to frighten off a pack of wild dogs with a warning shot from his gun while wandering around alone with our dog at night, once in the last ~10 years (wandering is usually nightly). Pigs get seen more often, and plenty of evidence of pigs, but we've never had run ins with them yet. Obviously if you go out pig shooting they are more aggressive. Honestly the cows have been more of a threat. My dad likes to say the most deadly animal in Australia is the horse.

You are more likely to kill a cassowary with your car than it is to kill you. Similarly, the main way kangaroos gently caress up most people is by leaping in front of their car in the morning or evening twilight.

As mentioned the environment is more likely to kill you. Getting lost in the bush or the outback without water will kill you, as will the sun and rocks. Most animals will avoid you unless you go out of your way to annoy them.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 15, 2019

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Slightly Off Topic - I present to you the "Screm/Aaaaah!!!" socks for your approval.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I approve. My socks unfortunately perhaps fortunately do not screm.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

Slightly Off Topic - I present to you the "Screm/Aaaaah!!!" socks for your approval.

i <3 your socks !!

Spare-Ohs
Mar 30, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Where on Earth do you get these? My housemate still needs holiday gifts.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sinbad's being a pill while I'm trying to change his papers and it occurs to me that Untitled Parrot Game would be a killer sequel.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Amazon women’s socks are THE BEST.

Edit : Finding them in a size that fits a man with a size thirteen foot is the hard part. I think that's a women's fourteen?

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 16, 2019

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sometimes I mix up my birds when I don't have my glasses on. Anyway I just tried to pick up Ozzy without the warning he needs and I did in fact get bit, and I have no one to blame but myself.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Captain Log posted:

Amazon women’s socks are THE BEST.

Edit : Finding them in a size that fits a man with a size thirteen foot is the hard part. I think that's a women's fourteen?

Probably between 14 and 15 depending on the brand. Before transition (and before online shopping was much of a thing) I had to search for women's 11-12 and these days that's men's 9-10 -- far easier. So I sorta understand your woes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Probably between 14 and 15 depending on the brand. Before transition (and before online shopping was much of a thing) I had to search for women's 11-12 and these days that's men's 9-10 -- far easier. So I sorta understand your woes.

Men’s thirteens are the largest size made before it goes into custom order territory. While they are hard to find, thank god my feet aren’t one size bigger.

But now I have to find size thirteen shoes I can fit my leg braces into. That’s fun.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I just feel like saying I love all you guys and I love all your birbs. :)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I agree with this statement. :derptiel:

I found this picture of Wandy today and it almost made me cry. This was the first week I had her, before I was super comfortable with petting her. She never, ever, ever bit. But it still took me a while to figure that out.

She would walk up to my hand and just plop her head on my thumb. It was her way of asking for a scratch. God, I loved Old Lady Wandy.

When I first went to meet her, a friend was desperately trying to find her a permanent home. As I walked in the front door, she instantly started wolf whistling at me and bumble flew over to my shoulder. Five minutes later, she was on the way home with me.

Miss you, Wandy.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

!!!SOUND!!!
https://i.imgur.com/y3XEvl0.mp4

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I agree with this :unsmith: it's been 3+ years since I had a birb now and this thread is so great to come here and read and see all of yours.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Tendai posted:

I agree with this :unsmith: it's been 3+ years since I had a birb now and this thread is so great to come here and read and see all of yours.

yeah, Cricket will be 4 years old in March....and I love coming here over that time and seeing my online bird family who don't think I am completely nuts :P Its been so nice to actually talk BIRB with you guys and know that you know what I am talking about :3:

I really mean that you know...you guys are more family than my own :)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/RowenaBall/status/1196270357180665856

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I've been looking at things to get Pookie for Christmas and I think I'm going to get a toy making kit (just lots of useful wooden/leather pieces) and a big jar of palm oil for parrots- apparently greys eat a lot of palm nuts in the wild and adding it to her diet should give her some really good nutritional benefits. I'm not exactly flush with cash at the moment so I might end up getting one of my family to give me the things as my christmas present so I can give them to her :D

edit: Ordered!

https://www.northernparrots.com/parrot-palm-nut-fruit-extract-oil-500ml-prod544201/#CommentReviews
https://www.northernparrots.com/parrot-toy-making-parts-value-kit-prod344964/

And they are very kindly being bought directly for her (not me) as a present from the whole family because she's just such a good girl :3:

Pookah fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 18, 2019

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Pookah posted:

I've been looking at things to get Pookie for Christmas and I think I'm going to get a toy making kit (just lots of useful wooden/leather pieces) and a big jar of palm oil for parrots- apparently greys eat a lot of palm nuts in the wild and adding it to her diet should give her some really good nutritional benefits. I'm not exactly flush with cash at the moment so I might end up getting one of my family to give me the things as my christmas present so I can give them to her :D

lol that's what I do... my parents ask me what the grandbirds want for Christmas, and I just regift them from me/Santa :P Nobody knows but me and Santa...and everyone is happy!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
When Serra turned one, I made her a corn bread muffin. She was terrified of it until I took it out of the muffin wrapper.

Toys given to her are normally cause for terror, but her all time favs are green paracord and a green Velcro Apple Watch band.

Birds.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I gotta show you guys this one review of the palm supplement:

I can't stop imagining a stubborn little grey voice just saying 'no' every time the person tries to get them to taste it.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I gave Sera a nibble of Pocky. This may have been a mistake.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

RoboRodent posted:

I recognize that look in her eye.

Its the same look that Trev and Cricket had when I caught them with a bite of Danish Butter Cookie in their beaks today...its the "oh where have you been all my life" look...

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

RoboRodent posted:

that face makes it clear this is NOT a mistake madam :colbert:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

RoboRodent posted:

Serra gets that look when I find mystery ginger snaps in her food dish.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I haven't even bought Pocky in years. I just had a wild craving for strawberry Pocky today. Apparently I should buy it more often! My son likes it a lot!

I offered a bald Pocky end to Ozzy and he seemed to think about it, but he was mostly mad about my hand being closer to him than he likes, so he never tried it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

RoboRodent posted:

I haven't even bought Pocky in years. I just had a wild craving for strawberry Pocky today. Apparently I should buy it more often! My son likes it a lot!

I offered a bald Pocky end to Ozzy and he seemed to think about it, but he was mostly mad about my hand being closer to him than he likes, so he never tried it.

I told my father a few days ago that chocolate really shouldn't be given to a parrot.

I caught him a day later, picking the chocolate chips out of a piece of cookie for Serra. My Dad seemed genuinely offended when I suggested cookies and sweets in general probably aren't the best for her. His response? "But, she is so excited and I took the chocolate out!" :downs:

This bird is so drat spoiled.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
pocky?

pocky!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Whole lotta weeabirds in this thread, looks like :toughguy:.
'
Pocky rules and I regret the day I discovered that 7-11's often carry them :cripes:.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Whole lotta weeabirds in this thread, looks like :toughguy:.
'
Pocky rules and I regret the day I discovered that 7-11's often carry them :cripes:.

I can catch a quick bus to the city and go to a shop that stocks pocky, mochi & various other weeby snacks, and also go to a bottleo where I am on first name basis with the lady who runs it who is a sake educator and hooks me up with all my weeby booze (I am currently smashing back Choya like its going out of style).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

RoboRodent posted:

Lmao you’ve done goofed.

It’s all over. :goshawk:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/phocault/status/1196930606841651201

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So our family had a male cockatiel land on our balcony in Southern CA and we managed to catch and rescue it as they're of course not wild/native. We put up a found notice but we'll probably keep him if no one claims him. I've never owned or would've chosen to own a bird, but we can't turn down a stray that found us and he's kind of grown on our family already (my daughter was reading him a book and showing him pictures and it seemed like he was actually listening, watching, and calming down. It was freaking adorable). So I uh... have a few questions.

1) We have him in a cat carrier now as that's all we had. It's a top-opener so it's fairly open with a cage on top. We have a pie tin with outdoor bird feed, a plastic Tupperware container with water, and a cloth laundry sack in there on the bottom that we used to capture him. Is there anything else he'd need for the next 24-48 hours? Will he be ok to hang out in there for that long? We'll buy a cage if no one claims him soon but I don't want to drop a bunch of money on a cage/accessories if he's not staying with us.

2) What kind/size cage should we get? We have a small dog and two cats so we'd need something to keep him safe and away from them. I'm totally out of my depth so suggestions are appreciated.

3) This is a general "Omg help" question. WTF else should I do to take care of a bird? Do you line the bottom of the cage? Any recommended toys, accessories, do's and don't's? Is there anything we should worry about since he was outdoors? What else should I know and expect as someone who has 0 experience with taking care of a bird?

Thanks for any help!

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Immediate recommendation: read the OP.

e: Also good luck! I'd give more advice but I have a dog.