Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Disney purposely added Maclunkey to distract people from the rumors that Rise of the Skywalker apparently sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What a rumour! Wow, something might be bad.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Polo-Rican posted:

Disney purposely added Maclunkey to distract people from the rumors that Rise of the Skywalker apparently sucks rear end

i mean thats pretty apparent from the trailer so idk how much utility it has as a distraction

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Or to drum up hype for RoS :tinfoil:

(This post was bought to you by Maclunkey Gang)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Needo the Greedo

Gimme the Maclunkey

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Polo-Rican posted:

Spoilers: it was never going to be good

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Polo-Rican posted:

It's a plot hint actually. Maclunkey (Matt Smith) is going to be behind Snoke AND Palpatine. His dastardly plot to not come to Greedo's aid is what set everything in motion.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

What a rumour! Wow, something might be bad.
No, the rumor is that it's definitely bad! Very different.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You can't say it's bad until they decide on an ending, and presumably they won't until mid december. Checkmate haters

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

No Mods No Masters posted:

You can't say it's bad until they decide on an ending, and presumably they won't until mid december. Checkmate haters

I'm presuming they just won't decide at all.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
At the end of the movie, Rey hands force ghost Luke the film reel that contains the answers to all the unresolved plot lines (which is all of them) and he shrugs and tosses it over his shoulder. Roll credits.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Papercut posted:

At the end of the movie, Rey hands force ghost Luke the film reel that contains the answers to all the unresolved plot lines (which is all of them) and he shrugs and tosses it over his shoulder. Roll credits.

Palps launches out of the ocean and catches it in his mouth.

Clean Your Teeth
Jul 10, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Palps launches out of the ocean and catches it in his mouth.

The force ghost of Qui Gon appears, turns to the cameras and states:

"There's always a bigger fish"

Fin

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

These movies get better and better as time goes on

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Disney thinks that you need to rehash the original trilogy to get people to like their Star Wars movies, but Maclunkey shows that all they really needed was an alien saying something silly in a funny voice.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Star Wars: Everyone Is Voiced By Jar Jar Binks

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

pospysyl posted:

Disney thinks that you need to rehash the original trilogy to get people to like their Star Wars movies, but Maclunkey shows that all they really needed was an alien saying something silly in a funny voice.

As viral marketing campaigns go it's not a bad effort.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's been confirmed that FN was originally captured by a bunch of those background Stormtroopers at the end of the Phasma swordfight scene. FN convinces the Stormtroopers to rise up against Phasma, so she kills them and continues the duel.

Since that part was changed, it's likely that they decided to digitally erase the Stormtroopers and/or recut the scene so that they don't appear at all.

Johnson had filmed multiple scenes in which the Stormtroopers are humanized, but they were all cut.

I don't know why any of that was cut. All of that was good stuff. In my brain, I think of those scenes as being part of the movie because they fit so well.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

In TFA times I was pretty sure that Finn was going to end up recruiting scores of turncoat stormtroopers in the third film Aragorn/army of the dead style but lol now

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ingmar terdman posted:

In TFA times I was pretty sure that Finn was going to end up recruiting scores of turncoat stormtroopers in the third film Aragorn/army of the dead style but lol now

This would have been cool too. Even more so if he was just a regular dude wielding a lightsaber leading them.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The howl that obi-wan makes to scare off the tuskan raiders is so loving funny. I'm laughing thinking about that. And maclunkey.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I remember there was a time before TFA was released where they revealed that john boyega’s character was gonna be a storm trooper who defects and I was like hey that’s pretty cool there’s lots of interesting things they could do with that. well anyway they didn’t do any of those things

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It’s doubly dull because not only is he the only ever defector but no one gives a poo poo.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

well except for the real hero of the story TR8R. RIP king

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Usually fans saying what they thought should have happened in a thing yields just garbage fanfic but Disney Star Wars is a funny case where it seems like asking a random poster in this thread to come up with ideas would have produced something more interesting than the ST.

Edit: like Finn leading turncoat stormtroopers while wielding a lightsaber etc, is already a much cooler idea and image than Maz, Rathtars, broom kid etc

nemesis_hub fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 16, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I legit forgot that Finn was a stormtrooper until people brought it up

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Finn/Darth Vader imagery at the start of TLJ is another instance of a thing where there were a lot of interesting directions the film could have taken it, yet

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

I legit forgot that Finn was a stormtrooper until people brought it up

How?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

To be fair, I don't think his Stormtrooper roots are ever brought up in TLJ until he sees Phasma again—I might be wrong though, I can't remember. Either way, it would have been cool if Finn being a defector was an actual "big deal" among Resistance fighters, like they all talk about him and stuff and admire his courage. He basically represents a humanizing element to what would otherwise be masked assailants identifiable only by numbers to the Resistance. Finn starting a revolution among all the Stormtroopers he grew up and trained with would've been dope as hell.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Well, tfa is super forgettable. I was in a Walmart before TLJ came out and saw a Blu-ray for tfa and thought it was an alternate cover for one the prequels since I'd completely forgotten tfa was ever made

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

teagone posted:

To be fair, I don't think his Stormtrooper roots are ever brought up in TLJ until he sees Phasma again—I might be wrong though, I can't remember. Either way, it would have been cool if Finn being a defector was an actual "big deal" among Resistance fighters, like they all talk about him and stuff and admire his courage. He basically represents a humanizing element to what would otherwise be masked assailants identifiable only by numbers to the Resistance. Finn starting a revolution among all the Stormtroopers he grew up and trained with would've been dope as hell.

The frustrating thing is that the animated Clone Wars show even already showed how you can humanize clone (storm) troopers and yet that potential was completly wasted with Finn, he is a real nothing character. Instead of wasting time on someone like General Hux or Phasma they could have given us a Stormtrooper character we follow through the movies (maybe a friend of Finn he served with) and then the Finn/Stormtrooper relationship could be a mirror of Jedi/Sith, Rey/Kylo. I mean you could of course have used Phasma for that too but I feel she was never a good fit.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Big ol’ rumor floating around regarding a certain Obi-Wan Kenobi, in his Clone Wars armor, showing up on the Mandalorian to rescue the Child Mando after the Separatist droid attack killed his family.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Gonz posted:

Big ol’ rumor floating around regarding a certain Obi-Wan Kenobi, in his Clone Wars armor, showing up on the Mandalorian to rescue the Child Mando after the Separatist droid attack killed his family.

Good. I was having convulsions over the possibility this Star Wars media set way outside the scope of the movies might not feature a main character from the movies.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Prince Myshkin posted:

Good. I was having convulsions over the possibility this Star Wars media set way outside the scope of the movies might not feature a main character from the movies.

“*perpetual laughter*” - Kathleen Kennedy

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My god, imagine what would happen if someone who liked Star Wars was in charge of Star Wars

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

nemesis_hub posted:

Edit: like Finn leading turncoat stormtroopers while wielding a lightsaber etc, is already a much cooler idea and image than Maz, Rathtars, broom kid etc

I doubt The Resistance would like a bunch of uppity revolting former slaves on their side.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

KVeezy3 posted:

I doubt The Resistance would like a bunch of uppity revolting former slaves on their side.

I find hilarious Leia's implication at the end of TLJ that the peasants will just do what their told and defeat the FO because she orders them to despite the entire galaxy having left her to die 10 minutes prior. Someone in the ancient days of the thread said something to the effect of TLJ is obviously made under a pre-Nov. 2016 "Hillary will win" mindset and I find it hard to disagree.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

galagazombie posted:

I find hilarious Leia's implication at the end of TLJ that the peasants will just do what their told and defeat the FO because she orders them to despite the entire galaxy having left her to die 10 minutes prior. Someone in the ancient days of the thread said something to the effect of TLJ is obviously made under a pre-Nov. 2016 "Hillary will win" mindset and I find it hard to disagree.

So, uh, do you guys talk about Star Wars at any point in this thread or..? The Clone Wars is coming back soon, right?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The only EU books I ever read were these two books where Mara Jade teams up with four Stormtrooper deserters and they were way more interesting than anything they've done with Finn so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I can see how you could forget Finn being an ex-Stormtrooper since I don't think it comes up at all in TLJ

He ended TFA in a coma but that gets resolved quickly. Too bad they didn't know what to do with him so he goes off on a pointless side quest