Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Chard posted:

Does anyone know of a lightweight, wind/waterproof, and slightly insulated glove that doesn't suck? It seems like every review I read has at least a few people reporting leaks or soak-through, to the point I think what I'm trying to find might not exist. Bought some Seirus Hyperlite All-Weather gloves but they didn't pass the sink test at all so I am taking those back. I think the closest to what I want might be the Outdoor Research Versaliner, but REI doesn't seem to carry them anymore and I want to try them before buying.

The other option I'm considering is just sticking with my lovely fleece gloves and getting a wind/water mitt to go over them, but I'd like to be dexterous enough to set up camp in inclement weather without giving up hand protection.

What is the intended use? And what is the target temperature use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Chard posted:

Does anyone know of a lightweight, wind/waterproof, and slightly insulated glove that doesn't suck? It seems like every review I read has at least a few people reporting leaks or soak-through, to the point I think what I'm trying to find might not exist. Bought some Seirus Hyperlite All-Weather gloves but they didn't pass the sink test at all so I am taking those back. I think the closest to what I want might be the Outdoor Research Versaliner, but REI doesn't seem to carry them anymore and I want to try them before buying.

The other option I'm considering is just sticking with my lovely fleece gloves and getting a wind/water mitt to go over them, but I'd like to be dexterous enough to set up camp in inclement weather without giving up hand protection.

Your best bet is layering. Choose an insulating/warmth liner (Montbell Chameese, Zpacks Possumdown, etc.) and pair with a truly water-proof glove like the Showa 281 (as opposed to the 282 that has a liner). See Skurka's review here:

https://andrewskurka.com/review-showa-281-gloves-temres/

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks for the advice everyone. For my purposes the Showa 281 seems a clear winner, I'll see how a pair work with my current liner options and work from there :tipshat:

i like the smurf blue

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey. I've never done more than day hike some trails in pleasant weather and, after reading the OP, I'm not sure I understand how to layer for 40 degree wet weather. Am I going to be wearing some synthetic leggings, some "normal" synthetic pants, and then some water resistant zip up pants on top? Do I maybe store the zip up pants unless it actually rains?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Do I maybe store the zip up pants unless it actually rains?

That would be my suggestion. 40 degrees can really vary. 40 degrees and sunny might have me wearing a lot less than 40 degrees, rain and 15 mph winds. Everyone is different in how they perceive and regulate temperatures etc. Wearing three leg layers for 40 degrees and strenuous activity seems excessive. Stash the rainwear until you need it otherwise you're going to be soaked even before the rain comes. In general, you will likely start the hike somewhat cool because you will warm up once you start moving and have an extra layer or two in your bag for when you stop/if the weather gets cooler. If you're warm and comfortable at the car in your given layers, you are going to be too warm on the trail and likely will start sweating once you're moving along. I dont wear rainwear unless its raining. It usually doesn't breathe well so I dont wear it unless I have to, especially the pants.

Essentially you want to create layers that stack so that you're not having to stop and completely swap out what you're wearing for something else. You can onion peel and put things on as needed, take things off as needed.

Here would be my layer options for 40 degree wet weather:

Head
Beanie. You lose a lot of heat through your head. You might not need it but in the event the weather turns or you stop and get chilly, it will help a ton.

Torso
Base layer: (long sleeve technical shirt or long underwear for more warmth). For long underwear, I wear pretty thin stuff. Super thick long underwear can overheat very quickly and its difficult to remove once layered.
Mid layer: This needs to be insulating and since you said wet weather, avoid down since it loses its insulation once wet. Something like a decent weight wool (insulates when wet) or fleece sweater/hoodie/jacket should work.
Top Layer: Rain jacket - pretty self explanitory. It is mostly to keep you dry but it can help hold in heat but it can also cause you to sweat.
Extra layer in your bag: This is your bonus layer you will bring in your bag in case the 40º weather turns into 28º. Anything from another base layer or mid layer will do. It doesnt have to be a nuclear warmth option, just something extra that will add to what you're wearing and make the smallest difference.

Legs
Socks: Wool socks, decent weight. Wool does the best in wet weather in terms of drying, not stinking, and keeping you warm.
Base Layer: Long underwear or leggings (depending on thickness)
Outer Layer: Traditional hiking pants (non insulated synthetic, water repellent etc)
Rain Layer: Only use when needed
Optional: Leg gaiters, they keep snow out of your boots and guess what, they work pretty well for rain too. Most peoples shoes wet out in wet weather not because they stepped in water but because their pants and legs are pushing water down their legs into their boots. Put them beneath your rain pants and your feet should stay pretty dry.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thank you very much, especially for the specific examples of articles of clothing; I'd been reading about "synthetic base layer" and "soft shell" and I felt a bit like Mr. Burns, holding bottles of ketchup and catsup, paralyzed.

Edit: I know cotton = bad, but I don't know if the rain jacket I own maybe has cotton inside it's lining, is that a problem?

Double Edit: No why would it be, the lining inside shouldn't get wet, and holding water like a bath towel is the problem with cotton.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 15, 2019

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thank you very much, especially for the specific examples of articles of clothing; I'd been reading about "synthetic base layer" and "soft shell" and I felt a bit like Mr. Burns, holding bottles of ketchup and catsup, paralyzed.

Edit: I know cotton = bad, but I don't know if the rain jacket I own maybe has cotton inside it's lining, is that a problem?

Double Edit: No why would it be, the lining inside shouldn't get wet, and holding water like a bath towel is the problem with cotton.

Could be an issue depending on how wet you get, even outside the differing levels of water permeability for jackets (e.g. waterproof versus water resistant), if things are damp enough it’s definitely possible for water to get through via seams, zippers, your sleeves and neckline, etc. That’s not to say you need your jacket to be a wetsuit or some such, but just be aware of and prepared for it; if you think you’ll get drenched it could be an issue, but you can also probably survive a cotton lining for a day without a second thought, I’d say it’d only really be an issue for multi day trips or survival conditions and whatnot.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

One more thing worth mentioning: give some thought to whether/how you'll keep your pack dry. An option instead of the outermost waterproof jacket is a poncho that will go over your pack. This works best for a smaller daypack and not very well for a larger or overnight trek pack. Some packs come with a cinchable waterproof cover, others you can buy them. You can also just hose down the pack with waterproofing spray ahead of time, although that doesn't always work perfectly and likely won't work in an extended multi-hours downpour.

Regardless, if you're hiking in wet weather, put things that are in your pack and must stay dry, inside waterproof zip bags. That definitely includes toilet paper and food that isn't otherwise sealed, but for example you can also get a waterproof stuff sack for a sleeping bag.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 15, 2019

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The problem with cotton is that when it gets wet it loses its insulating ability. This is not a problem with wool, and it may or may not be a problem with synthetics, depending on the synthetic. That's where "cotton kills" comes from - wet cotton in cold weather. Any fabric, if utterly saturated in cold water (like if you fall in a lake or something), is going to be cold though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Definitely using the 20% REI coupon before it expires this time around.

Anyone have any last-minute thoughts about Goal Zero before I pull the trigger on a Sherpa 100AC?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I don't know anything about those things, but I did see this that may be interesting. 300w charger for $135.

https://www.vipon.com/product/6526122-ROCKPALS-300W-Portable-Generator-Lithium-Portable-amazon-coupons

You sign up for the site, it gives you coupon codes to use on amazon.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Definitely using the 20% REI coupon before it expires this time around.

Anyone have any last-minute thoughts about Goal Zero before I pull the trigger on a Sherpa 100AC?

I use the venture 70, I have to recharge phone/inreach/GPS/Cameras for 2 week runs, and even though one has been completely submerged and both have been damp or wet, they're both managing fine. I have a nomad 20 that works fairly well with it, but usually don't have both with me. Overall much better than any other existing power bank or solar setup I've used before.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm gearing up for a 3 day elk hunt this weekend. I've got oatmeal and Starbucks Vias for breakfasts, and House for dinners, plus a selection of Clif bars and granola bars, but I need something for lunches. I'd rather leave my stove and pot behind during the day, so something cold would be ideal. On my deer hunt I brought salami, lavash, and mustard which was good but I'm not ready to do that again so soon. Suggestions?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm gearing up for a 3 day elk hunt this weekend. I've got oatmeal and Starbucks Vias for breakfasts, and House for dinners, plus a selection of Clif bars and granola bars, but I need something for lunches. I'd rather leave my stove and pot behind during the day, so something cold would be ideal. On my deer hunt I brought salami, lavash, and mustard which was good but I'm not ready to do that again so soon. Suggestions?

Tortillas, hummus and what ever you want to go with that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Or Tortillas, peanut butter and honey. You can make them prior and roll them up so they're an easy to eat food missile.

For lunches I would just do a brick of cheese and some meat (salami etc). It's easy, relatively low mess and very filling without feeling like you're eating goo and sugar all day.

Basically put anything in a tortilla

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alternative take: pita shell with pb&j.

The shells are a bit more durable than normal bread so survive being in a backpack better and it tastes almost identical.

But tortillas are great too. I'm just offering options!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah I find that tortillas are more flexible and tear-resistant than pitas especially when it's colder out. But to each their own.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Thanks everyone, I was thinking I'd do something with tortillas and that appears to be the overwhelming consensus. Preparing peanut butter + tortillas in the morning rather than hauling the jar around with me is a good idea, since I'm setting up a "base camp" anyway.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Random gear question.

Getting ready for a long road trip in an area where the forecast is saying highs of 40 and lows of 16 Fahrenheit.

I normally keep a bunch of metal double insulated water bottles in my car for my water supply. Hydro flask and the like. Will these freeze up, or will the insulation keep it liquid?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If the daytime temps are above freezing, it's unlikely you'll be growing ice cubes. Especially if you're running the car's heater at all.

If it's sitting parked for a couple days and it's always below 32F you might have issues but it depends on a lot of things, like insulation, how much sunlight hits the car through the day, wind speeds, etc.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Will definitely be driving every day, no backpacking, just day hikes.

I get the feeling that I'll just have to roll out and see, since putting them in the freezer as a test won't account for the temperature fluctuations. There are stores I can buy water from as a last resort.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

As long as it's properly insulated, it should be good. The US Army used to issue (might still issue?) arctic canteens with a double-wall vacuum flask design.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're really worried, fill the bottles with hot tap water. The modern crop of vacuum sealed bottles will keep it steaming for almost a full day, and it'll be lukewarm for far longer.

(I always bring hot water for my cooking on road trips even in nice weather, it reduces boil times!)

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

The Rat posted:

Will definitely be driving every day, no backpacking, just day hikes.

I get the feeling that I'll just have to roll out and see, since putting them in the freezer as a test won't account for the temperature fluctuations. There are stores I can buy water from as a last resort.

I left a smartwater bottle in my car every day during work last winter and it never froze up even down to single digit days.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hey. I've never done more than day hike some trails in pleasant weather and, after reading the OP, I'm not sure I understand how to layer for 40 degree wet weather. Am I going to be wearing some synthetic leggings, some "normal" synthetic pants, and then some water resistant zip up pants on top? Do I maybe store the zip up pants unless it actually rains?

Verman’s writeup is excellent and I’m gonna pop it in the OP, but just to append some recommendations, wool fingerless glommits are just freaking great from 0-50*F.

I’ve worn these backpacking into the negatives to the rainy thirties, and they just perform great:

https://www.rei.com/product/305045/fox-river-wool-glomitts

The lack of fingertips allow you to do detail work setting up camp, and having them uncovered together inside the mitt means hands can warm up in camp. Plus they breathe super well when you’re hiking and sweating. Leather insulated ski gloves are also pretty great, the Kinco ones I have are probably the warmest gloves I’ve ever owned. Not super nimble though, which is what I like about the glommitts, they’re just very versatile and the wool in the palm has held up to wear and tear better than I expected.

I’m a huge fan of knit wools, especially alpaca, and especially in beanies. It’s high performance and super soft and comfortable.

I also like hinged balaclavas for below the twenties, as a base layer under your beanie. Sheepskin hats like Ushankas are also ridiculously warm for deep winter weather.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Anyone had any experience with hoodless sleeping bags? I've never been a fan of mummy bags and I was looking for an alternative. Quilts look like way too much work with the missing back and having to strap it on to a sleeping mat.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Can't you just, not use the hood part of a mummy bag? I would personally rather have the flexibility when I need it and just fold it out of the way when I don't

Verman fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 24, 2019

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Verman posted:

Can't you just, not use the hood part of a mummy bag? I would personally rather have the flexibility when I need it and just told it out of the way when I don't

That's a good idea. My current one I don't have too much wiggle room but yeah I could just buy a longer one so I can snuggle down and ignore the hood.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just shove my inflatable pillow into the hood to hold it in place and use it that way.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I just got a square format bag and use it unzipped as a quilt, it has a hood but there’s always an elbow thrown up on that side anyway.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

FCKGW posted:

I just shove my inflatable pillow into the hood to hold it in place and use it that way.

poo poo, this is pretty brilliant. Gonna try this in the springtime, if I remember.

As is, as a weird side sleeper, I usually end up turning my body 90 degrees inside my mummy bag and then stuffing my face into the hood.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Being a side sleeper in a mummy bag can be weird. I've woken up backwards (face in the hood) plenty of times. My body tends to move around inside vs moving with the bag as a whole.

I do the same thing in warmer weather. Pillow inside of hood, head on hood. It usually works pretty great.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Speaking of, because I'm in the market for a new bag, anyone have a square bag with hood they like? I sleep on the hot side.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Speaking of, because I'm in the market for a new bag, anyone have a square bag with hood they like? I sleep on the hot side.

I have one of these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33034554227.html
Which I'm really pleased with, nice and warm on a 0-5c night, used as a quilt, compresses small but they ship it with a mesh bag for storage. It has dual YKK zippers so you can have the footbox open if you get hot. I don't know about durability because I've only had it a couple of months.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

hemale in pain posted:

Anyone had any experience with hoodless sleeping bags? I've never been a fan of mummy bags and I was looking for an alternative. Quilts look like way too much work with the missing back and having to strap it on to a sleeping mat.

Most quilts wrap around your shoulders and have a button to connect the back like a reverse cape as well as and a foot box. You don’t really need to strap them to a mat, it’s more like 2/3 bag.

Also, this hat is incredible if you want freedom of movement but a sleeping bag around your head:

https://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/insulated-head-cover/

Crazy warm and you can strap/unstrap as need be. It’s what I take below 20 with my hammock, and it’s gotten me down well into the negatives.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
With quilts, strapping to your sleeping mat can help prevent opening up gaps or such that in cold weather would be really noticeable. I don't really do it if it's not going to be low 40's or below but at that point it can help keep drafts from forming if you move around while sleeping.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is there a dedicated flashlight thread anywhere? My dad has a 550 lumen Atactical A1 NW that he really likes, but for Christmas he wants something small enough to wear around his neck on a daily basis. Any recommendations? A lot of the things on Amazon listed as "keychain lights" look like those horrible cheap lights you get for free at Harbor Freight.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Lester Shy posted:

Is there a dedicated flashlight thread anywhere? My dad has a 550 lumen Atactical A1 NW that he really likes, but for Christmas he wants something small enough to wear around his neck on a daily basis. Any recommendations? A lot of the things on Amazon listed as "keychain lights" look like those horrible cheap lights you get for free at Harbor Freight.

Hm... I’m not sure about a dedicated thread, but it sounds like he’s really after a headlamp. That’s an absolute game changer if he doesn’t already own one.

Last time I dug into this was a little over a year ago and I’ve since settled on two headlamps as my favorite ones.

For portability, longevity, good brightness and even better nighttime green/red led mode, the black diamond Storm is phenomenal. I literally went out and bought one first time I hiked with someone who had one I was so impressed, and I recently bought another for my partner. I think there may be some issues with the latest model, don’t know if they were ironed out, but I would highly recommend this as a starting point.

For stupid brightness at home, I’ve got a Fenix 65 something or other I bought a few years ago. Heavy, metal, indestructible, stupid bright Cree LED, and uses a rechargeable 18650 cell. If he likes tacticool flashlights, a fenix light might be up his alley.

There may be other top picks from the last two years I don’t know anything about, but I’m thoroughly happy with both of those for outdoors and working on stuff at home

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Are you sure your dad wouldn't want a zap covert cane with flashlight and stun gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The overlap between flashlight enthusiasts, "every day carry" posters, and sword owners has got to be nearly 100%, right?

"This classic businessman's umbrella looks and functions just like a regular umbrella." except for the sword, I mean. Get him this, OP, it's functional AND stylish! Tape a flashlight to the handle while you're at it.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 4, 2019